Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #41
Pearl-ExPert

Goof up. Sorry
Old 03-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

Here is Stampin' Up!s statement on wood blocks.

Why are the wood blocks in my stamp sets different colors?

Our wood blocks are made with maplewood, and as with other natural products, each block is unique. The color of the wood may differ slightly—these variations enhance the wood’s overall beauty and are not considered defects.

Give your demo a call. Even though SU doesn't consider this defective, I'm sure they won't want you to be unhappy with the blocks you received, and probably will replace them.

I happen to love wood. I have a very expensive table and hutch, and the grain, colors, irregularities (as some may call them) totally add to the beauty of them.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Denise! I guess I am not picky. I don't see anything wrong with them. Wood is a natural product-not a perfectly uniform-manufactured product. Looks like Maplewood to me! Although-out of morbid curiosity, I wonder how many "perfect" blocks come from 1 tree? Guess it would depend on your idea of perfect....but I digress.

ANYWAY-I used the Alphabits at my Upline's house. They are ok. Not great, not lame....just ok. I am a progress person. Gotta see some progress, so I am not big on punching out the individual letters for words. I am more of an Alphabits as background type.
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #44
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Deeth1,

I must confess, after looking at the photo, I honestly don't consider them defective. Occasionally, I have to sand down a little of a jagged edge where the mounts were cut. The knots/streaks have never bothered me, and I usually mount the rubber where those are and put the sticker on the flip side, so it's not an issue for me.

But, I, personally, still don't consider those "defects" because they do not limit or impede the stampability of the image.

Once, I received a wood mount in a set that was entirely broken in half sorta on the diagonal. Well, that can happen, and was probably missed by the quality control inspector. And, there was really no way to mount the stamp onto it nor the sticker.

I called SU! and they replaced the wooden block in a jiffy.

On several occasions I or a customer have received a "blem" (blemish on the rubber image itself--a defect that impedes the ability of the image to imprint as it should proper), and each time I have reported it to SU!, they have replaced it without hesitation.

As was previously mentioned, it was a holiday weekend, and your demonstrator may be out of town and unable to access email. I suggest trying to contact her again so she can go through the channels with SU!
Old 03-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #45
Insane Embellisher

Default Wood blocks

Thanks for all your imput. As most of you are demos, I can understand your loyalty to your employer.

However, I am looking at this issue through the eyes of a consumer who has LOTS of wonderful rubber stamp companies just begging me to buy their products.

In order to make a truly unbaised evaluation, I got out the stamps from last months ATRS order and placed them on my dining room table next to the Alphabits stamp set from SU.

I have compared the quality of the wood, the rubber and designs and I gotta say that the Penny Black and Just For Fun background stamps scored far higher points with me on their quality and price. The large Just For Fun background stamp cost me $11 vs $16 for SU background stamps and the Just For Fun wood is in perfect condition and it's already mounted for me. Same with the Penny Black stamps. The PB designs look a lot like SU's Art of Life and I didn't have to buy $400 to get the stamp. And since they have already mounted them for me, I can just open my box from UPS and stamp away without any delay.

For all of you who feel that SU's quality of wood is fine, I agree you should keep buying their sets. As for me I plan to buy Penny Black, Just For Fun, Magenta and Art Impressions from now on.

Since my mom and I combined spent about $700 last year on rubber stamps, cardstock and other supplies, it won't make that much of a difference to SU if I don't buy anymore from them, but I am sure the other companies will be happy to have our business.

In the past year I have rec'd a SU punch that didn't work, rubber stamps with bubbles in them, ink pads that sag in the middle and cardstock that cracked, so the wood is just the final straw.

BTW - I did hear from my demo and she is going to find out if SU will replace the wood blocks or if I can return the set if they won't. Since this will be my last SU order, the quality or lack of SU quality isn't going to be an issue for me any longer.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #46
Sassy Shani

oh my word!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

Let's get back to the REAL issue.....I just had another thought about the Alphabits....

If you are gonna use the Craft White to stamp them on BBlack....LET IT DRY THOUROUGHLY before you try to punch it. Otherwise, smear city!
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Old 03-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #48
Matboard Maniac

I'm with the others...not a darn thing wrong with those blocks. Turn them over and put the rubber on the darker side. If you are that difficult to please, $700 or not in orders last year...your demo may be thrilled that you are jumping ship. My tag line may have to read...

"Tell it like it is"
Old 03-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #49
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackay121104
I'm with the others...not a darn thing wrong with those blocks. Turn them over and put the rubber on the darker side. If you are that difficult to please, $700 or not in orders last year...your demo may be thrilled that you are jumping ship. My tag line may have to read...

"Tell it like it is"
Well said!! and good riddance to someone who complains as much as you.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #50
Forum Fanatic

Now, now, let's play nicely. It's okay to think what you want, but you don't have to say it. For what it is worth, I don't think there's anything wrong with the blocks, but let's not be mean.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #51
Matboard Maniac

I'm always nice.

I was simply pointing out that perhaps if she doesn't like the products, she should go elsewhere (which she is) and the fact that she is clearly difficult to please, her leaving, may make her current demo happy that she has "had it" with SU! Sorry if I have offended anyone.
Walnut Creek, California
email: [email protected]

Know someone who is buying or selling real estate? Relocating to the Bay Area? Let me know, I LOVE referrals!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #52
Matboard Maniac

Wow, I must be really easy... regardless of the company, if it doesn't affect the stamping quality, it doesn't bother me at all. I kinda like the wood grain effects.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:58 AM   #53
Mad Swapper

Looks like wood to me too! I think it's fine....i've never had any problems with their wood or their stamps!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #54
Glitter Queen

Please! ....give me a break! It is wood. It is maple and the grains and knots are a natural part of it. Unless there is a split that could eventually crack ...Get Over It! However, SU! will replace it if you are too "knit picky" .
Old 03-29-2005, 12:30 PM   #55
Kookie Creator

I've been stamping for 6 years. Found this site last year and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I've met so many nice people and was just considering becoming a SU Demo.
I'm really shocked at the lashing out on this dissatisfied customer. Some of you are SU Demo's and even if you think she is being a picky customer, as a professional you should be adult enough to refrain from these negative comments. It would be so much better if you said nothing rather than hurt her feelings further by disagreeing with her assessment. She also mentioned other disappointments she has experienced along the way so she has a right to be critical and dissatisfied. Also, why would any adult waste the time to post any more negative comments to add insult to injury after this customer reached a breaking point? I certainly hope that this is not an example of what the Stampin' Up family will be like. If she ever want to purchase SU products from a Demo who believes in customer service she is welcome to contact me when and if that ever happens for me or her. I'm really disappointed.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:43 PM   #56
Hardware Hotshot

Default Re: Wood blocks

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1

In order to make a truly unbaised evaluation, I got out the stamps from last months ATRS order and placed them on my dining room table next to the Alphabits stamp set from SU.

I have compared the quality of the wood, the rubber and designs and I gotta say that the Penny Black and Just For Fun background stamps scored far higher points with me on their quality and price.
Ok, I'm a very *unparticular* person, so I've not had the frustration that you are now having.

However, I've got to say, that if you really want to compare these stamps, putting them on your dining room table & staring at them is not the best way.

You've got to STAMP with them to compare stamps! The best way to really tell quality is how the image looks when stamped.

I've got to say that I've seen nice pieces of wood that are stained perfectly, the rubber is machine cut & mounted and it looks just great sitting on the table, .....but the stamped image just doesn't compare to SU!'s quality. At the end of the day, I think the stamped image is what matters the most when comparing stamps. I would definitely make that the biggest factor in your comparisons.

Oh, yes, and I have the alphbits & really do like them. They are a little time consuming, but I'm not usually using them to write out paragraphs! I especially like them when doing scrapbooking to add "multiple font" to my titles. You know the look...one or two words in a small font like Alphabits and the other word(s) in a larger font.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #57
Matboard Maniac

Hey there...clearly you have not been keeping up with her posts...she repeatedly knocks SU! products (not just in this post) and is dissatisfied with the answers that many people have given her...example: there is NOTHING WRONG with the wood she rec'd...her demo was unable to IMMEDIATELY respond to her needs and so she knocked her demo for poor customer service. She goes on to suggest that due to the fact that she is a "big spender" she should be entitled to something that she isn't getting.

She complains that a few of her stamps had "blemishes" in the rubber...um yeah, return them if they are affecting the image if not, you still can get a replacement (although a bit more difficult).

She also complains about sagging ink pads...OK...cracking cardstock...OK...moving on!

As a demo, I feel bad for HER demo having to deal with this type of complainer. (Boo hoo, my wood isn't PRISTINE I want a new set of wood or ELSE.)

I don't take threats well, my 6 year old has recently started this sort of "bargaining" and I don't put up with it. This doesn't make me a bad demo or someone that doesn't deserve to voice my opinion. I wasn't slamming anyone initially, just making a point that you CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE (and this person is one of THOSE people) her demo is better off w/out her as a customer and I am glad she has decided to stop purchasing SU! products or else some other poor demo would have to pick up where this one left off.

I can't stand people that complain about stuff just for the sheer joy of hearing themselves speak (or type). She posted in a catagory about ALPHABITS...not a post about crappy wood blocks, what to do? She clearly wanted to compain about something and took that thread over. You don't like SU! Don't buy it.

If you want to become a demo, and join the league of women who love SU! go for it, but beware...there are people (potential customers out there) that will take you for one heck of a ride.
Walnut Creek, California

Know someone who is buying or selling real estate? Relocating to the Bay Area? Let me know, I LOVE referrals!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #58
Die Cut Diva

I had planned on getting the alphabits but now I'm not too sure... Maybe I'll still get it and try it out. The set is a good price and I want to get the punches, they will be useful for other stuff, too.

Last edited by astraea54; 04-16-2005 at 04:42 PM..
Old 03-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #59
Matboard Maniac

Get the Alphabits...they are great...tedious to a degree, but great!!! LOVE THEM! An idea to adhere them without the glue, the Xyron machine refills without putting it through the machine. Just peel off the protective layer stick the letters (punched) on and then peel off like a sticker. EXCELLENT
Walnut Creek, California

Old 03-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #60
Mad Swapper

I have over 100 stamp sets and have yet to have a problem with any of the stamps or wood.

I'm not that picky. My biggest comparison in different stamp companies is mainly the designs. Stampin Up is my favorite overall. That's all that matters to me.

As for an unhappy customer, I'm sorry that the aforementioned SU customer is so unhappy. Plenty of fish in the sea. Different strokes for different folks. We all have our opinions and she's entitled to hers.

Back to alphabits, I love them! I'm mainly a scrapbooker and I think they are great for making cute phrases in combination with Phrase starters and with alphabet sets. They don't take too long when you punch 'em out, and stick 'em on a glue dot using the tweezers.

Happy stamping everyone!
Vera
Old 03-29-2005, 12:54 PM   #61
Stampin' Fool

Wow!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #62
Mad Swapper

Get the alphabit set...it's a lot of fun to use!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:43 PM   #63
Cardstock Collector

Default alphabits

Just use the Xyron 150 sticker machine for them, you just drop them in there after you punch them out and it puts adhesive on it for you in the back. it is a wonderful little machine for under $10.00
Old 03-29-2005, 01:47 PM   #64
Pearl-ExPert

Never had one, so you just peal 0ff the back like a sticker?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:19 PM   #65
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I think there are several options for gluing the punched out letters:

1. Mini Glue Dots, just use your tweezers to press to the dot, then to your project.

2. Drop it down the "X" style Xyron chute, and pull out the other end, and peel off from the adhesive and stick to your project.

3. If you have sheet style adhesive, press it against that and then to your project.

Those seem to me to be the fastest and easiest ways of all.

When I tried punching them out of a strip of card stock that had already been run through the mini xyron, I had difficulty separating the paper liner/backing from the little punched out letter so I bagged that quickly--my fingers, while tiny, just aren't nimble enough and had a devil of a time getting my fingernail in between the layers to separate them.

HTH,
Old 03-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #66
Mad Swapper

I still love the tip about laying down a strip of dotto and placing the punchouts on that. Then just rub away the dotto dots that didn't get covered....very quick and easy!
Oh.....and yes i love my alphabits!
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Old 03-29-2005, 02:52 PM   #67
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyj30
I still love the tip about laying down a strip of dotto and placing the punchouts on that. Then just rub away the dotto dots that didn't get covered....very quick and easy!
Oh.....and yes i love my alphabits!
I don't have ditto, but couldn't you run a line of mono? If any showed, erase w/ the handy dandy adhesive remover?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:56 PM   #68
Insane Embellisher

I'm really looking forward to getting mine...and I plan to use my Xyron for the adhesive...I think it'll be easier than trying to put adhesive on an individual letter. I love some of the samples I've seen using them.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:01 PM   #69
Pearl-ExPert

I bought mine, but it won't be one I reach for all the time, just because I am a fast and easy type stamper...

But I just couldn't resist the cute widdle punches that come with it....one of my absolute favorite ideas with that set was to stamp 4 of the baby rattles in Soft Subtle colors on a card front, then punch out B-A-B-Y and put each letter in the rattle handle...ADORABLE!!!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Old 03-29-2005, 03:41 PM   #70
Cardstock Collector

Default ALPHABITS

I have the set and used them last night for the first time. I have a love/hate thing going with them.

They are awful darn cute, that's true. But what a pain! I used the 1/2" punch on the "classic" alpha, and the "i" doesn't punch well. You pick up images from the other letters. I had to omit with marker to get that letter.

As for mounting them individually - they are so small that cutting them down enough to eliminate back images might undermine them so much that they won't stamp properly. That is a huge problem with the Hero Arts alpha sets - backimages, that is.

I guess omitting with marker and using the 1/2" punch is going to be the best bet. Oh, and the glue dots rock, but I like the "dotto" idea, too. Thanks for that tip.

BTW - I have complained to SU about the wood mounts myself. There is fraying or splintering on the ends as well as black streaks which indicate that their saws are dull. Also, the grooves in the sides for the handle are sometimes rough because their routers are dull, too. For those of us with sensitive hands due to arthritis or fibromyalgia, this can be a legitimate problem.

Happy stamping, all!

FAITH - FAMILY - FUN
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #71
Mad Swapper

Denise - I haven't found that the adhesive remover does a very good job of removing mono. They have a disclaimer on it that says it not for removing tape. But....you may be lucky!
SCS member #549
My Gallery
Old 03-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #72
Rubber Obsessor

For those who want to mount the Alphabit stamps, it may be better to peel off the cushion. Cushion on a tiny stamp, particularly long skinny stamps like an "l" or an "i" may cause wobbling and make it difficult to stamp. If you find you need some cushioning a magazine or mouse pad under the paper may help.
Anita[/quote]
Old 03-30-2005, 12:33 AM   #73
Rubber Obsessor

Denise, I too have RA and am going through a hell of a flare of fibromyalgia as well, and I have to say, cute as the alphabits are, they are a pain in the @-- to use in my case.

As for the lady that complained about the wood blocks--you need to get a life. I don't know how it is I manage to find these threads at 2:30 am when I am exhausted and in pain, and I see something as petty as this, it makes me flip out and I have to really bite my tongue.

THEY ARE WOOD. FROM A TREE. NO TWO TREES ALIKE. THAT MEANS NO TWO WOOD BLOCKS ALIKE.

Geez. I love Stampin' Up. I am a Demo, and I love it. I especially love the fact that as a Demo, with my own buisness, I CAN CHOOSE who I do buisness with. Can I get an amen sisters?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:52 AM   #74
Mad Swapper

AMEN, sister Marlene!!!!
SCS member #549
My Gallery
Old 03-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #75
Polyshrink Goddess

So many topics on one thread LOL!

Alphabits: I passed because I can run any color cardstock through my printer and use any font and because I have letter sets with individual letters that are easier to use.

Wood: Will they take back the ugly wood? Sure it works, but I don't like brown, streaked wood either. One of my small ones is nearly black. I know that I will not be able to resell them should I wish. I like my stamps to look really nice!

Defective products: I have had 3 bubbled stamps since January and they replaced them all without question and very quickly. I appreciate that but was kind of bummed that I could not use my new sets for a few days because pieces were missing while I waited for replacements. As to the bad cardstock, of which I have a number of packages, I have been told that it is NOT defective and I am stuck with it.

Something is going on. The first few years I bought SU the products were perfect every time. The last 5 orders I have received there has been something wrong in at least each order and one order had 3 things wrong. I wonder if they are short staffed or something.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:30 AM   #76
Stazon Splitcoast

My alphabits are on their way...can't wait to try them!!
They are just so darn cute!!!

Surprise, surpise, surprise, Dot2dot you are just in time to chime in with your daily SU! complaint Maybe you and Deeth1 can get together and have yourselves a little SU! pitty party...because you two seem to be the ones that just happen to get all the SU! defects...or maybe you just like to complain about everything. Geesh

Old 03-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #77
Polyshrink Goddess

Excuse me Mandy, but my computer has been down the better part of the last week. Not sure what you meant about daily complaint. I am only allowed to post in agreement but others here can have their say?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:12 AM   #78
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlene Saric
Denise, I too have RA and am going through a hell of a flare of fibromyalgia as well, and I have to say, cute as the alphabits are, they are a pain in the @-- to use in my case.

As for the lady that complained about the wood blocks--you need to get a life. I don't know how it is I manage to find these threads at 2:30 am when I am exhausted and in pain, and I see something as petty as this, it makes me flip out and I have to really bite my tongue.

THEY ARE WOOD. FROM A TREE. NO TWO TREES ALIKE. THAT MEANS NO TWO WOOD BLOCKS ALIKE.

Geez. I love Stampin' Up. I am a Demo, and I love it. I especially love the fact that as a Demo, with my own buisness, I CAN CHOOSE who I do buisness with. Can I get an amen sisters?
AMEN. Since I can't even hold a big block to stamp, nor do I have the energy, or the want to feeling this bad, I will pass on them for now. There is no way I could place those little buggers where I want them, hands too uncordinated right now.
They are so cute coupled with other saying's I just love them.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:26 AM   #79
Rubber Obsessor

I like the Alphabits set and the punches. Actually, I only have the square punch so far. It was tricky in the beginning to determine how to make it work, but following is what I do:

1. Stamp alphabet of your choice on your card stock.
2. Cut the rows of letters apart.
3. Punch the letters that you need.
4. Hold the letter (with tweezers squeezing a tiny piece of the punched letter) and apply 2-Way Glue Pen glue (you only need a little).
5. Since you're holding the letter with tweezers already, getting your letter placed exactly where you want it is easy.

Word of caution: I tried running my stamped alphabet through the Xyron before I cut the rows of letters apart, but the adhesive really gunked up the punch. I also tried stamping the alphabet with StazOn onto some foil tape but it, too, really gunked up the punch. Once it occurred to me to try the tweezers, it really worked like a charm!

One thing that I'm thinking I'll try is to run the stamped alphabet through the Xyron and then just cut (wacky, not straight cuts) the letters that I need. This would be a quick way to use them since the adhesive would already be there, and you wouldn't have to mess up the punch.

HTH.

Regina
Old 03-30-2005, 09:26 AM   #80
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Please, all kindly refer to the TOS. I, personally, would like to see us ALL, demonstrators and consumers alike, keep this place a positive one.

If you are a customer and have a problem with SU! product, please contact your demonstrator privately and give her an opportunity to work those issues out with you and for you via SU!'s channels.

IMHO, that is the best recourse for any consumer to get their individual needs met.

Generally speaking, I also think it's important to remind ourselves to think about whether or not a comment we post publicly contributes in a helpful and positive way. If it doesn't, while you are entitled to your opinion, does it *really* need to be said?

I know I need to remind myself of that constantly!