Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would it be worth a 3.5 hr. drive to CK weekend

crop just to shop at the vender booths for the day?

I've never been to one of these and have no idea what to expect, any suggestions will be appreciated. Of course ,there isn't a thing I NEED, but I thought it would be fun to see what else I might spend my money on. AC moore & Jo Anns has the same ol' stuff.

thanks,
b
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are asking about the one in Manchester, NH coming up next weekend - I went last year to shop for the day and really enjoyed seeing lots of goodies - even got some good buys (not that I need anything like you say!) I didn't do any of the classes or crops............now if you really want to SHOP and see great goodies - there is the stamp show every year in West Springfield, MA - that me and several friends actually stay overnight to attend - it is hosted by Heirloom Productions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 259 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd do it! We used to drive about that far to go to a convention in Missouri. Other than shopping, there are demos and make-and-takes so you'll be exposed to new ideas, there are tons of card samples for inspiration, new and exclusive products and sales, and a whole big room full of people who love to do what you love to do! It's fun. Wear comfy shoes!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I'd vote for the Heirloom Show like mentioned in Post #2.....lots of vendors, demos and make & takes from Friday evening, during the day Saturday and 1/2 day on Sunday. It's worth the trip which ever Heirloom Show you go to.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #5  

It's always fun to see lots of goodies and meet new people! It is heavy on scrapbooking (as opposed to card makers - imho) but it's still nice! Take some classes if you can, I think that's the real fun!

BTW, where in Maine are you? I'm "here" too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I have attended both classes and the shopping expo. I liked the shopping, thought the classes were too pricy for what we learned. I like to do that kind of thing though just to see what's new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I don't know how it is back east but here in the Portland, OR area the CK convention was way better than the Heirloom Show. The Heirloom Show was a lot of fun (I went last year) and had some good vendors but it was just really small compared to the CK convention.

If you can only go to one I would say the CKC is totally worth it. They have lots of vendor's and you can get some really good prices. There were also a lot of Make and Takes. The classes are fun. My absolute favorite thing though is the Friday and Saturday night crops. These are not to be missed IMHO. I had a great time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #8  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

i would definitely go I love ck conventions. I could just go walk the vendor floor all day, but I usually take classes too. I can't go this year even though it it is only 3 miles from my home. My kids have a play that weekend and I am stage manager.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=KalaKitty;18229183]I don't know how it is back east but here in the Portland, OR area the CK convention was way better than the Heirloom Show. The Heirloom Show was a lot of fun (I went last year) and had some good vendors but it was just really small compared to the CK convention.

Last year the CK one in Manchester was very small and they had other vendors besides stamping and scrapping - the Heirloom had 3 times the vendors...............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

I so enjoyed last year's CKC in Tulsa, OK!
Classes are a great addition ... and they're not always "all" about scrapping only ... many topics can apply to card-making with careful choices if you're interested.

The vendor fair was delightful! However, scrappers are the focus there for sure. It's different than an Heirloom show in that respect.

Dare to Get Dirty challenges are here! Come join in the fun! Not a Fan Club member? Click here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodnuffView Post
crop just to shop at the vender booths for the day?

I've never been to one of these and have no idea what to expect, any suggestions will be appreciated. Of course ,there isn't a thing I NEED, but I thought it would be fun to see what else I might spend my money on. AC moore & Jo Anns has the same ol' stuff.

thanks,
b
I drove three hours to attend one and yes I would say it was worth it. I took several classes but let me warn you they pack a lot in a class and you are crafting at warp speed!! My niece and I were laughing because we were power scrapping!!!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

This will be my third year at CK Valley Forge on the East Coast. I enjoy the classes and the shopping is a ton of fun. I go with a group of friends which makes it even more fun but this is local for me. We would still go even if we had to drive a couple of hours. As someone said above, this is heavy on the scrapbooking and I am primarily a card maker but I still manage to learn a couple new things in the classes or get some inspiration. I have made some awesome friends over the years and it's always fun to get together with others aho share your interest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all your replies, I guess I'll be going. I'll let you know how it goes.

B.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

CK came to Cincy for the first time last September. I only live 30 minutes from downtown, and I was not impressed. I took a total of 4 classes and only one was even close to worth the money. The other three used product that was VERY outdated or from paper companies that had long since been out of business.

Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer", but I was expecting classes using the latest and greatest, and everyone had hyped it up so much, that I was beyond disappointed. Don't think I will be attending this year. I will save my money for my on-line ordering!
I did do some shopping, but the classes were not even close to the calibur I was expecting.

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I would do it. I have attended three CK shows with friends. It is our annual girls weekend. We drive 6 hours, arrive on Thursday and leave on Saturday afternoon. This year we all did the Thursday crop and Friday night crop. I took 1 class. I did several make and takes. My favorite make and take was with Melissa Frances. I love her work and the look of vintage and have been intimidated by it, but no more. It was so much easier than it looked. I learn new things every year by just going to shop and seeing what they have. IMO, it would be well worth your time and the drive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I drove an hour to the one in Louisville Ky. I volunteered 4 hours. You get passes to the vendor fair free and money for the Ck bookstore I volunteered the last 2 years in the bookstore. I love it. I did not take any classes. You can also volunteer for a class. The vendor fair was not as nice as last year. Last year I found lots of new little items I had read about on here and could not find in stores nearby. This year not as many vendors and lots and lots of pre made scrapbook page layout. I make cards so that did not interst me. You can sign up to volunteer on the Ck page. Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes