Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yay! Going to a Scrappin' Retreat...

My friend and I are heading to a scrappin'/stampin' retreat this weekend -- ALL weekend! It's an overnighter from Friday-Sunday. We've made an enormous list of stuff to take to work on various projects, but does anyone have any tips they'd like to share? Like how to fit it all??

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have any tips, but I just want to say that I am very jealous you get to stamp and scrap all weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have no idea, but I am subscribing! I am going on one this summmer and I am flying - I've got no idea how to get it all there!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mune5664
I don't have any tips, but I just want to say that I am very jealous you get to stamp and scrap all weekend.
No tips here - but loads of JEALOUSY as well!! Have fun!!!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

wow now that's a great slumber party!!! snort!
I haven't the foggiest idea. . . never been to one. but I would recommend some super comfy to wear and to walk in. jammies & slippers? ? ? snort !
have a great time! can't wait to hear about it when ya come back.

it's gonna be a good day tater! ~ Ron White
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

i'm a little jeolous i'll have to admit!

i have heard about these but never been- so i don't really have any advise!

i'm so glad for you that you have a friend to share your addiction with!

have fun and safe travel!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

The invite even said "wear your jammies all weekend!" LOL

Emily -- I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to get it all there with flying! We're going to fill the back of her Durango as it is! Maybe send some stuff ahead?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I just went to my second one this past weekend. They are so much fun! I was there from early Saturday morning through early Sunday evening. I took way more than I used, but I like to have options and not feel like I have to compromise if I come up with an idea and then realize I didn't bring that particular tool, stamp, etc.

Anyway, my friend and I drove and each had a large table to ourselves, so we were able to just fill up her car with whatever supplies we wanted to take. Just to give you an idea: I took 2 large Rubbermaid totes - one was filled with paper and the other was packed with my paper trimmer, my "tool box" full of embellishments, a basket of ribbon, all of my pictures, and some die cuts. I also took 3 of my plastic 3 drawer containers (1 large and 2 small) filled with the punches, tools, adhesive, markers, ink pads, and stamp sets I thought I might want to use over the weekend. I also took my Big Shot along.

If you are working on a particular project or if you can plan your pages ahead of time, it would make deciding on your supplies a lot easier. Also, if there are vendors at your retreat, you can always purchase something if you need to or use their tools if they make them available to the participants. One of the vendors at ours bring a couple of die cutting machines and tons of punches for everyone to use.

Anyway, I hope that helps at least a little. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been to two of these and this is what worked for me.
If you have a friend going plan what you will each bring so that you both don't bring the same thing . This can save a lot of space. Like one cuttlebug, one eyelet setter...etc...... you will want your own paper cutters, but for the most part you can share other tools.
Also what really helped me was to plan out what I would be scrapbooking/stampin'. I had my pictures organized and ready to go. This is where a lot of women wasted time. They were going through pictures trying to decide what album to work on.
I store my cardstock in a rubermaid tote and I have it organized into file folders. I take the whole tote because I don't want to be with out my CS. If you are flying I would take 5 or 6 sheets of your favorite colors.
I stamp in my scrapbooks, but there is no way I can take everything so I use my versa mark pad and I take my color box petal point chalk pads. (that will give you lots of colors with out tons of stamp pads)
For stamps I take an alphabet set and then what ever sets I think will go with the pictures I have pre planned out. I don't take more than 3 or 4 sets. If you have a friend going this helps because she can bring several and you can bring several.
Because you won't (or maybe you will??) have your SCS for ideas I print out sketches and put them in a binder. I also bring a few idea books.
For my ribbon I cut a little of the colors I use the most and put them in a zip lock bag. I did the same for primas and brads.
COMFY CLOTHES!!!!! That is the most important thing!!!
That's all I can think of for now the main thing is pre plan your projects and you won't bring a bunch of stuff you don't need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Don't forget snacks, if that's allowed! If you scrapbook, print off some pages from PageMaps.com for ideas. A pillow to sit on is nice. A lightweight blanket/jacket too! Some places can be chilly. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh what fun!
I just returned from my second retreat a couple weeks ago and had a great time.

The best advice I can give anyone is to prepare ahead of time. This last time I did not have as much prep time so thing were not as organized as I would have liked but I still was able to complete 22 pages!! (12x12)

I actually do CM power layouts so I usually have at least 30 if not more ideas ready to go ~ I put the pics and sometimes pieces of cs as well as a sticky note with ideas together.

I would have a hard time if I had to fly since my paper bag alone probably weighs over 50 lbs!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I have been to one already also. The ladies that I scrap with(& myself) are going to a hotel this weekend to crop all night long.We will be in suites across the hall from each other. So we will probably stay in pj's all weekend. I agree with the others to organize ahead. Also bring more ideas than you think you will need, just incase you finish what you are doing. Lots of snacks and "drinks". Most important is to HAVE FUN!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Bring a trash container - I use a laundry basket that folds in a tiny little bag (5"x5"). Often the room will have trash cans, but can be in inconvenient locations.

Bring a shelving system of some type to stack on the table. Usually the tables are small (okay, they get really small once you spread out your supplies), so if you can stack supplies high in the middle of the table, you'll find it very convenient. The less 'digging' you have to do to find something, the easier. I use a compact folding shelving system that I found in the kitchen section of Walmart.

Take advantage of the massages/manicures/pedicures they have available. The break will do you good.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for all the feedback! I know we all get 8 ft. tables to ourselves! No spa treatments at all, but that leave more time for scrappin,!

I think my friend and I have our bases covered. We came up with the list of stuff and spilt it out between us. She's bringing inks and reinkers, I'm bringing markers and a ton of stuff for the techniques we're going to work on (we're making a techniques book). We split the stamps sets down the middle...

We have snacks, need to get some beverages. We have spill-proof cups... have to look at my list, but I think, according to you all, we're good to go!

Thanks again for the tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

OMG! I'm going to a scrapping retreat this weekend also! This is my first one and I'm very excited! I'm bringing diet soda and fruit because i just started weight watchers (again) --- and enough scrapping supplies to sink a battleship LOL!
I've learned from past crops that no matter how well I THINK I've planned, I always leave something home. I just hope it's not my photos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

I'm going to my first retreat in May. I can;t wait! It's from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Sure wish I was going along! Have a lot of fun and get a lot accomplished!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Another demo I know went to one of these. She scrapped exclusively with our Scrappin Kits and the other ladies there went ga-ga over them! She ended up selling a bunch of them after the retreat. I know that this info is probably too late for you now though! But good to know for next time!

Have a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Definitely plan ahead what you want to work on. Otherwise you will overpack like I always do!
Check to see what kind of lighting there will be and the availability of outlets near your table. Because of my *ahem* aging eyes, I usually bring my small Ott Lite which is a great help when I am stamping all day and night.

My friends and I split up what each would bring the first time. The second retreat we did together, I ended up bringing things that I used a lot and didn't want to have to wait on like my Versamark and Stazon Black & Brown pads.

We all also brought some CD's to listen to while working and DVDs to watch when we needed a break. However, we were a smallish group of 20 so nobody had any problems with taking turns with music choices.

Another idea somebody had was to bring small plastic grocery bags and tape so you could tape them to the side of your table for paper scraps. I used one of the CM sidekicks and that worked great.

Also bring a couple bandaids in case somebody cuts themselves. Stampers and scrappers hate to ruin their projects with a drop of blood!

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I just got back from my retreat -- I brought a paper grocery bag for my trash and was very happy that i did. No plug available for an ott light so that i was a bummer.
I didn't need many of the tools I own because they had them available at the crop, so check that out before you go.
Next time I will definitely bring a shelving system - that would have been great. Many people had them and their areas didn't look like a bomb went off like mine did LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes