Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #121
Pearl-ExPert

I have to say something else... ..I always do...

Even though I am not super impressed or anything, I do think it's great that the company can impress almost everyone with something. Some companies are too specialized to appeal to such a broad range of tastes. So...no, I don't need a lot of stuff this year, but that's ok, I love what I do have, and next season may kill my bank account.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #122
Rubber Obsessor

I too got the new catalogue and had many thoughts about it.

I've been looking for more flowery stamps 'cause I tend to mostly buy sentiment stamps and I LOVE the silehouette stamps in this catty. They are pretty much the only stamps that interested me. I don't like the child-like art at all or the vintage stuff - no offense to those who do it's just not me.

As for the papers: I am quite disappointed actually. The supposed "christmasy" paper is not at all xmasy in my opinion - not like dashing last year - but I didn't know of SU then unfortunately! I like only a couple of the patterns whereas the last catalogue I loved so many I couldn't decide what to buy - though that could be in part because it was all so new to me!

Ribbons: my favorite accessory and I'm so disappointed (as are others by reading this). I don't like that the in colours are only in thick stuff with the lines. I wish they were available in smaller widths like last catty. And I don't see why all SU ribbons have to be SO expensive compared to other places. I don't own too many SU ribbons because of it but I like them to match so I find myself using the same colours over and over.

PS. I don't get the sock monkey thing either. Husband likes it -but I'm not buying it!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #123
Insane Embellisher

OMG, The sock monkey stuff is funny on here! I'm on the love him side, but I am still waiting for my catalog from the GREAT Jan Tink! I can't wait to see this shoe set ya'll are talking about! happy shopping girls...
Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #124
Mad Swapper

Ewwww! Sock monkeys and clowns - both of these things creep me out (SU had an awful clown stamp a few years ago). I had to keep coming up with excuses for my MIL not to find and purchase sock monkeys for my two girls year's ago. I could just see my kids falling for them and my trying to find ways of losing them (accidently, on purpose, of course!). Yup, just don't like big red noses and bottoms!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #125
Mad Swapper

I love this catalog. By the time I got to page 70, I was in trouble.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #126
Glitter Queen

Default sad about being sad

I agree with Diane clowns and sock monkeys creep me out also. I was hoping that this catty would be better than the last couple. If it were not for the accessories I would probably be in pending next quarter. Someone mentioned that they have been researching what people want. It does not seem to be impressing me or my customers. The loss of the vintage section has been mentioned. I always found at least 4 sets that I would want out of it. Lets talk about demand and money for a moment. Does anyone know what sets go for the big money on ebay? You got it, most are from the vintage. I use to look forward to the new catty but now, not so much. I do hope that the mini is better or I'll probably quit being a demo between the lack of images and not coming out with an unmounted option.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #127
Rubber Obsessor

I think the poor sock monkey is going to have to seek professional counseling -- since nobody likes him! Poor Fella!

I'm going to start a SOCK MONKEY support group!

LONG LIVE SOCK MONKEYs!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #128
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkKimmyChicView Post
I think the poor sock monkey is going to have to seek professional counseling -- since nobody likes him! Poor Fella!

I'm going to start a SOCK MONKEY support group!

LONG LIVE SOCK MONKEYs!
I love him. I ordered him on the preorder. And, I will be getting his accessories. He has very good self esteem and lets all the comments roll off.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #129
Matboard Maniac

I like the new catalog. I like the changes to the style and the layouts (although my old eyes have a lot of trouble with the tiny print).
There are a bunch of new stamp sets that I want (as well as a bunch of continuing ones that I hadn't been able to get yet).
I especially love the new level 2 hostess set Serene Spring with the adorable bunny. And the level 3 set Window Dressing has a lot of possibilities.
Although it's not my style, I think Holiday Lineup is a hoot. (I think all the reindeer are looking at Rudolph's big honking nose.)
And have you seen the bear in Under the Stars? Very fun.
There are a ton of accessories that I want. Can't wait to get the new Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware.
I really like the new In Colors - the new Designer Paper - the new Designer Brads - the pretty new ribbons - lots of cool stuff.
Of course it's easy to be enthusiastic because I have a positively wonderful SU demo. I'm a member of her Stampers Club and go to all her classes. She's a great teacher and we always have a lot of fun and learn new stuff all the time.
We're going to have a good time with the new stuff in this catalog.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:33 AM   #130
Rubber Obsessor

Default LOVE the new catty!!

I didn't care for the last catty......at all!!
But this one is lovely: there are MANY sets I would like to have.
I'm not sure if I'll buy many, though, as I think they're a bit expensive. There are so many other companies with great stamps for less! I prefer buying sets over single images, so that's a plus for SU!
Vronica
Old 08-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #131
Pearl-ExPert

I've looked through my catty twice and LOVE IT! Prolly won't be ordering right away (just spent $800 repairing my car, ouch!) and my stampin' dollars are spread between several companies. But I'll have a hard time shortening my list. And the catty is lovely eye candy.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #132
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

I am VERY excited to see my Catty (errrrrr whenever it gets here) as the sneak peaks were/are killing me.... I was a DEVOTE Bazzill paper lover, however the price comparison is a NO CONTEST DUH kinda thing...I LOVE the new In Colors and am excited for new punches (yes I have nesties too)... BUT.... I also have some O L D SU sets ,A haunting we will go, is one I just used and was cussing away at ALL THOSE LITTLE AREAS TO COLOR... LOL It seems that the newer stamps have taken away from the need to color by using colored ink and they are solid images, etc... SO...with that said I have one last thing to say... HEY MANDA!!!!!! WHERE IS MY CATTIE???????
Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 AM   #133
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
I know that lots of times new stamp sets grab you after you've seen some awesome projects created with them.

I'm sure all the fabulous SU demos here will show some adorable projects that will have us all saying, "OMGosh! I have to have that set!"

I can't wait to play with all the new "In colors!"
when i first saw the title of this thread, i thought the same thing as Gina. i'm usually not disappointed if there's not too many stamps i HAVE to have but typically, my list doesn't start growing until i see the awesome projects posted here.

my pocketbook would be in good shape if i stayed off this site

my PunchPal Too | my SU! Inventory File | my Tickets Too: shown on my website
my free downloadable calendar templates here
Old 08-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #134
Rubber Obsessor

I receieved my catty new today. I was very disappointed,I spent maybe 20 minutes looking thru it and nothing really caught my eye.I have been a die hard Su shopper for several years. good thing for all of the new companies. .What happened to all of the pretty ribbons, and the Dp is similar to what they had last year. i will not be ordering much from this catty. My Dh will be happy.I will spend my money else where
Old 08-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #135
Crimping Master

I love the new catty! I think Stampin' Up is a modern, yet classy take on the styles swarming us today. Everyone will have a different perspective on things - some people like nuts, some people don't.
I will still always love how everything matches in SU!!! I will always stick to their paper and colors so that I don't have to go searching to find ink that matches the paper.
I also love the wood mounted stamps - again, personal preference.

I think Joan B said it best - every company has it's style. While I think SU has it's style - I like the fact that there is quite the variety of images, paper, etc. I also like that their cards are not fussy - simple, sleek, and chic. Again, I think that's a personal style, but I like the fact that SU! has stayed true to themselves and not "sold out."
~Kendra
Old 08-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #136
Crimping Master

I too was rather disappointed... I was also disappointed with the catalogue about to retire as well.... I think maybe my tastes are changing....

But, as much as I thought I hated the new In Color colours, I am LOVING them!!!
Please come visit my blog.... nancy's creative mess
Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #137
Crimping Master

Okay,
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think it is the best catalog that they have put out in some time!!! I thought it was so fresh looking, and was totally WOWED by it.

Loved that they also inlcuded more samples this time as well, and loved their choices of color combinations too, we're they haven't much too my liking a year or so ago, they just keep getting better and better.

S.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #138
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am disappointed with the catalog and was with the last one as well. The cardstock is the greatest draw for me. I love the coordinating colors, matching DP and ribbon but the stamps are are disappointment to me. I don't feel SU is creating new and exciting images but rather are dusting off retired images and putting new names on them. I was especially struck by how the set Fruit Stand in the new catty is a remake of the retired Sun-Ripened sets. If you take a close look you will find many examples of renewed retired images.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #139
Pearl-ExPert

I feel this way too, what I noticed most of all was the hostess set 'Window dressing'. I swear the window, cat and snowmen are all from retired sets. It's fine to have a "look" and be recognizable as a brand but more variation is a good thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post
I am disappointed with the catalog and was with the last one as well. The cardstock is the greatest draw for me. I love the coordinating colors, matching DP and ribbon but the stamps are are disappointment to me. I don't feel SU is creating new and exciting images but rather are dusting off retired images and putting new names on them. I was especially struck by how the set Fruit Stand in the new catty is a remake of the retired Sun-Ripened sets. If you take a close look you will find many examples of renewed retired images.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #140
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mungojerryView Post
I love this catalog. By the time I got to page 70, I was in trouble.
LOL! Me, too!!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #141
Rubber Obsessor

I was hoping for something great this year,being that SU is 20 years old!!The christmas sets I was really disappointed in, I have most of them from last years mini cattys,and the new ones were just okay.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #142
Matboard Maniac

I'm not over impressed either. When a new catty comes out I usually have a $1200 wish list and I go over and over it until I bring it down to $600 or $700. I went throught this catty and had a hard time putting together a $250 wish list. I don't know if I'll even order.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #143
Cardstock Collector

I really love the new ribbon and patterned papers. As for stamps my list is pretty short so far.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #144
NwP
Kookie Creator

I just wish I could see it all. My demo lives a ways away and she and I have schedules that are difficult to sync up. I tried viewing it online but it kept loading soooo slowly and then I finally lost it altogether.

I'll try again after work tonight. I will say that some of the DP that I saw was really beautiful.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #145
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I'm in a holding pattern. I love the set Dreams du Jour. It's one I will use a lot. I actually have most of the holiday sets--I did see one Christmas one I liked, but I am going to wait and see what my demo makes of it and with it. I didn't think I'd like the new colors until I saw them. I think SU is making an effort to be competitive with other companies with sales on several sets for two months and different discounts through the end of November. They do listen, because all the colors of CS are listed with the DP in this catty. So, I'll just wait and form my opinion after I've experienced a little more. But it's good to be able to express my opinion here, whether positive or negative. Speaking of negative, I vote NO for the sock monkey. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #146
Inking Addict

I finally received my complimentary catalog from SU yesterday and I have to say I was really disappointed My husband even said, "You mean you've been waiting on this thing for how long and now you don't like anything in it?" Which, I do like some things, but nothing is grabbing my attention like I have to have!" I do like the new Hodge Podge and the designer papers. I think I was just wanting more new Christmas sets, etc. I didn't like seeing some of the Christmas sets back that were there last year. I really wish they'd go back to one catalog a year.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #147
Rubber Obsessor

only a few things...

This catalog and the last one didn't grab me. I do see some sets - the silhouette plant/flower sets and the House of Haunts Halloween. I'd buy the Curly Label punch if it wasn't captive in a whole boxed set. Then again, I'm very anxious for the Nestabilities curvy label set of dies

But more than HALF of the DP uses InColors! It's all going to go away! I'm about through with "snatching up", very quickly, before it vanishes, the InColor stuff to just have it replaced again. But I save (er, hoard?) a lot, so maybe that's just me.

And then, I always see some sets in a different light when the creative ladies here post fantastic cards using them!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 AM   #148
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by conkrotwifeView Post
I really love the new ribbon and patterned papers. As for stamps my list is pretty short so far.
Right there with you. I will be spending my money on paper, ink, and riboon. All the stamps I really like are from the last catalog and still have to be trimmed so....I'll pass on those. But i do love all the new papers, and ribbons.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #149
Kookie Creator

I miss the days when I would stalk my mailman waiting for the new caty! It was one of the best days of the year and I would have to force myself to wait until I walked back to the house and sat down to open it up.

I have not seen the new caty, I have tried to download it without any success (but a lot of frustration!) and have seen some previews. Nothing has grabbed me and so much of it over the last few years seems recycled from stuff that I already have or has been in old caty's. The only thing that peaked my interest were the new dies but then I found out that they don't fit my Cuttlebug! Crestfallen!

I think the sock monkey is original but not my thing at all. I know this would be the type of set I would use at first and then never touch again and I just can't buy those anymore. It would be on my "Been there, done that" list.

What do you think are any other original sets that are fresh that are in there for when I finally get to see this caty?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #150
Kookie Creator

I must say I was underwhelmed. What little I didlike was not new.
Oh well, I'm sure SU will go on, with or without me!

The Big Shot is a great tool, very versatile. Love it!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #151
Rubber Obsessor

I still don't have the catty and can't seem to download the online catty since it is soooo sloooowwww!! BUT, I have seen the silhouette stamps and I LOVE THEM!! I'm going to have to buy them all and all the new In Colors - beautiful!
"Let us consider how we may encourage one another toward love and good deeds." Hebr. 10:24
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #152
Die Cut Diva

I have looked at the catty on line and my first impression is there are lots of new sets I like.
I LOVE that lots of things are die cut!! I hate cutting out stamps with a passion. I will be quicker to buy a die cut set than one I have to cut. So, a big YEAH!! to SU for that.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #153
Insane Embellisher

the ONLY good thing about the slow download of the online catty was that I got my house clean yesterday....peek at few pages....clean the bathrooms.....peek at a few more pages....fold the laundry......peek....unload the dishwasher.....

from what I did see of the catty (before it stopped loading...uggggg!) I can say two things....

1. like the papers - will buy those
2. not overly impressed with the stamps - very few to add to my collection

thank goodness there are plenty of stamp companies out there to satisfy our different tastes.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #154
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love this new catty. This is my favorite so far from the catties I have seen (granted, it isn't many, but still!). I am in love with everything Bella, and everything that I placed on my new order from this catalog is ALL new stuff. I love the DSPs, I like the new ribbon options....new hardware. I am excited to see what people do with their new stamps!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #155
Matboard Maniac

The only new stamps I really like are Eastern Blooms and Pocket Silhouettes. Everything else I plan to get is stuff from prior minis that I missed out on, like some of the Christmas sets and Tart and Tangy. I hate the new Bella Rose stuff, hate the sock monkey, find the Christmas lineup disturbing and can't imagine a reason to ever buy the SU butterfly set when Papertrey did it first and did it a million times better. I'll probably be spending most of my money on designer papers, but I still wish they would stop doing this two sided thing. It drives me crazy that I have to waste one side to use the other! Oh, and I agree with whoever said they were hoping for more satin ribbon like they had in the holiday mini last year. That ribbon is scrumptious, and I wouldn't mind having it in every color SU offered!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #156
Crimping Master

I finally got a copy downloaded, and I am so dissapointed.
Not one get well set???
Don't like any of the Christmas sets.
And the only good sentiment sets I already own....
sigh.

Anne
Old 08-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #157
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe they'll do better with the holiday mini for some Christmas sets.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #158
Kookie Creator

I am also disappointed. I only found two sets I like. To me it seems like the "In colors" are very similiar to the Bold Brights line up ... my least favorite.

Tamara
Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #159
Matboard Maniac

I'm thinking the silhouhette stamps, the ones that some people are finding kinda flat, will be really good for backgrounds (with versamark) and embossing, and a lot of other techniques other than colouring or watercolouring. I'm not terribly into the look, but I can see using some of the stamps to make backgrounds more interesting, and then using something else for the focal point.

I also resisted getting in colours for a long time...but now I figure, with the amount of cards I make, I can use the paper and DP up easily...and I can always give the ink pads to girls' club at school...they're not nearly so picky about matching as I am, red is red is red!

Can't wait to get the real catalogue!

Last edited by dawndreger; 08-12-2008 at 08:15 PM..
Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #160
Cardstock Collector

my sister is a demo in Mass. I will forward this onto her.