Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Why does my multi-pack SU paper come this way? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/why-does-my-multi-pack-su-paper-come-way-44060/)

justjulier 04-18-2005 04:56 PM

Why does my multi-pack SU paper come this way?

I pretty exclusively purchase SU's paper in the multi-pack color family sets.

In advance, I should tell you, I'm incredibly anal retentive...

With that said,

Can anyone please tell me why the paper in the multi packs never comes in the same order or why sometimes it is collated and sometimes its not?

I suppose could call SU and ask them but I'm sure they'll just send the men in the white coats, lol.

For example, I ordered 3 packages of Bold Brights multi-pack. Each package was not collated (by collated I mean sorted together by color... orange, orange, orange, purple, purple, purple instead of orange, purple, orange, purple). In addition, each package was in a different order so in order to collate them manually I have to lay all 12 colors out on my dining room table.

I know I'm crazy... that's a given... but perhaps I'd feel better if anyone else can tell me why this happens, if you happen to know or confirm for me that you've seen something similar.

thanking you all in advance.

pblair38 04-18-2005 05:04 PM

I've noticed that too! My best guess is (and this is totally a guess) is that they have a machine that collates the paper automatically, and sometimes the paper gets put into different slots, hence the different order. Usually, mine is always mostly collated, but there will be one or two or three colors that are not, and I'm guessing that when they made that package, those slots were empty and they had to manually put the 3 sheets of each color on top. ???

But really, I dunno!

Penny

moprica 04-19-2005 02:24 AM

Drives me crazy too, you're not the only one!

Kar 04-19-2005 02:34 AM

Happens here too, but lately I have been getting them by the color so I don't have that problem anymore ;)

imastampin 04-19-2005 02:42 AM

AND you need to count the number of sheets of each color. I have been shorted before.

PS - It drives me crazy too. You are not alone.

justjulier 04-19-2005 03:40 AM

Oh wow, good point. I never thought to count them. I'll have to add that to my receiving process.

I'm becoming my own little paper receiving company.

robynstamps 04-19-2005 03:45 AM

They manually put the assorted cardstock packs together. I have seen it done when I visited the Kanab facility on a Stampin' Up! trip. We asked the same question and they said that each person has their own way of putting them together. Some do them 3 at a time and some prefer to pick one of each color. They are super fast at it and have a great percentage of efficiency. If you find you are shorted you need to let your demonstrator know or call Stampin' Up! if you're a demonstrator. They will take care of the problem.

sassyat30 04-19-2005 04:15 AM

Julie...don'T feel bad, this also drives me crazy!!! Are you a Virgo?? ;) Sometimes my packs have been three colors together or separate...very annoying when I'm trying to sort my paper!! But, as I tell myself every time "Sara, if this is your biggest problem today, then you've had a pretty good day!!"

Sara

Kymbers_Stampin 04-19-2005 04:35 AM

Mine have never been "collated" as you describe. I guess since I "collate" reports all the time, I consider mine collated since with the copier that means in order of how they go ~ you get 12 sheets of paper, they are arranged in order of the 12 sheets. The other way would be considered UNcolated and would be odd since I'm sure the machine puts the paper in order. But since I've worked in a packaging plant and as a secretary doing tons of reports, I never thought this to be odd.

robynstamps 04-19-2005 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
Mine have never been "collated" as you describe. I guess since I "collate" reports all the time, I consider mine collated since with the copier that means in order of how they go ~ you get 12 sheets of paper, they are arranged in order of the 12 sheets. The other way would be considered UNcolated and would be odd since I'm sure the machine puts the paper in order. But since I've worked in a packaging plant and as a secretary doing tons of reports, I never thought this to be odd.

It's not machines but actual people that put the assorted packs together. They all just choose different ways to do it.

MsAudreyAnn 04-19-2005 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjulier
I know I'm crazy... that's a given....

If you're crazy, so am I.....so, you're NOT alone!!......LOL :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

smoosh28 04-19-2005 04:44 AM

Glad to see that I am not the only one this bothers !

stampin_chiquie 04-19-2005 04:49 AM

I thought when I visited the distribution center in 2003 that we were told that it used to be done by hand but was now being done by machine. This is why it used to always be stacked with all the colors together but is now mostly stacked 3 sections of all the colors.

Do you find that when it is in 3 sections of all the colors that it is shrink wrapped? And when it comes with the colors lumped together it is in the old bags?

robynstamps 04-19-2005 04:57 AM

Hi Heidi,

The assorted packs are not done at the distribution center but at the Kanab facility and I visited there in September with Stampin' Up!'s Founder's Circle. They are still doing that part by hand. I think they are doing the solid packs by machine and that might be done at the DC. I hope this is helpful.

miss missy 04-19-2005 05:09 AM

I have wondered about this too but more of a curiosity...the thing I don't understand is why sometimes the paper is in baggies and sometimes it is shrink wrapped. I prefer it to be in the baggies but I guess the shrink wrap is the new way?? Oh well

mamakimberly 04-19-2005 05:28 AM

interesting! very interesting! I like it when it is 3 of one color, 3 of the next, etc.... but I can see how grabbing one of each could be faster (no counting!)

what an ICK job to do that by hand!

JJBrooks 04-19-2005 05:34 AM

YUCK! I would hate to be the one to have to pick that by hand! Can you imagine just looking at Card Stock all day!!!

Back to the question. I also prefer it 3 of one color and etc......

tickley_toes 04-19-2005 06:17 AM

I've noticed that too!

janell 04-19-2005 07:24 AM

drives me crazy too, lol.

I've gotten packs that were half and half before. I'm a little AR too, so I have to "fix" it as soon as I pull it out of the box.

msdetloff 04-19-2005 07:29 AM

ummm...by hand?? ICK!! I would hate to have that job! I have often wondered abou this as well....now I won't grumble anymore when I get packs that I have sort through, I use to package at a factory and I understand the boredom that comes with having to pack things ALL day long.

Mindy

gwtwdebbi 04-19-2005 07:47 AM

I agree that pulling the card stock by hand would be an eye-popping crazy job! But I would like to suggest that Stampin Up! kindly ask their "pullers" to PLEASE put the colors together! I don't like to lay out all my card stock just to collate it...Great idea about counting too! Never thought about that one!

So, PLEASE, STAMPIN UP! collate our card stock!

liriel 04-19-2005 08:54 AM

I have gotten extra sheets on occasion. I have also gotten more sheets of one color and less sheets of another color (ie. 4 sheets of brilliant blue, 2 sheets of tempting turquoise. I figure no one is perfect, just as long as I don't get less than 36 sheets its ok with me.

charming 04-19-2005 09:30 AM

I too, am a VIRGO
I pretty much just get color families...(plus real red, passion pink, creamy caramel, old olive, cameo coral, cocoa, chocolate chip and those neutrals ! )you never can tell what kind of card you'll be inspired to make even if THAT color is not your style
In the family packs I usually get 3 sheets of 4 colors ... THEN after comes 1 sheet of each of the rest, 3 times -weird !
so I too, lay 'em ALL out and count, and alphabetize
oh, well

on the topic of shortages:
I have been shorted paper too
I was shorted a stampin' spot and had 2 of USELESS gable green!
(demo supp't said they'd make it right but I decided to order again and use the extras for host gifts with stamps and tags.)
I was shorted cello bags ( I bought $100 worth at once ! ) but also had more than 50 in some, so it evened out, almost!
(demo support says that that is why it says 'cello bags APROX. 50' ! but I can't send in only 'APROX. the whole DH's PAYCHEQUE' ! LOL)
I'm sure there were more but I'm blinded by love for SU!