Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Who is planning on shopping for Crafts on Black Friday? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/who-planning-shopping-crafts-black-friday-512833/)

Barbara Jay 11-21-2010 08:52 PM

Who is planning on shopping for Crafts on Black Friday?

After I counted all the stuff I have I promised myself I will not shop for more craft things on Black Friday .

In fact I don't plan to go shopping for anything on Black Friday .
I hate the crowds and needing to park so far from store entrances

Am I alone ???

sillyfilly 11-21-2010 09:29 PM

After the Verve November release and the SU Holiday Mini I'm broke for now .Not mentioning I had my LSS order me two sets of Nesties. I have just about 2 more Christmas gifts to buy and I will be done! I won't go out in all that craziness on black friday. I just hate the huge crowds and the rudeness you see. I'll be eating leftover turkey and visiting with my daughters and grandchildren. We might be making some candy for them to take home. Have a Happy Turkey day Barbara Jay!

UnderstandBlue 11-22-2010 03:30 AM

I would rather eat a bug than shop. :) I love stamping because I can buy most if not all of my stuff online. Just thinking about a mall gives me the heebie jeebies :)

joyfullyhis 11-22-2010 03:45 AM

Bring on the crowds!!! I'll be hitting the stores nice and early...:D

chef2die4 11-22-2010 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyfullyhis (Post 17606320)
Bring on the crowds!!! I'll be hitting the stores nice and early...:D

ME TOO!!!! Love to shop that day!

tynmicsmom 11-22-2010 07:49 AM

I am definately one of the shoppers for Black Friday. I will be at Kohls when they open the doors at 3 am :) and yes if I get all my Christmas shopping finished Friday I will be hitting some craft stores also !

Enjoy shopping ladies,
Bonnie

Crafts 11-22-2010 07:51 AM

Who is planning on shopping for Crafts on Black Friday?

I sure did a double-take on that thread title. Are a whole bunch of you planning to shop for me on Black Friday? How nice of you all! ;)

joyfullyhis 11-22-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafts (Post 17607115)
I sure did a double-take on that thread title. Are a whole bunch of you planning to shop for me on Black Friday? How nice of you all! ;)

LOL!!!!!

mouseprints 11-22-2010 09:36 AM

I plan to but from my comfy computer chair and pjs. I worked retail on Black Friday too many years to venture out.

I plan to do my shopping online. Are all the best deals on Cyper Monday only or would there be good crafting sales online on Friday too?

Thanks.

Trish

pigtail1 11-22-2010 09:56 AM

i will be...it wasn't bad here last year...my family went early...i slept in...hit stores at 0830 and no problems at all (even wally world)...i want to hit micheal's...some good deals there

MNjulie 11-22-2010 10:10 AM

I'm in! A local store has cricut cartridges for $18.88 to $28.88, so that's worth it to get up early for. The store has run that sale that last few years, and they do it in a very organized way. I'm not sure if I'll hit any other stores.

mouseprints 11-22-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNjulie (Post 17607593)
I'm in! A local store has cricut cartridges for $18.88 to $28.88, so that's worth it to get up early for. The store has run that sale that last few years, and they do it in a very organized way. I'm not sure if I'll hit any other stores.

Is that Crafts Direct? I LOVE that store. I wish it was closer. Maybe someday I can make it up there again.

Have fun.

Trish

magnipotent1 11-22-2010 11:00 AM

I wish I COULD stay in..bad me, I took my daughter 2 years ago and now it's a 'mom and daughter' tradition. How can I say "no, I hate it",after that? lol

Nik:o

tricia2354 11-22-2010 11:14 AM

I'll be at target bright and early(4am)!! Then I plan to hit Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Joann Fabric.

Tricia

mireles4 11-22-2010 02:59 PM

Does anyone know if there are any online crafting stores that will have sales on Black friday? I would shop that way. As far as going out and fighting through lines and parking and rude people,, no thanks. I think I am going to stay home and stamp!

weims 11-22-2010 05:32 PM

Not a chance of getting me anywhere near the mall or any major store for that matter. I absolutely hate shopping and the mall!

Pamstamps2 11-22-2010 05:36 PM

I sort of enjoy going and looking for bargains. But, I may stay in this year. I plan on going to ToyRus w/ a friend that is deploying before Christmas on Turkey day and then hopefully home and to bed! I may go to HL later in the day if they have a good sale.

If anyone has any good on-line deals please post them!

jkstieber 11-22-2010 06:21 PM

I won't be anywhere near the stores. Last year DH and I bought a TV that day and it wasn't too bad, but this year I plan to finish making my Christmas cards on Friday. I'd rather use my stash that day than buy more.

doxymommy 11-22-2010 06:35 PM

We only have a Michaels and Walmart in our town and i will be hitting them both. Gonna try and hit Michaels on thanksgiving day too.

Leslie30 11-22-2010 07:07 PM

One of my LSS (Scrapbook Art, Columbus Ohio) will be opening Thanksgiving evening 9-12 with special sales, refreshments, etc. I love that a store with such a niche market is having a special evening. Sounds like a ton of fun to me!

bound4london 11-22-2010 07:29 PM

Not me! Won't be anywhere near a store on Friday. And most certainly not on Thursday. Going to cook and eat Thanksgiving dinner and relax with the family on Thursday. Friday I will be relaxing and crafting, and enjoying time with my kids while they are home from school.

Barbara Jay 11-22-2010 11:54 PM

I saw two commercials for stores open on Thanksgiving. Plus Kohl's is opening at 3 A.M and Walmart and Target are opening at midnight.

I feel so sorry for the people in retail that they can't even enjoy Thanksgiving with their families because they either need to get to bed by 6 P.M. or go with out sleep to start work at midnight.

Because of them I would not go to a store on Thanksgiving or in the middle of the night if they were giving the stuff away free.

If stores don't have enough business they will stop this insanity

I worked one Christmas season for Joanns. We closed at 7 p.m. on Christmas Eve and then we were there until nearly 10 p.m. setting up the After Christmas sales stuff. I cooked dinner for my family and I was so exhausted I didn't enjoy my Christmas dinner that year.

RubberLady603 11-23-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Understandblue (Post 17606265)
I would rather eat a bug than shop. :) I love stamping because I can buy most if not all of my stuff online. Just thinking about a mall gives me the heebie jeebies :)

I'm with you on this one! I hate shopping, let alone in a big crazy crowd! Bring on the bugs and pass the salt........

Kristipapercreatio 11-23-2010 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara Jay (Post 17610680)
I saw two commercials for stores open on Thanksgiving. Plus Kohl's is opening at 3 A.M and Walmart and Target are opening at midnight.

I feel so sorry for the people in retail that they can't even enjoy Thanksgiving with their families because they either need to get to bed by 6 P.M. or go with out sleep to start work at midnight.

Because of them I would not go to a store on Thanksgiving or in the middle of the night if they were giving the stuff away free.

If stores don't have enough business they will stop this insanity

I worked one Christmas season for Joanns. We closed at 7 p.m. on Christmas Eve and then we were there until nearly 10 p.m. setting up the After Christmas sales stuff. I cooked dinner for my family and I was so exhausted I didn't enjoy my Christmas dinner that year.

This is what I was telling my husband last night when I saw a commercial for Wally World. They will be open on Thanksgiving! I feel so bad for the employees who have to work that day just so shoppers can get their junk!:( Why are they trying to turn Thanksgiving into just another shopping day?

allee's 11-23-2010 04:37 AM

No, I will not be out shopping. I plan to be crafting and playing cards or board games with family.

buttons2 11-23-2010 04:55 AM

Black Friday would be the LAST day I'd go shopping. Instead, I'm going to be making tags to put on our church's Giving Tree so the members will have a child to buy for who may not have any other Christmas. May listen to some Christmas music while I'm doing it. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone.

Wanda

GramMcCaul 11-23-2010 05:07 AM

Have gone in the past, but this year I think it will be stay at home and craft day. Must be getting old as the thought of all the crowds and crazy-ness just tells me to stay home. :)

Michellena317 11-23-2010 05:12 AM

I was going to but since Michael's is open and has special sale items on Thanksgiving I think I am going to pop over there at 5 for a few minutes pick up the few items I wanted and call it a day.

pjw2855 11-23-2010 05:12 AM

Ladies.....There is no need to feel sorry for the people who work on the holiday or begin their work day in the middle of the night at holiday time. Rest asured they volunteered for working on those days or at those hours and are paid (in most cases) premium wages for their time and efforts. So they are happy campers!

For the management that must meet those hours, that's part of their job. They assume that commitment and knowledge when they enter that field of work.

Same goes for the medical field workers. They understand this when they take those positions. They have the dedication for their jobs.

This not to say these people would not rather be elsewhere for the holiday, but that's life and they understand that.

Patti

peeps321 11-23-2010 05:17 AM

I plan on relaxing in my jammies, making some cards, reading, watching movies, and perhaps doing some online shopping that day..no way would I leave the warmth of my home at 3 or 4 in the morning for anything!

MNjulie 11-23-2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouseprints (Post 17607646)
Is that Crafts Direct? I LOVE that store. I wish it was closer. Maybe someday I can make it up there again.

Have fun.

Trish

Yes, it is! They posted their After Thanksgiving sale flyer on their Facebook page.

LorraineBK 11-23-2010 06:02 AM

Lydia you are so funny.
I have 3 craft stores within a 10 minute drive. If they're having REALLY good sales I might take a ride to check it out. It would have to be early though because I just can't wait on line forever. I would NEVER get up and go shopping anywhere for anything at any time of the year at 3AM. Some of the stores in this area are opening at 3AM and many stores are open on Thanksgiving. I'd be really annoyed if I was one of the employees who had to work.

sprtchick 11-23-2010 08:53 AM

On Friday I will be putting the finishing touches on a huge pot of turkey soup. All my friends come over to make cards on Saturday and look forward to my soup. It will be an an awesome Thanksgiving with one son here from the Midwest and friends on Saturday to make cards...many blessings ladies how ever you choose to spend your Friday.

Barbara Jay 11-23-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855 (Post 17611147)
Ladies.....There is no need to feel sorry for the people who work on the holiday or begin their work day in the middle of the night at holiday time. Rest assured they volunteered for working on those days or at those hours and are paid (in most cases) premium wages for their time and efforts. So they are happy campers!

For the management that must meet those hours, that's part of their job. They assume that commitment and knowledge when they enter that field of work.

Same goes for the medical field workers. They understand this when they take those positions. They have the dedication for their jobs.

This not to say these people would not rather be elsewhere for the holiday, but that's life and they understand that.

Patti

I don't know how it is at other retail stores, but the season I worked part time for Joanns, we did NOT get any extra pay for Christmas Eve. A few people who did have that day off had to come in at 6 p.m. and work until almost 10 p.m. for regular pay. We were paid a little over minimum wage .

As far as people taking these retail jobs because they don't mind working holidays many of them took those jobs because they couldn't find other work.

My daughter is an RN and that is different. She knew she would work many holidays, but she is paid a decent wage and does get premium pay for holidays . She also has to work 12 hour shifts.

UnderstandBlue 11-23-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 17612046)
On Friday I will be putting the finishing touches on a huge pot of turkey soup. All my friends come over to make cards on Saturday and look forward to my soup. It will be an an awesome Thanksgiving with one son here from the Midwest and friends on Saturday to make cards...many blessings ladies how ever you choose to spend your Friday.

Soup and cards sounds like a perfect day! :)

Allistamps123 11-23-2010 09:30 AM

Not me, I shop every other day of the year. I don't need anything that bad!

Joan B 11-23-2010 09:33 AM

I have $30 left in my craft budget for 2010. So I'm hoarding it and staying home and using the 4 million dollars worth of stuff I already have!!

snowcountry311 11-23-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B (Post 17612195)
I have $30 left in my craft budget for 2010. So I'm hoarding it and staying home and using the 4 million dollars worth of stuff I already have!!

i don't stick to a budget. but i'm w/ you there on having way too much @ home already.
black friday my favorite SIL @ i go to the movies. we each get a bucket o'coke. 1 bucket o'popcorn to share. 1 movie. dump the treats. start fresh for the next movie,and so on! it's a great day!:p

Choc0holic 11-23-2010 10:06 AM

No deal is good enough to drag me out of bed that early to face crowds, long lines, traffic, etc. I do most of my shopping online on my wireless laptop while sitting on the couch or my bed. My daughter does have a birthday next week that I have yet to purchase anything for, so I'm sure I'll have to go shopping at some point this weekend. You can be sure that it won't be in the early morning hours though!