Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Where do you get your digital prints? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/where-do-you-get-your-digital-prints-69483/)

emilymomto3boys 07-14-2005 04:41 AM

Where do you get your digital prints?

I am all digital camera-wise. I was getting prints from Osco (Sav-on) Drug. I'd upload them online and pick them up at the store. Well, they don't have Osco in TX. Mamak just started using Winkflash.com. I really like their prices (12 cents a pic) and they have flat rate shipping of 99 cents. However, they are pretty thin prints. I prefer glossy, would like reasonable price per pic, and I am partial to Kodak photo paper. (Winkflash uses fuji) I am only interested in online places that I can upload to from home. I'd prefer direct shipping to me, but I'll pick them up in a store if need be.

So who do you use and why??

julieklein 07-14-2005 04:54 AM

Shutterfly

I always use Shutterfly.com. You can upload from home--and I'm in the process of uploading my entire digital picture collection as a backup for my backup of my pictures!! Can never be too safe :) They deliver to your door very quickly and I've always been very satisfied. However, I just checked and they use Fuji paper--so maybe not much of a help!

Walgreens uses Kodak, I believe. Good Luck!

3girl'smom 07-14-2005 04:58 AM

Snapfish.com is owned and operated by HP. They charge 12 cents a print and are offering 25 free prints right now. I know you said you are partial to Kodak but I think they'd be worth a try.

swilliams 07-14-2005 05:00 AM

I have use kodakgallery.com for years and have always been satisfied. They use Kodak paper. You upload to them and they send out very quickly. The company used to be called ofoto but was recently changed to kodakgallery. I like this company because I can send pics to my family with ease and they can order what they want.

Sarah

emilymomto3boys 07-14-2005 05:01 AM

Thanks though! Yeah, the walgreen's by my house ( actually in this whole town) don't have the picture uploading yet. Says it is comign soon!

Klarson 07-14-2005 05:03 AM

Have you thought of buying a high quality printer? I have an Epson, and it prints great - granted, it takes 5 ink cartridges, but that okay, cause I can print them any size anytime

inkmagination 07-14-2005 05:07 AM

Keep checking with Walgreens periodically. I still am old fashioned, using file (gasp!), but Walgreen's has the most vibrant prints. A real noticable (sp?) difference. If I were you, I'd try them for digital, once they get up and going. I assume they would be printed on the same paper as film processing...

Jenmouer 07-14-2005 05:15 AM

I've used pretty much all of them - but I have a tendancy to stick with winkflash or snapfish because the prices are so low...since I am using the pictures to scrap I usually get the matte finish...

emilymomto3boys 07-14-2005 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3girl'smom
Snapfish.com is owned and operated by HP. They charge 12 cents a print and are offering 25 free prints right now. I know you said you are partial to Kodak but I think they'd be worth a try.

Yes, I am leaning toward snapfish. The only drawback is their shipping. It gets pretty pricey when you get a lot of prints. I usually order about 100 at a time. Plus their 5x7's are pretty $$.

emilymomto3boys 07-14-2005 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klarson
Have you thought of buying a high quality printer? I have an Epson, and it prints great - granted, it takes 5 ink cartridges, but that okay, cause I can print them any size anytime

Yeah, I just don't have the patience to print out the number of photos I would want. I am not talented with computers and I just think I'd never get around to do it.

colo 07-14-2005 05:19 AM

I live in a small town and there are only 2 places that print digital pictures in town - a privately owned photo store (uses thin paper) and Walmart. I've been printing mine at Walmart for about 2 years now and they use the Kodak paper and they do a good job. Every once in a while the color will seem off but I just take them back up there with my disk and they reprint them for me. They also have the upload option at their website.

HTH!!!!

HappyRaspberry 07-14-2005 05:22 AM

I use dotphoto.com I pay a prepay rate of 14.95 a month that covers 45 4x6, 10 5x7 and video.. i'm happy with it, i've used shutterfly & snapfish. So far I like dotphoto best I usually order about 100 pictures at a time, shipping is about $3.00 maybe less...

gamblemom 07-14-2005 05:22 AM

Ofoto.com (now kodak)

I have been using Ofoto.com, now Kodak owns it. I pay .25 a pic for 4x6 glossy. They are profesional quality. I don't think the shipping is too much, I can't find an old receipt to check. It is very easy to use their gallery too.

overcome 07-14-2005 05:24 AM

You should check out http://www.clarkcolor.com I've used them for years.

They have Kodak paper, they have choice of glossy or matte, and I *think* you can even upgrade to a kodak royal paper, which is thicker. They also have great prices and good turn around time for delivery. You can get a great deal if you prepay for prints. Of course they, just like most online developers, offer specials all the time.

That being said, I like Shutterfly for certain items too. At Shutterfly it is super easy to share with others online (viewers don't have to sign in and create an account to view pics). Shutterfly also prints the captions of the pictures on the back of the pics...which I think is great! Last year at Christmas I ordered a calendar for my cousin using pics of his trip to Europe. It came out GREAT!! It was such an awesome gift!!

Maybe you could try a few different sites and see which pics you like best!!

Good Luck!
Ashley

stampingdenise 07-14-2005 05:24 AM

Regarding printing digital prints at home.... It's not really any cheaper to do it that way if you factor in the cost of the ink and the paper. Plus, once you factor in your time... no thanks.

I use shutterfly. I really like them. I'm partial to matte finish though. I have even established a professional account with them and will have them fulfill my photo orders from my wedding/portrait clients. Just waiting for my pro digital camera to arrive so I can start using digital instead of film for my photo shoots!

There are lots of places offering online processing. Even CM has started with it! You might also want to check any pro quality photo processors in your area. I know my local camera shop offers online processing, which I'll be taking advatage of for sure!

mamakimberly 07-14-2005 05:36 AM

I am actually a little preferential to the thin pics for scrapbooking... less weight on the page.... and in my regular photo album they are 2 to a page (one back, one front) so the thin is okay...

but try snapfish and see if you like them better?

luvtostampstampstamp 07-14-2005 05:44 AM

We use walmart.com. You can pick them up at the store or have home delivery. But the fun thing is you can have them sent to any Walmart...like Grandpa and Grandma's or Aunties!!! They just love having pictures waiting for them when they go shopping!

The quality from uploading them at home is better than doing it at the store...don't know why but they are!!!

Good luck, let us know what you decide!!

emilymomto3boys 07-14-2005 05:54 AM

Walmart uses Fuji. I have never gotten Kodak from Walmart.

luvtostampstampstamp 07-14-2005 05:58 AM

Oh right! Sorry! :)

colo 07-14-2005 06:02 AM

Hmmmm....the back of most of my pictures say Kodak (some say Fuji)...I wonder why. I print my pictures only at Walmart. Weird...I had never noticed that before!!!! Well, sorry if it was wrong info! My BIL uses shutterfly.com and he LOVES it. He is VERY picky about his pictures and the quality of the prints and that's all he will use. Good luck with your decision!!!

outsiderartist 07-14-2005 06:31 AM

I used to print mine out, but that just uses up all my ink, so now I go to Pro-ex. They are about 17 a copy. I think.

debbins 07-14-2005 06:47 AM

I used Winkflash.com recently and was very happy. I paid .12 cents per photo and the shipping was a flat .99 cents!!!! IMO, the quality was very good. I thought the shipping price was very reasonable.

photocropper 07-14-2005 06:58 AM

I actually - against my best judgement - uploaded to walmart and had the one hour processing and the prints were really good - every walmart is different so I would try it with a handful of prints first .....

Other than that I use www.clarkcolor.com - the prints are as low as 9 cents if you prepay (which I always do) and the shipping is not too bad as compared to others... I really liked the prints. If you would like to try them please send me your email address and I will send you a message if you sign up then I will receive free prints!! ;) and that would make me very happy!!:D
OH and they do use Kodak......

crazy2kids 07-14-2005 07:01 AM

I use snapfish.com...Back last year I preordered prints for only 10 cents however there is a drawback is the shipping. Do you have Costco in your area? Pretty reasonable prices. I believe they have costco online now. Check it out! www.costco.com

Goldie

JJBrooks 07-14-2005 07:05 AM

I always use www.shutterfly.com I have used them for 2 years now and no complaints! I love that you can add borders, change from color to B&W, add text etc......from there site. I pre pay so it's cheeper. They offer rewards all the time. Every time I spend so much (can't remember how much) they add credit to my account for FREE pics. I spend about $50 a month at least printing pictures and I love the quality it's the best I have found yet. IMO. Hope this helps!

Kauai17 07-14-2005 07:12 AM

I get mine done at Walgreens. I wait until they have a special going where if you print out 50 or more they are only .19! But the guys know us so they always don't charge us the full amount and they always throw in a free CD with our pics on it. However I just looked up clarkscolor and that looks like a good deal. I am going to show my DH when he gets home tonight. Shelley you might send me an email too so you can get credit!

mamaof3insd 07-14-2005 07:23 AM

we like shutterfly.com

you get a better rate when you pre-pay for the pics. and the quality is good too.

saltycatco 07-14-2005 07:27 AM

I use www.scrapbookpictures.com.

The pictures are outstanding quality. You can crop them, add borders, and the part I like the best is that sizes they offer. I do mostly 6x6 books so I get pics in 2x2, 3x3, 2x3, etc. Really awesome! Shipping is a flat $2 for any size order anywhere in the US and they are very quick. I placed an order on Thursday - it arrived by Monday (from West coast to East coast).

They also use Kodak paper and have 3 different finishes to choose from.

HTH!

stampysister 07-14-2005 07:36 AM

I'm also a winkflash customer.

Please don't take this wrong. I'm not trying to criticize you, but just offer you some more info that has influenced my decision. I don't know if this matters to you, but I was recently on a scrap board, and the Fiji paper that winkflash uses has actually been tested and proven to produce longer lasting prints. It's all a bit fresh yet, but up against Kodak they had a distinct advantage in longevity. This is the reason winkflash uses the fuji crystal archive paper. I don't know if the colors are different with Kodak or anything, but I am a scrapper and I work for longevity.

