In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Joan B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15,807
Default About Seeking Votes....

When someone enters a contest, stamping or otherwise, shouldn't they win based on merit, and not the number of votes they can get by repeatedly going on the internet and asking for folks to vote?

I don't have a problem if someone uses his or her OWN website to do anything, but more and more bulletin boards and forums contain pleas for votes -- for themselves, their kids, etc.

I'm posting this here because I see pleas for votes in papercraft contests.

Maybe I am too old fashioned??
__________________
Dear Paperlicious is my blog...with a series on how I'm learning to improve my cardmaking by studying others.
Joan B is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Die Cut Diva
 
babydal57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,662
Default

Joan, I don't like it either to be honest. I just skip on by and never do it.
__________________
Deb

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
babydal57 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
Hardware Hotshot
 
Scrapjanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The City That Never Sleeps
Posts: 4,662
Default

I agree. That's why I neither vote in those nor enter them. They are really popularity contests and don't always result in the best person winning.
Scrapjanny is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Gabfest Goddess
 
craftdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 7,758
Default

I agree Joan. Previously the moderators had been moving them all to Everyday Chit Chat to keep them from cluttering up the other forums. But we are now deleting such posts entirely because they actually are referrals which are not allowed by our TOS. They result only in personal gain to the poster and do not contribute to the community. You can report such posts by clicking on the asterisk at the bottom left of the post. Thanks!
__________________
Kim Wilson
my blog www.craftdoc.com
my page www.facebook.com/StampinKimWilson
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
craftdoc is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Die Cut Diva
 
mrs_hawkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 3,858
Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins
Default

I admit I had been voting for people who asked, but then when I started seeing different people request votes for the same contest I gave up. And now I find it annoying since it's occurring so often.
__________________
Heather Hawkins - Stampin' Up! Demo and new mom. I have the two best jobs ever!
stampinheather.blogspot.com
mrs_hawkins is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert
 
shellpole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Koumala Queensland Australia
Posts: 2,453
Default

Excellent...Thanks Kim for that knowledge!

Merit is best , followed by a name out of a hat...but calling every Tom, Dick and Harry to vote for you is just not right!

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftdoc View Post
I agree Joan. Previously the moderators had been moving them all to Everyday Chit Chat to keep them from cluttering up the other forums. But we are now deleting such posts entirely because they actually are referrals which are not allowed by our TOS. They result only in personal gain to the poster and do not contribute to the community. You can report such posts by clicking on the asterisk at the bottom left of the post. Thanks!
shellpole is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni
 
Jeanne S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Poofville
Posts: 53,421
Default

The reason you see so many of these around the internet is the contestants are asked to link company sites to forums in exchange for "points" toward whatever prize they are offering. Referral posts like these are not allowed here. So if you see one of these posts please report it to a Mod.
__________________
Jeanne S - Inky Paws
SCS Moderator
Jeanne S is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert
 
chickers089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,029
Default

I have clicked on the requested contests, but I don't always vote for the one beggin to be voted for. Actually, more often than not I vote for someone else.
__________________
Thirty-One Gifts Independent Consultant!
www.mythirtyone.com/LeanneL

chickers089 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
 
Cook22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 106,048
Default

Personally speaking I'm with Joan. I always ignore these, as I think competitions should be merit and not popularity. I know it's the real world, and there will always be a certain element of who knows whom, but I'm all for challenge entries where there are prizes and votes involved being anonymous .
Cook22 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 AM   #10
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver
 
MariLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 26,016
Default

I find the requests for votes annoying too.
MariLynn is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walking the Moon, aMUSEd in funKY town
Posts: 22,212
Default

Thanks for the question!

And thanks for the answer about it being against TOS and just report it if you see it.

That's all I need to know, I'm never going to be the popular kid so I don't enter anything like that.
RiverIsis is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #12
Hardware Hotshot
 
Ellibelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US--midwest
Posts: 4,466
Default

Don't like them either, someone actually posted a request to vote into a challenge blog's comment section. No card was made for the challenge, just a request to vote.
__________________
Ellibelle's Corner - My Blog
Year in Review 2019- My Own Favorites of 2019
Team Member at Allsorts and Penny Black & More Challenges
Ellibelle is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
Die Cut Diva
 
RubberLady603's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: not too far from the big mountain in n.h.
Posts: 3,490
Default

Thank-you for posting! Those threads always made me uncomfortable. First as you say the vote should be for merit and not for popularity. Second too much like free advertising for the site that they are asking you to visit.
Thanks to the mods for putting an end to this.
__________________
Dee
When all else fails... read the directions.
My brand new blog: http://craftingbythewoodstove.wordpress.com/
RubberLady603 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Mad Swapper
 
jent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SW OH
Posts: 1,744
Default

[QUOTE=Cook22;14136623]Personally speaking I'm with Joan. I always ignore these, as I think competitions should be merit and not popularity.


Another thing that has surprised me the few times I have clicked on a thread is the individual is rather new to SCS and has something like 4 posts.
jent is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
ajm
Insane Embellisher
 
ajm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 793
Default

The few times I've clicked on those links on a whim because it sounded like an interesting contest to me, I've picked someone else to vote for because I thought their work was better than the original requestor. Most of those requests I just skip over because of time, or it's got nothing to do with arts and crafts, so why would I bother.

Ann
__________________
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary code and those who don't.
ajm is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Pearl-ExPert
 
nabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pineville, NC
Posts: 2,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm View Post
The few times I've clicked on those links on a whim because it sounded like an interesting contest to me, I've picked someone else to vote for because I thought their work was better than the original requestor. Most of those requests I just skip over because of time, or it's got nothing to do with arts and crafts, so why would I bother.

Ann
I was just about to type this same reply...regardless of how I get to the contest, I always vote for the one I like the most!

Nancy
__________________
Visit my GALLERY...you know you want to...or at least I WANT you to!

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
nabush is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast
 
row4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 14,640
Default

Glad to know that now the policy is to delete these sorts of threads -- they're obnoxious. Funny, I just saw one a few minutes before finding this discussion!
__________________
Rachel
Proud SU! demo and Sci-Fi Geek!


My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
row4d is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
Splitcoast Hall of Fame
 
JulieHRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 22,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan B View Post
When someone enters a contest, stamping or otherwise, shouldn't they win based on merit, and not the number of votes they can get by repeatedly going on the internet and asking for folks to vote [for themselves]?

I don't have a problem if someone uses his or her OWN website to do anything, but more and more bulletin boards and forums contain pleas for votes -- for themselves, their kids, etc.

I'm posting this here because I see pleas for votes in papercraft contests.

Maybe I am too old fashioned??
I personally abhor "competitive" art contests and don't vote for anyone in 'em, nor do I enter 'em. But, I do agree competitions should be won by merit, not popularity votes or internet pleas.

So, I guess you can count me among the old fashioned, as well.
__________________
JulieHRR
papertrufflez.com
"So shines a good deed in a weary world." -Willy Wonka
JulieHRR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
Crimping Master
 
1mom02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: East Coast/mid-Atlantic near the beach.
Posts: 1,119
Default

I guess I am old fashioned too. I agree with Joan & Julie. I hated popularity contests in grade school and high school.

Glad to know they are considered "self promotion" and against TOS now.
__________________
Just taking it one day at a time.....
1mom02 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #20
Matboard Maniac
 
Twocatsonepup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 222
Default

Joan,
I am on your side. I won't vote in these contests because someone is "begging" for votes. If I did, I would vote for someone other than the person asking just for the principle of it.
Twocatsonepup is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
Pearl-ExPert
 
Donnarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Granby, CT
Posts: 2,070
Default

Yup, I'm old-fashioned too.
__________________
Donna
Salmon Brook Studio
| My gallery
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Donnarie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
Die Cut Diva
 
wagleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TX
Posts: 3,303
Default

I kinda go both ways.
Bugs me that some are popularity contests, but I also understand that someone's art may merit a vote and they aren't getting it just because people don't frequent the site sponsoring it or maybe people just aren't aware that there was a contest. But I don't necessarily vote for the person asking for it either, I check out the entries then decide.
__________________
-Lorie-
.*.*-::-.*-::-- .* .*
wagleg is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #23
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
KatarinaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dingmans Ferry, PA
Posts: 2,235
Default

I agree they are annoying. Maybe once, just to mention that the individual is involved in a contest, but to post multiple times, and then to bump their posts all the time, irritates me to no end!
If I do happen to follow the link, more often then not I end up voting for someone else, anyway.
__________________
My Blog: Watermelon Sugar
KatarinaM is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast
 
sprtchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wait! Let me check my barcode.....
Posts: 14,095
Default

I always found these very distasteful....mind you I am not perfect either. I just skip over those threads and dont even read them. It seems pretty sad to beg for votes.
blessings.
__________________
Amber Shaw
sprtchick is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #25
Watercolor Wizard
 
lynnewithane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 8,005
Default

Well, I guess I've been living in a hole, because I've never seen these requests online. But, I have to agree with Joan as well.
I think it's the whole American Idol philosophy of winning. (I don't watch that either.)
I recently got an email from a very old friend. We were roommates in another life. She never even replies to my emails any more, and doesn't send Christmas cards any more. (It's been at least 10 years since we've seen each other, 25 years since we were roommates.) Anyway, I got an email from her explaining that her son and his band were in some contest, and would I please go online and listen to them, and vote for them if I like them. What the heck? I sent her a short newsy email in reply, but did not hear back until there was another plea for votes. Sorry. I didn't cast even one vote.
lynnewithane is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #26
Mad Swapper
 
edie3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,776
Default

But if everyone is asking for votes but you, you may not have any chance of winning whatever it is.
edie3 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
Kookie Creator
 
Tenakee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In Fort Worth but dreaming of Alaska
Posts: 399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edie3 View Post
But if everyone is asking for votes but you, you may not have any chance of winning whatever it is.
I'm sorry, I just can't help myself - as soon as I read your post I heard my Mom's voice in my head - "And if everyone else jumped off a cliff...."

I think that the main point here is that we all come to SCS for that sense of community - about what we all love to do. When we see requests like this, it really does feel like the person isn't here for the love of the craft or to offer something to the community as a whole, but just to get something for themselves instead.

You might point out that people do ask for favors and you would be absolutely correct. But if I read a post where someone is asking for a favor like "it would be wonderful if my 80 year old grandmother could get 80 cards for her birthday", I still get the joy of making and sharing a card. Helping someone win a neat toy for their own craftroom that I will never see or get to play with or... just doesn't have the same feel, KWIM?

Of course all of this is just my honest opinion. I still hear my Mom's voice though!
__________________
Valeria
Tenakee is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #28
Insane Embellisher
 
Lollies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickers089 View Post
I have clicked on the requested contests, but I don't always vote for the one beggin to be voted for. Actually, more often than not I vote for someone else.
Same here.
__________________
My Gallery
Lauren xoxo
Lollies is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #29
Gallery Gazer
 
cardmaker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canadian Prairies
Posts: 6,847
Default

I feel vindicated! I posted a complaint in the suggestion forum not even a week ago; tired of all the personal requests.

Joan, thank you for bravely starting a thread about what a lot of us feel. I se the Mods have now eliminated the requests altogether and I feel much better! I hated spotting them, they literally were making me mad. Personal gain seeking riles me up.

Ahhhh. (Me taking a deep breath.)
__________________
My SCS Gallery
http://pinterest.com/thecardmaker2/my-stampinup-only/
Here I am God, arms wide open. Pouring out my life, gracefully broken ~Matt Redman
cardmaker2 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Soozie4Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NW suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 11,903
Default

Joan, I'm SO glad you brought this up! I HATE these pleas for votes! I usually ignore them, but I'm glad to hear I can "report" them and then the mods can delete them! Back when I first saw them, I'd sometimes go look at what was being voted for, and I'd vote for what I felt was the best. Interestingly enough, it was RARELY the person asking for the vote. So, in a way, the person asking for the vote LOST votes because of their posting! At least with me, because I refuse to vote for someone just because they asked!!
__________________
~ Susan - Celebrating 15 years as an SU demo!
Grammy to Anna 11, Elizabeth 10, Nora 8, Abigail 8, Kendall 6, , Isaac 5, and Evan Joshua 3, with me in my avatar
Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!



Soozie4Him is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #31
Pearl-ExPert
 
tdodd00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: sunny southwest
Posts: 2,621
Default

I find these super annoying and usually make it a point to vote for anyone else but the person asking. I saw one the other day before it was deleted...this person had basically never even been to this site before...now that's ballsy!
__________________
Terri
tdodd00 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Joan B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edie3 View Post
But if everyone is asking for votes but you, you may not have any chance of winning whatever it is.
Factually, you are correct.

I don't think these contests as worth winning if all you are really winning is the ability to gin up votes, as opposed to have your design judged/evaluated/appreciated on its merits.

But I understand your point.
__________________
Dear Paperlicious is my blog...with a series on how I'm learning to improve my cardmaking by studying others.
Joan B is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #33
Polyshrink Goddess
 
CreativeCritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 647
Default

The one time I had been involved in a contest I called attention to the voting process, but I made sure to omit my contest username (which was different from my moniker on the board) and asked people to vote for their favorite. I think the larger the pool of voters the better, but I feel like soliciting votes for one's self is a little icky.
__________________
Lizzie Jones
My Blog
CreativeCritter is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #34
Polyshrink Goddess
 
iluv2color's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 530
Default

It does get old doesn't it. When I first started seeing these on different forums, I thought, wow isn't that person clever. They know how to tap into the power of the "*** or whoever, but like everything else that gets overplayed, it's now just plain annoying. I did one the other day and just voted for the one I liked best and it wasn't the person who asked,lol. I have found some fun sites this way and I'm sure this is the reason they do these contests, to draw attention to their site but just as soon as I leave the voting area, they are pretty much forgotten...
iluv2color is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #35
Pearl-ExPert
 
mungojerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,109
Default

I've never notice it either but I don't like the idea of it. Personally, I wouldn't tell anyone I was in a contest or ask for votes because I'd never feel I truly deserved to "win." I think the winner should win on merit alone.
__________________
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. Confucius
mungojerry is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #36
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Novell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 10,780
Default

In the rare cases that I've actually participated in a vote like this, I've always voted by merit and not necessarily for the person who has requested my vote.
__________________
My Blog: Mastering the Art of Procurement
Novell is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #37
Rubber Obsessor
 
Linda*Loo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 185
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCritter View Post
The one time I had been involved in a contest I called attention to the voting process, but I made sure to omit my contest username (which was different from my moniker on the board) and asked people to vote for their favorite. I think the larger the pool of voters the better, but I feel like soliciting votes for one's self is a little icky.
I agree that contests should be judged on merit, however, art is a difficult thing to judge. Picking a winner is the easy part in any contest... letting everyone else know they didn't win is the hard part.

That being said, I think that contests can be fun and are a useful marketing tool for businesses, especially in this industry.

I think it is best to let the "public" decide who the winners are. Soliciting personal votes through online message boards doesn't really fit the spirit of the contest. However, I agree with CreativeCritter's comment... creating awareness for the contest in general is in my opinion an OK thing to do (as long as it doesn't violate the message boards TOS - which we've heard it does here at SCS). There are also ways for the contest to eliminate multiple votes from the same IP address, resulting in a competition that is more fair.

Do you think Shawn Johnson's mom voted for her in Dancing with the Stars?
__________________
Linda

my blog: ::::::::::::::::www.amusenews.typepad.com::::::::::::::::
Linda*Loo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #38
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host
 
TexasGrammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Posts: 41,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftdoc View Post
I agree Joan. Previously the moderators had been moving them all to Everyday Chit Chat to keep them from cluttering up the other forums. But we are now deleting such posts entirely because they actually are referrals which are not allowed by our TOS. They result only in personal gain to the poster and do not contribute to the community. You can report such posts by clicking on the asterisk at the bottom left of the post. Thanks!
Kim has stated this beautifully!
Thanks for your understanding, everyone. We appreciate it!
__________________
TexasGrammy** Bev Gerard
blog: Texas Rubber & Ink!
TexasGrammy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #39
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Softangelkisses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Behind the Lens of a Cannon 40D
Posts: 20,049
Default

I have voted for people when they have asked, however I would not feel right asking people to vote for me, OR knowing that I was in a contest where it was being "rigged"! Thanks for addressing this concern!
__________________
Softangelkisses


I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Softangelkisses is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #40
Hardware Hotshot
 
Tracy-Stamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,074
Default

I've sort of accepted it as the way of the world ~
__________________
Visit me here ----> Durcan Designs
Tracy-Stamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off