Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Question Another SU demo question

Can someone confirm that my understanding is correct?

Sign up in Jan 08 pay 199 (at least that's the current sign up) -- get a set of new catalogs.

Have 45 days from date demoship is activated to place first hostess order (150 or more) and qualify for 30% discount.

If the person wants to stay a demo:

Have until the end of June 08 to meet quarterly sales requirement of $300.

But, if the demo sells $300 in January 08, no further sales are required until the end of the July 1 - Sept 2008 quarter. During that quarter, must sell $300. During Oct - Dec 31 quarter must sell $300.

So the bottom line is that if someone signs up in Jan for $199, they have to sell only $900 additional for the rest of 2008, for a total committment for 2008 of 1099 (plus tax and shipping, of course).

Or am I missing something??? Geesh, this is like the tax code!! LOL

Thanks, I know this question has been asked and answered a hundred times, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #2
Glitter Guru

Yes that is correct....

You don't have to make your first quota until your first FULL quarter - so if you sign up in January you would have until the end of June to do $300...

You have 45 days in which you can place your first qualifiying party ($150) and recieve an additional 10% of instant income...

So if you sign up in Jan and wait until Feb to place your first order then not only would you get the extra 10% but it would also be during Sale-a-bration so you could earn extra free stamps...

Then July begins a new catty...

It is fairly easy to make your minimums if you have a couple of friends that will buy from you...and help you along...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think it's changed since you were a demo, so yes, that would be correct. But, if you were going to do that, wouldn't it be better to do it in February when SAB is going on? Same $$ scenario but a possible extra set or something benefit.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
Gallery Gazer

You got it, Joan! And as Jenni mentioned, if you sign up in January you will have at least until February 15 to submit your first workshop ($150 or more) order so you will be able to get SAB benefits!

And then, theoretically, you could kick back and not do anything until September, but if you can do that then you need to bottle that restraint and sell it to the rest of the rubber stamping community - LOL! We could all use some!

Just make sure whoever you sign up with is able to support you both as a hobby dmo and as a business demo if you change your mind and decide to go that route again. It's just a hunch, but I know you love to share your passion for this craft, so I'm guessing you'll be gathering up customers in no time.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
...Or am I missing something??? Geesh, this is like the tax code!! LOL...
Ain't that the truth!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually, I would LOVE to be a real demo, but will be a hobby demo for a while. Life does not permit workshops, etc. at this time, so no selling for this girl unless and until my life changes. I'll be forced to meet my minimums myself.

I have an upline selected -- my former downline!! We are simpatico!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 AM   #7
Crimping Master

I think a great many SU demos signed up just as hobby demos but life changes and many of us were able to go on and make a great business from it. Do you work outside the home? If so, when you get your starter kit you'll receive a carton of catalogs & order forms. Don't be shy to show the catalog to your friends & co-workers. And by all means show them (give them) handcrafted cards so they'll see what beautiful cards can be created with a few stamp sets & some ink & paper. Even if you don't have time to do stamping parties (workshops), you might be able to get catalog orders to help you make your sales quota without doing it by yourself. I have several downline who consider themselves just hobbiests, but yet have a few friends who order from them. Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #8
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by mungojerryView Post
I don't think it's changed since you were a demo, so yes, that would be correct. But, if you were going to do that, wouldn't it be better to do it in February when SAB is going on? Same $$ scenario but a possible extra set or something benefit.

Because SAB is shortened this year I would probably go with signing up in Jan...mainly so they can get established and get their kit and everything and be ready to go for SAB...rather than waiting to see if they have a special (who knows there might be a special in Jan) then putting in paper work the beginning of Feb and then getting your kit - then you might only have 3 weeks or less of SAB...KWIM
Old 12-05-2007, 05:58 AM   #9
Rubber Obsessor

Jen...more like rocket science . Quick question ladies what is the difference between a hobbyist demo and a regular demo? I think this may be a good jump start for someone like me.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #10
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by imbluebirdView Post
Jen...more like rocket science . Quick question ladies what is the difference between a hobbyist demo and a regular demo? I think this may be a good jump start for someone like me.
There's no official difference -- more of a way of describing yourself. Hobbyists sign up primarily to get a discount on their own purchases and then maybe sell to close friends and family to help them meet their minimums, but are not really trying to run their demoship as a business. Business demos or business builder demos are trying to get a business off the ground, which measn they try to semll much more than the quarterly minimums and try to build a large customer base that goes way beyond the people they know (can you imagine if Sam Wal tried to build wal-mart as a business with just the people he knew builg from him?).

But Stampin' Up! makes no disctinction between different demos. We all have the same quarterly minimums and we can all earn the same incentives and benefits based on how much we want to work our business. SO a hobbyist can decide one mornign that she wants to be a business builder and all she has to do is start working her busienss more.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #11
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Everyone has a different way of defining it. Basically a Hobby demo makes the minimums alone or with very few customers she may share her discount with. A regular Demo does workshops, holds classes and actively works her demoship to some degree like a job.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Like others said there really is not difference as far as basic "benefits" - instant income, preordering, etc...

To me there are three types of demos (this goes for pretty much any home based company)

Hobby - only buy stuff for themselves - don't actively participate in finding customers, holding workshops or classes - if they get an order here and there from a friend - great but if they don't they don't care...

Break-Even Demo - (AKA Help me out Demo) - Buy stuff for themselves but they have a few customers, might hold a class or two in order to earn money to cover thier addiction...basically don't care to really put themselves out there as a demo as far as holding a lot of workshops or actively looking for customers but if customers find them - GREAT - they aren't doing this to make money just cover what they want - This is what i classify myself as...

Business Demo - actively looks for new customers...books workshops and parties or holds lots of classes...actively tries to make money above and beyond money spent for supplies
Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #13
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Actually, I would LOVE to be a real demo, but will be a hobby demo for a while. Life does not permit workshops, etc. at this time, so no selling for this girl unless and until my life changes. I'll be forced to meet my minimums myself.

I have an upline selected -- my former downline!! We are simpatico!
I could give you lessons in that aspect of the 'business" It's not hard.....
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 12-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks ladies for breakin it down for me. Iwas considering SU, but think I will wait awhile. I dont want to make any decisions in haste. I just finished reading Denise's thread which got me to stop and think and make out a plan instaead of jumping in full steam ahead. Is there a thread anyone knows of for the basics for a newbie? Im gonna search now too.

Thands again
Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks ladies for breakin it down for me. Iwas considering SU, but think I will wait awhile. I dont want to make any decisions in haste. I just finished reading Denise's thread which got me to stop and think and make out a plan instaead of jumping in full steam ahead. Is there a thread anyone knows of for the basics for a newbie? Im gonna search now too.

Thands again
I'm not sure how much business information you're going to find in the general forum, since SU demos tend to do our business chatting in the SU demo forum here on SCS. However, once you become a demo you can get access to the demo forums which are filled with an absolute treasure trove of great information. Stampin' Up! also provides you with a training DVD and a series of newsletters which you can access on-line along with a monthly magazine and a ton of samples and templates on the demo website.

Also, your upline should be able to give you ideas on what to do to get started. This is something you may want to talk about when you're interviewing potential uplines. If your upline is not able to give you some reasonable sounding suggestions on how to get started, then maybe you need to find another upline who can offer you more support.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #16
Die Cut Diva

Joan... Just for clarification... your first order can be a demo order and will still be 30% off. It doesn't have to be hostess or workshop related. I'm sure that's what you meant anyway. It will be very exciting to see you come back!

ďAny time we canít solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.Ē ~Tony Blair
Old 12-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #17
Mad Swapper

If you sign up while you are a hostess, does the $199 go towards your party total? (i.e., more free stuff!)
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #18
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

No, the $199 starter kit does not count towards any hostess totals or towards your sales totals.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #19
Hardware Hotshot

I would love to hear these numbers for Canadian demos.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #20
Rubber Obsessor

If you are just a Hobby Demo, how do you work your taxes? Do you have to file as a business if you're only buying for yourself?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #21
8 Cow Woman

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post
I would love to hear these numbers for Canadian demos.
Canadian numbers are as follows:

$275 for the Starter kit (no gst/pst on it)

Minimums of $450 per quarter

30% off first order within 60 days of getting kit

Hostess benefits for a party start at $225.

These are the Canadian numbers as they stand RIGHT NOW. It is possible that they *may* be lowered in the new catty. Won't know until we see it in January though.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #22
Die Cut Diva

So Joan, you're thinking of becoming a demo again? What caused you to change your mind to become one again? I'm just curious cuz I'm a demo very seriously contemplating leaving the demoship and was wondering what your motivation was. I know it was a hard decision for you in the first place.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesh4rkView Post
So Joan, you're thinking of becoming a demo again? What caused you to change your mind to become one again? I'm just curious cuz I'm a demo very seriously contemplating leaving the demoship and was wondering what your motivation was. I know it was a hard decision for you in the first place.
First, the tax question asked above. If someone is in the US and a demonstrator for a home based business and ONLY buys things for herself, there is no tax consequence or reporting required -- because there is no earned income or write offs. The IRS does not consider the receipt of a discount for yourself under this scenario as earned income. (See your tax advisor for real advice!) The tax consequences begin once you start selling to others...I'm not planning on doing that for now.

Second, why go back?

Well, I left for a several reasons.

There were/are some things about Stampin Up that I am not thrilled about. Some -- like the angel policy -- have already changed. Others, which I will not get into, have not. I get the impression that more change is in the air over at SU, but even if it is not, I've decided to ignore the things that I don't like and welcome the things I love.

I was/am quite enchanted by other stamp companies, particularly clear ones. So much awesome stuff, I just didn't want to be limited to Stampin Up in terms of my own purchases and really didn't want to meet the minimums and buy other products as well. This is all the fault of SCS and evil bloggers with talent.

It all came to a head about a year ago when my Mom's health took a turn for the worse, and I let my demoship lapse.

So, why rejoin?

I now have a ton of wonderful non SU stamps, inks, papers, ribbons, machines, etc. But, I am spending way more on stamping than I want to or did when I was with SU, and not producing much that I like. I don't have the artistic talent and design skills that others have. I need for my products to work together and have half of the design work done for me.

So, with the distance of time, I looked back and realized that most of my best stamping was done when I stuck to "mostly" SU products. It just made my choices easier for me. Honestly, looked at stamp by stamp, product by product, there are other companies whose products I prefer. But looked at as a whole, I like what SU has to offer.

Also, I found it easier to organize my stuff when it was almost all SU.

I have a budget now for SU and non SU. There will always be room in it for some Papertreyink stamps and white paper (!!), some Lockhart images from Ellen Hutson's store (love them and her), Gina K stamps (what can I say -- she rocks!) and certainly a few Cornish Heritage Farms stamps. But, I will have to buy these all more thoughtfully.

And, I figure that after I buy the starter kit and get my first 30% discount, I can always drop the demoship if I change my mind again!

I hope this isn't "too much information" but you kindly asked.

(Shelli, you can send payment to my home address....)
Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #24
Crimping Master

Joan, welcome back! I think SU is like all companies -- there will be things we love and don't love about them. I like it that if there is a problem with something I or a customer receives, SU is great about making it right. I LOVE that everything works together. I LOVE having 2 catalogs now.... I could go on and on. Anyway, I'm sure Shelli & SU would love to see you return.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #25
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I have a question i have not yet seen anyone ask or answer...

if you become an su hobby demo ( or any term demo) and you do not make an income, what happens 3 years from now do you have to pay back taxes on all those years of "loss" after being classified as a hobby? if you have to pay back taxes then does the 20% really end up being a discount on your personal purchases or not?

its my understanding that party plan type jobs if you are not making an profit at the end of the year then, its a hobby and you could owe income taxes on it.

does that make sense?

My Blog
Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I have a question i have not yet seen anyone ask or answer...

if you become an su hobby demo ( or any term demo) and you do not make an income, what happens 3 years from now do you have to pay back taxes on all those years of "loss" after being classified as a hobby? if you have to pay back taxes then does the 20% really end up being a discount on your personal purchases or not?

its my understanding that party plan type jobs if you are not making an profit at the end of the year then, its a hobby and you could owe income taxes on it.

does that make sense?
I recommend reading this -- it is from the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...172833,00.html
Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #27
Rubber Obsessor

Just want to make sure I'm not confused I'm a brand new Demo. Just got my Demo # 2 days ago. Am I right in thinking that I have until March 30 to meet my $300 minimum? Then the by the end of June $300 again, ect.? If I order anything this month (Dec.) does that count towards my $300 that I need by March? There are a couple of the retiring sets that I want. I'm also confused about the 45 day thing. Again, does that count towards my quota?

Another question. My Upline is in NJ. I'm in Calif. for most of winter. Does SU have anything like you can get adopted by someone out here. For example, somewhere I can go to meetings, get help, etc.?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:54 AM   #28
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuannechView Post
Just want to make sure I'm not confused I'm a brand new Demo. Just got my Demo # 2 days ago. Am I right in thinking that I have until March 30 to meet my $300 minimum? Then the by the end of June $300 again, ect.? If I order anything this month (Dec.) does that count towards my $300 that I need by March? There are a couple of the retiring sets that I want. I'm also confused about the 45 day thing. Again, does that count towards my quota?

Another question. My Upline is in NJ. I'm in Calif. for most of winter. Does SU have anything like you can get adopted by someone out here. For example, somewhere I can go to meetings, get help, etc.?

Thanks for your help.
Yes, you do have until the end of March to meet your first minimum, and the end of June to meet your second minimum. Someone correct me if this has changed, but I do believe that any December purchases DO count toward your March quota.

You may want to post a thread asking if there are other SCS'ers in your area that would be willing to include you in their group meetings. I don't believe that SCS has anything "sponsored" to "get you adopted", but there are certainly other SU! demos where you are...HECK WE ARE EVERYWHERE! You may also want to check out the "Get It Together" thread to see if there is anything already planning in your neck of the woods.

My Gallery
Old 12-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Hopefully, an actual demo will respond.

I think your analysis of your obligation to meet your minimums is correct. You have until the end of March 2008. Your orders in December count towards that. I do not know if there are certain demo suppy orders that don't count towards the minimum.

The 45 day thing is important! the first order you place that is at least 150 during your first 45 days as a demo will give you a 30% discount instead of the usual 20%. That wasn't the best sentence but I think it is correct. This order will count towards your minimum.

If you place an order within the first 45 days for $75 you'll get the 20% discount. Then you place another order, within the first 45 days, and it is for $175. That latter order gets the 30% discount. They both count towards the minimum. A lot of demos like to use that first 30% order to either buy a boatload of stuff for themselves and/or hold a huge open house, workshop and try to sell a boatload of stuff!!

Your upline is your upline and there are no substitutes for folks who move around. However, if you get on SU's website there is a forum for demos to ask questions and then there is SCS' demo forum, which is full of very generous souls.... HTH
Old 12-06-2007, 03:19 AM   #30
Crimping Master

Goodness, you gals are up early!

Anything we order from the "Supply" list does not count towards our sales quota. I limit what I purchase from the supply list to order forms, hostess forms, mini catalogs, etc--NOT incentive stamp sets or Stampin' spots. If I'm going to use a stamp set or Stampin' spot as a door prize gift, I'll buy them from the catalog and NOT from the supply list, as I want to ensure that money I spend will count towards my sales.

Joan is correct, your upline remains your upline. However, if there are active demonstrators in your area many will welcome you into their group. I know I welcome anyone into mine and love sharing with them.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:13 AM   #31
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuannechView Post

Thanks for your help.
E-mail your upline and ask away - I have a downline who lives in another state and I tell her all the time e-mail me - also read your demo manual in full - that contains the basics of the entire demoship - join the demo side here at SCS...check and see if there are other demos in your area...in my area we have a group (some are upline/downline, some are orphaned, some have moved away from their upline) and we meet about once a month to discuss SU business and do a swap.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:56 AM   #32
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

First, the tax question asked above. If someone is in the US and a demonstrator for a home based business and ONLY buys things for herself, there is no tax consequence or reporting required -- because there is no earned income or write offs. The IRS does not consider the receipt of a discount for yourself under this scenario as earned income. (See your tax advisor for real advice!) The tax consequences begin once you start selling to others...I'm not planning on doing that for now.
This is exactly why I joined to be strictly a hobby demo, ordering only for myself. I do not want to have to track anything for tax purposes. If I am approached by someone who wants to place an order, I refer them to my very good friend who is also mainly a hobby demo but has a few customers (does not do workshops). She includes all her stamping income and expenses when she files her taxes. She also reports her craft fair income since she does quite well there.

I think that puts me more in the category of "executive customer" with a demo number!

ďAny time we canít solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.Ē ~Tony Blair
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #33
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikoView Post
This is exactly why I joined to be strictly a hobby demo, ordering only for myself. I do not want to have to track anything for tax purposes. If I am approached by someone who wants to place an order, I refer them to my very good friend who is also mainly a hobby demo but has a few customers (does not do workshops). She includes all her stamping income and expenses when she files her taxes. She also reports her craft fair income since she does quite well there.

I think that puts me more in the category of "executive customer" with a demo number!
OOh. I like that. Executive customer. Your approach is quite smart actually. Never get on the bad side with the IRS!!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #34
Embossing Fanatic

Joan,

Thanks for posting that question. That answered several questions I had alos. I'm signing up in Jan too! I'm so excited. I'm going to start out as a hobby demo of course, but I already have a couple of friends waiting for my first stamp camp.

Good Luck!

I can't wait.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrielleView Post
Canadian numbers are as follows:

$275 for the Starter kit (no gst/pst on it)

Minimums of $450 per quarter

30% off first order within 60 days of getting kit

Hostess benefits for a party start at $225.

These are the Canadian numbers as they stand RIGHT NOW. It is possible that they *may* be lowered in the new catty. Won't know until we see it in January though.
Also - check the SU! ad in the December issue of Canadian Scrapbooker (it's the back cover) - there's a code there to help ... (but only for Canadians ... kind of like Nanaimo bars)
Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #36
Die Cut Diva

Joan, thanks for speaking so candidly about your decision to leave and also your thoughts on rejoining.

I personally find myself spending MORE on stamping stuff even with being a demo. I recently did an analysis of the past year in spending and was seriously shocked.

I currently plan to buy enough to meet my minimum this quarter as there are many items I just *have to have* as always and will play it by ear next quarter. I suspect I will drop as I cannot continue to meet the SU minimums and buy other stuff as well (and I can't stay true to just one company - call me a rubber slut if you must!) and I really don't have the time (or interest frankly) to make it a business right now.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #37
Polyshrink Goddess

and to clarify Cobrielle's response... the Canadian Starter kit has no S&H or GST, but DOES have PST -- go figure!

HTH,
Caroline in TO
Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #38
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolineInTorontoView Post
and to clarify Cobrielle's response... the Canadian Starter kit has no S&H or GST, but DOES have PST -- go figure!

HTH,
Caroline in TO
Great to know that for all the Canadians who are reading this!! thanks for sharing!!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #39

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolineInTorontoView Post

HTH,
Caroline in TO
And in Alberta, there's no PST!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #40
Matboard Maniac

Hi, I'm new here and I'm thinking about becoming a hobbyist demo. I have two questions, though. First, does the person you sign up under get any incentive for signing new people up? Second, if I ever decided to make this a real business, how much money would I make from sales, as expressed by a percentage? I think I've seen that we get a 25% discount, right? So does that mean that the customer places an order for, say, $100 worth of merchandise, gives that amount to me plus shipping and tax, and then I would send $75 plus the shipping and tax to SU! and keep the 25%? I hope that question made sense, and thanks in advance!