Before digital, I got all my prints at Costco, but this way I don't have to even go down to the store. I love it.

Good Luck in your decision.

photocropper 07-14-2005 07:37 AM

Price comparison

I based all the prices on 400 prints (cuz I prepay at clarkcolor and I purchase a ton at a time so it works for me)

SO:
Based on the prices provided online and does not include the free prints- for 400 prints plus shipping:
Clarkcolor.com $48.17 Kodak paper

Winkflash $48.99 Fuji paper

Snapfish $68.35 Kodak paper

dotphoto $83.99 Kodak paper (thanks HappyRaspberry:)

shutterfly $105.99 Fuji paper

scrapbookpictures $74 Kodak

I say go to each one and get the free prints and see which one you like the best ;)

chelseacat 07-14-2005 10:13 AM

yorkphoto.com has a deal going on right now with 4x6 prints at 10 cents a photo. i ordered a bunch from there for an album i did recently and i really thought they looked great.

emilymomto3boys 07-14-2005 10:30 AM

Okay, here's my deal then.

BTW, thank you so much for all your tips and suggestions.

I can deal with the paper. BUT, I don't always take the best pics - color wise. Winkflash didn't adjust the color on my pics at all. Does anyone know if any of these do that? Kind of an autocorrection for color?

MonTigg 07-14-2005 10:44 AM

Costco! You can even edit and upload from home now and then go pick up in the store!

micmse 07-14-2005 10:57 AM

Just an FYI a new study of picture life showed that Fuji paper will last longer than Kodak. I was totally shocked when I read it in Creating Keepsakes. I also noticed that more and more places are using Fuji instead of Kodak.

Stephanie

AmandaCalloway 07-14-2005 11:13 AM

I have been using Sams for a long time. Too long to count. They do an awesome job and the price is right for me. You can upload from home and then pick up. I think it is 18 cents. I have so many pictures on my computer now I think I might try one of the sights listed and have them at my door!

stampingdenise 07-14-2005 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boys
I can deal with the paper. BUT, I don't always take the best pics - color wise. Winkflash didn't adjust the color on my pics at all. Does anyone know if any of these do that? Kind of an autocorrection for color?

Well, that's sort of complex. There are two issues: one is manual color correction on the part of the photofinisher. Some places do it and some places don't. But I suspect the problem is more that your photofinisher isn't keeping on top of keeping their chemicals fresh and that's why you have color problems. (That's the second issue.) In other words, it's their problem, not yours. If you take your negatives to three different photofinishers and ask for reprints, you'll probably get three different results, and none of them probably did ANY color correction to them. Most consumer places don't bother with that. If you go to a local photofinsiher that also does professional processing, you are more likely to find them willing to do color correction. Anyway, I don't think that's the problem. I think it's a quality control issue with the equipment they are using. Some places are notorious for using their chemicals way beyond what they should, and that's why you get funky colors. Others are very good about keeping up. Sams/Walmart come to mind... they offer (usually) some of the best quality.

It would be interesting to send the same set of files to several different photo finishers and see what results you get.

auntytriss 07-14-2005 12:28 PM

I primarily go to Costco. I can upload my pictures online and then I go and pick them up there. I always order the matte finish, and the one picture I have in front of me right now is fuji. I know that they do kodak processing there - so I wonder if it's an option you can choose. If I want things delivered, then I use clubphoto.com. It's a site like shutterfly, where you can store and share your pictures and also order prints. I can't figure out what the paper type is - I use clubphoto when I'm sending pictures to my mom or mainland relatives. They say the quality is really good, but again, I'm not sure of the paper type. Hope this helps! :)

stampysister 07-14-2005 12:39 PM

In a review I read, the person uploaded the same 5 pics to like 10 different on line sources and then compared each service on multiple counts, including features they offered, cost, quality of print, color accuracy, and even the packaging they arrived in (believe me, this can help as the mailman at my house can't seem to get it into his thick skull that he shouldn't force my envelopes labled "photos-do not bend" into my mail box!). She prefered Winkflash and that is why I went with them.

But like her, I think you would be best to do the same. Choose 5 pics that are representative of your photography style and upload them to all the different ones and get some samples. Then you'll find out what you like. While some things are objective (the purples should be purple), some of it is subjective, like the weight of the paper it is printed on. Some will like one feel; some will like another.

CK endorsed shutterfly. I prefer winkflash. I have a friend who swears by ofoto. I hope you find what you are looking for. I was intrigued by the listing for scrapbookphotos.com They are more expensive, but they seem to have a lot of specialty stuff and I might want to use them for my nicer pics.

Good Luck

deborahtx 07-14-2005 01:57 PM

I usually do old fashioned film, when I do use the digital I get them printed at walmart.com. I have been very pleased and it gives me an excuse to go.
Deborah

Andrea Jackson 07-14-2005 02:12 PM

I use mpix.com for most of my higher quality photos like I do, such as senior pictures and wedding. Their prices are slighty higher for the smaller prints, but a lot cheaper for the larger prints. They ship directly to you and have a fixed shipping price if I remember correctly. These are really nice prints. Maybe they would be better though for the larger prints?
~Andrea