Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Where to sell cards?

I was having a garage sale this morning and thought I would throw in some cards and stuff I had stamped. I made up a nice table with a cute tablecloth and sign. The cards were in plastic covers and laid out for everyone to see.
No one bought a single thing! Only about 5 even really looked at the table? Now I know garage sales are not the ideal place to sell handcrafted items, most people are only there to get really cheap stuff. But I at least thought I could catch the interest of a couple of people! Everyone is always telling me I should sell my cards, but that seems harder to do than it first seemed.

So my questions is...where can I find people to buy my cards? I read about people selling at craft shows and I just don't know where to find them or how to get started. Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebshelt
I was having a garage sale this morning and thought I would throw in some cards and stuff I had stamped. I made up a nice table with a cute tablecloth and sign. The cards were in plastic covers and laid out for everyone to see.
No one bought a single thing! Only about 5 even really looked at the table? Now I know garage sales are not the ideal place to sell handcrafted items, most people are only there to get really cheap stuff. But I at least thought I could catch the interest of a couple of people! Everyone is always telling me I should sell my cards, but that seems harder to do than it first seemed.

So my questions is...where can I find people to buy my cards? I read about people selling at craft shows and I just don't know where to find them or how to get started. Any suggestions?
This is such a great question and I hope you get a lot suggestions! I have wondered the same thing and would like to get started....
Old 07-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I keep a box at work and everyone knows to help themselves and put the money in the box. DH also has one in his office and I have a third box which various friends take to their work for a coupke of days at a time. All of these also generate orders for bespoke cards.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

my 2 cents is pretty much what the others have said. For a while, I sent them with my hubby to work, but he's not such a great salesperson, although a few people bought. Once I took them out of there, then a big fan emailed me for a big order, so don't totally rule out hubby's workplace. Then, I've had HUGE luck with my SIL, who is a natural born seller. She lives in Virginia and sells a ton of them. I usually send her 100 at a time and she sends me $200 every couple of months. It works great and I earn some extra SU spending money. I also sell to family and friends. Slowly, the word is getting out. My girlfriend and I will be in some local craft shows this fall, not sure how that will go, but we'll give it a shot. Another great place to leave them is at your kids school (if they're elementary). Leave them in the teacher's lounge with a little sign stating how much and where to leave the money. It should be pretty safe in there. Custom grad cards were big for me this year. I do them in school colors, so that is really fun for some people. Just start small, and eventually people will know what you do and will come to you. Good luck. It's been so much fun doing this. I actually have people asking me to print a catalog of my work.....don't have a clue how I would do this, but it's worth thinking about, right?
Old 07-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #5  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

It might also depend on whose stamps you are using. The Angel Company lets you sell anywhere, I believe. SU! is limited.

If you are using all of one company, check out their angel policy, you can usually find it online. Once you know that, you can go from there!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Great question! I'd also like to know what typical prices do people put on handmade cards. I know it depends on how much you put into it, cost, etc... However, I've heard people say around $2 for a card, but when they buy in bulk, seems expensive. I had someone approach me about making 50 fairly detailed cards and she thought that even $35- $40 was too much. Just curious about the ball park. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I made a card for a friend, she ordered ten. Then she showed them to a friend who ordered ten. She showed them to her mother.... My card selling blossomed from there. I sell my cards for $2.50 each.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

A friend of mine sells her cards at Church Craft sales. She appartly does very well.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #9  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

I hear ya. Some people think "homemade" means cheaper. LOL

Seriously tho. They need to be educated. Ask them when is the last time they looked at an assortment of cards. Current, Inc? Do they want flat cards? Get some ammunition to show. I would NEVER do that. I've sold cards to my MIL and felt I was giving her a break by "only" charging $15 for a set of 8. But they WERE simple, she wanted simple, I used layers but no expensive embellishments. I have also seen cards for sale in a "rich" town in my area, in a store, each in it's own plastic sleeve, beautiful artsy cards with lots of 3-D embellishments - I mean, the card becomes the gift, at a point!! These went for $9 for the smallest and simplest, and up. PER CARD!!!!

So - it depends on the venue, on your embellishments, on the time involved. If it's "detailed" but stuff you can do quickly, then charge accordingly.

Good luck!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terribill2
Great question! I'd also like to know what typical prices do people put on handmade cards. I know it depends on how much you put into it, cost, etc... However, I've heard people say around $2 for a card, but when they buy in bulk, seems expensive. I had someone approach me about making 50 fairly detailed cards and she thought that even $35- $40 was too much. Just curious about the ball park. Thanks!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Old 07-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
I hear ya. Some people think "homemade" means cheaper. LOL
I know. I don't get that!

I mean, look at what Hallmark charges for their nice dimensional cards?

And, they aren't hand-made!!!
Old 07-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by westy04
my 2 cents is pretty much what the others have said. For a while, I sent them with my hubby to work, but he's not such a great salesperson, although a few people bought. Once I took them out of there, then a big fan emailed me for a big order, so don't totally rule out hubby's workplace. Then, I've had HUGE luck with my SIL, who is a natural born seller. She lives in Virginia and sells a ton of them. I usually send her 100 at a time and she sends me $200 every couple of months. It works great and I earn some extra SU spending money. I also sell to family and friends. Slowly, the word is getting out. My girlfriend and I will be in some local craft shows this fall, not sure how that will go, but we'll give it a shot. Another great place to leave them is at your kids school (if they're elementary). Leave them in the teacher's lounge with a little sign stating how much and where to leave the money. It should be pretty safe in there. Custom grad cards were big for me this year. I do them in school colors, so that is really fun for some people. Just start small, and eventually people will know what you do and will come to you. Good luck. It's been so much fun doing this. I actually have people asking me to print a catalog of my work.....don't have a clue how I would do this, but it's worth thinking about, right?
westy04... I just looked at your gallery. Creative and gorgeous! It is easy to understand why you sell so many cards... they sell themselves after just one look! I'm just starting with stamping and I am just wowed at the beautiful creations I see on this site.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Default t\The Card Selling Dilema

I have not had a lot of luck selling my cards. Everyone likes them and says how wondrful they are then they go to the grocery store (not even Hallmark) and buy them for $2.95. I sell mine for $2.50 at craft fairs where I have to pay a commission or $2.00 when I don't have a commission.

I've had the best luck in my office at work, but right now it is such a mess that no one could find them so I brought them home. I really need to clean up and get them back there.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

I agree that the workplace is a good spot to sell your work. I have had word of mouth at work, and I have sold a lot of cards that way. I also made up some samples that would work specifically for real estate offices and mortgage brokers. I visited the offices, and I now have a good little business with that.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terribill2
I sell mine for $2 unless they buy them in bulk (like christmas cards) then I sell them for about $1 - $1.50 depending on the difficulty.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I have a craft sale every year from my own home (this will be our 16th year). We started out doing the crafty stuff marketing to our friends, neighbors, co-workers and church members. When we saw that people were starting to get crafted out, we switched to cards. We lost some of our following but have slowly regained it as people use our cards and others see them. My mother and I both make cards for the sale and have about 500+ for people to choose from. I make 8 of each design and charge $2.50. This year I have some that are VERY time consuming and they will be $3.50. Cards are consumables and therefore people will never be carded out (so to speak). As long as you keep your ideas fresh and you know your customers tastes, you should do well.

I tried the consignment thing.....never again. Cards get damaged from the retail type of situation and you lose more than you gain. I don't have to pay any table fee when it is at my own home. We transform my family room into the sales area with lots of tables and display the cards in a appealing manner.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I sell quite a few at my 98 year old Grandma's retirement home. I give her a shoebox full of them with an envelope for the $. Many old people can't get out and drive to get a card. Plus they appreciate the home made ones. I/she just sold about 15 cards the other week that I don't consider quality ones for $2 each and I was happy to get rid of them. However, the types of cards I make now, I'd sell for at least $3. to $3.50. Plus last year I made over $200 in two hours (no table fee) at their craft fair. Retirement homes are a terrific place to sell cards!
Old 07-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

I was at marshall fields a few months ago shopping for a bridal shower, which was in a few hours. Me and MIL were leaving straight from there to the bridal shower. I went over to their cards (I know I forgot to make one) to get one thinking 'I don't want to go into another store'. Boy, did I pee my pants when I picked up a card that was simple flat, it was white with the outline of a church with a rhinestone on it. It was 9 dollars. Now thats stupid.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:43 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I have been selling cards for years now...When I first started, my prices where around $1.50.....way to cheap so I have learned..This is all a learning process. I have now cranked my prices and sell alot more cards... doesn't make sense. I sell at craft shows all over the state. my prices start at $2.00 for plain and go all the way up to $5.00 depending on embellishments. I have figured that I sell more of the "expensive cards" than the plain??? And I do. I do give a small price break for the more cards one buys...but not much. I have alot of people around the state addicted and come and buy bulk or order in bulk. If you have any questions feel free to email me [email protected]... I hope this will help. I just got done with an order for wedding invites and charged $200 for 60... she didn't flinch... email me with any questions.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Okay... for those of you who sell wedding invites, do you include reception cards, response cards and envelopes in your pricing? Do you do an interior as well as an exterior envelope? Do you have a good source for lined envelopes? Do you include a printed return address on the envelopes?
Thanks!

Kristine
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Pinkie is Inkie in Boxertown

Default Stamps & Cars

Just took a stroll through your gallery. Your cards are so amazingly great. Wow,
I am impressed. Keep up the wonderful work and I hope you will continue sharing. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabcre8tive
Just took a stroll through your gallery. Your cards are so amazingly great. Wow,
I am impressed. Keep up the wonderful work and I hope you will continue sharing. Thanks.
Thanks so much! What a nice thing to say. Have about 150 more to do for my sale in October so I'm not too far behind!