Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #41  
Glitter Guru

What if the like button was just for the forum?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #42  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

"like!"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

There are times in the forum where I would appreciate a 'like' button. Or maybe we call it an 'I agree' button? As to the cards, I use the 'favorite' for cards that are special to me mainly because something on the card spoke to me strongly enough to want to CASE all or part of it or just that I want to look at it again. I always try to leave comments on cards such as these just for that reason. I do use Facebook and I have noticed I use the LIKE button on a comment when I simply cannot think of anything to say or several people have already expressed my feeling exactly. It has also been my experience if people truly have something to say, they are going to comment. Either way, I am happy with SCS and the friends I have found on here.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #44  
Proud Fan Club Member

I may be in the minority as well, but I would rather not have a "like" button. I enjoy when people care enough to leave comments on my cards, and I always try to reciprocate. I have made several good friendships through SCS that may not have happened if comments were not left. The world is already getting to impersonal, so my opinion is don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514
CC Guest Design Team Member for October 2012 & August 2013 & August 2017 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I'm constantly going to hit the non-existent like button.
Yes, I do the same thing, now that I frequent Facebook. The "like" button would be handy!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
What if the like button was just for the forum?
That gets my vote - it would be very similar to what I was saying about the option on a big forum over here of being able to add your thanks to a thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
.... And I always think the same thing when someone posts this - that the way to get that experience back, even as big as SCS is, is to foster those smaller communities so that people feel connected to a group of people. The challenges do that. If you do a certain challenge all the time you are going to start to get to know the other people who do that challenge all the time. But not everyone does challenges. So another way to foster connections between members is through the back and forth of commenting.

That's certainly how I got to "know" you, Rachel (and through threads here, of course). Because while we both do challenges we do different ones - you're never going to see me in the colour challenges, too scary!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #47  
Embossing Fanatic

{/QUOTE}
"Surely the Favourite button serves a similar function in the gallery, except that it's anonymous. But I'm not on Facebook, as Lydia knows , so maybe I'm just missing what the Like button is all about.[/QUOTE]

Since we're all about opinions here I have to say tht personally i cannot stand the "like" button on facebook or just about any other website. I don't care if 7 million people like something, if it doesn't pertain to me, i don't need to know about it.

BUT with that being said, I think a "like" button in the card gallery is a fine idea, although if the favorites button works the same way, i dont' see a reason for it. I often mark cards as favorites but if i'm at work i sometimes don't take the time to post an actual comment. It wouldn't bother me if people know who i was, favoriting them but again, to me it doesn't serve a purpose. I am trying to get better about making comments, as it helps people to know WHAT about their card drew someone's attention.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

If the "like" button here were to be set up the same as the one on Facebook, it would not work the same as the "Favorites". When you favorite something, it goes into your gallery. When you "like" something, it simply works as a counter, giving you a number of times someone has "liked" your card. It's more akin to the "views" counter.

I think it's great to leave a comment saying what you like about a card, but sometimes I simply say "Pretty!" or "Love this!" And that's enough.

Maybe something to think about is how to increase comments. People say it takes time, and it does, but what would make it faster? Maybe if the comment box were up at the top of the page, right under the description. Then you wouldn't have to scroll all the way down. It would be mere centimeters from the Favorites button (and probably the "like" button, if one were to be added). If the comment box were right there in your face as soon as you clicked to view the card, more people might just type something in. Yes, you would still have that small delay when the comment gets added before you could go on to another card, but you have that with the Favorites button already.

Just a thought.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Anyone else found the LIKE button?!?!?!?!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Anyone else found the LIKE button?!?!?!?!
Yes. But I am probably never going to use it. Not even for contests. I find the whole concept silly. (Not just here-- facebook, google, whatever.) I agree with whoever said it seems like a popularity contest.

I can also see how very popular posts are going to end up with a long, long list of people who like the post. Is there a way to toggle that off?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

If the "like" button here were to be set up the same as the one on Facebook, it would not work the same as the "Favorites". When you favorite something, it goes into your gallery. When you "like" something, it simply works as a counter, giving you a number of times someone has "liked" your card. It's more akin to the "views" counter.
Yes, but a poster who puts up a card can already see how many people made their card a favorite and how many have viewed it. Pretty much the same stats whether you call it a "favorite" button or a "like" button. It looks as though "like" is just going to tell you who likes it and, quite frankly, I think that is going to make it less likely that I will use it.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #52  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

But just in the forums, not in the galleries .
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really like Rachelrose's suggestion below of having the comment box at the top right under the description. Both for the reason she mentions, and because I often find myself scrolling back up to the photo to think about how I want to comment on something special in the card.

Quote:

Maybe something to think about is how to increase comments. People say it takes time, and it does, but what would make it faster? Maybe if the comment box were up at the top of the page, right under the description. Then you wouldn't have to scroll all the way down. It would be mere centimeters from the Favorites button (and probably the "like" button, if one were to be added). If the comment box were right there in your face as soon as you clicked to view the card, more people might just type something in.

Just a thought.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #54  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I really like Rachelrose's suggestion below of having the comment box at the top right under the description. Both for the reason she mentions, and because I often find myself scrolling back up to the photo to think about how I want to comment on something special in the card.
Stay tuned

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Stay tuned
Oh my - do you ever sleep?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Yes. But I am probably never going to use it. Not even for contests. I find the whole concept silly. (Not just here-- facebook, google, whatever.) I agree with whoever said it seems like a popularity contest.

I can also see how very popular posts are going to end up with a long, long list of people who like the post. Is there a way to toggle that off?
I think the "Like" button has evolved to so much more in social media. Sometimes it is "like" but often it is "I agree and can't add any more to this" and even a means of quick encouragement. Someone makes the statement they are going to make a card for something and people "like" it just as a "way to go" or "great idea".

So whilst I get that some don't want to bother with it, I still think it is a great interactive tool for multiple reasons.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
or my other thing is trying to scroll down to the box without reading what everyone else had to say about it, then you know what happens?

I look like an echo and someone ( it almost never fails) has said exactly or nearly word for word the same thing I did

because sometimes I read the one above mine after mine loads.

My Blog
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Stay tuned
And if the comments section is being changed or fine-tuned, something else I would like is for the newest comment to come at the top. On the wonderful occasions when I get more than a few comments on a card, it would be nice to have the newest comment first so that I don't have to scroll down to the bottom and then press "page 2", and then scroll down through a few more.

Just another suggestion.....

Thank you for always being so receptive!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #59  
Proud Fan Club Member

I just found the like button and I like...it seems to be just for the forums, not for cards. So you still comment on the cards, just like what someone may have to say in a thread....
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #60  
Kookie Creator

I'm not on Facebook (and proud of it ), so maybe my opinion doesn't count here. I've never uploaded any cards to the gallery, so I have no vested interest there. I've never commented on any cards in the gallery either because of time issues. However, it I did post comments, I would never post unless I had something different to say from what had already been said. If the gallery had a "cool" or "wow" button to that was readily available, I could see myself using that. What I think would work well for me in the forums would be an "amen" button to say "I agree" or "she just said what I would have said." Just my 2 cents (pre-tax) worth.
Dea
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Oh, I couldn't agree more! I see it, but won't use it. Seems silly to me. Someone said that marking as a favorite wouldn't tell you who it was, but how can you tell with the like? Just too confusing.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I hunted around for a new setting in the Control Panel. Sure enough, it's there. Under Edit Options, at the bottom of the Messaging & Notification section, there are two radio buttons to either "Enable Likes Notifications" or "Disable Likes Notifications." However, I've just disabled mine as a test, then reloaded this thread, and the previous Likes are still displaying.

I'm going to leave mine turned on, so it's not all that important for me to solve it, but now I'm curious how disabling them is supposed to work.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
I'm not on Facebook (and proud of it ), so maybe my opinion doesn't count here. I've never uploaded any cards to the gallery, so I have no vested interest there. I've never commented on any cards in the gallery either because of time issues. However, it I did post comments, I would never post unless I had something different to say from what had already been said. If the gallery had a "cool" or "wow" button to that was readily available, I could see myself using that. What I think would work well for me in the forums would be an "amen" button to say "I agree" or "she just said what I would have said." Just my 2 cents (pre-tax) worth.
Dea
I understand what you're saying, Dea. But if people only posted comments that were completely original, there would be few comments! Comments are personal communications, and with a community of people who only "know" each other online as we do, there is a real upside to having as many ways to become real to one another as possible. Comments do that. You hear a person's "voice" when they comment. !
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #64  
Kookie Creator

In search of the elusive Like button .... Where is it please?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathBelleView Post
In search of the elusive Like button .... Where is it please?
Look in the lower right of every forum post... although it won't appear on your own.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Oh yes, thanks Judi.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #67  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
I hunted around for a new setting in the Control Panel. Sure enough, it's there. Under Edit Options, at the bottom of the Messaging & Notification section, there are two radio buttons to either "Enable Likes Notifications" or "Disable Likes Notifications." However, I've just disabled mine as a test, then reloaded this thread, and the previous Likes are still displaying.

I'm going to leave mine turned on, so it's not all that important for me to solve it, but now I'm curious how disabling them is supposed to work.

Hm, I wondered if it was to do with the little Likes Received and Given in the Mini Statistics box when you view your profile. That appeared several weeks ago and has stayed blank, but now I see it updates with likes. But I've toggled off Notifications and refreshed several times and it stays the same....so the radio button isn't for that either. Maybe you get an email if somebody likes a post you made??
Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
... Maybe you get an email if somebody likes a post you made??
That's an interesting thought. I just Liked your post, Sabrina. Did you get an email?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #69  
Glitter Guru

Just found the "Like" button! I "like" it!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #70  
Crimping Master

I'm Loving the Like!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

I think this is a great idea! I have thought about this many times, glad some one brought it up
Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #72  
Glitter Guru

Yay for the like button!
Double yay that it is only in the forum!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #73  
Embossing Fanatic

Yeah for the "Like!" button!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #74  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

That's an interesting thought. I just Liked your post, Sabrina. Did you get an email?
Um - I'd disabled it!!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Um - I'd disabled it!!
Oh, too funny.

Do you want to enable it again? Then I'll Like another one of your posts, and we can test it.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #76  
Matboard Maniac

Default While I agree with you

regarding marking cards as favorites or leaving a comment, unfortunately, not everyone takes the time to leave a comment. I have had over 300 looks at a card and several people who mark it as a favorite, but no one leaves a comment. Seriously? I too try to leave comments, especially if I actually click on the card. However, a like button would not take as much time as typing a comment and maybe those who don't take the time to write comments would take the time to click on like. Just my 2 cents worth.

My Blog
- My Gallery

Last edited by Tinkerbell1958; 04-13-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie1974View Post
I would like a "like" button, but don't seem to have one. It seems everyone else does!
Angie, there should be one in the lower right of every forum post (other than your own). The Like buttons are right next to the Quote buttons.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Tinkerbell1958, that was so nice of you to Like my earlier reply so that I could check whether there was an email notification. Nope. Nothing showed up in my email. So, I still haven't figured out what that new Control Panel setting does.

Now I'm going to scout out your card with 300 views and return the favor.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #79  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Angie, there should be one in the lower right of every forum post (other than your own). The Like buttons are right next to the Quote buttons.
AHA! I was just going to ask about this. I have not disabled the 'like' button but did not see if on my own posts. Guess I can't 'LIKE' myself - LOL!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really liked liking the OP's question about a like button.

Thanks Lydia!