Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #41
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieHRR View Post
I personally abhor "competitive" art contests and don't vote for anyone in 'em, nor do I enter 'em. But, I do agree competitions should be won by merit, not popularity votes or internet pleas.

So, I guess you can count me among the old fashioned, as well.
I am right there with you girl. I never vote, and I never enter those kinds of contests. I would never feel comfortable winning something that was based on my asking everyone to vote for me. Dreadful. I am old fasioned and LOVE it! And so glad to have the SCS explanation on this too. Thank you!

BTW, Julie, LOVE your new avatar! Beautiful!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #42
Hardware Hotshot

I too don't like the "begging for votes" threads.. and am glad to hear that you can report and get them deleted.

Some time last year someone who used to post on the board frequently was in a contest, a painting contest I think.. anyways they were asking for people to vote for their entry.. however when I got to the site.. there were ones that I really liked way better, and voted for them.

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #43
Mad Swapper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if everyone is asking for votes but you, you may not have any chance of winning whatever it is.

I did not mean I would ask for votes, but how fair is it when others are asking for votes. That is what I meant by that statement.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #44
Kookie Creator

Yes, I agree with you.

I never respond to people asking me to vote for someone.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:42 AM   #45
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I was wondering if the "asking for votes" threads are still not allowed. I've been noticing more of these threads showing up again in Everyday Chit Chat.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #46
Watercolor Wizard

I saw one for the first time the other day. I don't really remember where it was, but the only places I go on SCS is the General Stamping Talk, Demo Business, and the gallery, so it had to be one of them; probably General Stamping. As I read it, I recalled this thread, and just moved on. It didn't occur to me to report it.
I think the mods must be doing pretty good job, though. Since I am a teacher and not currently working, I have been on splitcoast a lot in the past few weeks, and it's only the one time that I've seen such a post.

Good job to the mods!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #47
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

There has been some confusion on this issue. "Vote for me" threads are usually (case by case review) moved to Everyday Chit Chat unless they are referral posts, referral posts are always deleted.

A referral post is where the company running the contest asks contestants to post in forums (or other internet sites) to get extra points or some benefit.

Hope that clears things up! Feel free to report any that look like they may be a problem to the Mods so we can take a look at them.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

I am one that does not like these threads asking for votes. I never look at them and I never vote for them .
Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #49
Insane Embellisher

I agree - I ignore the pleas and vote on merit.

My Website
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #50
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by meluvstampin View Post
I am one that does not like these threads asking for votes. I never look at them and I never vote for them .

I look at it this way, members of SCS feel like friends/family to me so I am glad when people are comfortable asking me/us to help them out.
Makes me feel like I am doing my part to make this seem like a "home" to others.

When someone asks for votes for something that beenfits them, I check it out and vote if I think they deserve it, not simply because they asked

It always feels good to spread a little love and cheer to others.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #51
Pearl-ExPert

I was in that contest last year (and NEVER AGAIN) and it felt absolutely awful to 1)SEE the number of votes a couple of these vote-seekers were getting and 2)SEE how little I was getting because I am not very popular. There are some of those girls that are on 5 or 6 different message boards all asking for votes..

That contest made me really anxious, and really grumpy for the 4 weeks I was involved.. And in the end I never received my prize! haha..

like I said. Never again.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #52
Insane Embellisher

Default What a positive way to look at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmayo View Post
I look at it this way, members of SCS feel like friends/family to me so I am glad when people are comfortable asking me/us to help them out.
Makes me feel like I am doing my part to make this seem like a "home" to others.

When someone asks for votes for something that beenfits them, I check it out and vote if I think they deserve it, not simply because they asked

It always feels good to spread a little love and cheer to others.
I like your attitude! Thanks for sharing it.

My Website
Old 07-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #53
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Ok, I'm guilt!!!

I have to admit I am one of those awful people who has asked for votes. It was a photo contest for my pet Noah. Unfortunately I don't know hundreds of people who I could ask to vote so I put it in my signature line during the contest. It was a huge waste of time as the pet who won the was NOT the "Cutest Pet". Not saying that mine should have won as there were a ton of adorable pets. But the pet that did win had a photo that was marginal at best.

Sorry if I annoyed or irratated anyone by doing this as this was not my intention. I did in fact find some wonderful pet owners and a few loyal Australian Shepherd owners in the process. So thanks to those who did take the time to vote. I really appreciated it!

So please forgive my sad plea for votes but $5000 prize would have paid a lot of bills

Last edited by beegirl; 07-15-2009 at 02:23 PM..
Old 07-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #54
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzytobi View Post
I was in that contest last year (and NEVER AGAIN) and it felt absolutely awful to 1)SEE the number of votes a couple of these vote-seekers were getting and 2)SEE how little I was getting because I am not very popular. There are some of those girls that are on 5 or 6 different message boards all asking for votes..

That contest made me really anxious, and really grumpy for the 4 weeks I was involved.. And in the end I never received my prize! haha..

like I said. Never again.
You mean you won, but they never gave the prize they promised? That sounds like it should be reported somewhere.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #55
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegirl View Post
I have to admit I am one of those awful people who has asked for votes. It was a photo contest for my pet Noah. Unfortunately I don't know hundreds of people who I could ask to vote so I put it in my signature line during the contest. It was a huge waste of time as the pet who won the was NOT the "Cutest Pet". Not saying that mine should have won as there were a ton of adorable pets. But the pet that did win had a photo that was marginal at best.

Sorry if I annoyed or irratated anyone by doing this as this was not my intention. I did in fact find some wonderful pet owners and a few loyal Australian Shepherd owners in the process. So thanks to those who did take the time to vote. I really appreciated it!

So please forgive my sad plea for votes but $5000 prize would have paid a lot of bills
I think there is a HUGE difference between a vote for me thread and an byline in your signature. The signature is just a suggestion like here's my blog, here's a contest I'm in etc. However a vote for me thread to me is just trying to score huge numbers of votes without consideration for the competition.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #56
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
You mean you won, but they never gave the prize they promised? That sounds like it should be reported somewhere.
i think papercrafts is basically ignoring me now.. i never got a cheque for a publication, and both issues fall on deaf ears, so i've given up.

i didn't win, i went 3 rounds, so i "got" three prizes..

i still vote for cards that are awesome though!