Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Mad Swapper

Default 2 Questions

Hi guys,

I have 2 questions.

1. I want to play with some of the techniques in the resources section that use glossy paper. Can I use glossy photo paper?

2. Also on the ceramic tiles (2x2s) that are "slick", do I need to do anything special to prepare them before stamping on them or after I stamp on them should I seal them with something?

Thanks in advance for all your help. You guys are the best!!!!

Laura J.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

I have not tried using photo paper, but I've heard the technique doesn't come out exactly the same as with glossy cs.

I didn't prepare the smooth tiles in any way. I did find the stamp can slide, and did ruin a few tiles. I do have a staz on cleaner, which worked well to remove the ink and I could start again. On the tiles I used pastels, markers, etc, I did seal them with an acrylic sealer.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Since the finish on a smooth tile is actually glass [melted silica sand] very few products will be permanent without a sealer. I made a couple of magnets at an SU workshop. We stamped with Stazon ink, then baked the tiles in the oven for 20 minutes. Then painted with classic inks. Baked again. Finally sprayed with an acrylic sealer.
John 3:16
Old 10-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clognmom
1. I want to play with some of the techniques in the resources section that use glossy paper. Can I use glossy photo paper?
A coworker told me she tried to save a little money by using some glossy photo paper she had on hand, and it was just a big mess. It's definitely not the same thing as the SU! glossy white.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 10-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Mad Swapper

Thank you all for the help. I guess I will wait for my next stamp club meeting to order the glossy paper. I have looked every where around here and can't find it. Patience is a virtue, right?

I can't wait to try the tiles. I have made the ones on the marble stone but was looking for something differant. Good thing I need to go to Wal-Mart for groceries tomorrow. I will just add the acrylic sealer to my list.

Thanks guys!

Laura J.