Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Default ANYONE FROM PHILADELPHIA???

Hello Fellow Splitcoasters!

I am posting in the General Forum hopefully to get the most attention possible....

I'm requesting some help here for a fellow SCSer who has breast cancer and needs to stay in Philly at the Cancer Treatment Center of America for the next 6 weeks. I am hoping to find someone who lives in the area that knows of someone that participates in programs to provide temporary housing for individuals in need due to medical issues.

Maddy Mason will be undergoing radiation treatment beginning immediately after Thanksgiving, through Christmas and through the New Year. Hopefully, someone will know someone who has information on afforable temporary housing in Philidelphia. If any of you do....just pm me and I can put you in touch with Maddy!

Thanks so much!
Cindy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Gabfest Goddess

See if there is a "House of Care" near where she's getting treatment. It's a lot like a Ronald McDonald house, but for adults undergoing cancer treatments. The hospital/treatment center should have the information about it if there is one.

They are wonderful places. They monitor who comes in and out, and won't let anyone in who is infectious. It's a "safe" place for cancer patients who have lowered immune systems.

http://www.geisinger.org/locations/h...are/index.html

This is the one near me....
Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post
See if there is a "House of Care" near where she's getting treatment. It's a lot like a Ronald McDonald house, but for adults undergoing cancer treatments. The hospital/treatment center should have the information about it if there is one.

They are wonderful places. They monitor who comes in and out, and won't let anyone in who is infectious. It's a "safe" place for cancer patients who have lowered immune systems.

Thank you so much!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Bump for Maddy
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Bump for Maddy
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Die Cut Diva

I checked out the website for the center. It looks like they have services to assist patients for their treatment stay. Has your friend looked into this or called to inquire? Here's the link:

http://www.cancercenter.com/about-us/lodging-meals.cfm

I work in Philly - but unfortunately don't have contacts for what you're seeking.

I'll keep Maddy in my prayers.

Anne
Old 11-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnekView Post
I checked out the website for the center. It looks like they have services to assist patients for their treatment stay. Has your friend looked into this or called to inquire? Here's the link:

http://www.cancercenter.com/about-us/lodging-meals.cfm

I work in Philly - but unfortunately don't have contacts for what you're seeking.

I'll keep Maddy in my prayers.

Anne
Thanks Anne! She did stay there during her first round of treatment....She has been back at home for about a month and then has another 6 weeks of treatment beginning soon after Thanksgiving. She was hoping to stay there again but unfortunately they have made some changes at the Center and she is no able to get a room for this next session of treatment.

Thank you though for your thoughts and prayers for Maddy. You can click on my siggy line link if you would like to read more about Maddy. Happy Thursday!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MothermarkView Post
Thanks Anne! She did stay there during her first round of treatment....She has been back at home for about a month and then has another 6 weeks of treatment beginning soon after Thanksgiving. She was hoping to stay there again but unfortunately they have made some changes at the Center and she is no able to get a room for this next session of treatment.

Thank you though for your thoughts and prayers for Maddy. You can click on my siggy line link if you would like to read more about Maddy. Happy Thursday!
Ah - ok, that's shame there isn't a room available. I wish I was able to help more. I'll ask some of the people here in my office & see if anyone knows of a service or facility.

My mom is a breast cancer survivor (over 5 years now) so Maddy will get special prayers from me.

Anne

Last edited by Annek; 11-15-2007 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Thanks Anne! That is awesome. I had an SCS friend just pm me....Seems she has a friend that is a breast cancer survivor who lives about 40 miles from the Center who has a big house.....She is gonna talk to her and let me know tonight.....It would be wonderful if we could find someone who could help Maddy! Thanks! So glad your Mom is doing well.....can't believe how many lives are touched by Cancer!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post

CIndy - I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Philly. I'll also check around and see what I can find.

If they have anything like the house of care at geisinger - that would be wonderful. I stayed there with my dad a few times when he was having his cancer treatments at Geisinger. (Sadly he passed away from the cancer last June).

I'll do some checking and let you know what I find!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbartonView Post
CIndy - I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Philly. I'll also check around and see what I can find.

If they have anything like the house of care at geisinger - that would be wonderful. I stayed there with my dad a few times when he was having his cancer treatments at Geisinger. (Sadly he passed away from the cancer last June).

I'll do some checking and let you know what I find!!!
Hi Barb! Thanks so much! I am gonna share the information on Geisinger with Maddy. She may even be familiar with it already. Thanks so much for checking around....that is so nice of you.

I am so sorry to hear you lost your Father. Sadly, there are many cases where cancer effects families and does not end up with a happy ending! Thanks so much Barb.....You can get more details on Maddy's story if you visit the link in my siggy!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

I live in Philadelphia, but sorry to say do not have any knowledge or information about this topic. I will check around at school tomorrow, but being local means no one I know around here has ever had need of this kind of service.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MothermarkView Post
Hi Barb! Thanks so much! I am gonna share the information on Geisinger with Maddy. She may even be familiar with it already. Thanks so much for checking around....that is so nice of you.

I am so sorry to hear you lost your Father. Sadly, there are many cases where cancer effects families and does not end up with a happy ending! Thanks so much Barb.....You can get more details on Maddy's story if you visit the link in my siggy!
Cindy - here is one thing I found for Cancer Patient Lodging in the Philadelphia Area.

http://www.fccc.edu/patients/new/lodging/hosts.html - A unique nonprofit program, Hosts for Hospitals provides free or minimal cost lodging at private volunteer-host homes for out-of-town patients receiving care at Philadelphia-area hospitals and their families.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
I live in Philadelphia, but sorry to say do not have any knowledge or information about this topic. I will check around at school tomorrow, but being local means no one I know around here has ever had need of this kind of service.
Thank you so much! How wonderful for your willingness to check around..Thank you so much for being willing to see what you might find!

Hugs,
Cindy
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbartonView Post
Cindy - here is one thing I found for Cancer Patient Lodging in the Philadelphia Area.

http://www.fccc.edu/patients/new/lodging/hosts.html - A unique nonprofit program, Hosts for Hospitals provides free or minimal cost lodging at private volunteer-host homes for out-of-town patients receiving care at Philadelphia-area hospitals and their families.
Barb! Thank you so much....I tried to call Maddy after work and she wasn't home. I will try to get her tommorrow by phone and point this wonderful information out to her. Thank you so, so much......I truly appreciate you......
Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 AM   #16
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

bump for Maddy