Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default Angel Policies question

I'm a newbie to posting, but have been reading threads here for ages. I am struggling with the Angel Policy idea. I am just starting to consider selling my cards and I was told I had to put a © on them. I wasn't really too bothered by this, until I got looking in to it. First issue - SU has 2 sets with this precious © stamp - one for $27 CDN and another for $34 CDN. I don't want any of these other stamps in the set and it annoys me to spend that much on one silly © stamp. Second issue - I use CTMH and multiple other sets. CTMH wants $10CDN for their © set. Heartfelt will at least give me a stamp for free (bless them)...but this is where my head spins...so if I use 2 stamps from different brands, a die cut and say an embossing folder, am I supposed to put ALL of those ©'s on the card? That's nuts! I seem to be hearing mixed things about the Angel Policy actually be legally binding. I was thinking I'd just cover my bases anyways...but trying to track and mark what I used in every card just makes me want to throw the whole thing in the trash. What does everyone else do? I would like to sell online as well as at local craft fairs.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann likes this post.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
Crimping Master

This is why I try to purchase most of my stamps from companies with generous angel policies. Companies like Papertrey Ink, Lawn Fawn, Avery Elle, and Mama Elephant all have generous angel policies that do not require marking the back of the card. (Double check each stamp company's website for accurate information -- I'm going off of memory.)

As far as the special "stamp sets," see if you can find something used on e-bay. You may be able to buy just one stamp at a reasonable price.

Also, if you're using something very generic -- say a stamp of a plain circle -- I wouldn't worry about copyright issues. If you're using any drawings that are immediately recognizable -- drawings of animals, etc -- make sure you follow all the rules.

Good luck!
pepperann, plkelley and bjeans like this post.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:10 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

I'm not sure on this point, but can they actually force you to use their special stamp?. Could you perhaps print off stickers for the back of cards reading something along the right lines?
pepperann likes this post.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:13 AM   #4
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Here's a very informative thread about this issue:

Stampin Up Angel Policy - query

What I took away from it is that SU!'s policy is just that - a policy- but not the law and US copyright law says as long as the copyright symbol and the company's name appear on the item, that is sufficient. That means you could create your own copyright label to stick to the back of the cards you are selling. Maybe you could even have a stamp made that has what's required (there are quite a few places that custom make stamps).
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:54 AM   #5
Hardware Hotshot

Sent you a PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the replies! So glad these companies make everything as clear as mud!
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Cardstock Collector

Yes, it's something I will consider for future purchases for sure. I have an awful lot of stamps already though and would be a shame to not use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken Paper View Post
This is why I try to purchase most of my stamps from companies with generous angel policies. Companies like Papertrey Ink, Lawn Fawn, Avery Elle, and Mama Elephant all have generous angel policies that do not require marking the back of the card. (Double check each stamp company's website for accurate information -- I'm going off of memory.)

As far as the special "stamp sets," see if you can find something used on e-bay. You may be able to buy just one stamp at a reasonable price.

Also, if you're using something very generic -- say a stamp of a plain circle -- I wouldn't worry about copyright issues. If you're using any drawings that are immediately recognizable -- drawings of animals, etc -- make sure you follow all the rules.

Good luck!
Hoboken Paper likes this post.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:35 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin_boss View Post
Thanks for the replies! So glad these companies make everything as clear as mud!
Indeed, a person might think they are deliberately trying to trip people up!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:47 PM   #9
Crimping Master

Totally understand. I have a ton of Stampin Up sets. A while back I found one of the license sets used on eBay for a reasonable price. I think that I’ve purchased cards on Etsy that just had a printed label on the back, so that might work.