Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2006, 09:52 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice from SU DEMOS!!

Hi everyone - Karen from Australia checkin in!!

Since SU is on its way to Australia (just excuse me while I cartwheel with excitement!!!!) and I am determined to be the first Aussie demo, what advice would you give to me in order to have a successful business!! I am sure theres gotta be some gals out there who have some great advice for me to take on board!! Fire away - Im alllllll ears!!

Stampin hugs

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I think the most important thing is to Have FUN!!!

Second, think of what you would want from a demo, and BE that demo to your customers.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's some random thoughts: If you are in it to make money, treat it like a "real" job. Have a business plan, written out with goals. Go back to the plan every month and see how you are doing. Keep good records and be prepared at tax time. Market yourself everywhere -- friends, co workers, neighbors, real estate agents, anyone who breathes and can hold a stamp! Be willing to invest some $$ in order to make money. You should accept credit cards, and get an SU website. However, don't go crazy buying up every shade of paper, etc. You don't have to have much more than the starter kit to get started. At first your profits will go back into the business.

Ask your friends, etc. for advice (everyone likes to give advice). What would appeal to them? What would turn them off? Are they into scrapbooking? Cards?

Offer a variety of things --workshops and classes and stamp camps. Charge for the last 2. Don't give away the catalog for free -- if you really need to get it around have people pay for it and give them a coupon good for a certain amount towards their first purchase.

Try to get some stamper clubs going, where folks agree to buy a certain amount per month and share hostess bennies. Once you have a decent base of customers, recruit. The real way to make $$ is to have a good base of customers and a huge downline!

Thank your "really good" customers. Treat them well. Send them a thank you card once in a while. Offer something free or a discount on occasion. (Not everyone agrees with this, so weigh the pros and cons and there are some cons.) Let them know when you place their order and when they can expect delivery. Place the orders quickly and deliver the product quickly. If you need to return a product, do it right away.

Demo SU paper and other products side by side with other companies' products. The paper will sell itself. It is the best I've found. Be honest with your customers. Earn their loyalty.

Hand out an "anonymous" evaluation form after a workshop. Keep it short and multiple choice. Get feedback -- why didn't they buy or why did they buy? What did they like about the event? Any suggestions on how you can improve your presentation? Anyone who turns one in gets something -- a chance at drawing at the end of the evening for something cheap, like 3 pieces of cardstock or an incentive stamp. This will help you out in the beginning.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 02:43 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Karen,

I'm not an SU demo, but I was a Pampered Chef consultant for years, so I'll share what worked for me. First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I know you ladies in Australia have been dying for SU to come - your wait is finally over! Woohoo!

I found that in direct sales, you really need to keep a balance if you want your business to succeed. I had a tendency, because of my temperament, to give too much away. People LOVE getting something for free, even if it's a trinket. I always gave something special to my hostess, and did a door prize drawing. If you can find some things like that to do without "breaking the bank", it'll take you far! I think SU lends itself to that a little better than PChef did for me. You could stamp labels for those miniature candy bars and give those away. When I've hosted workshops, my demo has always given me an incentive stamp, as well as all the samples she did in her demonstration.

I never had difficulty with "bookings" - in fact, I had more shows than I could handle most of the time! I really think it was because I was approachable. I never set myself off behind the table. I mingled and talked with the guests before the demo. I also made it a point to make each demonstration FUN!! Let's face it, who wants to sit through a boring demonstration? I used a lot of anecdotes and humor as I presented. THAT will make people want to have a workshop - if they know their friends will have fun! I also didn't pressure people to book a party. That will be easier for you because SU doesn't do the hostess-gets-credit-for-bookings thing.
Karen, I sure hope some of this is helpful. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer. I think I can speak for all of your SCS sisters when I say, I look forward to hearing of your enormous success! GOOD LUCK!!!!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 05:34 AM   #5  
8 Cow Woman

BTW--SU is coming to Australia this spring(for us North Americans)/autumn (for you guys!).

So it's going to be there quickly!! Look for ads in your scrapping mags and watch for info here!

Good luck! It's totally fun and an awesome opportunity for you guys!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #6  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Default I think canadian demos have found

I think Canadian demos have found the the best perk is that you are able to sign up yourself then spread the word and get lots of downline under you. There will be tons of interested customers for everyone and no saturation problems. I say you have big potential to get lots of downline AND lots of personal sales so that is what will make you very successful. You could be crossing the stage as a "Rising Star" at Convention! Good luck!
You should contact SU! and see if there is a way that you could actually be demo number 1 in Australia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you so much ladies for taking the time to reply to me - I am just sooooooooo excited that SU are going to land on our shores and they are guaranteed to spread like wild fire here - cause there is nothing like it here at all!!

I look foward to having heaps of fun with their products and sharing what I love with family friends and anyone else who will listen to me! lol

If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to add it and I will check back here often!

Cheers

Aussie Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

the only thing that concerns me with all this is the freight costs. my understanding is that there is only going to be an office here. freight would be a killer, ask any tlc consultant here in oz!

www.alisatilsner.com - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes