Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-16-2004, 09:24 PM   #81
Rubber Obsessor

Default 80's

Okay, I just had to add my 2 cents! I graduated in 1980 so I spent my college years in the 80's. Remember tuxedo shirts for girls? How about saddle back pants, Izod alligator shirts, and black jelly bracelets. Remember when it was really 'cool' for guys to wear pink shirts? I used to love Thriller and I wore emerald green liquid eyeliner. I got married in 1988 and I know that popular wedding colors for that time were peach and forest green....Ugh! And didn't aerobics start to become popular at that time?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:02 PM   #82
Rubber Obsessor

"Gag me with a spoon"
Oh my, such memories - I graduated in 1984 and wore white irridescent jellys with my wedding gown in 1985. Remember - Air Supply and Chicago. AquaNet hairspray to achieve the big hair? Now I use it to seal pearl ex - who knew?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:14 PM   #83
Kookie Creator

I LOVE 80's music....i don't think anything can compare. I am starting to feel though that i am getting old. I had an argument with a young kid at work (19) about who was in Top Gun. He thought for sure it was Kevin Costner. What a hoot. I am 32. So of course i can remember going to see the show one day after school..........when i was 14 and he was barley born!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH When did 80's qualify as being retro???? Is this how are parents felt????????
Old 08-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #84
Stazon Splitcoast

Tightly rolled jeans was definitely late 80s. So was stirrup pants. I remember taking all of my Dad's button up shirts and wearing them over tank tops and stretch pants. Also, during the summer we layered tank tops!! No one would ever be caught with only one.

Is there really any other true music than that from the 80's? I still know the words to most of the songs.

My boyfriend during my senior year was into the Ramones. He also wore Vans, remember those? He had like 6 different pairs.

I remember computers in DOS. I tried to explain it to my dd (10yo) and she couldn't understand how someone could work a computer w/o a mouse! lol

Wow! Thanks for the memories!

Dawn, Class of '88!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:35 PM   #85
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinhappy
oohhhhhh! Rainbow shirts! I still remember the rainbow only being on one arm! hee hee! That had to be in the 70's.
I loved those rainbow shirts!! Me and four of my friends used to coordinate outfits and we would all wear our rainbow shirts and our dark blue Calvins on the same day! We were soooo cool! Not!

The sad thing is that when I go shopping for clothes for my 8 year old, I am seeing the clothes that I used to wear! Do you remember the oversized white big shirts that had the thin little black tie that you wore and you left the shirt unbuttoned a little? They had those for my daughter at Limited Too.

Thanks for taking me back to the 80's.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:35 PM   #86
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I graduated in 1994 as well. But love the 80s!

"Dude" is a permanent part of my vocabulary. I didn't realize it was funny until I was talking to my DH on the phone at a crop and a lady said "did she just say 'Dude'?"

My DH and I just watched UHF tonight. Weird Al with a mustache!

My DH loved Robotech as a kid, I was so into Voltron. Hello!!! Cats are so much cooler! I even had Voltron erasers!

Atari was so cool! I still have mine. I remember the day I beat my Dad's score on Yar's revenge! Yeah!

Prince before he was : the Symbol, the Artist, the Artist Formerally Known as Prince, then back to Prince.

What about Converse shoes?

I hated Banana clips! My hair was so thick that they always came undone (now I have kids and it's falling out - hahaha)

Crimping your hair was so cool! And now you can find crimpers in the store and think people are crazy who crimp their hair.

Clash of the Titans looked real.

Going to the theatre and your admission paid for two movies.

I wasn't supposed to peak at the end of Raider's of the Lost Ark, but I did anyway and got the crap scared out of me!

VHS vs BETA

Ahhhhhh ........ memories
Old 08-17-2004, 02:26 AM   #87
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh my gawd I like totally graduated in 86 like fer sure! The 80’s were like totally rad!

Anywho, I found this site a while ago and what is does is translate any website into valleytalk/VALspeak so that any for real 80's valley girl from the valley can better understand what they're are reading. Plug in SCS url (see link) it's pretty funny.

http://www.80s.com/Entertainment/ValleyURL/
Old 08-17-2004, 03:24 AM   #88
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Graduated in 86....m

Did you guys wear leg warmers too? That was the coolest thing EVER!

On another board, we all posted our BIG hair photos! LOL! Too funny. The other night we were playing canasta and I put on my 80s mix. You put that on and you cannot help but smile. First song : DEVO, Whip it! Hard not to hum along to those tunes!

We were crying we were laughing so hard. Doing the Mr. Roboto dance at the table!

My sister and I went to the Poision concert. We thought we were so cool.

And folding over your jeans and rolling them up once or twice. That was the only way to go!

Layering the polo shirts, collar up!

Layering everything. Were we not hot?

Jelly bracelets....although now they mean something.

Oh my, the memories.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:42 AM   #89
Matboard Maniac

Class of '86 here! Don't forget the wooden handled purses with the changeable monogrammed covers! J Giles Band, Foreigner, 8,6,7,5,3,o'h,9... Jenny I got you're number.

Oh, my gosh what FUN we had!

~Elaine~

-Mark Twain
Old 08-17-2004, 03:45 AM   #90
Stazon Splitcoast

Default OH!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin_n_sc
Don't forget the wooden handled purses with the changeable monogrammed covers!
~Elaine~
I remember those. I had one with the buttons (it was so COOL) so you could reverse the material or swap it for a different material bottom! And I took it babysitting one night and the friggin dog ate the handle!

Oh my.
Attached Thumbnails
beth_120.jpg  
Old 08-17-2004, 03:49 AM   #91
Stazon Splitcoast

I was Class of 91 and this is all too funny to think about how goofy we all looked!
Loved the music - as a matter of fact it is the music that we play at our crops! 80's anything!!
Too many other memories storming in to list!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:15 AM   #92
Stazon Splitcoast

The layered tank top thing is BACK! Thank goodness most of the other clothing fads stayed gone, though. Now most fashion-conscious women wouldn't be caught DEAD in tapered pants! They make your hips look huge!

Our first computer was a Commodore 64. You could plug Atari game cartridges into it -- my favorite was "Dig Dug"! My parents wouldn't buy us a video game system, but they would bring home a couple of cartridges for us to use on the computer. We still have the monitor, and used it for a TV before it became the screen for my brother's SEGA. And what about 8-bit Nintendo? Remember when that was the height of gaming achievement?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:35 AM   #93
Embossing Fanatic

I had almost forgotten about the cartoons... I loved Voltron, Thundar The Barbarian, He-Man, She-ra, the smurfs. Now I am going to have to search cartoon netowrk to see some of my favorites!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:44 AM   #94
Forum Fanatic

Anyone remember Rockabilly? Stray Cats, Sparks, Josie (the chick that sang Hey Micky)! We went dancing in Hollywood every Friday night. Funny how the 50's came back in the 80's. I still love the Brian Setzer Orchestra.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:54 AM   #95
Gabfest Goddess

OK I checked that Valley speak link and it turns this board into hysterical valley talk, like you know fer sure??

This thread is great. I remember most of it (come on! I did some drinking in high school....I can't remember EVERYTHING)!!

Crimper...check, had one
Swatch...check still have it (doesn't work but it's sentimental!)
Hypercolor....had the purple one!
Skinny leather ties...wore it with my tux shirt and tails (yes I had tails and i was actually very cool, thanks!)
Michael Jackson - cool before he melted and became La Toya
Prince...yes, we partied like it was 1999 - in 1983!!
Slouch socks.....were there any other brand?
Aqua Net ~ I swear my friend Jodie used a can a day! She had the most wicked hair wings....when she rode in a convertible half of her hair moved at once...straight up...and when it dropped I always thought it would break her nose! She always carried TWO CANS in her purse. We called her Terminal Windslick....
Now. I have not heard from anyone on the Peter Pan Leather Boot syndrome. That's where your slouch socks hid!!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 08-17-2004, 05:04 AM   #96
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcbetty
OK I checked that Valley speak link and it turns this board into hysterical valley talk, like you know fer sure??
I know it is pretty funny. I thought you guys would get a hoot out it. Try plugging other sites into as well, it's pretty funny.

Tonya
Old 08-17-2004, 05:40 AM   #97
Kookie Creator

I graduated in '87 so I am definitely a child of the 80's. Haven't seen this mentioned yet : Remember the "Flashdance" shirts??? The ones that fell off one shoulder. Had a few of those - worn with leggings and leg warmers. OH MY!

Also, remember when Pierce Brosnan was Remington Steele??

Love this thread.

Cathy
Old 08-17-2004, 05:47 AM   #98
Rubber Obsessor

Default 80's

Class of 1983 here!!! Gotta love the 80's. The 80's music beats the 90's music hands down!! Texas hair, and sticking straight up bangs. Who can beat that?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:54 AM   #99
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Blue Peanut

Holy Cow, don't have a cow, dude, dudette, dork, all those are still in my vocabulary even today!!! Everyone knows it's me when I call because the first thing out of my mouth is "Dude"!! And I still love the bands from back then, Journey, Foreigner, J Giles....I graduated in 81 right at the beginning so those were some crazy times for me. I had to have the Esprit shirts, nike tennis shoes, like the ones the cheerleaders wore, stirrup pants, baggy sweaters, all of it!! And you see alot of it coming back now!! It is funny to see. I had the feathered hair not the big hair but still used alot of spray to make sure it stayed in place!! thanks to all of you for shareing your memories with all of us!! Sometimes it is fun to be older and look back and laugh!! Take care all and keep playing those tunes dudes and dudettes!!

Renee'
Old 08-17-2004, 06:39 AM   #100
Kookie Creator

Default 80's

I graduated in 1985. I love this post, boy the memories. My favorite group was INXS. I saw them in concert, (the first concert I wasn't accompanied by my parents!) I cried a few years ago when Michael Hutchins died.

Calvin Klein jeans were a big thing where I went to school. And we all watched Dynasty!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 AM   #101
Crimping Master

Madona & Micheal Jackson ruled!

I still love Madona...but MICHEAL? oh my...and to think I had a crush on him AAHHH!

Funny that all the toys from the 80s are popular again.
CAre Bears, My Little Pony (my favorite), Cabbage Patch kids, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, transformers...ect.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:48 AM   #102

Oh! I remember all this stuff and then some! I graduated in 91 also.

For us, we wore ripped, acid wash jeans. The rippier the better! Then, we'd get those cheap canvas tennis shoes, and wear holes into them, so you could see you bright colored socks through the holes! Big sweaters 2 sizes too big worn over a tank top (or 2)

Big hair, crimped hair, spiral perms. The high fluffy ponytails. Bright pink lipstick.

Duran Duran (loved Nick Rhodes) Wham, Debbie Gibson, Bon Jovi, Poison. The very best music and I liked it all!

21 Jump street, Macgyer, and Doogie Houser were some of my fave TV shows. Remember ALF?

The toys were awesome and now they are coming back. Strawberry shortcake, my little pony, and what was the name of those little teeny tiny dolls, kind of like Barbie only way small? Glamour gals?

There was no time quite like it!

dawn

Old 08-17-2004, 06:51 AM   #103
Glitter Guru

Having another flashback from the 80's......my sisters and I would faithfully watch Pee Wee's Playhouse every Saturday morning. We would then try to imitate his scream. I still have the movie Pee Wee's big Adventure. At one time we could recite the entire movie by heart! I even had a Pee Wee watch.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:52 AM   #104
Mad Swapper

Ha! Great topic! What I remember the most is the music. I seem to be stuck in the 80s since I still prefer 80s music. Alas, I heard it termed "Old School" music yesterday which means I am officially...OLD In fact, last Sat. night we went to see Van Halen which was GREAT by the way!

Sue
Old 08-17-2004, 07:02 AM   #105
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Oh, what a fun thread to find! LOL!! I had to laugh about the "Dude, Dudette" because when I was a sailor, I use to call all of us girls "Squidette!" I graduated in 1984, so I came of age in the early 80's (and acted like a fool in the late 80's!) I remember almost all of the things here, and I loved the music! After 1989 I really only listened to Contemporary Christian music, so I can't compare the pop music from one decade to another, but we have a couple of 80's top hit kind of cd's here that my DH and I listen to occasionally. The music I was into back then was really NOT the kind I'd like in the house (very hard rock - what was I thinking??) so we don't have it, but the radio hits bring back some memories from when I was falling in love with my husband. I remember the shirts half off the shoulder, leg warmers, Alf, 21 Jump Street, and when MTV first came to northern Indiana. I remember mullets, big hair (which I never did to myself, for some reason) parachute pants, and Casey Chasem's Top 40 every Sunday afternoon. Oh, and in the mid 80's when I was a club hopper, I almost ALWAYS wore those layered tank tops with a mini skirt. I also still have the "chain bracelet" I wore back then, remember the Turquoise bracelet and matching ring, with a chain that attached them? I also had a nice gold arm band I loved to wear with those tanks. What is it about a girl and her accessories?? Nice to read all your memories, too - am I the only one who feels like I'm still 21 or 22, how can I possibly be 30 Something? I never watched that show in the 80's, I didn't get it at all, wonder if I would, now??
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Old 08-17-2004, 07:06 AM   #106
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Having another flashback from the 80's......my sisters and I would faithfully watch Pee Wee's Playhouse every Saturday morning. We would then try to imitate his scream. I still have the movie Pee Wee's big Adventure. At one time we could recite the entire movie by heart! I even had a Pee Wee watch.
Oh yeah. I was addicted to Pee Wee's Playhouse. I still love to watch Pee Wee's Big Adventure and laugh thru the whole thing.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:19 AM   #107
Dirty Dozen Alumni

'87 here!!!
Tainted Love--soft cell!!!! still one of the best songs ever!!!

I was so bad with the hairspray........had to was it 3 times to get it all out!!!

neon pink shoes with bobbie socks!

I have a photo of me wearing my "prince" clothes that is too funny. Lace pants! So ugly.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:28 AM   #108
Kookie Creator

Default 80's

I graduated in '91. This is a great thread, love the memories.

I had the tight rolled jeans and had to wear colored socks to match my shirts, and 2 or 3 pairs sometimes. What about IOU sweatshirts? I think it was late 80's, early 90's maybe. I had lots of those shirts.
I loved New Kids on the Block too, went to every concert they had here. We were actually listening to a mix cd that my 19yr old brother had while we were traveling out of town and it had new kids on the block on there, and now my 10 yr old cousin wants me to make here a cd. She loves 'The Right Stuff', so funny.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:30 AM   #109
Mad Swapper

I graduated in 1989. Thanks for the wonderful flashback reading all these posts. 80's music was the best What has happened to it since? I'm still amazed when I hear a song from the 80's that I still remember all the words!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:47 AM   #110
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERINAAAA
I LOVE 80's music....i don't think anything can compare. I am starting to feel though that i am getting old. I had an argument with a young kid at work (19) about who was in Top Gun. He thought for sure it was Kevin Costner. What a hoot. I am 32. So of course i can remember going to see the show one day after school..........when i was 14 and he was barley born!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH When did 80's qualify as being retro???? Is this how are parents felt????????
kevin costner in top gun?!
everyone knows it's tom cruise and the guy from er! ooooh and meg ryan! well, WE know.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:50 AM   #111
Polyshrink Goddess

The girls and I are seeing Prince in concert the first week of September. It's suppose to be his last tour he's ever going to ever do. That's what they all say. We are going to have fun, fun, fun! No boys are invited!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:51 AM   #112
Glitter Guru

Did anyone else carry a BOOK BAG to school vs. today's back packs? I have told my kids several times to take their bookbags upstairs to their rooms. I receive the famous eye roll and am informed that it is a backpack and NOT a bookbag.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:54 AM   #113
Glitter Guru

Hey WaterPixie. I am glad to see that I am not the only Pee Wee fan out there! I still enjoy that movie at times. My sisters and I used to give each other the "Pee Wee Herman" stare. You know the stare I'm talking about!!!!!!
Big eyes!

hee hee!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 AM   #114
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to Mama2my4

This is such a great thread! I graduated in 1992 and remember the 80's well! It is so funny to think of that era as retro. But I guess it is.

I remember movies a lot. Remember the brat pack stuff? Molly Ringwald, etc. Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, St. Elmo's Fire.

I also remember when skateboarding became popular. At least where I am from.

Jelly everything- Shoes, bracelets, purses and really big colorful earrings that matched your outfit.

"perms" with really tall bangs and lots of hair spray

Colored mascara and eyeliner- I personally liked green

Esprit and Keds, acid washed jeans with zippers at the ankle, Guess, neon anything

New Coke?!

New Wave music

I could go on and on...

Loved that era and hated it at the same time. I am so glad I survived all of that junk...

Check us out.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:20 AM   #115
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

OMG, I totally loved that show!! DH and I used to watch it and I would call my friend's 5 year old daughter....we'd "watch" it together on the phone...then later in the day she'd call me and say the secret word so I would scream!! She's now 24 and has a 2 year old.....we talked about it the last time I saw her... amazing to think so much time has passed.

Oh.....and I meant to say in my original post that those were the days when Madonna might actually have BEEN a virgin!! LOL

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 08-17-2004, 08:39 AM   #116
Rubber Obsessor

Great thread! I graduated in 1985. Funny how things are different around the country.

Anyone ever have a bi-level hair cut? Thank God that only lasted for a little while. I would still wear banana clips if I could. I had that curly hair that you all wanted and all I wanted was straight hair.

Loved the hard rock. Van Halen, AC/DC (won't let my kids listen to that now!!!) Deff Leopard, Quiet Riot. Anyone wear dad's old suit jackets with tight legged jeans and "flats"

I really loved the innocence of the '80s. The feeling of seeing your "crush" walk by. AHHH to be that giddy again.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #117
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Remember "What's grosser than gross"

And Lisa - whenever we hear Tainted Love we always say "Church Dance!"

I love watching Back to the Future. Those jeans they have him wearing are totally 80s!!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #118
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by liriel
I had almost forgotten about the cartoons... I loved Voltron, Thundar The Barbarian, He-Man, She-ra, the smurfs. Now I am going to have to search cartoon netowrk to see some of my favorites!
Sorry babe, but most of the shows on Cartoon Network that have the same names as our favorites are just sham copies of the originals. Transformers: Armada with HUMAN KIDS?!? What the heck is that?!? Stop messing with my childhood, people!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:20 AM   #119
Insane Embellisher

Okay you 80's gals
I can't relate to what y'all are talking about. I'm WAY too old. But maybe someone can help me. What is that song, and who sings it:
"Guilty feet have got no rhythem"?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:32 AM   #120
Polyshrink Goddess

I was never a big cartoon junkie, however, I did like to watch Josie and ***** Cats and Hong Kong Phooey(?).

Did any of you watch School House Rock? That was more towards the end of the 70's. Couple of my favorites, "I'm Just a Bill," "A Noun Is a Person, Place or Thing", Figure Eight" and "Conjunction Junction."

All of this nostalgia. What about candy? What was your favorite? I loved candy necklaces, wax lips, and atomic fire balls.