Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face ACRYLIC VS RUBBER STAMPS

OK. Here's the skinny. I have lots of rubber stamps. I'm considering investing in some acrylic stamps. I know that storage space is a pro and that you can see where you are stamping better. But what do you guys think? Is it worth the investment? This is my first post ANYWHERE so don't let me down.:-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I love my acrylic stamps. They store easily and you can see the positioning very easily.

Now keep in mind I am somewhat biased as a CTMH consultant but, I think you should try them, especially alphabets (I would say buy them all and quickly - but that is my consultant side speaking) . But, perhaps you can hunt down a local CTMH consultant and see if she has a workshop you can attend to try them out. Then after trying them, you can see if you would like to invest in them.

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:12 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I have several sets of acrylic stamps that I've recently purchased (a variety of brands). I love the fact that I can see exactly where I'm stamping with them, and the easy storage. The one thing I would advise is to make sure you have craft/pigment inks to use with them - dye inks do not work well with acrylic stamps. You'll get blotchy, watery, uneven images. Pigment inks, however, work just great! You'll also need to experiment with using the right amount of pressure - acrylics need a different "touch" than regular red rubber. Try using a mouse pad under your cardstock, and a lighter hand. Just practice a little on scrap paper. Once I played around with them a little bit, I got the hang of it, and I love them! Definitely worth the investment, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Arrow different qualities of clear stamps, type/brand of ink makes difference

Hiya & welcome!

Here's what I posted in another thread:

What I've found is that there are different qualities of clear stamps *and* the type/brand of ink which I use makes a BIG difference!

I *highly* recommend everyone drop everything right now and read this thread;
Discussion on determining quality of clear stamps, inks that work best, etc. <---click! Hehehe.

There is *tonnes* of info...tips...links! Be sure to check out Linda*Loo's post #35 (she's the fab owner of A Muse). She mentions the types of inks she likes to work with.

In *general* terms:
  • Dye inks/SU! Classic = not so good for clear stamps
  • Pigment Inks/SU! Craft = great for clear stamps
  • Solvent Inks/StazOn = careful with 'em...not very good for the stamps! Take care in cleaning them; you should clean them with a proper acrylic cleaner *right away*.

But, not all dye inks are the same:
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrook
As far as dye inks on clear stamps, not all dye inks are the same, the CTMH dye ink work perfect on clear stamps, so try what you've got on hand, your results may differ.
Here's a link to a great article:
How can I tell the good from the bad? - 4 tips <---click!

I hope this helps!

PS To "season" clear stamps, I use a white eraser (red eraser for rubber stamps).

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Avonlea -- great tips. thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm an equal opportunity stamper. I have both clear and rubber, mounted and unmounted in both. I like them both. The "crispness" or lack of it with dye inks on clear stamps doesn't bother me. Plus, pigment is way too messy for my style. Anyways, pick up a cheap set and stamp away. NO STAMP is ever BAD, in my opinion

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

I would suggest you start with a quality set from a good company, like the ones listed on the Stewart Superior website. I've found My Sentiments Exactly has excellent quality of stamps, but Magenta, Gel-A-Tin, and some others should be just as good.

Clear sets from Autumn Leaves are less pricey, and the ones All Night Media sells are even cheaper, but I've found them not as nice to work with compared to MSE's clear stamps. So, if you do start with one of the cheapie sets keep in mind that they will not perform as well as others. I've read so many comments from others on how they hate clear stamps because they don't ink well and they fall off the block when you stamp with them, and this is not true for all clear stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi,
I have lots of Stampin Up! sets and some clear sets from Stampendous, Rhonna Farrer, and Clear Dollar Stamps. It's true that the ink could look blotchy. I like to use chalk ink with mine. I do like that you can see where they go and I've never had a problem with them falling off the block. I say, go for it. Buy some!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Thought I'd add that if you do buy clear stamps, make sure you buy it from someone who will be able to deal with the company to replace any problem stamp sets. The only clear stamp of many I have bought that had a problem was one from Stampendous; I emailed the company about it and they said it had not been cured properly and to take it back to the store, as Stampendous has a deal with the stores to make returns easy.

If you buy from a re-seller (someone who sells their private stamps on eBay, frex, or some of the smaller stores who can't afford a contract with stamp companies but still want to carry stamps) they won't have this deal with Stampendous and you will be relying on the seller's own customer service ethic if you get a lemon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I like (like everyone else) seeing where you are putting the stamp but......I feel the details in SU! stamps is much better. Also, by mounting the stamps your self, you can place them where ever you like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 07:03 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

A big thank you for this thread! I had seen the other thread but never checked it out because I was so disappointed in the clear stamps I had bought. I had used dye inks and no matter what I did they were blotchy. I just tried using them with pigment ink - OMG what a difference. LOVE IT!! Now I am going to have to dig them out and use them. They are from Impression Obsession if you want to check them out. http://impression-obsession.com/ They appear to be the high quality kind - you don't have to pull them apart.Forums at Splitcoaststampers

THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Don't know why my response has a link to the SCS smiley face??
Reply With Quote Likes