Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CM, CTMH, SU

I have a question for all you demonstrators out there. White company do you think is the best for scrapbooking?

Signed confused
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

In my opinion, they are all great for scrapbooking. What matters is your preference in style and products.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think any ONE company is the BEST for scrapbooking or any other thing. Your own personal preference on colors, styles, etc. must come first.

I like having my SU inks, paper, ribbon, etc. all coordinate. That's just me. I think a lot of folks successfully take bits and pieces from all companies, but I pretty much stick to SU. My blog (you need to scroll down a bit) explains why I chose to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Are you asking as in products or are you talking about being a demo.

Either way I have to say use what you like! I love CM albums and a lot of their products...(have most of them) but I also love SU for their stamps and inks....I do not own a SU album and will not......when I scrapbook I use mainly CM paper and only CM adhesives.....I do stamp in my albums tho.
So It is hard for me because I love both companies! I know nothing about CTMH and have only seen one of their cattys.

If I were going to be a demo I would follow my heart and sign for the one that I loved the most because they are both great!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't limit yourself to any one particular company. They all have strong points and weak areas, and each company kind of has it's own style and flair. Pretty much all of them have the acid free stuff down pat, so you no longer have to worry about that.
One thing to look at would be the album size you intend to use--there are a lot of options out there now. If you like a particular size of album that is not 8.5x11 or 12x12, you may want to check out which companies carry the right sixe of paper, so there's not a lot of waste cutting down to size.

Not sure why you're asking, but if you are looking to be a demo for one company, then I'd say pick the one that seems closest to your personal style. You can always use other companies' products in your personal work. You may get some replies here from people trying to persuade you to join one company over the other, but it really needs to be what YOU personally love best. That's what will sell! HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I can't speak to ctmh - I don't have a cattie or order from them at this time. However, folks that do CM LOVE it. It's a very basic style that allows you to get all your scrapping done fast (less mats, more white space, minimal embellishments). Plus CM folks love their albums and they are good. That said, they don't work for me. I have 30 years to scrapbook and it's not in chrono order, so I need a toploading album so I can scrapbook year 15, then year 19, etc... and later put it in the right order. I have used CM albums in the past if I've done an event (like a vacation) with a definate beginning and end.

SU has great Scrapbooking supplies. Folks are raving about their scrap kits, they have nice albums, and the paper/ink/markers/ribbon all match.

If you want a more modern embellished look, SU (and maybe CTMH???) is the way to go. If you want speed and easy go with CM.

Just my humble opinion.....

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Whether you are thinking of becoming a demo or simply want to shop around, I believe the very best way to discover what each company has to offer is to attend or host a party/workshop/class.

I am a SU! Demo but I know the other companies do have certain things I like. That said, my overall preference is with SU! so that's why I demo for them.

Good luck and happy stamping and scrapping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't particularly like CM, cause sticker crazy isn't me.

I really like stamping in scrap books and find CTMH catalog to be full of gorgeous ideas mainly geared to scrapping-IMO.

I think all the companies have great products. I am huge on all of it coordinating-paper, ink, ribbon, brads, and whatnot. As long as you do that your book should come along easier.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

If you're a beginner, CM is the way to go. It's good, solid basic stuff to get you going. If you want to step it up a bit, SU is the way to go for versatility and more creativity. I cannot say one way or another for CMTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Stampstar, I agree with that beginner idea. I was a CM consultant and it was a good beginning--their tools are great. I have gotten into more detail and like to use SU and CTMH for lots of inspiration. I agree it depends on what your style is. When I did a hunting album for my DS, I used a lot of stickers and put them on ripped and ink edged cs--they looked awesome. But then I discovered stamps and I'm lost in my pile now......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

It depends on your style and your personal needs. I could never go CM because of the plainess of the pages, the way the pages are used front and back (rather than a pocket) which forces you to preplan to be chronological and their serious lack of embellishments. However, they do have some good tools (Journaltopia and curvy cutter for example).

Stampin Up's selection of scrapbooking products is more limited than that offered by CTMH and (personally) CTMH is more my style. However, how many people really use kits? I found that my CTMH kits tend to sit unused waiting for the right photos/theme (although I will admit to liking the 3D look of the Stickease). I prefer to use LSS supplies instead choosing to match the products to the photos I want to use as I go, especially as trends change so often. I think this is how most scrapbookers scrap (especially once they have some experience) and it is a much cheaper way to scrapbook rather than buying the kits as you only buy the stuff you truly need and will use, well most of the time

However, I just signed up as an SU demo and plan to use their products for my scrapbooks. This is because (IMO) when it comes to stamping/card-making, their supplies just can't be beaten for their great designs and reasonable prices. Yes acrylic might be cheaper, but CTMH accessories cost more than SU on average.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Laycock
In my opinion, they are all great for scrapbooking. What matters is your preference in style and products.
Agreed.

I would advise attending a home workshop for each, purchasing and perusing their catalogs, and getting more of a sense of what appeals to you visually. The catalogs will serve as inspiration guides, not just as catalogs for purchasing, and it can also help you narrow down any questions you might have for each respective demonstrator about how a particular product works, etc.

If you're looking for which company to sign up under as a demonstrator, I suggest signing up with the company whose products you really are most enthusiastic about AND provides you a compensation and minimum sales requirements that best suits your needs/wants/situation.

I also recommend you sit down and discuss the details of each with their respective demonstrators. You are under no obligation to sign up with anyone, just by asking for detailed information, and you should be aware of all the pertinent facts so you can make an informed decision that is best for YOU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

I also really like KI Memories and SEI their kits are delicious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 05:36 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all 3 companies have some thing nice to offer for scrapbooking but since I know more about CTMH I'll speak to that CTMH has scrapbooking kits for all levels: level 1 and base pages are fantastic for beginners or someone wanting quick easy pages, level 2 offers more room for creativity w/ matching papers and stickers and level 3 adds embellishments and stamping for even more details. The things I like most about them are how everything goes together, colors, patterns, etc and how they even lend themselves great to card making too!
HTH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Ditto on CTMH! I signed up to be a consultant because I wanted to learn more about scrapbooking, and IMHO CTMH offered more for a person wanting to get into scrapbooking... I've always loved embellishments, fancy papers and such, so CTMH has all that to offer (and it coordinates so nicely!)... We have a basic scrapbook how-to program called Reflections, and an AMAZING new program called Cherish. I can get 6 pages done in 20 minutes, and I use patterned papers, embellishments, even stamps!!! I have never found a better program for a person who loves the look of patterned papers and embellishments in their books, or for the person who wants to scrap a lot of pages in very little time... Just my two cents!!!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you don't already have catalogs from each company, you really should look at them to see which company carries products more to your liking. You should also find out the compensation plans for each company, and what quota's are, whether you need to purchase in quantity (which I believe CM requires) what the options are for advancement (just in case you get the urge to turn your passion into a business), etc. Take your time making the decision.
If you have a core group of friends who might be your customers, get input from them also, as, they may have a preference of one company over the other. I have a downline who had been with CM for quite some time. But, her friends had already purchased all that CM had to offer that they wanted, and she had begun to struggle. She quit CM to join CTMH, and now she's having a ball. Her friends can't wait until the new catalog comes out every 4 months to see what's new, and she's no longer struggling as a demo because they barely have time to get everything they want from a current catalog before the new one comes out.

Suz
CTMH Director
http://www.suzastampin.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:34 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Suz. I guess I should've elaborated a little more on my question. I am currently a CM consultant struggling with the question of switching companies. I spoke with my customers and they all like CTMH for scrapping. I have a really great demo for CTMH and she is great. I'm just struggling with what to do. I have all the stampin up cardstock, ink pads, tons of stamps from them.

Thanks for everyone's opinions on these 3 companies. I really appreciate hearing what others have to say about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Julie, I agree totally with you--go to the parties ;) That IS the best way to know--no matter what people say here, everyone sees a product a different way! All three companies deal in top quality product. It is YOUR personal needs that you have to meet. I say, 'Enjoy them all!'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

CM is good for beginners, I am not too into the other 2 for SB. SU is great for stamping, CTMH I tried once and No futher comment. I started on my own without any company never knew CM existed I did it on my own then used CM and I signed with another company for my needs. BUT I think considering SB any company should be fine you have to feel comfortable with your consultant and remember dont buy everything at once, consider there recommendations and dont feel pressure with any company ever. That is my story and I sticking to it hehehe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Like most have said, try them all out! It's the best way to find out which products suit you best. When I first started scrapbooking, I was into CM. Simple, plain and easy. It also taught me about the main focus of an album --> your pictures and the memories attached to them. Since then, my own tastes have evolved as well as the crafts I do. Not only do I scrapbook but I make cards, 3-D altered items etc. I've tried CTMH products (mainly stamps) and I don't mind them but I dislike mounting them all the time. Cleaning them is not easy either. Invariably, they slide off the mount while cleaning and my blocks get a little gross ... drives me a little nuts. Stampin' Up has offered me the most versatility for all the projects I do. A ton of variety of stamp sets with new available in each mini. I've also found the majority of their products to be comparable to scrapbooking stores. But, again, try them all out to find out which suits you and your needs best!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Well shoot. I like them all for their own strengths. For CM, I love the albums and the Life Time warranty that comes with them. I love their tools as well. For SU, I love the stamp designs, the cardstock is nice and thick and the ink pads are such a great size and never seem to run out of ink. For CTMH, I love the acrylic stamps and designs, especially all of their word stamps, I love how they have so much variety in their kits and ribbons and accesories. And their Cherish book has been a great inspiration for my scrappin. And if you notice with all of them, you can mix and match them all. The colors all seem to go with each other and their styles can be very similar. I have actually done many a page with all 3 together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I prefer Memory Works for scrapbooking. SU, TAC, and CTMH are great for stamping, and some scrapping-but their styles are limited as far as papers and embellishments. CM I never liked because it seems so plain, with colored triangles and horrid pages in books. (IMHO- and I haven't seen it in a long while). MW has all the newest papers and embellishments, and they sell them together as kits. The kits are exclusive to them. They have gorgeous papers, quality albums, all the accessories, tools, and even idea books. I definitely prefer them for scrapping. For stamping, any of the other three are awesome!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 06:03 AM   #23  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Of the three you listed, CTMH is best for scrapping. I am a SU! demo but I use CTMH for personal scrappin. IT is coordinated and pretty and there is enough of it to keep things interesting. I think the quarterly catalogs are great to keep interest up (you can order stuff from previous catalogs within that year)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 06:36 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapincm
Thanks Suz. I guess I should've elaborated a little more on my question. I am currently a CM consultant struggling with the question of switching companies. I spoke with my customers and they all like CTMH for scrapping. I have a really great demo for CTMH and she is great. I'm just struggling with what to do. I have all the stampin up cardstock, ink pads, tons of stamps from them.

Thanks for everyone's opinions on these 3 companies. I really appreciate hearing what others have to say about them.
I was a CMC for years and struggled to make my quarterly min. one too many times and got out. It was tough for me because we moved around so much and it became harder and harder to find time to "work" my business.
To be honest it is tough these days period. There are so many companies and so many products. I love CM and will always use CM products in my albums. It is tried and true and I love the albums. I have a very open mind to other albums but have not seen anything that I like better.
As for selling ~ well that is the hard part so many people like so many different things that you will never be able to please everyone all the time with one company. You have to go with what you love the most. What will you use the most yourself and what you can financially afford. CM's min. is high and was too much for me to buy on my own so after a year of buying stuff for me I got out. SU is reasonable but since I own so much already and dont stamp as much as I would like I find it hard to justify spending the min for myself every quarter. I do not have the time or desire to work as a business at this time so I continue to be a customer! I dont know what CTMH min's and benefits are so I can not say anything about them.
It all depends on what you are looking for if you are looking to please your customers....well they will bounce from one thing to the other all the time so unless you are willing to bounce then you will always be wondering what to do. Remember that there will always be ups and downs in sales with any company.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I was a stamper long before I was a scrapbooker. And not everyone is a scrapbooker, but all can stamp. In my opinion, and don't flame me please, I love SU and CTMH and use both companies products about the same. I get 10 scrapbooking mags (yes, it is a lot, but I love them all for different reasons) and their pages and the winners pages do not look like CM pages. I know CM has some good tools, or so I've read here, but they don't impress me. I want to use lots of colors and patterns when I scrap and I can always use the left overs to make cards. I am not into white pages, I don't like cut up pictures and I love to use all kinds of embellishments. What do you like?

You cannot sell what you don't believe in if that is where you are headed. I think we all have our favorites and that is what you have to go with. What do you feel passionate about? Don't try to sell something because someone else tells you it's the best. I'm a SU! demo and I have a ton of CTMH stuff, but I buy from LSS all the time. I am not exclusive and I think that the majority of people who really scrap and stamp alot aren't. I'm only a SUDemo because I love the sets and I want the discount, but my CTMH demo is one of my closest friends and I do parties for her all the time.

I also think it depends on what kind of demo you are. What is your style? How creative are you? What do your friends say are your strengths? Answers to all of these questions will help you to make the best decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I can talk to all of these companies. Demo'ing: CM's quarterly is 500.00 retail, CTMH and SU are 300.00 retail. CMs products are very basic, but very high quality. You don't have to be "sticker crazy" to use CM products and in fact SU and CTMH also have stickers. Stickers when used artfully look great on a layout.

What I like about SU, love the colors of the inks/papers, I love the stamp designs, most of them anyway. CTMH, love those clear stamps, love them. I really love some of their designs, I love the scrapbooking kits, they are really nice. I don't love the colors as much as SU. What I love about CM, they have some very nice stickers, the albums are awesome, as are CTMH, I use both CM and CTMH albums, the tools are out of this world. CM just knows how to make a great tool.

If I were going to demo now, I would choose CTMH because of the ability to be a junior consultant. I would love for SU to do that then I would sign up in a minute. Both CMs home office and CTMHs home office stink, don't know anything about SUs home office.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

One more thing I would like to add. There is NO CM look. Each scrapper creates the look irregardless of which album or tools they are using. I have done some very shabby chic layouts in a CM album and some very classic, simple pages in my CTMH album.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Well I am a SU demo that uses CM 12x12 scrapbooks....Personally I love the CM scrapbooks after having 2 postbound (not SU or CTMH ones) scrapbooks break on me...(I'll be buying SU ones to replace them....waiting until Sellabration time)

I think now a days there are so many different companies out there involved in scrapbooking...

A question for you - are your CM customers also customers of your CTMH consultant...if you are thinking of switching and your customers have told you they really like the CTMH style that there is a big push...you would already have a nice little base....

I am an all purpose scrapbooker - I hardly buy any of the CM embellishements and such but I love their albums and their organizational and cutting tools...

to enable people even more I found a great little scrapbook company called Top Line Creations http://www.topline-creations.com/ that have some great kits...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use what I like. I started out using products from the LSS. Never went to a CM party.

When I joined SU! I didn't know a lot about their scrapbooking products. Their papers until just recently have been *okay*...in the last year they have improved a lot! I love the albums and the alphabets, the kits are great this year as well.

As far as CTMH goes...I was really impressed by the most recent catalog I saw yesterday. The kits were very cute, cool, put together looking with good design. Previously, I had not been that impressed because their stamps and kits were a little clunky looking, but flipping through it seemed like they had taken a giant leap forward.

I do find, though, that I have the most fun scrapbooking when I use stamps. I have the most control over the color, design and layout of my pages and I am at my most creative. But I still like easy kits to put together pages when I just want to get the pages done.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes