Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Why does this happen? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/why-does-happen-361226/)

cmaibauer 07-05-2008 05:08 AM

Why does this happen?

1 Attachment(s)
I have been trying to stamp some images using PTI and SU ink spots and no matter what I do the images come out blotchy. :confused: What am I doing wrong? I am using clear stamps made by Studio G and PTI. Any advise is appreciated.

SherryLC05 07-05-2008 05:14 AM

Try "seasoning" the stamps by rubbing them with an eraser. That should help the ink go on evenly.

LateBlossom 07-05-2008 05:42 AM

In addition to seasoning, place a mouse pad under your paper. Also, hold the stamp down on the paper for longer than usual. That helps transfer the ink better.

cambystamper 07-05-2008 05:51 AM

Someone on SCS also recommended to stamp into versamark then into your other pad for a crisper image. I also was having a problem with clear stamps. This has given me a much better image.

ndeelou 07-05-2008 06:26 AM

Also, I notice you are in MA, With the recent humidity, your paper could have soaked up humidity too and will just be hateful until the weather breaks. Some people have had luck putting it in the oven to dry it out, but I won't recommend that...

good luck!

Betsy

cpw3431 07-05-2008 06:29 AM

Don't really think the humidity will effect it. It is humid here all the time and it is not a problem!

stampininthesun 07-05-2008 07:16 AM

I had the same exact problem when I first started using clear stamps. (seasoning did not help me)
I switched to Palette inks when I use my clear stamps and they stamp beautifully now.

prchvs 07-05-2008 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes it's the paper you're using as well. The pic I've attached shows a comparison of cheap Walmart CS (on the left) vs SU's Whisper White. There are other similar quality papers to SU's that I've heard of but not tried (PTI's Neenah White, Stamper's Select CS are two that I can think of). It really makes a difference!

Judyw 07-05-2008 09:00 AM

I hate srudio G stamps for this very reason. they are only a dollar, but I have a heck of a time using them. i did buy all the monthy stamps though, and I have to laugh, because I was using the pumpkin last night, too, and could not get a clear image no matte how much I "seasoned" and tried.

I think there is something to using quality paper and having some cushion underneath the paper.

kluvsj711 07-05-2008 09:29 AM

Thanks Renee for doing the cardstock comparison. I've always wondered if there really was a difference or not. Your samples are excellent!

mom2kaynky 07-05-2008 09:56 AM

I 'seasoned' the Studio g stamps with very fine sandpaper. I figured they were only $1 if I messed them up, but I didn't and it has made all the difference.

Good Luck!

stampin_in_atlas 07-05-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judyw (Post 10421027)
I hate srudio G stamps for this very reason. they are only a dollar, but I have a heck of a time using them. i did buy all the monthy stamps though, and I have to laugh, because I was using the pumpkin last night, too, and could not get a clear image no matte how much I "seasoned" and tried.

I think there is something to using quality paper and having some cushion underneath the paper.

I too have a problem with Studio G stamps...i guess you get what you pay for though, right? I haven't tried seasoning them yet...i'll give that a shot.

stINKer 07-05-2008 10:09 AM

i rub them on the palm of may hand first. ive had trouble in the past too, especially if a stamp is brandy new. i was told once that the oils fom your skin will help and i find it does.

NwP 07-05-2008 10:10 AM

I've heard about using sandpaper on stamps, too. It always scared me, but I think I need to try it, since I've only heard of people having positive results from it.

I wondered, too, about the different papers. This is such an informative thread! :)

armadillo 07-05-2008 10:56 AM

Since it's a pumpkin, maybe it'd supposed to look like that. There are some stamps that are like that.

jpmayo 07-05-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaibauer (Post 10419101)
I have been trying to stamp some images using PTI and SU ink spots and no matter what I do the images come out blotchy. :confused: What am I doing wrong? I am using clear stamps made by Studio G and PTI. Any advise is appreciated.

I have never had a solid image stamp well on the PTI cardstock, only outline stamps for coloring work well for me on that paper but I do love it for watercoloring or Copic coloring.

For anything else I use Whisper White or Shimmery White...mostly Shimmery White.

MichelleSG 07-05-2008 12:13 PM

It's not just the paper, it's the ink you use too. I think that the Studio G stamps work best with pigment ink or chalk (like Cat's eye) ink. They don't work so well with SU ink. Consequently pigment ink doesn't always work so well with some papers so you have to experiment.

scrubbybubbles 07-05-2008 12:20 PM

I just followed the advice from one of the posts I read where if you stamp off a few times on scratch paper, it helps "season" the stamp. I've found that using an eraser on it doesn't make much difference. In addition, I started using a mousepad under my images and they started stamping more evenly and effectively. :)

cmaibauer 07-05-2008 05:14 PM

Ok, so I tried following some of the advice here and this is what I did. I tried lightly sanding the pumpkin but the image remained spotty. Then I remembered I used Chalk Ink on previous images with no problems. The problem is that I purchased SU ink and don't have any chalk ink in orange. So I stamped the pumpkin with my Brilliance Black ink and left the stamp dirty. I did this a few times. Then when I used the SU ink the image stamped out a little better. Guess I will be sticking to Chalk inks since I prefer clear stamps.

wendalyn 07-05-2008 06:44 PM

White eraser - I have good luck but all i use mostly is versafine or hybrid pads

Jaspere 07-07-2008 07:50 AM

In addition to the other things that everyone has said I have noticed that it depends on the type of surface you are stamping on. I have a plastic fold out table and have found it difficult to get crisp images when using acrylic stamps-too much give maybe? Anyway you may want to try to use a solid table or hard floor. I was close to throwing my acrylic stamps in the garbage until I made this change.

geogymnast82 07-07-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaibauer (Post 10419101)

It's not only clear stamps that cause this effect. You can get the same blotchy look with SU's solid image stamps as well. I have some SU solid image stamps where I've used the eraser technique, rubbed them on my jeans, etc. to "season" them, and they still end up with a blotchy image when I use SU ink.

beadfreak22 07-09-2008 04:46 AM

I use my sanding block (lightly) on my clear stamps and I find it makes an enormous difference. Stamping on a mousepad also helps. Generally speaking, I prefer rubber, wood-mounted stamps for a clean, crisp image. Unfortunately, I love many of the newer, clear stamp designs.

Jenmouer 07-09-2008 05:46 AM

paper - paper makes a WORLD of difference - as Renee showed in her sample...there is a big reason why some paper is more expensive than others.

When I am stamping large solid images I only use SU Whisper White (haven't tried PTI or any other brand...why switch when something is working for ya') -when I do outline stamps or use white for matting that is when I use my less expensive per sheet white cardstock (becketts)

FloralElegance 07-09-2008 05:50 AM

Thanks a bunch - I am new to this forum and found this thread to be so helpful!
Thanks for sharing your tips!

deedah 07-09-2008 05:53 AM

it also depends on the ink....sometimes dye inks will "pill" up and the immage will be blottchy...try pigment ink

deedah 07-09-2008 05:54 AM

also...textured cardstock doesn't stamp well and having a pad underneath helps

Tavias Charms 07-09-2008 06:15 AM

i found that if i pressed down too hard the image was blurry.

StampingJulie 07-09-2008 06:20 AM

I use a piece of the kids craft fun foam under my stamps when I use them. It seems to work good. I love using the acrylic stamps since I can see what I am doing.

Julie

sprtchick 07-09-2008 09:12 AM

I have lots and lots of the Studio G clear stamps and I use them all the time...I love them. I use only Pallette Ink with the clear ones and I use both the GP (walmart) cardstock and the SU WW. I sometimes use an old mouse pad under the paper but normally get pretty good/acceptable results. I like the $1.00 stamps.
Blessings.

TheGeneralsWife 07-09-2008 09:17 AM

My Walmart just redid all of its scrapbook stuff and when I was there on Monday i saw some ink from Autumn Leaves and it said that it was specificly made for clear stamps so as not to get the pill-ing look. It was only $2.00 so I bought it and you know even on my studio G stamps i got pretty good results. I have to go back now and see if it comes in any other colors.

mbroughton662 07-09-2008 09:47 AM

Use Stays On Cleaner

If you clean the stamp with Stays On Ink cleaner before you use it - it will take the manufacturing "film" off the stamp and it will hold the ink much better - the difference since I started doing this is AMAZING! Now I don't use the acrylic - but it works wonders on the rubber stamps!

ShonaRae 07-09-2008 09:59 AM

I love these little dollar stamps too! I have found that for some reason I want to squish these into the paper more than I do my other stamps - but if I can remember to do just a quick light stamp I get a much better image. This is in addition to rubbing the eraser across it before using it.

LeAnne Pugliese 07-09-2008 12:27 PM

I have found Studio G stamps not to work with SU inks, but with my chalk inks they work okay. Haven't tried the sandpaper yet, maybe that will help!

speedsk8ter 07-09-2008 03:03 PM

Chalk ink as a "seasoner"

On the Onyxx Xpressions stamps website, they had instructions on "seasoning" their rubber stamps by inking them with any kind of chalk ink, stamping a few times, then cleaning them. I have not tried it yet, but maybe it would help with the clear stamps too?

BrownEyedLine 07-14-2008 08:49 AM

I have has success with using solvent inks (like stazon) and pigment inks (SU Craft) on clear stamps. I think the material that the clear stamps is made of repells the water based inks giving it that splotchy look.

Everyone has something that works for them you just need to find what works for you.