Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   You know you must not be a HUGE SU fan if... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/you-know-you-must-not-huge-su-fan-if-304593/)

tdodd00 12-01-2007 06:09 AM

You know you must not be a HUGE SU fan if...

you just looked at the retired list and you haven't even heard of most of them. Just got me to thinking that I must be one of few that isn't head over heels in love with them. Now, don't flame me yet.....I think there some very cute sets and I see some beautiful cards made with them, but there are very few that I just HAD to have. All total, I have maybe 10 sets. Am I the only one?

CardLadyToo 12-01-2007 06:30 AM

Hum..................nope! There are 5 on the list that I already own and several that friends have that I like and are retiring - so as it stands right now - there is nothing on the list that I HAVE to have! So you are not alone - now f they would just give us the new CATALOG! LOL

stacey carter 12-01-2007 06:36 AM

I am a huge SU fan and there were some on the list that I couldn't wait to get rid of. I say use what you love. Cause if you're not having fun.. we shouldn't be doing this.

debzi333 12-01-2007 06:53 AM

Well, no offense to those that use SU - but I find very few sets that I want. There is so much else out there. SU has become very limited in what they offer... I mean, we have Penny Black, House Mouse, Elzybells, A Muse, Rubber Romance, Whipper Snapper, Inky Antics, Bella Stamps.Gina K, Hanna Stamps, CHF, the list is huge!! SU is just one of many many brands of stamps.

wendykins 12-01-2007 06:58 AM

I only found two that i will prolly get before they retire and i didn't have too many that retired, so lets' hope that the new catty gets us revved up!!!!

ozarkstamper 12-01-2007 07:34 AM

Nothin' on the list that I HAVE to have, either.

willosmama 12-01-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333 (Post 7873686)
Well, no offense to those that use SU - but I find very few sets that I want. There is so much else out there. SU has become very limited in what they offer... I mean, we have Penny Black, House Mouse, Elzybells, A Muse, Rubber Romance, Whipper Snapper, Inky Antics, Bella Stamps.Gina K, Hanna Stamps, CHF, the list is huge!! SU is just one of many many brands of stamps.

Thus their reason for going to a 6 month catty~ to keep up with the trends and *try* to provide ever changing competition to the others out there.:-D
I am excited to see the new catalog!!

LuckyGirl 12-01-2007 08:20 AM

You know what I have found? I've found that once I've covered the basics with stamp sets or individual stamps [no matter what company they are from] I find that there are fewer and fewer sets I HAVE to have because I have something similar already that could work.

When I first saw SU, my list was huge. Now that I have sets to cover most topics I stamp, the list gets smaller.

For me, I've found this is independent of the company I buy stamps from.

Having said that, I think the only set I feel I have to have is Serene Sunflower. The rest on my list are "nice to have" but not necessary.

MaiTi 12-01-2007 08:22 AM

It's that way with every company....not just Stampin' Up!

LuckyGirl 12-01-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTi (Post 7874506)
It's that way with every company....not just Stampin' Up!

ITA!

MaiTi 12-01-2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyGirl (Post 7874534)
ITA!

I sometimes feel that SU is kinda beat up around here. Every company is different. Everyone has something different to offer. If everyone is going to go unmounted....SOMEONE out there is bound to want woodmounted stamps...make sense? I hope so.

Jillgunter 12-01-2007 10:19 AM

I am a big SU fan, but I dont get all up about stuff retiring. I would rather wait and get something new:)

cvnhjw 12-01-2007 10:45 AM

I don't think that I have anything on the list. Just by looking at the list, I don't think that I need anything either. I have been devoted to SU for about seven years now and in the last year and a half, I have ventured out to other stamp companies. I have found that I use the "other" stamp companies more then I use SU. I still go to SU for paper, ink and all the other embellishments though. I am finding that I like less and less of SU's stamp sets.

RockyMountainStamper 12-01-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTi (Post 7874566)
I sometimes feel that SU is kinda beat up around here.

And the irony of it all is that Splitcoast was *started* by an SU! demo to keep in better touch with her downline...:rolleyes:

SophieLaFontaine 12-01-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333 (Post 7873686)
SU has become very limited in what they offer...

I miss the old SU! stuff - all the line drawings that were so neat and busy - almost like engravings. They were perfect for detailed colouring! Sets from around 1996, 1997. Where did that artist go??

MSBetsyZ 12-01-2007 11:41 AM

I have always appreciated the fact, though, that SU does give a head's up on retiring sets. At least if there are stamps you've been wanting to get, you have another month to get them. I've been stung once or twice with other companies that don't provide that, and I wind up SOL.

I did notice that again this year there are several brand new sets on the list. Granted, some of them are seasonal, but not all. I just like the fact that they make room for new sets twice as often. It's a shorter wait to the next catalog, lol!

MaiTi 12-01-2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMountainStamper (Post 7875813)
And the irony of it all is that Splitcoast was *started* by an SU! demo to keep in better touch with her downline...:rolleyes:

That's a shame.

I wish they had a general forum that was strictly dedicated to SU.

MSBetsyZ 12-01-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTi (Post 7876172)
That's a shame.

There is a thread floating around this forum titled something like, "Let's talk about SU," that's getting fairly lengthy.

snowcountry311 12-01-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTi (Post 7876172)
That's a shame.

everyone here is free to start any thread they want. start one on your favorite line.
hard to say this site isn't branching out. just take a look at the home page.

Gina K. Designs 12-01-2007 12:05 PM

I used to be a demo and knew every single stamp set. Since I am no longer a demo, I don't know a lot of the stamp set names so I use the catalog as a guide when I look over the retired list. I am sad to see those huge monograms go. I have almost all of them and now I'm wondering if I should get the few I don't have. (Then, I wonder if they will come out with new ones I like better! LOL!)

I love Aida Cloth- great background stamp and I really think Cold Play is adorable. It's so hard when stuff retires because you think you have to have it, then they come out with something new that you like just as much!! It's a quandry. I guess the best solution- Buy what you love, just in case!
Hugs,
Gina K.

craftygirl04 12-01-2007 12:11 PM

I had a sneaking suspicion "It's Snow Time" was going to retire. So glad I got it with my hostess $ from my party. Other than that, three of the sets I own are retiring. I really don't love any other of the retiring sets to buy them. I, too, would rather wait and see what's in the new catty, although I have enough different stamps to substitute. Also, I'm hoping for the Canadian prices to come down somewhat in the new catty.

QueenOfInkland 12-01-2007 01:27 PM

Can someone please post the SU 12/1/7 retired list here?

Hi. I am having problems downloading the pdf file from SU's website. Could/would some kind soul post the list here, please - and THANK YOU very much :)

Judluvstostamp 12-01-2007 02:13 PM

I love Stampin Up!!! It is the main reason I joined Splitcoast Stamper. I like seeing everyone's work using Stampin Up products. I also like the idea of my dealer being close at hand. I am not a big fan of using a credit card over the internet to buy from all these companies.

mrs_hawkins 12-01-2007 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInkland (Post 7877016)
Hi. I am having problems downloading the pdf file from SU's website. Could/would some kind soul post the list here, please - and THANK YOU very much :)

Here you go!

jeanstamping2 12-01-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_hawkins (Post 7877579)
Here you go!

I too am having a problem opening this too.

lbirus 12-01-2007 03:32 PM

I'm a huge SU fan but even I didn't know all the names by heart, I had to look them up. I used to know every set by name but I think it's a great thing that I don't!!! That means that they are doing a great job of keeping it fresh and new!!!

It seems like it's fast paced but I personally love it! I only have a couple retiring sets I'm pondering... mostly classic stuff that won't go out of style Label Classics and Elegant Inspirations (that's the "boxes that go around anything" and some "scriptural sayings" for the OP! ****wink***)

sistastamper 12-01-2007 03:44 PM

I'm a demo and I'm sad to see some of the Christmas sets go. I'm kicking myself because I placed an order, for myself, on 11/29 and the only 2 sets I ordered are on the list - ARGH!! I still like them and am glad I'm getting them. Thankfully, too, I'm mostly a hobby demo.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Spring/Summer catalog is slammin!!!

kerrym38 12-01-2007 03:46 PM

I can't open the retired list. Acrobat tells me "the viewer cannot decrypt this document". Hmmmm ....

deeth1 12-01-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvnhjw (Post 7875649)
I don't think that I have anything on the list. Just by looking at the list, I don't think that I need anything either. I have been devoted to SU for about seven years now and in the last year and a half, I have ventured out to other stamp companies. I have found that I use the "other" stamp companies more then I use SU. I still go to SU for paper, ink and all the other embellishments though. I am finding that I like less and less of SU's stamp sets.

I totally agree.

flwrldy3 12-01-2007 04:33 PM

I think it's a matter of style. I haven't been stamping long but I love the great clear images with a lot of detail and shading that SU does like the Touch of Nature set. http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...57305?cat=5311

I don't find many like that anywhere else. Lately they have had a lot of doodled style stamps which I don't care for very much. I am hoping that the new catalog will have more animals, flowers, nature etc with fine detail and shading.

PS why do almost all bird stamps show a side image and not a front or other flying angle?

QueenOfInkland 12-01-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_hawkins (Post 7877579)
Here you go!

Thanks so much! I downloaded it but got the decrpyted error also. How large is the list? Is it too large to copy and paste into a message? The wonders of technology LOL.......

Trotskired7 12-01-2007 05:33 PM

There is nothing that I "needed", but I am so excited about the new catalog!

It's a good life!

stampinmomnh 12-01-2007 05:37 PM

You know I was a huge fan of SU, but since they have changed everything.I am finding myself not so much any more.

Big Sky LadyBug 12-01-2007 06:28 PM

I am a die-hard SU fan, have been since 1994. I personally am not very happy with the 2 catty a year concept. If they want to stay up to date on the new trends, they should double the amount of the special issues. But that is just me. I buy from many other companies, but I always return to SU for the majority of my "sets", I am not a big buyer of singles.

~MJ

Paperdoll Steph 12-01-2007 06:53 PM

I love SU stamps and products for so many reasons and can't wait for the new catalog, although I have to admit that I am also not feeling like I NEED to have any of the retired sets. I rather save up my $$ for the new sets... [ like "Little Bird Told Me" in the preview.. so cute :) !!]

I just recently branched out to clear stamps, and love using these stamps because you can see them being inked and the placement on CS. I wish SU had a line of clear stamps... not if they converted their whole catalog, but if they offered a few clear stamp sets, or some of their sets (like standard sentiments, alphabets, etc.) in clear or traditional woodmounted rubber. I wonder if they ever would think about that?

goodlicorice 12-01-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine (Post 7876116)
I miss the old SU! stuff - all the line drawings that were so neat and busy - almost like engravings. They were perfect for detailed colouring! Sets from around 1996, 1997. Where did that artist go??

Good question! After the last retirement list and the new catalog, I went through my older SU! catalogs and found many retired sets I wanted.

I think SU! had several talented artists back then who created lots of different styles. Lately they seem to be giving all the work to whoever is in charge of doodling! :rolleyes:

lgulotta 12-02-2007 05:01 AM

I personally feel like I am at the saturation point with stamps...if I never ever bought another set, I'd be covered with anything I'd want to do with the stamps I already own. To buy more now seems like (to me) a complete and possibly selfish indulgence, done only for the sake of spending or just to have something NEW. Yet that's what the kazillions of companies have to make me/us feel so we can keep them in business, wonderful as they are. That's personally where I'm at and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it for my own peace and health as a person.

SU will always have a special place in my life as the company that got me started in the hobby I love, and even though I don't buy as many stamps from them anymore (the whole saturation thing), I enjoy my stamp club and using their images.

QueenOfInkland 12-02-2007 07:31 AM

Download new version of Adobe Acrobat

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2 (Post 7877670)
I too am having a problem opening this too.

I downloaded the 6.0 verion of Acrobat and I can now save the pdf file to my pc and then open it from my pc. I cannot view it using my browser, but that's okay since I can save and view.

Hope this helps others who were having viewing problems! :)

jeanstamping2 12-02-2007 06:22 PM

Finally got it to open up for me. I too had to save it then open it.