Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whole cards vs. card fronts?

This may seem like a silly question but I'm trying to get into doing more cards with my SU stamps. I've never done the card fronts but only the whole card. Just wondering which way seems to work better for some of you and why. Is there an advantage to doing the card front, other than saving colored cardstock?

Thanks!
Becca
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Default never mind

i saw several links at the bottom of the page that answered my question about whether to use fronts or whole cards. I think I'm gonna go with using card fronts and attach to white folded cards. Sorry to be repetitious (sp?).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm going to respond anyway. It is really what you like best. I tried the white card and attaching the card fronts and hated it. Not all cards look best with white and the white paper is a little more flimsy than the colored. The part I hated most. The cost is merely pennies I believe between white and colored. I also like having all my cards by categories and then I just pull one out when I need it and I would get lazy and just store the card front.

Try it out and see what you like best. I have been stamping cards for over 10 years and I'm keeping to the full cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #4  
SCS Moderator

I used to do fronts since many I made were to keep as samples, but now I am sticking with whole cards. I like the weight of the SU paper (which is what I use) and the look of using colored cardstock-I think it looks nicer than when it is on white. I usually attach a piece of white or vanilla insode or emboss a verse in silver and use a silver pen or the SU white gel pen for the greeting.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I used to just do the front too, but ever since I started doing the whole card, I'll never go back! The whole cards just look SO much more professional.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default I guess I am the opposite....

I started off with whole cards but thought it was wasteful of colored paper (although now I calculate the cost based on SU white CS - it is actually cheaper).

I switched to card fronts a while ago but after looking at the new IB&C noticed that most cards are whole colored paper. However, after trying some cards today I decided that sometimes you have to have a white base.

For example, a card that has a ribbon going all the way across requires a white base so you can hide the ends of the ribbon (unless someone knows a way to do this without a card front?). Another example is a brad or eyelet that you don't want to show on the inside of the card.

So you might find that sometimes you need a card front and sometimes not. I'm going to avoid card fronts unless I think it is absolutely necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I also used to do fronts, but I have switched to full cards - they just seem to look nicer and more "put together" than just thrown on a cheaper white card base. The only time I do fronts is during VSN since I will really have no idea how it will turn out and i am working in such a frenzy.

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazG
I started off with whole cards but thought it was wasteful of colored paper (although now I calculate the cost based on SU white CS - it is actually cheaper).

I switched to card fronts a while ago but after looking at the new IB&C noticed that most cards are whole colored paper. However, after trying some cards today I decided that sometimes you have to have a white base.

For example, a card that has a ribbon going all the way across requires a white base so you can hide the ends of the ribbon (unless someone knows a way to do this without a card front?). Another example is a brad or eyelet that you don't want to show on the inside of the card.

So you might find that sometimes you need a card front and sometimes not. I'm going to avoid card fronts unless I think it is absolutely necessary.

A card with ribbon doesn't particularly need a "white" base it just needs a base of coordinating cardstock.
I guess I mostly do both at the same time, really, I always make whole cards with a base and then a layered card front on the face of the card. I don't think that too many cards would look nice with a white base, it definitely looks more finished if the base is of coordinating cardstock. Then if the base color is too dark to write on the inside I just layer a piece of WW or VV to write on.
Is this what you mean?
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I do both. Love the look of a whole card. To me, it looks more professional. But, some cards need a front because of ribbon and brad/eyelet backs (which I can't stand to see inside a card). So it really depends on what I'm doing! HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually have more than one layer so I don't have any problem with needing to hide ribbon ends or brads & eyelets. I almost always use a regular cardstock base though, because the white is just not strong enough. I much prefer the look of colored cardstock.

The only reason I do just fronts anymore is if it's a swap situation. Then it's literally just a front, lol, not a whole card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I like to use lots of embellisments and layers, so I like to use regular CS base because otherwise the cards end up feeling "front heavy" and unbalanced in the hand.
For the inside I line it with a blank sheet (or printed with a sentiment) of smooth printer-type paper if needing to cover up eyelets, or if the color is too dark to write on. It really gives it a finished look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I do whole cards.

When I show people stuff I made and it was only cardfronts, they flipped it around and would say "Is this a postcard?" with a strange look on their face.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I do some of each... but mostly full cards. They are easier to display at workshops that I do. I will do card fronts for swaps if it's a large number of cards I have to make ... I can spend more "money" on the card itself since I'm saving money on the cardstock
Please come visit my blog.... nancy's creative mess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Default whole cards.

I always use whole cards rather than card fronts because I think it looks more professional.

The only time I use card fronts is on the large business size envelopes. Then I just make a card front and write on the back.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes