Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2004, 12:42 PM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Default anyone ever buy something off of ebay and not get it?

I purchased some stuff off of ebay (I know bad, bad thing to do) It was some srapbooking stuff we don't carry. I did pay pal on the 6th of Aug. I still don't have the stuff. The person never emailed me until I sent her an email asking if she rec'd the money. She said she did. But still no stuff.
I emailed her yesterday asking about it, no answer yet. At what point do I report her to Ebay?
robinlynk
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
Forum Fanatic

I've waited several weeks before I received stuff I bought off of ebay. I did have to report one seller. He never replied, never sent product either. Since he was a guaranteed seller (or something like that - look for the paypal check mark by the seller name), I was able to get my money back after reporting it to paypal. Try a few more nice emails.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
Gabfest Goddess

Wait a bit, OK?
I ebayed with someone and it got lost in the mail...it took 5 weeks.
The person was super and felt bad...offered to split the cost of replacing the items in half to "make good" on the original auction.
It finally showed up. I emailed to say thanks for the patience.....she sent ME a thank you note apologizing.

The Post office where she mailed it sent it ground (I paid for air)....that was the problem.

I can't get insurance when it comes from the US - but I highly recommend paying it if you have the option....for that 1.30 you can track it and if it's lost, get your money back!! Well worth it, in my HO.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 08-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi! I buy a lot of stuff at E-bay and mostly love it!
The tension comes in waiting for it.
Did the seller have a good score after her name?
Did they have a high enough number to show they know how buying and selling works?
Are you very far fron their shipping state?
All these make a difference.
Most sellers do not communicate these days.
(They did like crazy in the old days)
Relax and wait a bit longer. It has only been 11 days since you paid.
I do not panic until 3 weeks after the date the auction closed.
Pay Pal is good as they will help if there is a problem.
You just have to contact them before the auction reaches 30 days old otherwise they can't help.
Don't leave negative feedback as of yet...
Be patient.
Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Old 08-17-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

Default Since you used paypal...

Since you used Paypal, she is supposed to ship your item in 3 or 7 days (I can't remember which) unless she outlined different terms in the auction. I would say on the 27th, you report her to PayPal. She only has 3 days to prove she mailed it to them or they will refund you and charge her back. That gives her 3 weeks but most importantly you only have 30 to seek recourse.

After you get your refund, then report her as a non-performing seller. If you leave a negative feedback, she will not be "reported" to eBay -- just to other potential buyers.

If she took a full week to mail it after your payment, it has only been 4 days. Unless the auction stated expedited shipping, don't count on it. I had one guy charge me $3.85 so I just figured the stuff is coming in a Priority mailer. Nope. He sent it media mail for $1.13 when first class would have just been $1.29.

One thing I do too is to see if they are listing or bidding one eBay. My feeling is if she has time to list/sell, she has time to email you back. You can go to the advance search and put in her ID under the search for sellers. Then check her auction start times to see if she has listed since recieving your payment.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Here's my advice - I ebay a lot (not SU stuff, though):

Give them 48 business hours to respond to your email. You say you emailed them yesterday. If that was the first email since your payment give them 48 hours from that date/time. Send her another one tomorrow unless you've heard from her.

You state you paid her 8/6 via paypal. So, she rec'd her money on 8/6 so there's no question on if she's been paid - she has.

If she is on one side of the country and you're on the other, and if she shipped your merchandise on Monday 8/9, you should get it today 8/17 or tomorrow 8/18, IF SHE shipped it on 8/9.

If she is in the same neck of the woods as you (same side of the country) then there's a problem.

Also - method of shipping: media mail can take up to eight (yes eight, that is not a typo) weeks. Check the auction and see if she specified a shipping method.

Now the good news - if your paypal account is hooked up to a major credit card (versus your bank account) you have all the power of that credit card behind you. Should you not receive your merchandise you can attempt to dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Should you not receive your merchandise and receive no contact from the seller follow the steps on the ebay site for this problem.

For future purchases: check out seller feedback before purchasing - and look at it closely. How many transactions - buying? selling? What was the date(s) of the last feedback(s)? And lastly, how long have they been an eBayer?

HTH!
Cindy Lyles
Old 08-17-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to STAMPINSTEL

I have bought many things off of ebay and have had overall great experiences. But I did have one bad one, back in feb., i bought a set of unmounted stamps and sent a check for them,the gal cashed the check and never sent the stamps.
I sent several nice emails to her asking where my stamps were,she said she had sent them , but they never did get here. Then she said she would send me a refund, which I never received either. I finally sent her an email telling her I was going to give her a poor rating.
Thankfully it was only a $6.00 purchase that I got ripped off for. I should have reported her but I have not.
Make sure you check out the sellers ratings and the comments other people leave for them.
LASTEL #3810
MY BLOG
My Gallery
Old 08-17-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
Rubber Obsessor

I will give her a few more days. She is located about 20 miles from my house. LOL
robinlynk
Old 08-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #9
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarLitStudio
Here's my advice - I ebay a lot (not SU stuff, though):

Give them 48 business hours to respond to your email. You say you emailed them yesterday. If that was the first email since your payment give them 48 hours from that date/time. Send her another one tomorrow unless you've heard from her.

You state you paid her 8/6 via paypal. So, she rec'd her money on 8/6 so there's no question on if she's been paid - she has.

If she is on one side of the country and you're on the other, and if she shipped your merchandise on Monday 8/9, you should get it today 8/17 or tomorrow 8/18, IF SHE shipped it on 8/9.

If she is in the same neck of the woods as you (same side of the country) then there's a problem.

Also - method of shipping: media mail can take up to eight (yes eight, that is not a typo) weeks. Check the auction and see if she specified a shipping method.

Now the good news - if your paypal account is hooked up to a major credit card (versus your bank account) you have all the power of that credit card behind you. Should you not receive your merchandise you can attempt to dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Should you not receive your merchandise and receive no contact from the seller follow the steps on the ebay site for this problem.

For future purchases: check out seller feedback before purchasing - and look at it closely. How many transactions - buying? selling? What was the date(s) of the last feedback(s)? And lastly, how long have they been an eBayer?

HTH!
Cindy Lyles
Excellent Advice, Cindy!!! Are you positive your paypal payment has been accepted (That happened to me once. Typo in her name so she didn't actually receive the payment)? I would go directly to Paypal and check to see the transaction was completed...

I send a LOT of email surrounding ebay auctions because as stated, sellers aren't really emailing as much as they used to (maybe they're all here on SCS! LOL).

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 08-17-2004, 01:36 PM   #10
Kookie Creator

Default more info

Something that people don't readily realize (unless they're a seller) is that even tho' a PayPal payment is "immediate" on paper, the fact of the matter is, that once the seller has elected to transfer the money from their PayPal account to their checking account, there is another 4-5 BUSINESS days before the money actually clears. This is true of e-checks using PayPal as well. It sounds weird, but it's true. As an individual, I am not willing to take the risk to ship until I know the money is there. I have been on the wrong end of a deal many times, and I am just tired of getting the raw end of it. I have had buyers pay using PayPal, and then reverse the payment DAYS later, when I would have already shipped. As a policy, I have since developed a waiting period before I ship, until I am certain the funds have gotten to my account.

And yes, I have purchased and paid for items that never arrived. You can report a seller, and what happens is that Ebay sends the seller/buyer an email message telling them that the transaction is incomplete, and basically tells the parties that "things happen", that they need to honor their agreement, and to contact the buyer/seller to complete the transaction. The parties have a certain no. of days to respond before further action can be taken. BTW, take into account that your seller may be out of town on business or vacation. Or, they might be in Florida or other coastal regions that were seriously impacted by the hurricane, and they lost connections at best, and more at worst.

In order to receive a refund, I'm not sure what you have to do from start to finish. I bought something that did not ever ship, and I never was refunded, and apparently the seller was committing fraud bigtime, b/c eventually she was banned from Ebay. Please know that this is NOT normally the case. Follow the advice posted earlier: look for the no. of transactions the seller has had, look for their feedback rating, and read their feedback. That will tell you if you're buying from a reputable seller. If you're buying from a reputable seller, you shouldn't have much to worry about. If you paid on the 6th, I'd wait a full two weeks before filing a report. Some sellers do not always ship immediately, some only ship once a week. If you paid on the 6th, and this seller's ship day was Saturday, then s/he may have just shipped them.

I once had a buyer file on me b/c she did not receive a response from me the same day she emailed me and it was a long holiday weekend. Everyone in this state goes out of town for the 4th of July weekend!! Boy, was I steamed!! She emailed me in the am. At noon she emailed me again, and again by 3:00 p.m. ALL ON THE SAME DAY -- which was Th, and the day we left town. And then on Friday, she filed a report. It was the first time she'd bought on Ebay, and she was freaking. It was resolved successfully,but there was never an issue to begin with.

But the first thing is to file a report that you did not receive your items. Go to your Ebay page, and go to the bottom. Link onto "Policies" and go to "sellers". From there, you can type in a question about not getting your items, or there will be a list of things to choose from that your situation pertains to. You can link all the way to where you report. Note: You will need the item no. Filing the initial report sends the seller an Ebay notice that they are expected to honor their end of the bargain. Usually, if a seller can, they do. When you reach the report part, it will tell you what the policy is, and what steps you need to take to get to a satisfactory resolution.

Good luck. I hope it works out well. Most of the transactions on an auction site like Ebay are favorable. But there are always a few bad apples. I hope that your situation can be readily amended, and in a manner that is favorable to you.
Becky
Old 08-17-2004, 02:07 PM   #11
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Re: more info

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky G
I have had buyers pay using PayPal, and then reverse the payment DAYS later, when I would have already shipped.
WOW - I have never had this happen. It has always been my understanding that Paypal could not reverse payments once they had been sent.

I ship next mail day if buyer pays via paypal. It has always been my understanding that the $ is in my paypal account, and if I were to elect to withdraw it from my paypal account to my designated bank account there is a 4-5 business day delay (it has pretty much been 24 - 48 business hours though).

I'll look into this and perhaps change my shipping policy...

Cindy
Old 08-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

If you do elect to file a complaint, you MUST do it BEFORE THIRTY DAYS go by. What day did the auction end? If you want to report the seller to eBay you have only thirty days from the close of the auction, not from the day you send payment for the item.

ps - don't let the seller cheat you out of the opportunity for a refund through empty promises that cause you to delay taking action. I lost 20 bucks that way when I was sold a damaged stamp set (what looked like wood grain in the photo was a huge crack nearly all the way through the block!). She apologized and promised a refund, and I returned the set to her, which was probably my biggest mistake. I shipped them back with Delivery Confirmation, so I know when they arrived. I never heard from her again, and her contact info on file was no good (just after the auction ended and I received the stamps she said she was moving a few blocks down the street). In the end, she had both the stamps AND my money, and I suspect she relisted them.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:22 PM   #13
Inking Addict

Quote:

Something that people don't readily realize (unless they're a seller) is that even tho' a PayPal payment is "immediate" on paper, the fact of the matter is, that once the seller has elected to transfer the money from their PayPal account to their checking account, there is another 4-5 BUSINESS days before the money actually clears. This is true of e-checks using PayPal as well.
I didn't realize this until someone paid via e-check on Paypal for an item that they won from me on eBay. It took three days to clear, but I made sure to e-mail the buyer to let her know what I was waiting on so she knew when to expect the item. I always like to send out an e-mail to let them know when an item shipped, but not everyone does that.

You also may want to check the listing and make sure of shipping policies. Some people have strict shipping policies like they only ship on Fridays. And sometimes people say that they will ship out an item within a week so it may be that this person is waiting to ship your item to follow their policy.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:12 AM   #14
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have only had 2 bad experiences on ebay(out of the 347 auctions I have done). One was from a guy that I had bought something from forgot what it was, well he never sent it but said he did. I did get him reported before the 30 days were up so that I got my money back from that one. The other experience I lost $29. The seller said she was on vacation so I had to wait. I emailed her when she said she was back, and all hell started to break loose for her. Pretty soon she had mega negative feedbacks, I did get 1 of the 2 auctions refunded from her, but lost the $29 from one. All I got to say is REPORT the seller BEFORE the 30 days are up!!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:11 AM   #15
Kookie Creator

I'm relatively new to ebay as a buyer, and I've sold two things myself. I haven't recieved either of the two things I have purchased, and I paid for them on July 15th! I did finally hear back from one seller who told me that my order (home decor) is being shipped directly from Morocco, and that's why it's taking so long. The other thing is a set of prints, that cost less than $10.00 total!, and it hasn't been delivered either. Both sellers have excellent feedback, etc. I think it is just hit or miss, to tell you the truth. You always have a gamble with internet auctions.
That's just my two cents!
Gretchen in SC
Old 08-18-2004, 05:25 AM   #16
Gabfest Goddess

I've had only one negative selling experience.....posted very clearly the payment was NON CC paypal. Well......the successful bidder paid with a CC......18 times!! I kept emailing her and explaining how to do it without a CC payment...so I finally explained that as she ignored the payment terms I'd leave negative feedback....so she did too saying "I'm new and wasnt sure how to pay".

The only other negative experience was purchasing a video from someone...he refused to answer emails and it took 3 months to get my video.....then HE left negative feedback saying I "needed babysitting"!! He's no longer on ebay......got kicked off as many many people emailed me asking to support them in getting him reported. Guess he ripped a lot of folks off.....

But....overall, of 36 transactions, I've only had 2 bad ones...

Old 08-18-2004, 08:22 AM   #17
Rubber Obsessor

I buy and sell lots on ebay, have for 6 years. In those 6 years I have been ripped off only 3 times. As a buyer I always try to buy from sellers that have lots of feedback. When I buy something that costs alot I always use the buyers protection paypal offers. (you get refunded and paypal goes after the seller) As a seller I know if you pay using your checking account on paypal it takes 3-4 days to clear. I always send my product out the next day after I get payment.

Has the person you bought from responed to emails?? Check the feedback rating. Good luck.

[email protected]
Old 08-18-2004, 08:34 AM   #18
Glitter Queen

Default No show orders on Ebay

Maybe give the person a warning first---say you intend to contact Ebay and leave negative feedback. That might jar 'em into action. A lady i recnetly ordered a set from sent me a message about my item. Her husband had tossed her out of the house and she couldn't get my set until September, so she offered a refund if I didn't want to wait. I told her I could be patient. She at least is trying to straighten things out. On the other hand, this person is making no effort to keep you up on why your order hasn't appeared. Hope it all turns out for you okay.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:01 AM   #19
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarLitStudio
Quote:

I have had buyers pay using PayPal, and then reverse the payment DAYS later, when I would have already shipped.
WOW - I have never had this happen. It has always been my understanding that Paypal could not reverse payments once they had been sent.

Cindy
Yeah, I had never had this happen EITHER. It was really weird. This person bought an item from me, and sent a PayPal e-check. The PayPal email that came to me informing me of the pyt. said "expected clearing date" something-or-other. The clearing date was like a week after the payment had been made. Went into PayPal check the payment status, thinking it would be cleared and I could ship the item, and it turned out the buyer had reversed the payment. Meanwhile, she was claiming the payment was made and asking me where her stuff was. Up until then, I had thought that any payment could only be reversed by the seller. Apparently I was wrong!

Thankfully, I had learned awhile back, not to ship anything until I was sure the money had cleared.