In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #41
Rubber Obsessor
 
terriboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc.
Posts: 182
Default lharnish aded some info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrose View Post
2.) The half price item they were referring to is probably the benefit from being hostess of a workshop over the $4oo level.
I also signed-up this month as a hobby demo and went through all the info myself...

I believe that in Canada, the first level for the 1/2 off benefit starts at workshops totalling 525$ and up...means if your WS totals 525$ you can choose any item at 50% off....btw, our minimums are 400$/quarter.

If you sign up this month, your real full quarter will be October-December.

You can make substitutions on most of the starter kit (I ordered 4 incolor pads since I already had those colors as well as different stamps and paper more to my style)

If you sign before August you and your demo will get an opportunity for a free Christmas kit.

The kit costs 119$ + tax with shipping already included which I was pleasantly surprised to see

On your birthday month your FIRST purchase of that month you will get an extra 15% off ONE item (so 35% total). Again, only for the first item you order that month (so this may influence you and your mom on who's Birthday month you prefer to have the discount.

BTW, I called the Calgary Office since I sent my papers via snail mail and had some questions and they were super helpful and as well as the general Demo Support.

I'm sure other Demos will know much more but just wanted to give you some quick info.

GOOD LUCK!
Terri
terriboo is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #42
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sambro, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,362
Default

Thanks for the additional info. This is getting more and more tempting all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriboo View Post
I also signed-up this month as a hobby demo and went through all the info myself...

I believe that in Canada, the first level for the 1/2 off benefit starts at workshops totalling 525$ and up...means if your WS totals 525$ you can choose any item at 50% off....btw, our minimums are 400$/quarter.

If you sign up this month, your real full quarter will be October-December.

You can make substitutions on most of the starter kit (I ordered 4 incolor pads since I already had those colors as well as different stamps and paper more to my style)

If you sign before August you and your demo will get an opportunity for a free Christmas kit.

The kit costs 119$ + tax with shipping already included which I was pleasantly surprised to see

On your birthday month your FIRST purchase of that month you will get an extra 15% off ONE item (so 35% total). Again, only for the first item you order that month (so this may influence you and your mom on who's Birthday month you prefer to have the discount.

BTW, I called the Calgary Office since I sent my papers via snail mail and had some questions and they were super helpful and as well as the general Demo Support.

I'm sure other Demos will know much more but just wanted to give you some quick info.

GOOD LUCK!
Terri
__________________
Leslie Harnish
Sambro, Nova Scotia
Canada
lharnish is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #43
Hardware Hotshot
 
maryrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,550
Default

I forgot about the birthday discount. That is a new benefit that we didn't have when I was a demo. Hmmm...now, if my birthday is in February, that'd be during SAB, too. Yikes! Now you've all got me thinking about it, too, and I swore off the business side of stamping a few years ago!
__________________
mary rose
www.maryrosescafe.blogspot.com
maryrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #44
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 200
Default

You have nothing to loose! You never know unless you try! That is what I did! I signed up for the discount and thought I would just it for a couple months! Well I am here to say I just got back from an Amazing all expense paid Alaska Cruise! Plus I was Rising Star my first year! It is wonderful!!!
__________________
www.kristenlong.stampinup.net SU! Manager
www.lindseyann.net
kdolphin is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #45
Pearl-ExPert
 
Mindykid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 2,740
Default

Before you sign up, you may want to carefully read all the stipulations in the consultant agreement. I know some of the provisions were highly discussed the last time it was updated, especially the part about electronic communications including emails, blogs, websites, etc. and representing products from other companies.

Make sure you talk with your potential upline or directly with the company to understand the provisions.

Consultant Agreement
__________________
Crazy for Coloring Swap
Mindykid is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #46
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: central IL
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindykid View Post
Before you sign up, you may want to carefully read all the stipulations in the consultant agreement. I know some of the provisions were highly discussed the last time it was updated, especially the part about electronic communications including emails, blogs, websites, etc. and representing products from other companies.

Make sure you talk with your potential upline or directly with the company to understand the provisions.

Consultant Agreement
That's right...you are not allowed to endorse or make ANY reference to other companies' products. And when you conduct a workshop, all products need to be SU. But that makes sense--you want to encourage your customers to BUY from you rather than go somewhere else to purchase their supplies.

My kit comes today....YAY!! I know that going to my LSS or other stores will be on a "look but don't buy(well, don't buy AS MUCH, lol)," but my shopping will now be really convenient--right at the touch of my fingers!!

I love SU products, and although they may not offer everything that I like to use, I'll definitely buy from myself first!

Good luck to all of you!!
__________________
Pat

Order 24/7 for my site, http://www.longaberger.com/pattitus[/COLOR]
piglady56 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #47
Hardware Hotshot
 
maryrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,550
Default

Here's another thought on the customer vs. demo debate:

A demo has to sell $300 a quarter, but gets a 20% discount off that order. Savings=$60

A customer can have two workshops totaling $150 each every quarter and earn $25 in free stuff with each workshop. Savings=$50

So, you have to debate whether that extra $10 is really worth the hassle of bookkeeping and accounting and all the Independent Demonstrator agreement rules.

Now there are perks to being a demo, like getting the catalogs early, placing orders a month early, getting the Stampin' Success magazine (which is not that grand), and getting the birthday discount. There's also an opportunity to make some money if you really have a head for business and have a long list of potential customers and downline.

But there are also perks to being a customer. No accounting worries. You only order what you love, not what you think you might need for a workshop. You can use retired merchandise whenever you feel like it! You can shop from the clearance rack to your heart's content. You will be much less likely to make impulse buys because of the "discount" and will make smarter purchases. And you can snag great deals on used merchandise from demos who can't use the product any more!

I've been on both sides of the fence. But for me, personally, I have saved so much money since I dropped my SU demo'ship in 2009. I'm a smarter shopper and a much more frugal stamper, and my craft room is not overflowing with stuff I don't need.
__________________
mary rose
www.maryrosescafe.blogspot.com
maryrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #48
Proud Fan Club Member
 
muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 49,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrose View Post
A demo has to sell $300 a quarter, but gets a 20% discount off that order. Savings=$60

A customer can have two workshops totaling $150 each every quarter and earn $25 in free stuff with each workshop. Savings=$50

So, you have to debate whether that extra $10 is really worth the hassle of bookkeeping and accounting and all the Independent Demonstrator agreement rules.
But you are assuming the customer has two workshops totalling $150 to make a savings. If you are just a regular customer, there are no savings so $60 would be better than $0. The demo is required to sell $300 a quarter but she doesn't have to spend that $300 if she has enough friends to help her meet that quota. For instance, my demo has three of us who come to her house each month. We make some cards and then place some orders. We take turns being the hostess so once every fourth month I would get a little bit of free product, but my demo makes her quota each quarter and gets her 20% discount without spending the $300 herself. Does that make sense? Not sure if I'm explaining it correctly.
__________________
Kathy
Sketch Gallery
muscrat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #49
Hardware Hotshot
 
maryrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,550
Default

Yep, you are right. But you are comparing a business demo to a customer. And really, I was comparing a hobby demo to a customer. Once you start placing orders for other people, you are no longer a hobby demo, as you really need to keep track of orders and invoices for tax purposes.
__________________
mary rose
www.maryrosescafe.blogspot.com
maryrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #50
Hardware Hotshot
 
Allistamps123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: along the bluffs of the Upper Mississippi River
Posts: 4,142
Default

I signed up in Nov. with the great $89.00 deal. I had NO INTENTIONS of ever doing workshops. Thought maybe I'd just be in for one quarter. Well, a new found friend asked me to go in with her and do a workshop every other month. Then I thought I'll NEVER do more than that. Now I'm thinking of doing a workshop each month on my own if she doesn't want to do them each month. One just never knows! NEVER SAY NEVER!
__________________
All I want is the chance to prove money won't make me happy!
Allistamps123 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #51
Hardware Hotshot
 
Allistamps123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: along the bluffs of the Upper Mississippi River
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamper for fun View Post
LOL...if I stopped spending so much time on SCS and other forums and reading blogs I could get in so much more stamping.
So true for me too! Then I decided if I love being here at SCS and reading blogs, etc. let it be.....I'm just letting myself enjoy and not questioning it!!!
__________________
All I want is the chance to prove money won't make me happy!
Allistamps123 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #52
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Minders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglady56 View Post
That's right...you are not allowed to endorse or make ANY reference to other companies' products. And when you conduct a workshop, all products need to be SU. But that makes sense--you want to encourage your customers to BUY from you rather than go somewhere else to purchase their supplies.

My kit comes today....YAY!! I know that going to my LSS or other stores will be on a "look but don't buy(well, don't buy AS MUCH, lol)," but my shopping will now be really convenient--right at the touch of my fingers!!

I love SU products, and although they may not offer everything that I like to use, I'll definitely buy from myself first!

Good luck to all of you!!
That is not true! It's one of the BIG misconceptions about the IDA. We are totally allowed to use other products and even MENTION them on our blogs. What we can not do it promote those competing products which means to go on and on about them and or to have a link on our blog that will take you to where they are sold. There are LOTS of demos who use other stamps or other products and just talking about them in passing is totally fine.

Of course it should be all SU at a workshop...you're trying to sell your products and make some moolah! Just makes good business sense
__________________
My gallery

Check out my blog


Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Minders is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #53
Stampin' Fool
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,451
Default Any suggestions?

Do any of you have suggestions on things to substitute in your initial order if you sign up? I know that on the flyer it says that you get this clear mount set and this wood mount seet unless you choose to substitute for an equal or lesser amount set. Would you try to get in color stamp pads instead of the Old Olive Real Red and Basic Black stamp pads? Isn't there a paper pack with the in color selections? I don't have the flyer handy or I would refer to that. Do you have to make those substitutions when you sign up, or can you make those choices when you place your first order within the 45 day limit?

Jutta
jutta is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #54
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Minders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutta View Post
Do any of you have suggestions on things to substitute in your initial order if you sign up? I know that on the flyer it says that you get this clear mount set and this wood mount seet unless you choose to substitute for an equal or lesser amount set. Would you try to get in color stamp pads instead of the Old Olive Real Red and Basic Black stamp pads? Isn't there a paper pack with the in color selections? I don't have the flyer handy or I would refer to that. Do you have to make those substitutions when you sign up, or can you make those choices when you place your first order within the 45 day limit?

Jutta
Sub whatever YOU LIKE/LOVE and will use! Don't get something because you think others will like it. I don't buy anything I don't love because I won't use it! Get colors you need or like and will use! You make the subs when you sign up because that's what you get. Your first order is something entirely different and has nothing to do with the starter kit, it's just a regular order. HTH!
__________________
My gallery

Check out my blog


Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Minders is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #55
Mad Swapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Towson, Maryland
Posts: 1,537
Default To summarize the details ...

Just to be sure I'm reading everything correctly. ... Please correct any errors.

I pay $99 (probably plus tax but not an additional shipping charge) and get the starter kit (with some substitutions if I wish) plus the bonus of the Christmas box kit.

Then, within 45 days I am able to, but not required to, place an order for $150 or more to which I can apply the one-time 30% discount (so I'm paying $105 plus tax and shipping). After that, any order I place is at a 20% discount.

By the end of December, the end of my first quarter with a required minimum, I must purchase (including sales to friends, etc.) at least $300 in merchandise; I am not clear what is included in that $300 (the $99 kit price? the $105 order at 30%?)

If I keep going, my minimum would be $300 per quarter in merchandise after the 20% discount.

Did I miss anything that would help me with the "higher math" involved in this decision making?
Alice in Md is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #56
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington state
Posts: 1,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice in Md View Post
Just to be sure I'm reading everything correctly. ... Please correct any errors.

I pay $99 (probably plus tax but not an additional shipping charge) and get the starter kit (with some substitutions if I wish) plus the bonus of the Christmas box kit.

Then, within 45 days I am able to, but not required to, place an order for $150 or more to which I can apply the one-time 30% discount (so I'm paying $105 plus tax and shipping). After that, any order I place is at a 20% discount.

By the end of December, the end of my first quarter with a required minimum, I must purchase (including sales to friends, etc.) at least $300 in merchandise; I am not clear what is included in that $300 (the $99 kit price? the $105 order at 30%?)
The $300 in merchandise order includes your 30% discount order. It does NOT include the Starter Kit.
If I keep going, my minimum would be $300 per quarter in merchandise after the 20% discount.
Minimum of $300 per quarter is BEFORE your discount. It's catalog price of $300, then you take 20% discount off that. Hope that makes sense.
Did I miss anything that would help me with the "higher math" involved in this decision making?
Don't forget the birthday month discount of extra 15% on one item.
You are eligible for all hostess benefits on your qualifying orders (over $150).
There are opportunities to earn free stamp sets as you reach certain goals (Stampin' Start program). And there are also other times when SU will have incentives and offer free stamp sets when you meet the eligibility.

I don't think you can go wrong in signing up. As long as you can put the products in your starter kit to use, it's a no brainer. No penalties for dropping if you don't meet the sales quota. So you could get the starter kit, use your 30% discount to get what you want, then never place another order. It's totally fine. But, if you're like me and Minders, trust us, there will be lots to entice you, and you'll be surprised how easy it is to maintain your demoship. If you have even just a couple of friends who will order from you, it's even easier! What are you waiting for?
__________________
Annie
My Blog / Website / Facebook Page / Gallery
lovemycards is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #57
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sambro, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriboo View Post
On your birthday month your FIRST purchase of that month you will get an extra 15% off ONE item (so 35% total). Again, only for the first item you order that month (so this may influence you and your mom on who's Birthday month you prefer to have the discount.Terri
I think my mom has made the decision to sign up tonight! We're going to get together for the paperwork and pick her options!!! Quick question on the birthday perk. If she were to order a color collection of stamp pads, would that be eligible for the birthday bonus or would it only be on one single ink pad for example? This might be an awesome way to build an ink collection quickly at a good price!
__________________
Leslie Harnish
Sambro, Nova Scotia
Canada
lharnish is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #58
Rubber Obsessor
 
terriboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc.
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharnish View Post
I think my mom has made the decision to sign up tonight! We're going to get together for the paperwork and pick her options!!! Quick question on the birthday perk. If she were to order a color collection of stamp pads, would that be eligible for the birthday bonus or would it only be on one single ink pad for example? This might be an awesome way to build an ink collection quickly at a good price!
Congrats to you and your Mom Leslie!

Yes you can buy one whole collection @ $64.95 for the discount

Don't forget that when your Mom sets up her on-line profile to make sure she puts her birthday info (it's optional) especially if it's coming up soon.

Remember to plan wisely (you also have your 30% off a 200$+ order that will up to 45 days from the day your Demoship starts to use (it will be indicated on your Welcome email). This is almost as good of a discount and no limits to how many items.

Don't forget to read the updates from about July 1st on to get all the upcoming info and promos...

Have fun!!

Terri
terriboo is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #59
Ted
Kookie Creator
 
Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
That is not true! It's one of the BIG misconceptions about the IDA. We are totally allowed to use other products and even MENTION them on our blogs. What we can not do it promote those competing products which means to go on and on about them and or to have a link on our blog that will take you to where they are sold. There are LOTS of demos who use other stamps or other products and just talking about them in passing is totally fine.

Of course it should be all SU at a workshop...you're trying to sell your products and make some moolah! Just makes good business sense
Okay... so just that I understand:

I can, for example, make a card on my blog using Cherry Cobbler paper and ink... but a Papertrey Ink stamp.

I can mention: "I used Turning a New Leaf from Papetrey Ink" and that would be fine...as long as I don't have a LINK to PTI's website?

Is that correct?

I was once a demo and the reason I dropped was because I didn't believe, as a hobby demo, I should not be free to use what I wanted to use in my artistic expression.

This IS a tempting deal that may make me return to SU.

(Provided I don't have to continually censor what I put on my blog!)

Thanks for the clarification.
__________________
"Satan trembles when he sees the weakest saint on his knees."

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog! :)
Ted is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #60
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
prchvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Okay... so just that I understand:

I can, for example, make a card on my blog using Cherry Cobbler paper and ink... but a Papertrey Ink stamp.

I can mention: "I used Turning a New Leaf from Papetrey Ink" and that would be fine...as long as I don't have a LINK to PTI's website?

Is that correct?

I was once a demo and the reason I dropped was because I didn't believe, as a hobby demo, I should not be free to use what I wanted to use in my artistic expression.

This IS a tempting deal that may make me return to SU.

(Provided I don't have to continually censor what I put on my blog!)

Thanks for the clarification.
your example is correct You may use what you wish and post it on your blog - you just can't link or use "promotional language" (totally subjective thing, IMO - basically - don't gush)
__________________
renée
prchvs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast
 
creatingisfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,001
Default

go for it
__________________
Martha
BLOG
ZIBBET
creatingisfun is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast
 
snowcountry311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: beautiful cny
Posts: 81,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatingisfun View Post
go for it
i say do -now. get the discount for the upcoming mini. then you can decide to stay or go.
__________________
gayla
snowcountry311 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #63
Ted
Kookie Creator
 
Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prchvs View Post
your example is correct You may use what you wish and post it on your blog - you just can't link or use "promotional language" (totally subjective thing, IMO - basically - don't gush)
Great! Thank you for the clarification, Renée!
__________________
"Satan trembles when he sees the weakest saint on his knees."

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog! :)
Ted is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #64
Mad Swapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: probaby at work surfing SCS (WI)
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post
i say do -now. get the discount for the upcoming mini. then you can decide to stay or go.
If I wasn't already a demo, that would do it for me. My wishlist is over $400 from the holiday mini! Really, with the first minimum not due until the end of the year, it's really no risk!
__________________
Stacey
SU! Demo and proud of it!
staceylisk is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast
 
snowcountry311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: beautiful cny
Posts: 81,208
Default

i'm a hobby demo. never sold to anyone (my choice). i buy my minimums,4 times a year. i also go to workshops & classes. and buy there. not spending too much. but i love to stamp w/ others.
as for the holiday mini. haven't made a list. but i'll shop!
__________________
gayla
snowcountry311 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #66
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Minders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 15,351
Default

Hi Ted....Renee beat me to it There are lots of demos who say stuff like "here is a card I made with Easy Events (SU) and I also used my nesties, stickles, and copics." That's a lot different than saying "here is a card I made with Easy Events that I cut out with my wonderful nesties which you can purchase HERE (and have a link).

It IS a bit subjective but they have never said you can't use anything BUT Stampin' Up stuff just that you should not promote other stuff. And really that just makes good business sense. A Mary Kay rep isn't going to go on and on about the latest Avon stuff (sorry for the girly comparison but I couldn't think of any male targeted home based business, lol).
__________________
My gallery

Check out my blog


Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Minders is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #67
Proud Fan Club Member
 
muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 49,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
Hi Ted....Renee beat me to it There are lots of demos who say stuff like "here is a card I made with Easy Events (SU) and I also used my nesties, stickles, and copics." That's a lot different than saying "here is a card I made with Easy Events that I cut out with my wonderful nesties which you can purchase HERE (and have a link).

It IS a bit subjective but they have never said you can't use anything BUT Stampin' Up stuff just that you should not promote other stuff. And really that just makes good business sense. A Mary Kay rep isn't going to go on and on about the latest Avon stuff (sorry for the girly comparison but I couldn't think of any male targeted home based business, lol).
Congrats on being selected to be on the creative crew SU Design Team!
__________________
Kathy
Sketch Gallery
muscrat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #68
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Minders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
Congrats on being selected to be on the creative crew SU Design Team!
Thank you! I'm a wee (and in a LOT) bit nervous No pressure to create great things or anything, hahahaha
__________________
My gallery

Check out my blog


Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Minders is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #69
Proud Fan Club Member
 
muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 49,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
Thank you! I'm a wee (and in a LOT) bit nervous No pressure to create great things or anything, hahahaha
You'll be fine. You have some really cool stuff on your blog!
__________________
Kathy
Sketch Gallery
muscrat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #70
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Minders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
You'll be fine. You have some really cool stuff on your blog!
Thanks...but I don't have a looming deadline for my blog, lol! I'm a bit worried too because my SUPER busy time at work where I work WAY over 40 hours a week plus nights and weekends is coming up in about two weeks But thanks for the vote of confidence!
__________________
My gallery

Check out my blog


Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Minders is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #71
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sambro, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,362
Default

She did it! We're in LOL!
__________________
Leslie Harnish
Sambro, Nova Scotia
Canada
lharnish is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #72
Ted
Kookie Creator
 
Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
And really that just makes good business sense.
And I completely agree, Mindy...

.... if I was doing SU! as a business.

But as a hobby demo, I'm not looking for extra income.

But SU! is... so they can either allow hobby demos to pay them $100 monthly for merchandise... or to be so strict as to not allow them the freedom to use and mention other supplies.

It seems they aren't as strict as I once thought (or they eased up).

I remember when this IDA first went into mention I was running a crafting forum of my own. I was a demo for SU! I was told by SU! that even if I, myself, didn't mention other companies, I had to police my own forum and make sure any of my members didn't mention non-SU! companies. That pretty much sealed my decision to leave SU!

But, perhaps, they've changed their tune.

I completely RESPECT SU!'s decision...just to make that clear. It's their playground, their ball...they get to make the rules.

But when it comes to crafting, I don't want to be told which supplies I can mention on my personal (not SU!-sponsored) blog.

So, it's a stalemate. And thus why I probably will refrain from joining SU! again.

(Although most papers and inks I use are ONLY SU! ironically. )
__________________
"Satan trembles when he sees the weakest saint on his knees."

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog! :)
Ted is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #73
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Minders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 15,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
And I completely agree, Mindy...

.... if I was doing SU! as a business.

But as a hobby demo, I'm not looking for extra income.

But SU! is... so they can either allow hobby demos to pay them $100 monthly for merchandise... or to be so strict as to not allow them the freedom to use and mention other supplies.

It seems they aren't as strict as I once thought (or they eased up).

I remember when this IDA first went into mention I was running a crafting forum of my own. I was a demo for SU! I was told by SU! that even if I, myself, didn't mention other companies, I had to police my own forum and make sure any of my members didn't mention non-SU! companies. That pretty much sealed my decision to leave SU!

But, perhaps, they've changed their tune.

I completely RESPECT SU!'s decision...just to make that clear. It's their playground, their ball...they get to make the rules.

But when it comes to crafting, I don't want to be told which supplies I can mention on my personal (not SU!-sponsored) blog.

So, it's a stalemate. And thus why I probably will refrain from joining SU! again.

(Although most papers and inks I use are ONLY SU! ironically. )
I actually meant it makes good business sense for SU itself I guess I meant to infer that since I didn't really say it, duh! Kind of like most of the clothing stores I shop in make their employees only wear the clothes they sell. And then I see them wearing said cute outfit and I have to have it...kind of like the workshop where you have to have a stamp set, accessory, whatever I'm a sucker for marketing, I know, lol!

I don't think the IDA has changed BUT they did some explaining after it came out and it was not as strict as a lot of people initially thought. I dunno, I don't think I was around then...I think I came in soon after, is it bad that I can't remember really when I signed up, lol! That stinks about your forum, that part I really don't get....

Personally I signed up because I was SUO and not the other way around. I was already using SU supplies exclusively so it just made sense for me. Even if we did have the IDA I would STILL be SUO as it is just what works for me! I don't feel like I'm being told what I can or can't use. And I spend enough on one company...I don't NEED more companies to spend even more on, haha. I think when I get something I feel like I have to have everything, like the whole line of whatever it is I'm getting, know what I mean. I have issues don't I? Hehe. I know it's a tricky situation for some people and I totally respect the decisions that everyone has made!

And I hadn't seen you around in the forums much for a while, nice to "see" you!
__________________
My gallery

Check out my blog


Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Minders is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #74
Ted
Kookie Creator
 
Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post

And I hadn't seen you around in the forums much for a while, nice to "see" you!

Good to "see" you as well!

I "saw" you on Jason's blog (photo of you and him at Convention) and I got all tickled: "I know her!"

And as I said...it makes GOOD business sense for SU! to require it... if I was a business owner, I would require it as well. Your examples were dead-on.

I guess I wish they had a separate "hobby demo" deal maybe? Like if you're a hobby demo, you only get a 15% discount, but no limitations on blog talk. Of course, somebody would say: "Well, then why be a customer? I'd just be a hobby demo?" True, but it would mean you are required to keep a minimum quota.

One question about the $99 deal. I saw on somebody's SU site what's included. It seems like less than when I signed up a few years ago. For example, no mention of a scrubber? And a few other things seemed to be MIA?
__________________
"Satan trembles when he sees the weakest saint on his knees."

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog! :)
Ted is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #75
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sambro, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post

One question about the $99 deal. I saw on somebody's SU site what's included. It seems like less than when I signed up a few years ago. For example, no mention of a scrubber? And a few other things seemed to be MIA?
This deal is a "mini-kit" for lack of a better word. The larger kit is still available as well which probably has the extra things the mini-kit is missing. When going through the online forms, that was one of the problems faced - it kept directing us back to the page for the full-priced kit - but they got that glitch worked out somehow by the time the evening was over.
__________________
Leslie Harnish
Sambro, Nova Scotia
Canada
lharnish is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #76
Stampin' Fool
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,451
Default Question about business supplies?

My demo said that she wanted to buy the business supplies from my starter package because she knew I wouldn't need them. What would be a fair price for the catalogs and business forms?

Jutta
jutta is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #77
Stazon Splitcoast
 
snowcountry311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: beautiful cny
Posts: 81,208
Default

my side line bought mine for $30. that was a few years ago. but just ask your demo. i'm sure she would be more than fair
__________________
gayla
snowcountry311 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off