Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2005, 07:39 PM   #1  
Duchess of Dork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bubble is burst: was: Need to combine 50's w/ 50th anniversary

My parents' 50th anniversary is in August. My niece is going to coordinate it with me. She's really good at this stuff. She asked if we could do a 50's theme since they were married in 55 (can't get much more 50's than that!). I told her it's fine, but I DO want the gold theme still there. She said, "Oh, I didn't know you already had that in mind." I ASSURED her it was fine to do the 50's theme & think it will be really fun, but want to tie in the Gold colors.

I am creating the invitations. I want to print their wedding pic on the front & put vellum over it w/ 'you're invited'. I also want this to have the 50's feel to it somehow, without having to do a TON of stamping, embossing, etc. Here are the words for the inside:

On August 20, 1955, a small town sailor from Texas married a city girl from Massachusetts.
On August 20, 2005, they will celebrate 50 years of marriage!

The children and grandchildren of
George and Jan Smith
invite you to a reception to
celebrate this occasion with us.

Date: August 20, 2005 Time: 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Please join us as we stroll down memory lane and reflect on the first 50 years of George and Jan�s marriage.

We�ll relive a time when it was cool to be a CAT,
When being HIP was cool,
And when COOL first meant great!

You�ll want to lay a patch, Daddy-O, to this bash.
RSVP: (yada, yada, yada)

How would you tie in gold & 50's to this? Also, as far as table items, is there anything I can stamp for this? We won't do a dinner w/ place cards, but might have those disposable cameras & want a note up to please use them. It's a 2-4 in the afternoon reception, and NOT formal. Dad said CASUAL!!!

THanks!

Lori

Last edited by Chef Mama; 05-15-2005 at 03:49 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

You know classic convertibles might work for this and make it a "solid gold cadillac" (there is no cadillac in the set but who will notice, every guy in the room that's who ) which was the name of a movie from the 50's (Judy Holiday and Broderick Crawford were in it). You could then make something to run down the table with old film strip or something like that trimming it out in gold and make cards that say help us capture the memories with the cameras. You could also stamp the convertibles on those cards you are placing with cameras. If you have a way of putting your mom and dad's picture kind of sitting in the car that would be even better.
And all of you hosting could dress in 50's style which would make you more visible to the guests that don't know you and that would be helpful too.

I just thought of another "idea" just use all the cars and on the table decorations and make it progession of their life make it look like a road map and use pictures (duplicates not the originals please) and put additions in the cars like add pictures when a child was born etc. that would be really neat.

Last edited by mightymouse; 05-15-2005 at 04:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 08:19 PM   #3  
Sassy Shani

OMG mightymouse had some fabulous ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #4  
Duchess of Dork

Great ideas! Yeah, my dh would notice it's not a cadilac---but I'd have no clue! He can also tell you, from inside the house) what kind of airplane is flying over us. Is that weird or what????

I'll pass these ideas along to my niece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 08:58 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Lori,
I just did a 25th anniversary and did the invites like you are talking. But, I did the picture on the vellum with the invite info. I used silver moire cardstock. They also have it in gold! I folded over the top of the cardstock punched a hole in both the cardstock and the vellum and tied it with silver speckled tulle. Since tulle was big in the 50's as crinoline's under the poodle skirts, you could use the gold speckled tulle. If you would like a pic to figure out what I just said...PM me and I'll forward one. HTH
Jeri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,017 Likes on 870 Posts
Default 50eth

Could you do a card like this- less formal - use the Maduzia Magic in the background that shows thru the vellum??? With a you're invited at the top with a car embossed lower??? Just a thought...
Emboss with white EP and do polished stone over it, reheat the places where the embossing is under the Polished stone and it reappears..... this one has metallic rub ons over the words.....
Please post whatever you come up with!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,017 Likes on 870 Posts
Default 50eth

I forgot the link to the card from the above post:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 11:25 AM   #8  
Duchess of Dork

That's pretty! Is maduzia magic the technique you described (the polished stone w/ ep under it?) or something else? Thanks!

Lori

Last edited by Chef Mama; 05-15-2005 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #9  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidty
Could you do a card like this- less formal - use the Maduzia Magic in the background that shows thru the vellum??? With a you're invited at the top with a car embossed lower??? Just a thought...
Emboss with white EP and do polished stone over it, reheat the places where the embossing is under the Polished stone and it reappears..... this one has metallic rub ons over the words.....
Please post whatever you come up with!

Shelly
Would you do the polished stone on vellum or glossy white? I've never done embossing w/ polished stone. that sounds cool!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #10  
Duchess of Dork

Well, my MIL asked if my mom WANTED a 50's theme, so I went ahead & called. She & Dad both said NO. They weren't "into" the whole 50's thing she says. She was IN the 50's! ANyway, my niece & i had our bubble burst, but we'll do what they want. My mom would like it more formal, while my dad's comment was, "We don't have money for decorations." First, we don't expect him to pay. 2nd, he would be just as happy sitting outside smoking cigars & throwing horseshoes. So, I'll go for the original GOLD theme I'd planned!

We still MIGHT do a 50's thing for the "party after the party" at their house. Maybe do a song from each decade---50's, then 60's, 70's, etc. My brother & sis in law are great singers & my bro sounds like Paul McCartney doing Beatles songs.

THAnks for all your help.

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

A fun decorating idea would be to go to an old record store and buy some used LP's and put circle pictures of your parents through the years where the labels are. They could be placed on each table or on the walls somehow.
For my parents 50th we stuck to the traditional gold theme. It was spring so for the centerpieces I spray painted large flower pots gold filling them with tissue and green moss. I attached photos of my folks through the years onto long candy sticks wrapped in floral tape and put them in like flowers. Each immediate family member got to take one home. You could use ice cream sundae glasses or something from a diner and place pictures where the ice cream would be. Just thinking out loud here. Sorry if I,m rambling.
Good luck in your planning. I'm sure they will love it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes