Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #41  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Base shipping in the US is $3.95??? In Canada it is $9.99. That's a whole product for me.
Base shipping meaning lowest will be 3.95. Once your order goes over 39.50, it then becomes 10%.

Ally brings up a great point- one I have never considered.....I didn't even think about the gals who are international...

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Me & my husband love eBay. We own stock in it. It's not doing so well right now, which means it may be a good time to buy. He shops for cars and I shop for stamps. HA! I NEVER pay more than retail for anything, including shipping, and normally it's at least 25% off, sometimes more. I bought all the current color craft pads, refills and craft spots on eBay for $250 shipped - retail from SU! would be $600 for all that. Who doesn't like to have a great find like that. A friend of mine sold us a POS old convertible mustang for $500 and we sold it on the Bay for $4K. I got my new great Dyson vaccuum and a new computer after that. The rest went into another car.

I always do my own sniping as well - bidding the last minute, likely the last 20 seconds and keep refreshing. I've lose on some, but not very often. I only bid significantly before an auction ends if it ends in the middle of the night when I won't be there to bid.

CTMH wood stamps don't go very well on eBay, but their acrylic stamps go close to retail most of the time.

Vicki

Remember no time is ever wasted that makes people better friends...so we aren't all wasting our time here on SCS.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #43  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampingwithkids
In fact, she has admitted to adding on to my order so she can get freebies. In the 2 years I have been with her, I have received one mini catalog. When I mention it to her, she says it would cost her $5.00 to get one to me.
Sorry to hear this.....not quite how most demos do it, generally speaking.
The minis do cost us to send....but it IS NO WHERE near $5.00.
It is very generous of you to still order from her....any demo can have your order shipped directly to you so that you do not have to pick it up from them.

I usually deliver my customers items to them, making sure they are happy with what they got and we like to oogle the goodies together!!

(sorry for the slight hj!)

Old 07-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am an Ebay addict probably... I order stamps from Demo and from Ebay... I may pay alittle extra for ebay, but its so convenient to just pay and its mailed to me. Demo is very busy with family and it sometimes takes 3-4 months to get products... I HATE waiting... So I am willing to pay extra to have it soon!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stac
Demo is very busy with family and it sometimes takes 3-4 months to get products... I HATE waiting... So I am willing to pay extra to have it soon!!!
OMG! Sounds like she is too busy to be anything other than a hobby demo. I would be shopping on eBay too if that is her attitude.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #46  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stac
I am an Ebay addict probably... I order stamps from Demo and from Ebay... I may pay alittle extra for ebay, but its so convenient to just pay and its mailed to me. Demo is very busy with family and it sometimes takes 3-4 months to get products... I HATE waiting... So I am willing to pay extra to have it soon!!!
Huh? 3-4 months to get products? You need to find yourself a new demo if she takes that long. I place orders the day I get them...the only one I don't place right away is my mom. I always wait 2 days because she ALWAYS calls me within 24 hours wanting to add something else on. So it's for her benefit. I have customers that order from me long distance and I order it as soon as they make up their minds. For them, I do place the order before I receive funds because they have ordered from me a lot and I always rec. the money in a few days. It only takes a few minutes to enter the order into OEX, and then depending where you live, you should receive your order within 7 days average time. SU! says 10 business days. Depends if it's the end of the month/beginning of month, etc. on how your order is processed.

You can find a new demo if you aren't happy with yours by going here:
http://www2.stampinup.com/scoreweb/C...eng&country=US

They can always ship it to your door and if you order at least $150 you get benefits.

Vicki

Remember no time is ever wasted that makes people better friends...so we aren't all wasting our time here on SCS.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

It should NEVER take months! At the most if you are back east it should be there within 14 days of when the order was submitted. Find a new demo! There are plenty here or look at the SU website and put in your address and find some that are close to you. Interview them and find someone you will be happy with!

Julie Topham
SU Demo for 10 years!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Paypal for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvscrapmom
Paypal or Visa is the main reason I buy stamps on ebay. I also like the ordering online convenience of it. If Stampin up were to have online ordering like CTMH does, I am sure I would by more from demos than ebay
A strong reason for me to go to Ebay for things is that I can use Paypal. Through Paypal I can use my American Express card - it is all I use. (Plus we get points on the AmEx for purchases and can trade them in for Home Depot gift cards -- always need stuff from the depot.)

And it is the fun of getting a deal. I always consider the S&H into my bid, just like I'd consider it for any other online or catalog purchase.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lots of demos gladly take credit cards and Paypal. Use the demo locator on the SU website and find one! There are plenty of demos out there who would love to have your business and by calling around and talking to them, you can find one who is a good fit for you.

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. Victor Hugo

SeeMyGallery!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfnelson2
I bought all the current color craft pads, refills and craft spots on eBay for $250 shipped - retail from SU! would be $600 for all that. Who doesn't like to have a great find like that.
I'm confused. If you are a demo (you ARE in the dmeo forums) then why aren't you buying frmo yourself?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow!! My OP wasn't about why you buy on ebay, but why SU is so popular on ebay vs. other stamp companies!! I guess it is the quality.

I should have been clearer. But the answers have been interesting anyway!! Thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
Not one of your 5 demos take a credit card?
Not one!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

On ebay I usually pay around $4-4.50 for shipping and nothing for tax. Between the 10% SU shipping and the tax on a $80 order, I am paying $16 to get it. I can an equal amount on ebay for only $4.50 shipping and NO tax!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have now bought my 6th set from Ebay and for me it was all about getting these retired sets. I tried looking here first but usually by the time I scan to see if the stamps are available they are gone. I did recently do some purchases and a CDO from SCS. I am sure I paid more than the original prices but I can't get my hands on these by any other means...so ebay it is for me!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Wow!! My OP wasn't about why you buy on ebay, but why SU is so popular on ebay vs. other stamp companies!! I guess it is the quality.

I should have been clearer. But the answers have been interesting anyway!! Thanks.

I think it is because the stamps hold their value. It is similar to cars. Some are known to continue to hold value.

I think their is customer confidence also. JMHO

I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.

Harry S. Truman
Old 07-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
I'm confused. If you are a demo (you ARE in the dmeo forums) then why aren't you buying frmo yourself?
That is a $350 savings on the craft pad stuff. And I had wanted them for a while. I'm a hobby demo. I will never earn cruise and I haven't earned Great Rewards for a few years. I went to convention 2 years ago and I do go to the Regionals for fun when they are in my area. I moved from one state to another, lived in a hotel for 5 months, had a baby and haven't been interested in pursuing classes at this time. I still get orders from a few customers and will be a demo for as long as I make my minimums. It's my money and $350 is a HUGE savings and that big of a savings isn't worth the credit and override I would get on it. I like to make my money go as far as I can stretch it.

Don't you think a $350 savings would be worth it to not buy from yourself?

Vicki

Old 07-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #57  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
On ebay I usually pay around $4-4.50 for shipping and nothing for tax. Between the 10% SU shipping and the tax on a $80 order, I am paying $16 to get it. I can an equal amount on ebay for only $4.50 shipping and NO tax!
IF you can get all of it from the same seller AND they are willing to combine.... even then most sellers charge full price on one set and half the shipping on everything else.... so I don't think you're making out any better, but that's JMO....
Old 07-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfnelson2
Don't you think a $350 savings would be worth it to not buy from yourself?
For me? No. I buy from myself to stay active and earn overrides, earn consis. counts, etc. But from your standpoint, it makes sense. I was just curious.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

To answer the OP - I am amazed also at how popular Stampin' UP! images are across the line and I love it, because when I get tired of a set, I can get about the same value back from it. SU! has been around for going on 16 years? now. CTMH isn't far behind, but since there was only one designer for a long time, I'm sure that turned a lot of people away from CTMH because there wasn't a good variety (at least it did me, I can't speak for everyone), but I think they are having a come back with their acrylic stamps. TAC is newer and is just getting their name out there and becoming more popular, so maybe in a few years these other two catalog companies will be as popular as SU! It will be interesting to see. I love it all.

Vicki

Old 07-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #60  
Gallery Gazer

Joan, I think the concept of stamp sets, which in my experience seem to be less common than singles on the retail market, may grab folks' attention on eBay, and I would bet more folks cruise the bay than the SU website. those two would be biggies in my books. there are also the folks who have had wretched experiences with a demo, or no luck finding one that's suitable close by, but that would be much less influential than the plain opportunity eBay provides.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

OMG.... typo my demo doesn't get stuff to me for 3 - 4 WEEKS I am so sorry I typed months..... Ebay I get it in a couple of days and I hate waiting weeks. Not sure why it takes so long, maybe the show's are not getting sent in right away.... I Love my demo, don't get me wrong!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:22 PM   #62  
clean and krafty

So....those of you who do buy current stuff off of ebay, why not just have a demo order it for you, and have it shipped to your house?
Just curious how it's any different......
There are plenty of demos who will just accept orders without any push for anything more.

I would bet that any number of hobby demos (or business focused as well for that matter) would be willing to order and have it shipped straight to your home, all within the same amount of time as the bay I would imagine.....

Old 07-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #63  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

I think the reason Stampin UP Sets are so popular on Ebay, vs the other companys out there:

1) They are in sets, in containers, collectable-like. Color families are a big draw to the company.

2) You can really clean them up, and they look like new, except maybe for mild staining on the wood. Otherwise, there is no wear or anything major to make them unusable or unsightly.

3)The Clear Stamps, while very popular, I am told with use and age, they do yellow. I don't have any, but there is an aging process, that will date them over time. With Stampin UP, the set could be a month old or 10 years old, and they be pretty much in the same shape, LIKE NEW.

4)In general, the folks who purchase Stampin Up, are the kind of people that name their cars, and feel bad when they have to purge.
They even like a well used/loved set. Knowing it has been enjoyed by someone, and they want their own used stamps to go to "loving homes". They generally have many sets, and just want fresh stuff, to work with.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #64  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Honestly, I buy from Ebay because I do get great deals. I bought the Hodgepodge, shipping and all, for $20.00. I usually grab my Caty when I am looking on Ebay. And no, my demo does not offer any free incentives for buying from her. In fact, she has admitted to adding on to my order so she can get freebies. In the 2 years I have been with her, I have received one mini catalog. When I mention it to her, she says it would cost her $5.00 to get one to me. I still order from her because I care about her as a friend and like that she is only 5 minutes away so I can just drive over when my stuff arrives, but other than that, I have gotten better deals on E-bay. You just have to decide when you see a set, retired or not, how much you are willing to spend and stick to your guns.
Shame on your demonstrator! It costs us about $4-5 for EIGHT Mini Catalogs if we buy them as a supply item. We can also have SU mail our customer one directly for .75 cents each. I sent out 232 Mini Catalogs via the direct from SU method last week (for the Holiday Mini which customers will begin receiving after 8/15) and though I earned more than half of those free due to my sales, I still paid $100 out of pocket for the rest of them. Why? Because that's my store and every single one of my customer should have one the moment it's available! I get crazed when I hear customers like you say their demonstrator is not doing her job or can't give away one lousy Mini Catalog. If that's one reason you go to eBay to buy new, then part of the problem is internal to SU with lazy demonstrators.

SU demonstrators often go nuts about demonstrators who violate our rules and sell on eBay. I now think we should also look inside and realize that our colleagues are setting up their customers to go to eBay when their customer service is subpar. Thanks for making this point so straightforwardly!

www.StellarStamps.com

Old 07-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #65  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

In fact, she has admitted to adding on to my order so she can get freebies. In the 2 years I have been with her, I have received one mini catalog. When I mention it to her, she says it would cost her $5.00 to get one to me. I still order from her because I care about her as a friend and like that she is only 5 minutes away so I can just drive over when my stuff arrives, but other than that, I have gotten better deals on E-bay.

Is this really true? I've realized for a while now that mini catalogs cost, but I had no idea how much they cost. Wouldn't $5.00 make it just as expensive as the big catalog for the demo to buy? How do the minis work anyway?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #66  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
....Actually we are in the General Stamping Talk forum. Sometimes when I cruise around, I forget where I am too.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy05
....Actually we are in the General Stamping Talk forum. Sometimes when I cruise around, I forget where I am too.
No -- I knew that. I meant that she posts in the demo-only forums, too.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
Is this really true? I've realized for a while now that mini catalogs cost, but I had no idea how much they cost. Wouldn't $5.00 make it just as expensive as the big catalog for the demo to buy? How do the minis work anyway?
No. They are not that expensive. I can't recall how much they cost per person, but it's something like 75 cents each. And high-volume demos get freebies, too, based on their sales. We are able to go in and select who we want them sent to, and then SU! sends them out for us. Or we can purchase them in packs and hand them out at workshops or whatever. Every demo deals with minis the way they want to, there are no hard-fast rules. HTH!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #69  
Crimping Master

I think some of the reason's people "have" to buy on Ebay to get their items. I am from Kansas and while I don't live out in the country with the farms and the nearest town or neighbor might be 1/2 hour away. Can you imagine trying to have a party when you are in the middle of 200 acres of farmland, I don't think it would work, LOL!! Most of the farmer's wife's love doing the stamping they just don't have the resource's except through Ebay.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #70  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Stamper
Shame on your demonstrator! It costs us about $4-5 for EIGHT Mini Catalogs if we buy them as a supply item. We can also have SU mail our customer one directly for .75 cents each. I sent out 232 Mini Catalogs via the direct from SU method last week (for the Holiday Mini which customers will begin receiving after 8/15) and though I earned more than half of those free due to my sales, I still paid $100 out of pocket for the rest of them. Why? Because that's my store and every single one of my customer should have one the moment it's available! I get crazed when I hear customers like you say their demonstrator is not doing her job or can't give away one lousy Mini Catalog. If that's one reason you go to eBay to buy new, then part of the problem is internal to SU with lazy demonstrators.

SU demonstrators often go nuts about demonstrators who violate our rules and sell on eBay. I now think we should also look inside and realize that our colleagues are setting up their customers to go to eBay when their customer service is subpar. Thanks for making this point so straightforwardly!
The only thing I could figure was she didn't have anyone else to give the catalogs too? I don't know, but essentially she was going to charge me for the catalogs. I really wish she ran her business like yours. I actually know for a fact, that the reason she doesn't have everything shipped to each person directly is that she puts everyone's orders in at once and has a party under her name. So as I said, great friend, not a great demo.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #71  
Matboard Maniac

One reason I buy SU stamps on ebay is because many of them have already been mounted on the wood. I have trouble with my hands, and so finding them already cut and mounted is a real benefit for me.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:16 AM   #72  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

The only thing I could figure was she didn't have anyone else to give the catalogs too? I don't know, but essentially she was going to charge me for the catalogs.
Yeah, my demo has been doing the 10 for 10 club for 2 years now. Each year we've received the catalog free, since one of the months we were going to be the hostess. This year, she wanted her 10 for 10 members to pay $3 for their catalog and to be in the 10 for 10! Now how is that right? I thought ALL hostesses were to receive the catty for free.... From what I've read here, we're pretty much buying the catties for her.... And I know $3 is less than the full price of $10, but when you have to pay $3 to spend $15 a month.... I just ordered my catty outright and told her I wasn't interested this year - that made DH happy

Suzanne
Old 07-28-2006, 05:29 AM   #73  
Stampin' Fool

I am wondering if there is any advertising that the company foots so the demos don't have to take all that out of their 20%? I have never worked for any retail company that made me pay for their catalogs and then made me give those catalogs away or charge the customer down the line. Seems like this should be the company expense. I am speaking particularly of the mini-catalogs at this point. My friend sells several products and the "flyers" or "supplements" are all free to her to give to her customers.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:03 AM   #74  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by canben
Yeah, my demo has been doing the 10 for 10 club for 2 years now. Each year we've received the catalog free, since one of the months we were going to be the hostess. This year, she wanted her 10 for 10 members to pay $3 for their catalog and to be in the 10 for 10! Now how is that right? I thought ALL hostesses were to receive the catty for free.... From what I've read here, we're pretty much buying the catties for her.... And I know $3 is less than the full price of $10, but when you have to pay $3 to spend $15 a month.... I just ordered my catty outright and told her I wasn't interested this year - that made DH happy

Suzanne
You know, I don't mind paying for the big caty, and if the mini was only a $1.00 I wouldn't even mind paying that, as long as I knew I was going to get one every time. As I see it, Demos are not actual employees of SU but contractors, which means they need to buy their own supplies so at the end of the year they can write it off on their taxes. That is why SU doesn't count these supplies that they buy towards their minimum. My problem is this, it seems as if there are quite a few demos that are not very business Savy and do not know how to promote themselves or SU very well. I really believe that what SU needs to do is come up with better ways of training the new Demos as well as maybe come up with a different sector for the Hobby demos, maybe cut their minimum down so that they can simply be hobbiests so they don't have to worry about finding people to buy from them, and the ones that are in it for the real business could have a different minimum and profit and would provide a better service towards the customer. I hope this makes sense. It would be a win win for everyone.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:05 AM   #75  
Stampin' Fool

It seems to me, but I might be wrong, that people buy more from those few mini pages due to the limited time you can get those items than they do from the big catty. Anyway in the clubs I belong to the mini's are the hottest choices for monthly purchases. Seems like hostesses would really want to make sure every person had one in hand!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #76  
Stampin' Fool

Sorry, I did not mean hostesses, I meant demos.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:18 AM   #77  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I usually send a mini out to everyone who has purchased from me in the last 6 months plus anyone who has hosted a workshop in the last year. This covers my stamp club members and any customers who attended workshops recently. Faithful customers always get one that way and those who only attend one workshop and never buy again will eventually drop off my mini mailing list.

For those that are on my email mailing list, I inform them when the mini comes out. If they've bought in the last 6 months or hosted in the last year, they know they will get one, otherwise I tell them that they can call or email me to have one sent to them or they can view it online.

Seems to cover all the bases without putting me out too much in advertising. I used to send to all the people who had ever bought from me, but let's face it...some folks attend workshops for many different demos and if they've just happened to pop into one of mine, they will end up with the current mini from there and the next one mailed to them. After that, if they don't buy again, I figure they've moved on.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 07-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #78  
Die Cut Diva

I've picked up lots of non SU stamps on the *bay fairly reasonable. I've purchased TAC on there as well. My guess is that SU has a lot of stamp sets in circulation and many get discontinued. They continually entice us with new stamp sets and people have a tendency to buy/sell/trade in order to purchase the new offerings. People are "set" oriented too. I love to buy the used/retired SU sets on *bay.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #79  
Stampin' Fool

I think ebay is one of the ways we reduce throwing things away. It is like recycling things you don't want. This reduces the need to over manufacture. Think of it as doing the environment a favor! Helps the economy too!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #80  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by basurok
I've picked up lots of non SU stamps on the *bay fairly reasonable. I've purchased TAC on there as well. My guess is that SU has a lot of stamp sets in circulation and many get discontinued. They continually entice us with new stamp sets and people have a tendency to buy/sell/trade in order to purchase the new offerings. People are "set" oriented too. I love to buy the used/retired SU sets on *bay.
I agree with this. Plus sometimes people want the old retired sets because the new "replacement" isn't quite what they wanted...