Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2004, 05:00 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another question about selling cards

My daughter and I are thinking about making and selling cards at a local craft fair in November. What have you all found to be the best way to 'package' them and what seems to sell the best and, since this will be the first time we've done this, any other wise words of advice you can offer?
TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 02:27 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't *package* my cards, because people like to read the sayings inside them, and I don't want to bother printing out labels with the sayings on them. Of course, that way you may have some ruined from handling, but I think you sell more if people touch them. (I used to make soft toys and dolls to sell at craft fairs, and I always encouraged people to pick the items up. More often than not, they'd fall in love and couldn't put them down!) I have them in a clear plastic box which has dividers for the different catagories. If you have a lot you could have a separate box for each type of card. I sell quarter fold cards for $2.00. Larger cards are $3.00 or $4.00. I don't do packs of cards at a reduced rate, because most of mine are one of a kind.
That's probably more information than you needed,but I hope some of it is helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 10:35 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 218 Likes on 134 Posts

I just put mine in our clear cello bags (the large size) and leave them open at the top. That way the card is protected, but if a person wants to look at it more closely or look inside, they can just slip it out. I just put a little sticky label on the back with the price. Sometimes I add a Post-It note with the inside sentiment stamped on so people can read it without having to take the card out. I sell most of my cards for $3.00 each; larger ones or those with a lot of extras, I sell for $4.00 and $5.00.

Good Luck!
Claudia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default selling cards

I also don't package them up. People love to check them out alllll over. Only thing I watch out for are dirty hands.
Also, with selling cards with any SU sets I was told I have to stamp one of their logo stamps on the back. Now, I could be wrong on this so anyone with real knowledge help me out on this. #103016 for Handmade with Love set of four $11.95 and #102840 Handmade with Love II same price.
Have fun selling. I did this with my two daughters also and they sold extremely well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 05:10 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Re: selling cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by busystamperof5
I also don't package them up. People love to check them out alllll over. Only thing I watch out for are dirty hands.
Also, with selling cards with any SU sets I was told I have to stamp one of their logo stamps on the back. Now, I could be wrong on this so anyone with real knowledge help me out on this. #103016 for Handmade with Love set of four $11.95 and #102840 Handmade with Love II same price.
Have fun selling. I did this with my two daughters also and they sold extremely well.
You are correct. You have to use one of the stamps on the back.

You can sell them at craft shows, etc. but never in a fixed location like a store or on ebay.

I put mine in sets in cello bags with a topper--Set Sampler style. Two cards to a bag with the envies in the center and the card fronts facing out. I package them in different amounts of cellos with the topper.

Another tip - You can have the set sampler style packet for customer viewing and then put the actual cards that they will receive in stamped lunch bags with a ribbon. Stamp the bags with the same set the cards are made with for identification.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 08:08 AM   #6  
stu
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default selling cards

I have been reading this post with great interest because the people in my office have encouraged me to sell cards I make. I have a copyright stamp from SU, but am not sure if my office would be considered a "fixed location"--it is obviously not a retail store, but it is an office that stays in one place and operates year round! I am thinking the angel policy refers to retail businesses only.

Also, in order to meet SU's angel policy, do all the stamps used on the card (or box, bag, etc) have to be SU images?--I do not remember seeing anything about this in the angel policy listed on the SU website. If it is allowed to use images from other companies, do the SU images need to be listed next to the SU copyright stamp?

Thanks to everyone for reading and/or replying to this.

Stu
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 08:11 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Re: selling cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu
I have been reading this post with great interest because the people in my office have encouraged me to sell cards I make. I have a copyright stamp from SU, but am not sure if my office would be considered a "fixed location"--it is obviously not a retail store, but it is an office that stays in one place and operates year round! I am thinking the angel policy refers to retail businesses only.
I agree. I think it would be fine to sell them to co-workers. I'm sure SU! is referring to a store...coffee shop, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 08:30 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default selling cards

When i make my cards I make them in sets of 4,8,or 12...saves on the paper. I may make 12 cards the same but theme them Happy birthday, thank you, and it's your day/thinking of you. When you do this you make more cards for the time. Each summer I stamp with a friend when our kids are at camp and i stamp 100cards a day. Then I have a ton to sell in the fall..but don't forget that SU stamp for the back!! Have fun :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I actually sell cards to my mother's coworkers and friends. I have sold cards at craft fairs twice, and did pretty well. It was around christmastime a couple of years ago, before I was a SU demo. I packaged six quarter-fold cards plus envelopes in organdy bags. They were a hit!
Gretchen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 09:25 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Gretchen--how much did you sell the bag of cards for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Ladies, if you haven't found it yet scoot over to www.stamponthis.com

They have boxes - one piece clear boxes, boxes with a bottom and clear lid - they are just like boxes you purchase cards in - and are VERY professional looking. They also have cool mini steno covers with a pocket that I couldn't resist getting - gave them as teacher gifts this year...

I've had a couple of events where folks made a stack of cards and I gave them all a box - they LOVED it... and since SU doesn't have boxes I did not feel guilty in the slightest

I've sold cards at a craft event and if folks purchased 8 or more cards - I would give them a box. Again, was just very professional looking.

:-D
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 11:11 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I sold packages of six cards and six envelopes for $10.00 - most people where my mom lives won't pay more than $1.50 each for cards because they all used to get them at the dollar store - so I try to keep them as simple as possible. You can always modify the bags, putting 4-5 cards in there instead.
My local stamp store sold colored organdy bags, which is what I used, but the white ones look very pretty stamped and embossed, or just on their own!
Gretchen in SC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 03:09 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Do you find people like to have a saying inside the card, or do you tend to leave it blank?

Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2004, 04:31 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I leave some blank, but most people want a little saying on the front, and words inside too. The words in mini mates, and simple sayings I usually use on the card fronts, and then stamp Happy Birthday, Thinking of You, etc on the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 05:42 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default sayings in the inside

I leave a lot of mine blank and then I ask if they have request for a saying in the inside. I bought a book on calligraphy and taught myself and what a hit that is with the cards. It really isn't hard to learn and I really think it is all the pens doing anyhow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 06:12 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

i put my cards in a clear sleeve(clearbags.com) to protect them from the dirt and then i put them in one of our cello bags 5-6 to a bag this way when they take them out to look at them. they will not get them dirty.

Lanette Weatherspoon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 06:14 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Lots of great ideas here -- but have another question

I was wondering if you ladies who have sold cards, could share if you do this only at fall craft shows or are there other places they are popular. One of you mentioned a workplace -- that's out at mine, but I would love to do this if I could find a market.

Thanks,
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes