Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think stamping / paper crafting considered art?

So I was watching a Copic tutorial on you tube the other day and noticed there were a lot of comments..so I read down a little ways.WOW. Someone had commented on how her sister used these ( copics) for her stamping and paper crafting projects, and this random jerk came in really hateful saying that those were "for real artists" blah blah...it got a little heated.

So that got me wondering if you as a stamper think what you do is art? I do. I went to art school ( a long time ago mind you) but have been a creative person my whole life..sometimes more than others. I think anything that you do to express yourself or make something..a thing of beauty especially to brighten someone else's day..that is art and by definition the person creating it is an "artist". I thought the guy was rude. I met many like him in college..where the "real artist" had to behave in a certain manner...act a certian way and use certain supplies and usually considered themselves a notch above the average person...phish..I say. Who cares if you are using "artist" grade markers on your rubber stamps..??Seriously that is kind of genius if you ask me..you took a product intended for one thing and manipulated it for something else..artist..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
I think anything that you do to express yourself or make something..a thing of beauty especially to brighten someone else's day..that is art and by definition the person creating it is an "artist".
Yep. What you said

Also, I don't read comments on YouTube for this exact reason
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I am not an artist but I do believe there are many artists on this forum. Just gander through the
gallery at all the amazing things people have made!! Fantastic works of art!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

That was just a stupid comment. What exactly is the definition of a 'real artist?" People like that commenter are better left ignored. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find paper crafting of any kind to be a very high level of art! These gifted people that design and make all the beautiful items that grace the covers and pages of magazines, blogs and here are truly amazing artists!

Some people just have no sense of art!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I consider what I personally do to be a hobby. I do believe there are some out there that can produce fabulous works of art out of paper crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well I guess Don Marco is no artist because he only uses crayons...
Don Marco - The Master Crayon Artist

:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yep, card making is an art, you have to have an eye to putting different colors together and also a pleasing lay-out too or your card will not "feel" right when you look at it.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I absolutely think it is an art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
Well I guess Don Marco is no artist because he only uses crayons...
Don Marco - The Master Crayon Artist

:rolleyes:

WOW....AMAZING!!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #11  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

I personally don't consider myself artistic, so I would call what I do crafting.
But I don't see anything wrong in using good materials for it ;-), my watercolours are Winsor and Newton Artist's Watercolours, not the student-grade ones. And if I could afford them I'd be buying Arches watercolour pads. Whether you consider it art or craft there's nothing wrong with using good materials if you can afford them and enjoy using them. Would you rather cook with margarine or butter, after all. Maple-flavour syrup or maple syrup??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Here's how I look at this oft-debated-never-resolved topic.

Professionals in all fields have standards and reputations to uphold, as well as a need to justify their salaries, commissions, fees, etc. They often have to study for many years and work very hard to be certified, licensed, or degreed professionals, and this gives them a vested interest in preserving the sanctity of their profession.

Amateurs are any ol' Jane or John Doe who may also work very hard to master a skill on their own or in formal study but who have a passion that doesn't extend to professional aspirations.

Most of us can cook a decent meal, but that doesn't make us Iron Chefs. Most of us can decorate a room that makes us happy, but that doesn't make us interior designers. Most of us can effectively teach our children to read, but that doesn't make us licensed teachers. ALL of us on this website can make art, but that doesn't make all of us professional artists.

I don't want to be a professional artist. I don't want to worry about people buying my stuff so I can make a living. I don't want to take a bunch of classes and get a certificate verifying my expertise.

I want to play with cool toys and exercise my creativity. I want to make pretty things that make me happy and that please other people I know and love. I want to share what I make here and on my blog so others might be inspired to have as much fun as I'm having and to pass on the favor of that inspiration I've received from so many other paper artists over the years.

I've read nasty comments on graphic design blogs putting down scrapbooking. My sister has a professional writer friend who refuses to read my writing blog because she doesn't waste her time read mere blogs.

Prejudices run deep. Art is creative self-expression and comes in many forms and many levels of accomplishment. If small minds want to put others down to make themselves feel better, there's little anyone can do about it, especially in comments on the internet.

Be who you are, do what you love, and let the small minds go. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, Ditto what Susan said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

It makes you wonder why he took the time to watch a video on Copic card making if he's not into making cards. Seems like a jealous insecure artist to me who has way too much time for opinions and not enough for art. Hope he gets his MoJo back.

I actually use Copics for my art work. I am still scratching my head why the $7 marker is used for making cards, lol. Nobody bark at me. I know why it's used for making cards. Reasons are it's fun, pretty, gorgeous results. I love to use color pencils and watercolor for my cards. I am sure plenty of artists who make cards can't wrap their heads around why many of us stampers love to use that medium. Aren't we supposed to save our good supplies for art? I know that's why I can't use Copics for cards. Those are my good art markers.

Yes, I do think card making and stamping are art. It's the same thing in all other crafting forms. Doesn't matter if it's needlework or woodworking. Just because you do not apply paint to canvas does not mean it isn't art. I think museums attest to that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

People like he nasty commenter are just stupid and there is a lot of stupid out there. It absolutely is an art and takes skill. I'd like to see said commenter sit down and make a card! Now, I am not artistic any any other means but stamping but it sure does take an eye for design and color and balance and all that artsy fartsy stuff

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Seems like the "random jerk" (lol) has a very narrow view of art and probably would protest to the contrary as needs fit.

I use Copics because they were the first alcohol marker I tested that didn't feel "scratchy" when I colored and with great intense colors I love. Whether or not I make art isn't really the argument. The "random jerk" objects to our using his tools; does a master carpenter object to my hammer usage? does a singer object to me warbling along in appropriate venues? Does a vet object to my having a pet? I agree with Susan on this.

Ironically the popularity of Copics has probably pushed the price down to some degree. The "random jerk" should be grateful! ;)

FWIW - my dearest audience love my work and estimate the value to be rather astronomical so I doubt "random jerk" could afford one of my creations! ;) (see top of page 2 - Forums at Splitcoaststampers)

I also wonder what "random jerk" thinks about Warhol...

As for the question "Is cardmaking art" - the answer is yes and no. Some of it is and some of it isn't. And just look around at some of things considered art and I am sure we can all disagree on that as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

I agree with a lot of the comments here. I was a professional artist for several years until my grandmother passed away, and then I just didn't have the heart for it. It took me a wonderful new husband to even consider that art was what was missing...hmm...

That said, I have been in the "art" circles before but I have actually found so much more creativity in the stamping world. That is not to say I don't want to pursue some sales of art work it is to say that stampers are great. The really want to learn and improve and put just as much heart and soul in what they do. Paper crafting baffles me sometimes. I sit in awe of what you ladies do with design papers and embellishments...I really do. It takes some serious artistic talent to put together some of the designs I have seen.

My thoughts on mere stampers using copics is this...if you are baking you want the best possible ingredients for your confections? If you are buying a car you want the most for your money right? Why not with your markers? I don't have any (haven�t taken a ride on that slippery slope yet) but I don't have an issue with people using them for stamping. I don't know of many professional artists that would.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I met many like him in college..where the "real artist" had to behave in a certain manner...act a certian way and use certain supplies and usually considered themselves a notch above the average person...phish..I say.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I have a Fine Art degree, too, and that was my experience in school also...and I "phish" right along with you.

The debate of art vs. craft was bantered about in just about every art class I took :rolleyes: and it bugged me then and it still does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Amen to what Susan said. I'm sure Copic loves that not just "professional" artists buy their products, and I'm sure that goes for any other company who sells professional level art supplies that are purchased by us mere card makers and scrapbookers.

Color of Happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

When I thank my customers who purchase my cards, I always say "thank you for supporting handmade arts". My cards are never "gallery worthy" in the sense of artistic value, but to my customers--they like that they are unique and handmade and in their eyes, artsy. I'm OK with that. If others think it "dowdy" or whatever...that's OK, too. I'll probably ignore them, but I'm just like that--ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Crafting in all forms is art. Some of it is considered folk art. But you don't have to get paid or do something "well" for it to be art. Think of all the elementary art projects our kids have brought home. Art is a form of self expression at whatever level. You think a "real artist" would know that! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JubleView Post
I am not an artist but I do believe there are many artists on this forum. Just gander through the
gallery at all the amazing things people have made!! Fantastic works of art!!
This would be my thought as well. When I design a card on my own, I am rarely happy with it. When I case a card from splitcoast, I love it! For some reason, I have a feel and an appreciation for real art. I just can't create it on my own.
Reply With Quote Likes