Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #41
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhappyplace View Post
sure, spoken like a teacher. Do you guys really send notes home for that though. Although I think everyone mostly does phone calls now. My son lost his lunch money and the teacher was nice enough to call and let me know they looked all over for it.

Of course, my kids are angels and I'd get a good kid note home every day LOL
Believe it or not, when I was teaching (10 yrs., h.s. foreign language), I actually did set aside time one day each week to mail out 4-5 postcards to parents to let them know of something positive I witnessed or noticed about their child.

I can still remember my students telling me they were stunned when their parents confronted them with "the note from teacher" . . .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #42
Mad Swapper

Wow!!! That got ugly in a quick hurry... Glad that's over...

Anywho... I don't own any Bella's.. YET!!! But plan to someday. I'm new to stamping and have only really looked at the images and not the fact that they are UM so that was interesting to learn. Thanks!

However, I did just receive my first UM set from Purple Onion (anyone ever order from there or use any of their stamps?) To this extremely unexperienced/novice stamper, they look and seem fine to me? *dunno* I guess we'll see tomorrow how I like UM vs mounted stamps as I'm planning on finishing up a project with them then.

Sorry... didn't mean to get OT... feel free to PM me with any comments to keep this thread steered in the right direction.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #43
Die Cut Diva

TOPIC? who stays on topic? Not me. I forget what the topic is LOL

I've never used purple onion but I have seem them mentioned here without complaint before. I did get the better than hallmark stamp type stamps from VLV stamps and they seem OK.

I've also used impression obsession with no problem (I LOVE their style).

Julie, my kids need a teacher like you, that's so sweet. I think kids need to hear more often when they're doing good. In my house we earn TV/computer/video game time for good behaviour, we don't loose it for bad.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #44
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLouWho View Post
They are clearly a hot fad item. The creator, knowing that they were going to be a flash in the pan--or so she hoped, priced them high and got a frenzied following. I notice that lately they are much less seen on blogs and galleries. Their 15 minutes of fame are over. When someone creates a fad like this they price them for hot demand knowing that when the 15 minutes is over that they won't be able to give them away. Lately, stamping and scrapping have such a turn over of what's hot for such a short time, I am noticing that the hot items are outrageously priced and a year later ebay sellers can barely give them away. These are not classic style stamps ladies, and they have peaked and are on their way out. For those who really wanted them, they paid the price. The company made their bucks on their fad, but I cannot see that they offer anything with real staying power. And to answer the original question? Yes, they were purposely overpriced.
Those are some pretty strong statement, I would be interested to know where you got this *piece of knowledge* you have posted???
Old 07-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #45
Bunny's SunnyChick

My oldest is ADHD and has had his share of "bad notes". My youngest is very strong willed and has thankfully had few "bad notes"...But I have to say WE (the boys and I) absolutely treasure the "good notes"...WE have even rec'd "good mail" and that was the absolute best!

RE: Bellas
I personally LOVE them and just rec'd an awesome GC from my DSS (COORD BIG SIS). I'm going to be shopping again in just a few!!! Emily is an awesome artist and the quality is amazing. All you need is one sheet of EZ Mount and some bellas...that one sheet will last you through many bellas before you need more.

It's always nice to share our thoughts but being nice & considerate counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieHRR View Post
Believe it or not, when I was teaching (10 yrs., h.s. foreign language), I actually did set aside time one day each week to mail out 4-5 postcards to parents to let them know of something positive I witnessed or noticed about their child.

I can still remember my students telling me they were stunned when their parents confronted them with "the note from teacher" . . .
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley
Are you a member ?

Closed & Telling All: Not-So-Secret Sister Swap

Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #46
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Did ya stamp on them?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #47
Bunny's SunnyChick

Funny silly girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Did ya stamp on them?
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley
Are you a member ?

Closed & Telling All: Not-So-Secret Sister Swap

Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #48
Watercolor Wizard

I love them and if I can afford to buy what I love... I do! A Muse is pretty pricey IMHO but I love them too and I buy them too! I think the frenzy is just beginning.... wait until the bellas start showing up in print - they are fabulous and fun and well I think I'll just go play with them right now! tee hee

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me :)
Old 07-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #49
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I don't think she's with us anymore
who *was* that masked person????

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me :)
Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #50
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I got pictures for ya!

And a disclaimer: I still get a great stamped image from the Biblical Impressions stamps! It's just that the Bellas seem to be thicker.

Last edited by steubner; 10-31-2007 at 07:30 PM..
Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper View Post
who *was* that masked person????
SPEWWWWWW
Old 07-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #52
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Did ya stamp on them?
No. (hangs head in shame)

But, in my defense, I was a novice stamper at that time . . .
Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #53
Crimping Master

I got my bella stamps today and Im super happy.
Cant wait to play with them.

Overpriced? Maybe, but I buy whatever makes me happy.

As far as the company, from what I have read....
I seriously doubt she is sitting at home waiting for the next order to come in.

She's probably creating a new bella for her customers (that would be us)
to love and want to buy it.

Her customer service far excedeed my expectations. I received my order in a timely manner...and my bellas had far to travel.

hmmm.....high mileage bella.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #54
Insane Embellisher

The bellas are great. Two bellas = one very small SU set. I'd say price is right!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #55
Sassy Shani

OMG....*PIMP*
Quote:
mary lou who...betcha I know
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #56
Kookie Creator

Quote:
which ones did you get? I love them all and have found a reason to justify almost all of them. It would be easier to list what I don't own LOL

The birthday cake/present, pregnant bellas are the most useful I think. Not a lot out there like them. And I got blingabella to make engagement cards, since again, there's not a lot of those types of stamps around.
I got staceyfishabella and giddyupabella. My neices live in Wyoming and they are definitely not girly girls. They like to hunt, fish, shoot guns, ride horses and many other things that makes my mother question my little sister's parenting ability. Anyway, if I sent them cards made with the kinds of things my daughters like (kitties and flowers) they wouldn't be that excited about them. I've been on the lookout for good cowgirl stamps and saw a picture of giddyupabella for the first time in the gallery today. Now if Stamping Bella came out with hunt-an-elk-a-ella and shoots-her-own-Thanksgiving-turkey-bella I may be tempted to buy more.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #57
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPapers View Post
Now if Stamping Bella came out with hunt-an-elk-a-ella and shoots-her-own-Thanksgiving-turkey-bella I may be tempted to buy more.
That is tooo funny.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #58
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steubner View Post

And a disclaimer: I still get a great stamped image from the Biblical Impressions stamps! It's just that the Bellas seem to be thicker.
Thanks for the pictures of the different stamps!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #59
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper View Post
I love them and if I can afford to buy what I love... I do! A Muse is pretty pricey IMHO but I love them too and I buy them too! I think the frenzy is just beginning.... wait until the bellas start showing up in print - they are fabulous and fun and well I think I'll just go play with them right now! tee hee
A Muse stamps are what I started out with at my local stamp store......man oh man was I happy when I found SU! The prices were so much better than $6 or more for one itty bitty stamp!

But everybody likes something different, and if your willing to pay for what you like then so what...

I really shouldnt post when my brain is mushy.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #60
Gabfest Goddess

Okay, my turn! I think Stampingbella stamps are beautiful! They are high quality and they stamp very well. Although I only have one, (Causeabella,) I have really enjoyed using it.

On a personal note, Emily and I have had some nice conversations online. She is very generous and works very hard. She is also a very talented artist.

As far as how much one should charge for a stamp, I suppose each company must put their costs on paper and decide what they need to make their company profitable. After all, there really is no reason to be in business and work as many hours as it takes to run a rubber stamping company unless you are making some sort of living at it.

Let's keep in mind that someone who owns a company in a very small town in the middle of nowhere, probably has less expenses than someone who is running a company in midtown Manhattan. Some of our wonderful Canadian friends who own companies pay more for things like raw rubber, etc...

It's all part of doing business.

My advice- (take it for what it's worth,) Buy the things you really love and they will be worth the money. Buy things that are meaningful to you. (Causeabella means a lot to me. I would have bought that stamp if it cost twice what it does because it has a serious significance in my life.) Don't buy things just because they cost less. If you don't use them or really like them, they are truly worthless to you no matter how little you paid.

Having said all of this, yes, everyone is entitled to choose where they spend their hard earned dollars and everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion. I just thought I'd drop mine in the mix.

Hugs to all of you,
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #61
Die Cut Diva

Oh, and after hearing so many of you mentioning Viva Lasvegastamps I went to check them out and I had to get off the website in 2 seconds.

It was so awful to navigate I couldnt stand it. I think all the rubber stamps had that same effect on me too.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #62
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, thankfully I missed the visit by an old "Friend" but I'll stop by her blog later and see her rubbing her hands gleefully...

For anyone starting up a new business, cost is high. Add in the costs assiciated with doing business in Canada (see quite a few threads on the difference in CAD/USD pricing if SU) and the price will rise again. I personally know that Emily frets about every choice she makes for her babybellas and would never even think to raise the price to gouge her loyal following (what a disturbing thought) Em works hard to bring us a quality product and would rather scrap an item completely instead of a possible inferior product. Now I know that nobody said that DA BELLAS weren't a good product, but all companies price according to market value. Cost of goods sold must be equal to cost of production. Oh and for the record, there are other unmounted companies that I personally own cause the image was nice and the price was low that I have yet to get a good image from. I've never had a problem with the bellas and I just use double stick tape and my block.

Okay, off my soapbox and into the kitchen for another coffee......
Old 07-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #63
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Interesting comparision. That stampin' up one is cheating though- it has foam on it! (otherwise the rubber is as thick as a tire!)

Bella's might not always be as "hot" as they are right now, but I don't think they are a fly by night fad- if they were, they'd probably be gone already- and Bella (and her newer fella) are still going strong.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM   #64
Hardware Hotshot

Em, the owner of stampingbella.com has always given me such great customer service - adding things to orders (maybe two or three times LOL), shipping a special way for me that she doesn't normally offer etc. I will always love my Bellas. Sure they are a bit pricey but so is SU and this hobby in general. I think we all knew this when we signed up to be papercrafters. I whine a little and then buy more stuff LOL!

And while I can understand those who don't, I do not understand why the little Bellas seem to be particularly targeted for nonconstructive criticism. Makes me sad for Em.

Anyway I have not noticed a slowdown in their popularity - on the contrary actually.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #65
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_H View Post

And while I can understand those who don't, I do not understand why the little Bellas seem to be particularly targeted for nonconstructive criticism. Makes me sad for Em.
It's not just Bellas- people have posted opinions on both sides of the spectrum about pretty much every stamp company. But Bella lovers will notice the bella critisism more than say the "random stamp company" because they don't have strong feelings for "random stamp company".

If Bella wasn't so popular she wouldn't have naysayers. It comes with the territory, I think.

I think they are so cute, and love that new ones pop up all the time, but I still don't have any
Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #66
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_H View Post
Em, the owner of stampingbella.com has always given me such great customer service - adding things to orders (maybe two or three times LOL), shipping a special way for me that she doesn't normally offer etc. I will always love my Bellas. Sure they are a bit pricey but so is SU and this hobby in general. I think we all knew this when we signed up to be papercrafters. I whine a little and then buy more stuff LOL!

Anyway I have not noticed a slowdown in their popularity - on the contrary actually.
I have to agree with you there - why some people feel the need to get nasty and "blast" the Bellas makes no sense at all to me. We are all different and have different tastes but you don't see people going to extra lengths about why they hate such and such company (and I'm not talking about one or two posts here - the "bella haters" posts/threads are quite numerous - WAY more than any other stamp company and some are quite rude) in the same way they do the bellas.

I also don't get why ppl feel the need to start up new user accounts here on SCS to be "anonymous" so that they can freely start things up and be as rude as they want - at least have the b***s to "show your face" (I must be totally clueless as I can't figure out WHO that really is - I must have missed something - someone PM me!! ).

Back to the OP tho - personally I don't mind the price of the Bellas - I own quite a few (don't even want to know the exact number LOL!) and plan on getting more. The rubber us high quality and the images are deeply etched and I have yet to not get a good impression with them. If they were of inferiour quality THEN I would call them overpriced - but they're not.

Also Em (the owner) is a sweetheart and has given me fabulous customer service and has always been super-quick with answering my questions and whatnot. I choose to support her with my stamping $$ just as I do with all the other stamp companies that I purchase from!

To each their own.........
Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #67
Forum Fanatic

I should also add that I didn't take into consideration SU-related threads with all that - that's just a given with a site like this that used to be ALL SU so of course there's tons of negative threads about certain stamps/shiping/prices etc etc etc as there are still a LOT of SU peeps on here!! So I didn't bother to count those but of course someone will pop on and prove I'm wrong
Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I have several Bellas and UM rubber from other companies as well. The rubber quality and thickness is head and shoulders above the rest.
Ditto~~ I own one bella so far and I believe that the saying rings true for anything you buy "You get what you pay for", and it's a great product!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #69
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
It's not just Bellas- people have posted opinions on both sides of the spectrum about pretty much every stamp company. But Bella lovers will notice the bella critisism more than say the "random stamp company" because they don't have strong feelings for "random stamp company".

If Bella wasn't so popular she wouldn't have naysayers. It comes with the territory, I think.

I think they are so cute, and love that new ones pop up all the time, but I still don't have any
If you are interested in trying any images out just PM me I can send you some

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #70
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thanks Shannan for the pics~ I was amazed when I got my first bella and I thought what is this..lol BUT it stamps beautifully!!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #71
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Just wanted to say at the end of this last school year I received a positive postcard from my son's teacher. I was very impressed with the personal details she included. And of course it went into a scrapbook!

Now on to the topic at hand! I love the bellas. I didn't even worry about the price. When you want something, price is a non issue. Just look at some of things on ebay and the prices they go for. Now that is crazy. I just wish she would make a SOFTBALLbella! So if anyone else out there wants a softball bella please, please email her with a request for a SOFTBALL bella.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #72
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
No. (hangs head in shame)

But, in my defense, I was a novice stamper at that time . . .

Oh, Julie...I'm having a SAD moment....I thought you were born stamping!! **sigh**..OK, I'm over it now..lol
Old 07-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #73
Stazon Splitcoast

VERY WELL SAID GINA~ Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaK View Post
Okay, my turn! I think Stampingbella stamps are beautiful! They are high quality and they stamp very well. Although I only have one, (Causeabella,) I have really enjoyed using it.

On a personal note, Emily and I have had some nice conversations online. She is very generous and works very hard. She is also a very talented artist.

As far as how much one should charge for a stamp, I suppose each company must put their costs on paper and decide what they need to make their company profitable. After all, there really is no reason to be in business and work as many hours as it takes to run a rubber stamping company unless you are making some sort of living at it.

Let's keep in mind that someone who owns a company in a very small town in the middle of nowhere, probably has less expenses than someone who is running a company in midtown Manhattan. Some of our wonderful Canadian friends who own companies pay more for things like raw rubber, etc...

My advice- (take it for what it's worth,) Buy the things you really love and they will be worth the money. Buy things that are meaningful to you. (Causeabella means a lot to me. I would have bought that stamp if it cost twice what it does because it has a serious significance in my life.) Don't buy things just because they cost less. If you don't use them or really like them, they are truly worthless to you no matter how little you paid.

Having said all of this, yes, everyone is entitled to choose where they spend their hard earned dollars and everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion. I just thought I'd drop mine in the mix.

Hugs to all of you,
Gina K.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Interesting comparision. That stampin' up one is cheating though- it has foam on it! (otherwise the rubber is as thick as a tire!)
Sorry, I had to rip it off it's block, and I couldn't bear to unmount completely LOL
Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #75
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry, I had to rip it off it's block, and I couldn't bear to unmount completely LOL
I was totally kidding with you. Please don't feel as though I was "targeting" you in anyway. It was great to see the comparision.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #76
Stazon Splitcoast

No, girlie, I knew you were kidding! No worries!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #77
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleStamper View Post
If it's under $10 I don't really care. If I like it I buy it. A Coach purse is WAY over priced but people will go into debt to get one.
I buy my Coach purses on eBay. I took DH to a Coach outlet store and he about fell over with the prices there!!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #78
Die Cut Diva

Just a comment... The Biblical Impressions rubber looks like it is more deeply etched though. The Bella rubber does look thicker, but I don't really know how much it matters that the bottom part of the rubber is thick. I think the deeper the etching, the better the stamped image. (At least that what seems what would make the better impression.)

Kimberly

Quote:

Old 07-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #79
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaK View Post

Hugs to all of you,
Gina K.
Agreed, and well said!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #80
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodah View Post
Oh, Julie...I'm having a SAD moment....I thought you were born stamping!! **sigh**..OK, I'm over it now..lol

*giggle*