Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do YOU stamp/scrap?

My DH and I were having a conversation a couple of nights ago about why I stamp/scrap. I was making a few late birthday cards for some girlfriends of mine and he commented on the amount of time it took and also the condition of the room when I finished (looked like an SU product bomb had gone off!) I think he sees the benefit of my scrapbooking because I'm making lasting memories of our lives as a couple and as parents, so that's not really the issue. It's the amount of time I spend on cards that most likely end up being thrown away that puzzles him, I think. For example, I made over 50 Christmas cards this past year and I know that only a few people will treasure and keep them.

For me, it's relaxing and a huge stress relief. I love all aspects about it (even cutting what seems like 10,000 piecings, lol). I guess it's a labor of love. It's enough for me to know that the person receiving it will know that I thought of them and tailored the card especially to their tastes (i.e. colors, stamp styles, etc.) I don't think about what happens to the card once it leaves my hand, other than hoping it brings a smile to the recipients face.

How about you all? What are your reasons for spending your time and money stamping and scrapping?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I find it a relaxing hobby, firstly. Secondly, my family is creative: my DH is a woodworker in his spare time, and I do a lot of other crafts, all of them creative in nature (cooking, knitting, etc.), plus my two DDs knit, stamp, write, and draw.

For me, the joy of it is seeing a creation that I made. I don't really care what the person I send it to does with it; the joy comes in the creativity of making it in the first place.

HEATHER
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

My SU! time is my time. I need my time! I am a SAHM and I need an outlet. I enjoy both card making an scrapbooking. It gives me a way to meet new people something I am not good at without an activity to bond over. It gives me a area I can reach out to people with similar interests (ie, This) so I don't feel isolated. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment everytime I complete something. I allows me to leave a leagacy for my family and create gifts for people I care about and it even occasionally earns me income. I think my main reason is that I just love it. I need to create something and feel that what I've done has value.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

it's relaxing and a fun and creative outlet for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

It's relaxing and fun.When I finish a card or a scrapbook page it's nice to look at it know I made it!
Also I love my scrapbooks and knowing that one day that's all my children will have of me when I'm gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

It keeps me sane! I am a SAHM and it is litterally the only thing that is just mine.... And with a 2 yr old mine is a very popular word around here!

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

It is relaxing and a stress reliever. I determine all aspects and no one directs me. It is the one thing in my house that I do alone. My DH and 2 DS's leave my stuff alone. It's the me in ahouse full of men.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I stamp create because I enjoy it!

I have always done so sort of crafting but paper crafting is what I enjoy the Most.

Since I am a Stay at home wife I find there are times that I need to do something other than clean the house and cook.

Creating brings me joy...It relaxes me. It's FUN.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_cat
It keeps me sane! I am a SAHM and it is litterally the only thing that is just mine.... And with a 2 yr old mine is a very popular word around here!
I too am a SAHM and I SO agree with the sentiment that stamping and scrapping is the one thing that is totally mine. I've always thought that stampers/scrappers are a totally unique type of people and I see proof of that in everyone's responses. No one around me (except my SIL in Arkansas) has any interest in sharing my hobby, so it's nice to come here and find support and inspiration

Thanks for your replies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ummmmmmmm.......

Why stamp?........

............. I dunno... WHY NOT?
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

My job and really my general personality is very analytical. I stamp because it's a chance to use the other side of my brain and be creative. As an adult - it's also the closest thing to imagination I experience.

I'm not a naturally creative person, so stamping is also a challenge to me. It's a creative challenge, which is a different sort of challenge than I experience in most other facets of my life. For this reason, I wouldn't call it a stress reliever, but it is a calming activity. If that makes any sense. I guess it's calming because stamping/scrapping/crafting doesn't have a deadline or specific requirements that need to be met. You just kinda do, which is very existentialist and freeing.

Also, it gives me joy and a sense of accomplishment. It really is great to step back from a completed creation and know, "I did that." And even better, when you feel that it's a great piece of art.

And yes, for cards, people will throw them away. But really it's about taking the time to MAKE a card for the person. It's just a little special touch to the sentiment of sending a card in the first place. And providing that special feeling for my loved ones and dear friends is a joy to me.

So that is why I do this hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I stamp because I can't draw. Stamping is an easy way to be artistic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtofLove
My job and really my general personality is very analytical. I stamp because it's a chance to use the other side of my brain and be creative. As an adult - it's also the closest thing to imagination I experience.

I'm not a naturally creative person, so stamping is also a challenge to me. It's a creative challenge, which is a different sort of challenge than I experience in most other facets of my life. For this reason, I wouldn't call it a stress reliever, but it is a calming activity. If that makes any sense. I guess it's calming because stamping/scrapping/crafting doesn't have a deadline or specific requirements that need to be met. You just kinda do, which is very existentialist and freeing.
I have to laugh because in my BC life (Before Children), I was a Microbiologist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

My doctor told me that I needed to get a hobby to relax and that it couldn't be music because that is my full-time job. lol! That was four years ago...in retrospect I was wayyyyy to uptight and stressed out. When I literally fell into stamping I was concerned that it wouldn't be good for me as I am a perfectionist, which is what was driving me crazy about music. Perhaps, the fact that my stamping couldn't be perfect every time and I didn't have people constantly being critical of my performance helped me to chill out. Obviously, his cure worked! Wow! Thanks for the thread....it really made me look back at how far I have come!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

My doctor told me that I needed to get a hobby to relax and that it couldn't be music because that is my full-time job. lol! That was four years ago...in retrospect I was wayyyyy to uptight and stressed out. When I literally fell into stamping I was concerned that it wouldn't be good for me as I am a perfectionist, which is what was driving me crazy about music. Perhaps, the fact that my stamping couldn't be perfect every time and I didn't have people constantly being critical of my performance helped me to chill out. Obviously, his cure worked! Wow! Thanks for the thread....it really made me look back at how far I have come!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I scrapbook and stamp because I like to have something that is just about me, too! I have a full-time job, dh and 2 four-year-olds, so me time is precious. It also gives me a chance to hang out with friends and make new ones. While I also have a fairly analytical job, I am also creative. I used to sew and crochet. I found what I loved the most was the fabric and the yarn--mainly because of all the pretty colors. But it always took SO LONG to finish. I would always have a TON of partially completed projects that I got bored of because they were all one color or pattern. That's NOT a problem with scrapbooking! I can experiment with many different colors and styles. I also love to write and it's a great way to preserve memories.
Kristen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

It makes me happy! It's a creative outlet for me, and I get to share what I create with family & friends. I like the idea of preserving my memories in a scrapbook so that it's a nice easy way to look at what we've done in our lives, and I try to include a lot of details so that when I'm old I will always remember and when I'm gone, everyone will still know all the details!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

It is ME time and it give me an opportunity to express myself and tell a story of my Families lives..
PLUS I find it relaxing and a stress relief.
PLUS I enjoy IT!!!
My name is Sue and I am a Stamping addict..
LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

My grandma made a point of giving cards to everyone faithfully - I have kind of picked up the mantle, now that she's in heaven. And now that I've started with homemade cards, if I were to stop making them, I'm sure I would hear about it!!! But it's mostly because I love the creative outlet and have to do something to keep me occupied - I'm a recently new empty nester.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I stamp for all of the above reasons!

-Love it
-It is my creative outlet
-I can't draw a stick figure
-It is "me" time
-Fun and relaxing
AND

-It gives me another thing to go shopping for. The thrill of the kill type shopping!

-Finally, I love the feedback (read compliments, raves, etc) that I get when I make something for someone and they usually save them.

So I guess it gives me an ego boost and sometimes those come in handy and are needed for the good of our souls!

Any other things I missed?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do it because I love it. I have always loved doing crafty things, and ALWAYS had a love for paper - stationery, cards, etc. Stamping lets me collect (hoard) all the things I really love, like papers, buttons, ribbons, and other pretty doo-dads. It also is a hobby that I can enjoy alone or share with others. I'm thrilled that I've been able to meet so many wonderful women who have the same interest!

...and besides... now that I've got all this STUFF, I'd better not change my mind about enjoying it!
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

It's a creative outlet for me who can't draw, paint, sew, sing or act! It gives me pleasure to make up something that is pleasing to the eye, when I'm critical of most things about myself. I get a real buzz out of creating something especially for someone else, and I have that person's personality in my mind when I'm making them a card. Gardening is similar "therapy" for me: I let my frustrations go and my mind wander, and there is a very positivie result (well, most times, that is!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Ditto Vicki...I love being able to create things that look pretty, bring joy to myself and others, and are meaningful.

I typically try to personalize cards to the person's personality or the event. I had a friend who found out she was pregnant and that her breast cancer had returned all in the same week so the card I made for her to share my happiness and concern for her health was very unusual and very meaningful to both of us.

Besides that I love all the supplies...nothing is as satisfying as gorgeous papers and vivid colors.

Cool thread..thanks for starting it.

Shawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

For my sanity!!!! I'm a SAHM of 3 boys...

I'm a self-confessed CASER so I can't use the creative outlet reason. But what if I change the colors...is that creative??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think we all need an outlet and I found an outlet in Stamping because I was such a slow scrapbooker (wanted to do the right and perfect layouts) and Card making was instant gratification and it makes others smile too. I can send a regular ole card to someone and they will appreciate the thought of my sending it but a homemade card always gets a reaction! And it is one that I love!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

My reasons are the same as everyone else's. I don't consider myself artistic (can't draw) but I can stamp and scrap and quilt, and after all the work and time, I have something really nice that I can admire. Other people might say it takes too much time to bother doing, but it's something I enjoy as a hobby. The result is uniquely me!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ever since I was a little girl, I had a love (ok, obsession) with pens, markers, paper, stickers, and art. I started scrapbooking, and will still continue, but I like making cards because it gives me a quicker sense of accomplishment. My love language is receiving gifts (so I love to give them!) and words of encouragement...need I say more???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am definitely not an artistic type; I need my DD to help arrange my furniture, my DH is an actual artist for a living; but with the SU color sets, stamp sets and all the great encouragement on this site, I get a creative outlet that helps me feel good and exercises that part of my brain. LOL! I have learned tons from this site and hope the people that receive my cards enjoy the happiness I try to impart to their mailboxes. It is soothing and pleasurable when something turns out the way I envisioned it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I stamp *because* I don't scrap!

I'd first heard about scrapping about 8 yrs ago (I know, I'm slow) when my first son was born. I was invited to a party, & had no clue. I went, had fun, but thought "I don't have time for this". I had a newborn at home that wouldn't sleep, I barely had time to shower each day!! I knew I would fall way behind on my baby's pictures, & I didn't want that to happen. I still have a hard time just getting them dated & in a regular photo album!!

So, to this day, I have one really nice scrapbook page, lol!!!

When I discovered stamping last year (again, really slow!) I thought "oooo ---perfect. I can be creative when I want, however often I want, & my baby's photo album isn't depending on it". So.....many dollars later, here I am!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #31  
Bunny's SunnyChick

My reasons are quite similar to everyone else's but I will share anyway.
Here's my list:
* Memories that will be passed from generation to generation (at least that is the plan).
* Creative Outlet, I have always been creative in many areas of my life, so this is a perfect fit for me since I can stamp on anything!
* I share my hobby with a fabulous group of friends and that truly brings joy to my life.
* SANITY, SANITY, SANITY! I have a daycare & then of course with my own family. My hobby is my "get-a-way". WE all need a break now an then.
* I LOVE IT! There is nothing better than creating a beautiful work of art to share with family or friends.
I think we all just enjoy our "hobbies" to the fullest and the friendships I have made while enjoying my hobbies are a huge blessing to both me and my family.
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes