Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please w/PTI matching dies/stamps

I got the In the Meadow stamp and die sets, and now I'm feeling a bit frustrated. Does anybody know of a video or two that might have lessons in getting them lined up? I'm not having much luck, I'm afraid.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have that set, but I know they recommend cutting first and stamping second. Would that help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I got the In the Meadow stamp and die sets, and now I'm feeling a bit frustrated. Does anybody know of a video or two that might have lessons in getting them lined up? I'm not having much luck, I'm afraid.
I don't have any PTI sets with matching dies, but I do have several of their tag sets that you line up on different size circles, etc. I have a pretty steady hand and good eyes (with glasses, lol) but I always have trouble lining up the stamps so that there is an even white border all around.

I looked at Nicole Heady's blog to see what she had done with In the Meadow, and it all looks great. Lovely stamped images on the die cuts with a perfect white border all around the edge. Maybe it just takes lots of practice, which I am sure Nicole gets to do at Papertrey. The gals on their design team all seem to get the stamps just right on the die cuts, too.

Maybe you need to make a few "practice runs" after you die cut the images, just to line things up right. I know you have to be looking straight down at the image through the acrylic block in order to get it anywhere near even all around the edges.

Good luck!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks...it's those practice runs that have me befuddled, lol! I will keep practicing, I was just hoping someone might have seen a video or pictorial, step-by-step instructions with some fabulous tip...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Its not you! I actually stopped buying those matching dies because it's too difficult. I got so frustrated trying to do some shower favors for my sister using the sweet baby stuff, I ended up selling the set and dies. I really wish they would sell the die alignment tools. Now I only buy dies that can be used alone

I will pass along this method I read on the PTI board:

Cut the die on to a blank sheet (I'll call this the negative sheet). Stamp the image onto a separate sheet. Put the negative sheet over the stamped image you want to cut. Center the opening of the negative sheet over the image. Using the negative sheet as a guide, put the die back into the diecut hole of the negative sheet. Without shifting any of the layers run it through your machine.

I've never tried this method but in theory it should work. Good luck!

JJ

Last edited by ribbongirls; 10-22-2011 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Added my name
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbongirlsView Post
Its not you! I actually stopped buying those matching dies because it's too difficult. I got so frustrated trying to do some shower favors for my sister using the sweet baby stuff, I ended up selling the set and dies. I really wish they would sell the die alignment tools. Now I only buy dies that can be used alone

Cut the die on to a blank sheet (I'll call this the negative sheet). Stamp the image onto a separate sheet. Put the negative sheet over the stamped image you want to cut. Center the opening of the negative sheet over the image. Using the negative sheet as a guide, put the die back into the diecut hole of the negative sheet. Without shifting any of the layers run it through your machine.

JJ
JJ, thanks for this tip. It looks like a bit of trouble, but I agree, it also looks like it should work.

I'm like you...if it's too much trouble or too tedious, they lose me. I have this hobby for fun, not frustration!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

It looks like there's several videos on Youtube: pti dies - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbongirlsView Post

JJ
It helps to cut the blank sheet/negative sheet/template in a different than the stamped image. So if you stamped your image on white cardstock cut your negative on a different color paper. This really helps to see clearly where the die cut should go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this works for the PTI dies, but I saw a video on Sizzix and their new stamps with matching die cuts. The woman in the video actually stamped first and then used a piece of sticky note paper to hold the die over the stamped image, and then cut. Of course, their dies are open dies and you can see through them. Might be a bit trickier with the closed dies.

I own the PTI set Leaf Prints and matching dies. I didn't have any problems cutting first, then stamping onto the die cut. With the clear stamps, it seems easier to do. Maybe not for every set and matching die, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a Hero Arts video for their matching stamps & dies. It seems easier to stamp & then place the die over the stamped image.

Here's another video using a stamp positioner as option to perfectly line up stamp on a die cut. The die cuts are made from a digital image & cut with a Silhouette but you get the idea of how to use the matching stamp with a positioner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think the new Hero Arts/Sizzix sets are made to match up easier; JulieHRR has done a couple of videos where she uses washi tape to hold the die over the stamped image; perfect every time! I'm going to look for one of those sets when I get to my LSS this week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Betsy, I have the same issue with matching stamp and die sets, but beyond that, for the now and then times that I want an image cut out, I really don't mind doing it by hand. It's even kind of fun if you're not doing a bazillion and I rarely do mass production.

I did purchase the In the Meadow stamps and dies though but ONLY because I thought they were nicely done and I would use them independently.

The idea of cutting a template is a good one - a little cumbersome, but will certainly work! And I found dispensers of Post-It Tape at Target some time ago which would really help with or without a template.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I've used them two different ways depending upon the die.

1. die cut the paper and use post it notes (sticky side up, Nichole's way) to hold the die cut in place while stamping.
2. cut a piece of acetate as a guide first. stamp your image and then using the acetate guide, draw guide lines around where you want to cut lightly with a pencil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I have a die cut that has a matching stamp and what I did was cut out with the die then took a small piece of tape and put it on the back on the cut out piece and placed it on a scrap piece of paper then stamped the image on my stamp a ma jig sheet and lined the image up with the die cut and stamped it that way. It can be a bit of a pain but it turned out really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

You guys are awesome! I did some more practicing last night; I put the die cut piece down onto a contrasting color to help me see it better. I did a little bit better, but still not dead on. Looks like I need to cook up some popcorn and watch some videos, lol! Thanks so much for the links and ideas! And, Nancy, I bought them figuring I could use them independently, too, but I did want to give it a try, anyway...I guess I'm stubborn.

I had planned on getting a Hero set anyway, because they do look easier, but this PTI set just grabbed me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I have two of the Hero Arts/Sizzix sets, and they are very cute and easy to use. Can't wait to buy a few more! When you consider that they each include a full stamp set and lots of accompanying dies, I think they're a real bargain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Betsy, I may end up still trying them together, too!!! Even though I know I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't think I could use them separately . . . now that I have them, I bet I'll at least try it.

I bought the cutest reindeer stamp set from Hero Arts - and didn't even know you could buy the set with the dies. Had I known, I may have changed my feelings about matched sets of dies and stamps because of that open design. I bet it's easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I use a stamp-a-majig for the PTI dies. It's the best tool I ever bought. It also helps me to align some of my mounted rubber stamps. Gina K did a video on how to use this tool. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mary Rose, I tried to PM you but your box is full!!! Thank you so much for your thoughtful gift and lovely card!!!

I'm so tempted to look at more of those Hero Arts sets . . . I have danger warnings go off in my head when I check out Hero Arts -- I'm afraid there's addiction potential there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmo98caView Post
I use a stamp-a-majig for the PTI dies. It's the best tool I ever bought. It also helps me to align some of my mounted rubber stamps. Gina K did a video on how to use this tool. HTH
SAMJ!!! *slaps forehead* That would be a huge help! I love it - great tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post
I have a die cut that has a matching stamp and what I did was cut out with the die then took a small piece of tape and put it on the back on the cut out piece and placed it on a scrap piece of paper then stamped the image on my stamp a ma jig sheet and lined the image up with the die cut and stamped it that way. It can be a bit of a pain but it turned out really well.
I basically did this, but I have one of those nonstick craft mats, so I stuck the die cut to the craft mat with a piece of score tape (holds really well), then used my stamp positioner to stamp. Pretty good, although the positioner tends to slide a bit on my mat! (Might be operator malfunction. ;))

The scor tape holds SO well, that I have to peel the mat off the die cut rather than the other way around, or I will rip the back of the die cut. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Mary Rose, I tried to PM you but your box is full!!! Thank you so much for your thoughtful gift and lovely card!!!

I'm so tempted to look at more of those Hero Arts sets . . . I have danger warnings go off in my head when I check out Hero Arts -- I'm afraid there's addiction potential there!
Nancy, it was the LEAST I could do to thank you for your generosity! And yes, I am sensing the danger warning with Hero Arts stamps, too. But I ignored the warnings and bought a bunch anyway! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

If you like the Hero Arts stamp & die sets...Go check out the Memory Box stamp & die sets! OMGosh cute!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

This is my first post!
I was just doing this today and thought I'd share my solution since it seems to work pretty well. The one I've been fooling around with today is PTI's Turning Over a New Leaf set and matching up all the little leaves is brutal. Once the stamp is all inky there's no way I can see through it to position it properly. Anyway... here's what I did.
  1. ink up the stamp, put it on a block, lay it on the table face up
  2. -with the stamp face up on the table, take the diecut and sort of "float" it over the inked up stamp. Place it on so lightly you can reposition by tapping it with your fingernail.
  3. -When everything looks good, press the diecut down onto the stamp with a second block. Resist the urge to twist, just press all over.

I was surprised how well this worked. Even the worst ones turned out better than the ones I had done the regular way. Hope this helps someone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a Google Search: Can anyone line up the PTI In The Meadow dies? and this old old thread came up. I have tried all of these methods, even SAMJ and it's still not perfect enough :( The closest I came was using the negative to position where the die would go but the problem I ran in to is that the inside of the negative is smaller than the die. Meaning I set the die on top and now can't pull the negative off without moving the die!!! I have looked for videos that show someone actually lining up the dies (other than circles and flowers) and can't find a thing. I have, though, found several websites with people asking this very same question. Does anyone out there have a video or tutorial with pictures that show lining up PTI dies? Thanks for listening to me whine :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I did a Google Search: Can anyone line up the PTI In The Meadow dies? and this old old thread came up. I have tried all of these methods, even SAMJ and it's still not perfect enough :( The closest I came was using the negative to position where the die would go but the problem I ran in to is that the inside of the negative is smaller than the die. Meaning I set the die on top and now can't pull the negative off without moving the die!!! I have looked for videos that show someone actually lining up the dies (other than circles and flowers) and can't find a thing. I have, though, found several websites with people asking this very same question. Does anyone out there have a video or tutorial with pictures that show lining up PTI dies? Thanks for listening to me whine :(
I use the negative die cut method like you do but I cut a slit in one side of it to open it up so I can remove it from around the die. You just have to be very careful and make sure you have firm pressure on the die or it will slip when you remove the negative guide. After I remove it I use some removable tape to hold the die in place and run it through my Vagabond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Why do you remove the negative layer before running it through the machine? You shouldn't have to. Once you take it out of the machine, remove the die, the negative layer, and then pick up your die cut shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Why do you remove the negative layer before running it through the machine? You shouldn't have to. Once you take it out of the machine, remove the die, the negative layer, and then pick up your die cut shape.
Well DUH! :eek: I did not think about that!!! I was using cardstock as my negative but now that I think about it, I could just use something thin like vellum or something so as not to make the sandwich too thick. I swear sometimes I don't know how I get my shoes on every day. Thank you, SkyNacho, for pointing that out. (Looking for the Homer Simpson emoticon DOH!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Well DUH! :eek: I did not think about that!!! I was using cardstock as my negative but now that I think about it, I could just use something thin like vellum or something so as not to make the sandwich too thick. I swear sometimes I don't know how I get my shoes on every day. Thank you, SkyNacho, for pointing that out. (Looking for the Homer Simpson emoticon DOH!)
;)

It's not foolproof. I often find that I don't quite line up the die in the negative and I end up not getting the cut quite right. But usually close enough, and closer than any other option.

With just the extra CS layer, I haven't had any problems with my CB, so you may not even need to try vellum. (Everyone's machine is different of course.) If the CS is too thick, don't waste your vellum-- printer paper will probably work.

But maybe vellum WOULD be good to see through. You could cut our your die, put the die back in, trace the die's outline, take the die out and then use both the negative AND the die outline to help you place the negative over your stamped image...

Gosh, I hope that makes sense. I can see it in my head!
Reply With Quote Likes