Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   When is it time to let go? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/when-time-let-go-621371/)

Catherine773 11-25-2017 08:15 PM

When is it time to let go?

There are so many crafting things that are easy for me to part with - especially when I know it's going to kids who will just be delighted to use them! I am continually de-stashing my excessive hoard of scrapbooking supplies and older Stampin Up and other brand wood stamps. I had (well maybe... I still have) this problem of buying back ups to back ups of things i really love.

So... for some things, it's really simple because when I just look at them, I just know, it's time to let go, like you, little brads and snaps. Goodbye patterned papers I can't believe I ever liked. Or popping pastels. Or ribbon buckle looking things. Or thin bakers twine. And embellishments that in reality, I have just outgrown.

Primarily though, I donate my backs up (aka my very well organized and hidden hoarding of) things I really like. Since i buy multiples, I've come to realize how unnecessary it is. But am very happy kids and teachers benefit from my repeated moments of fear that something will break or I will lose it, so I need a back up.

Then there is of course those items that I absolutely love and can't imagine parting with.

But then I have a lot of items ... that I get anxious about the idea of parting with, like maybe I'll want to use in the future, but in reality, I haven't used even now. And most of what I'm talking about here... are clear stamp sets. Never used, totally adorable, but untouched. I have so so many and not enough time to use them all.

I fortunately have a large craft room and I LOVE LOVE LOVE organizing... in another life I was a professional organizer. And an early education teacher. And Jennifer McGuire, lol. But there are some items I hope to use one day, but don't know that I will when new stuff is coming out so often.

When do you know it's time to say goodbye?

I have a lot of new stuff coming my way from this weekends sales and instead of buying another spinner or two, I want to part with current stamp sets. But how do I decide which ones?

I learned my lesson about cardstock colors. I don't part with my SU colors anymore. Because I find that often times a few years later, I fall in love with a color that I used to dislike (or at times, hate) that I had several packs of, but gave away. Fortunately eBay tends to have those kinds of things for when I changed my mind. But now I hang on to them.

But stamp sets? Some of these brands aren't even in existence anymore. If I part with them.. the chances of me finding them again... like The Alley Way stamps, There She Goes, Craft Lounge, My Cute Stamps... it's slim to none. Once they are gone, they are gone.

In your experience... how do you when it's time to let go? (I say this with a little bit of chuckle because I sound so dramatic when I'm well aware there are much bigger problems in the world and in my life than this.)

Thanks in advance for sharing your words of wisdom with parting with items you still like but haven't used!!!

southgirl 11-26-2017 04:49 AM

No kidding, I just walked by a stack of crafting stuff (paper clay and their molds, plastic organizing bins, acrylic paint, completed projects, etc...) and thought that I really need to get rid of this stuff. I never know. Maybe when I find the right home.

cobby 11-26-2017 05:25 AM

Well....there is the idea that “ if you haven’t used it in a year (or two)...get rid of it”...because you probably aren’t going to at this point. But that sounds like hollow advice for someone who routinely buys multiples of things “just in case”. My first suggestion would be to box up all the sets you haven’t used yet, don’t see yourself using anytime soon, and are from companies that no longer exist. Put all those discontinued items in one box, label it well then find someplace else in your house, out of the way, for the box to live. This gets it out of your craft space but addresses your anxiety that they are “irreplaceable”.
The idea is that if you don’t go looking for them in a year you can pass them on to others because you have “moved on” in your creative endeavors.

This idea can work for all your crafting supplies. Anything you haven’t used, or haven’t used in a long time. If it’s hard to take it from your craft room and directly give it away...this is like a step down process to make parting with it easier.

I used to have a hard time purging too. But eventually I was getting weighed down mentally with so much “stuff”. Plus, I use a part of my bedroom for my craft stuff and only have so much space. Once I began getting rid of stuff and could organize what I wanted to keep better, I felt “lighter”. It helped my crafting mojo come back.

Plus, as you say, you have a bunch of new stuff arriving. There is always “new stuff”. And a lot of times, if you get rid of something that you then wish you still had a year or two later; it’s because you see examples of cards using stamps like what you had, but updated style wise. So you will want the newest, freshest version of say...snowflake stamps.

Good luck! It can be really difficult to be more of a crafter than a hoarder/organizer of the craft supplies. Something MANY of us struggle with I think.

Rachelrose 11-26-2017 05:32 AM

I think before you can answer this question (or anyone can give you advice/an opinion) you need to know why you want to purge in the first place. You say you are organized and have a large craft room, so it doesn't sound like it's for lack of enough clear space to work. Why do you feel you should perhaps get rid of some things?

gregzgurl 11-26-2017 06:53 AM

I totally hear what you're saying. There are a handful of stamp sets that I gave away eight or more years ago because they were "no longer my style". Guess what? I've circled back around to that style again, and kind of miss them... Guess what else? I'm still alive to tell the tale, I have a plethora of "new and improved" stamps that will work as well (or better), and I'd be hard pressed to tell you specifically what they were - I just have a wave of nostalgia or something when I see them on ebay or Pinterest.

I guess my point is that this isn't as traumatic as some other partings can be. If you truly LOVE them (not just like them), you may want to hang onto them (possibly as Mary has suggested, in a box tucked away somewhere to see if you miss them), but if they're causing guilt or other negative emotions, they're probably not worth it.

I've purged a lot of stuff based on the idea that my children don't need to deal with all of this mess when I'm gone, so if I'm not using it now and none of the kids want it, why bother with it? (This is true of ALL of my possessions, not just craft stuff...)

fifiwesfan 11-26-2017 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelrose (Post 21572917)
I think before you can answer this question (or anyone can give you advice/an opinion) you need to know why you want to purge in the first place. You say you are organized and have a large craft room, so it doesn't sound like it's for lack of enough clear space to work. Why do you feel you should perhaps get rid of some things?

Robin, interesting advice. As I was reading through the comments on this thread I was thinking of the times I purge anything and its usually when I'm mad/upset about something, something important, not like I had a regular bad day at the office. I've noticed that pattern before but never really gave it hard thought - perhaps I'm subconsciously turning a negative into a positive. After I'm done (whether its craft supplies, old clothes, etc.) I always feel better and like I've accomplished something, like while I couldn't do anything with the problem I still had control over something else. It takes my mind off the problem, as well.

Joan B 11-26-2017 07:00 AM

I purge when the amount of stuff makes me anxious. That happens 2-3 times a year. I'll give away or toss stuff until I feel like I can breathe!

Rachelrose 11-26-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfan (Post 21572952)
Robin, interesting advice. As I was reading through the comments on this thread I was thinking of the times I purge anything and its usually when I'm mad/upset about something, something important, not like I had a regular bad day at the office. I've noticed that pattern before but never really gave it hard thought - perhaps I'm subconsciously turning a negative into a positive. After I'm done (whether its craft supplies, old clothes, etc.) I always feel better and like I've accomplished something, like while I couldn't do anything with the problem I still had control over something else. It takes my mind off the problem, as well.

And that is an interesting and useful self observation.

Catherine773 11-26-2017 08:52 AM

Your answers already have been so helpful!!! I almost feel like crying. I seriously thought this was simply a crafting question when I asked it last night!

Why if I have the space and I'm organized... do I feel all this internal pressure to part with things suddenly?

I have a lot happening right now in my life... a lot changing.... and I was just saying a week ago to someone, it's like I'm almost afraid to be happy right now. I've mentioned this in other posts, but my father is not well. I'm losing him a little more each day. My younger sister (she is 35) has an ultrasound for a mass in her breast next week. Both my grandmother and my aunt had breast cancer and we lost both of them to it. And my sister and I have always been best friends. I'm newly single. And just so many other things too are going on. (Life I know for everyone!)

My craft room right is my only escape. It makes me so happy. But for some reason right now, it's causing me anxiety. Like i need to get rid of stuff. It almost makes me too happy so I need to start to parting with things.

Very interesting ladies.

There are definitely good points all around. I think this is definitely related to things going on around me that I'm losing or are scared to lose. And also - I could absolutely put some of these stamps in a box and put them out of sight and see how I feel later. Even in a month. That is such a good idea! And if I'm not 75% sure I want it... donate them to little kids, which always fills my heart with joy to do.

Now that I think about all this - it probably explains why I went overboard with craft supply shopping this weekend. I have a tendency to do that when I'm going through things in my heart but don't really realize I' struggling.. until my wallet is empty. I think I need to post an apology on the demo forum here... I might have overreacted about the SU extravaganza sale now that I think about it. LOL.

Thank you everyone already, I mean it. I feel like I just had an epiphany. And I need to remember, it's ok to feel happy. Horrible and sad things are always going to happen. Try to enjoy the time in between.

I know this all may sound terribly dramatic for a question about when to part with crafting supplies.. but I think all of you are spot on. With the suggestions on how to do this on a practical level and what is going on behind the scenes too.

Lots of love and thanks to each of you!!!

buggainok 11-26-2017 09:25 AM

This is such an interesting thread, and I read and appreciated everyone's replies. When we dig a little deeper, we find out that "stuff" is not just "stuff" but sometimes represents our feelings and emotions in ways we hadn't thought about.:)

wavejumper 11-26-2017 02:31 PM

Then my suggestion to you is not to get rid of anything. It wont change anything you mentioned. (of course neither will buying ;)

How about this? How about you make something positive? Like cards for a charity?
Turn on happy music or calm music-and go for it. Or just make some BGs with some technique you enjoy. You can use them later. Just color in a book. Just to do it.

OR...just dont go in the room right now. No law says you have to make cards daily.
You DO have an incredible amount going on right now. You have every right to be stressed out imho. Hot baths and good movies or a book sound good to me. You need to unplug your brain for a few hours or you wont get any good sleep and that will just become a self fueling hot mess. You might consider seeing someone just for the next 6 months or so for support. Maybe take up yoga/meditation.

(((((strength)))) mojo to you. Be nice to yourself. Accept your limits. We are all only human. :)

DianeinSparks 11-26-2017 02:44 PM

I started going through my almost 30 years of stamps last year since I had no more space for new items. I was also going through numerous surgeries for breast cancer and this took my mind off that. What I did was start with my wood stamps, 10-12 at a time and I stamped images and colored them. I found some that I loved and they went back in the drawer, others I was happy with the 4-6 images I stamped and colored and will use for cards and the stamp will be given away or donated. And there were quite a few that I found that I hated coloring and they immediately went into the donation box! I'm 1/3 of the way done with the wood stamps and then will start on the cling and then the clear. Hopefully, by the end of 2018 I'll be done and have lots of colored images to use and room for new stamps.

Dorie95 11-26-2017 03:07 PM

This time of the year is hard for me. I'm sad. That's all there is to it. So, no purging or giving my stuff away. I'm keeping everything I have!

But when I'm mad about something or someone, I purge like crazy. Grab a huge black trash bag and throw stuff in it. Close it up, take it to the trash and never look back.

I do donate, make card kits for my grandkids to make cards with, share my stash with my cousin (who also shares with me).

I'm old, I pretty much know my moods by now. Ups and downs. In's and out's. It's all part of the life game. Tomorrow will be another day. Yesterday is over and gone. blah, blah, blah. :)

Take care of yourself, please. Hugs to you and yours.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spl...c73c52b081.gif

bjeans 11-26-2017 03:28 PM

Like Fifiwesfan alluded to, when difficult and uncontrollable Life, capital L, hits, my craft room is one area in my life I can control, clean out, make airy and "smilable. Taking action feels energizing and a relief, even when I can't take action to fix the unfixable.

Plus in general I'm not happy when there are too many maybe-someday items, or items I'm talking myself into (others love X so you should, I bought this for a reason, blah blah). Lovely or funny or ________ does not always equal usable.

So whether the initial empetus is Life, not crafts, or just an energy-sapping feeling of having too much that's un-loved or un-used, the outcome is positive. On a pragmatic note, I've [finally] learned to keep a donate box in the room so as I leaf through anything, if something doesn't resonate, in it goes.

BTW, I did a huge craft/office purge recently. And it's led to more purging elsewhere in the house and feels good.

Catherine, thank you so much for this thread and for everyone's wonderful responses. What a cool community.

Beth

maryalena 11-27-2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeans (Post 21573210)
Like Fifiwesfan alluded to, when difficult and uncontrollable Life, capital L, hits, my craft room is one area in my life I can control, clean out, make airy and "smilable. Taking action feels energizing and a relief, even when I can't take action to fix the unfixable.

Plus in general I'm not happy when there are too many maybe-someday items, or items I'm talking myself into (others love X so you should, I bought this for a reason, blah blah). Lovely or funny or ________ does not always equal usable.

So whether the initial empetus is Life, not crafts, or just an energy-sapping feeling of having too much that's un-loved or un-used, the outcome is positive. On a pragmatic note, I've [finally] learned to keep a donate box in the room so as I leaf through anything, if something doesn't resonate, in it goes.

BTW, I did a huge craft/office purge recently. And it's led to more purging elsewhere in the house and feels good.

Catherine, thank you so much for this thread and for everyone's wonderful responses. What a cool community.

Beth

This is all it for me. Relief is the word I would use. Knowing stuff goes to a good home and will be used is a big incentive. Knowing it sits year after year is a heavy feeling. When I purge stamping stuff it leads to purging other things like dead shoes. This is always a helpful topic. I�m reminded that it�s why I have been just sitting and staring at my messy desk and not creating anything.

jukie 11-27-2017 07:58 AM

I have a very large, very well stocked craftroom, and it has become overwhelming. The 'stuff' is going into the room, but not much is coming out. Yesterday I spent 2 hours going through some of my 'organised' boxes (aka stuff that is in boxes to make it look tidy and organised, and haven't been touched in years). 'Oh what's this? OH I forgot about that? Oh that is hideous! OH that's where it is!' could be heard for those two hours.

I have a friend who is a single mum, struggling with a 14 year old girl who thinks her mum and the world owe her a favour, the one thing that this 14 years actually seems to enjoy/like, is art and crafting! so at every opportunity I always ensure some or all of her birthday and Christmas gifts are art and craft related.

I found two big empty boxes (think twice the size of a shoe box, and 4 times the size of a shoe box) and as I was going through this 'stuff', I divided the stash either putting 1/2, 3/4 or all what I found in those boxes. I asked myself the question are you going to use this above all else in this room in the next 12 months, considering you have not seen it in the last 12,24,36 months if the answer was no, straight in the box, if the answer was maybe, is there more than one (shimmery card stock, holographic card stock etc) if there was more then one I kept 1 the rest went in a box, if there was only one, I put it in a box, as it wasn't a straight up yes:rolleyes:.

I filled those two boxes, and I had a bit of a tidy up....would anyone else be able to tell stuff has gone....lol no, but I do.

And I know that the normally monosyllabic, shoulder shrugging, snarling teenager is going to have something to make her smile for Christmas and her birthday:D:cool:

maryalena 11-27-2017 08:50 AM

I like the idea of a holding box. I now have a box where tougher choices stuff goes to “rest” in another room. I can usually part with most of the maybe stuff after it has vacationed there for a little while. Overnight guests are an incentive to get it permanently out the door. A hobby that doesn’t involve purchasing and collecting would be better but I can’t think of one.

PMR 11-27-2017 09:02 AM

Thanks for this thread. I just did another small purge. I have been donating to a fellow scs-er. For me I have to buy less! I went through punches, I have been using dies instead. My stamps are mostly uncounted. I have a huge pile of pictures to organize. I need to do that soon before we get a Christmas tree.

I like the idea of a holding box, so you have time to think about an item before just getting rid of it.

dawnmercedes 11-27-2017 10:21 AM

I have little nieces, nephews and cousins who I send my bits and pieces, unused, unloved items too..they love it. And that means they send me cards back in the mail! haha

bjeans 11-28-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalena (Post 21573592)
I like the idea of a holding box. I now have a box where tougher choices stuff goes to �rest� in another room. I can usually part with most of the maybe stuff after it has vacationed there for a little while. Overnight guests are an incentive to get it permanently out the door. A hobby that doesn�t involve purchasing and collecting would be better but I can�t think of one.

I have a slightly different version of a holding box. It's visible and with craft supplies I use. That way I glance at things in it fairly often, which causes me to re-visit if something should stay or go. This box is more for consumables, mediums, not stamps/dies. There's another small box just behind my stamp bins for those.

I've learned if I don't have boxes handy for donations, supplies they stay where they are, or land on my desk or table and earn the name Clutter.

I'm afraid if I don't semi-frequently look at the "maybes," that when I finally do it will be too exciting. New stuff! :shock:

These days I'm in a "when in doubt send it out" phase, but that wouldn't be right for everyone. We're all different-ish.

Rachelrose 11-28-2017 12:53 PM

I did a very major and effective purge a year ago, and yet am finding there are still things that I'm not using because I forget I have them. Like collage papers, mulberry papers, maps, book pages and the like - I have them nicely separated in drawers and even labeled, but this method (while perfect for someone else) is not in sync with how I work. I never know where I am going to end up when I start something and I am always surprised.

I can see I would be better off piling it all in a few deep drawers really near to hand (I know - some of you are cringing at the mere idea of that), because then I'd go through different things every time I opened one and not be relying on myself to think "how about some mulberry paper here?" Better to say "I need something here, lets see what I have."

I'm saying this because my first thought when I did use some of my papers recently was that maybe I should have purged them since I don't use them. But then I thought some more and realized I actually love them. That's why a "wait and see" box is a good idea in many cases. Or rethinking how you store them. Then wait and see.

Knowing your own process is so important. Accepting your own process is so important. Again, another example of how talking about anything less nuts-and-bolts than "where can I buy...?" can take you right into bigger issues that resonate across other arenas of your life.

bjeans 11-28-2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelrose (Post 21574341)
I did a very major and effective purge a year ago, and yet am finding there are still things that I'm not using because I forget I have them. Like collage papers, mulberry papers, maps, book pages and the like - I have them nicely separated in drawers and even labeled, but this method (while perfect for someone else) is not in sync with how I work. I never know where I am going to end up when I start something and I am always surprised.

I can see I would be better off piling it all in a few deep drawers really near to hand, because then I'd go through different things every time I opened one and not be relying on myself to think "how about some mulberry paper here?" Better to say "I need something here, lets see what I have."

I'm saying this because my first thought when I did use some of my papers recently was that maybe I should have purged them since I don't use them. But then I thought some more and realized I actually love them. That's why a "wait and see" box is a good idea in many cases.

Knowing your own process is so important. Accepting your own process is so important. Again, another example of how talking about anything less nuts-and-bolts than "where can I buy...?" can take you right into bigger issues that resonate across other arenas of your life.

What you said - in bold blue - so resonates because it is just how I work, so location and accessibility is key.

We can read in threads how some people think color first, and others objects, and others some other way, but it has to fit our brain path or our stuff or mojo can get lost.

My recent mega purge prompted a reorg and questions. Why is _______ on the bookcase in prime real estate when I rarely use it? Why is _______ within arm's reach of where I die cut when I haven't had a space for a new item used for die cutting? How do I store heavy _______ given that I hate moving two things to get to the one at the bottom, and leafing is how I roll?

Some of the answers are easy duhs. But others I have to re-visit multiple times, especially when something has been in one place for so long it's kind of like the wall - hard to imagine moving it.

The the fine-tuning I'm doing would be a waste of time and nonsensical for some people, and they'd be 100% right for them. Crafter know theyself?

Beth

P.S. My apologies for the crazy extra lines between paragraphs. That's the Chrome issue on the website.

gregzgurl 11-28-2017 03:01 PM

Beth: those "crazy extra lines between" can be removed if you hit "edit" right after you post, then go in and delete them. I have the same problem and never know if or where they're going to show up until I actually post.

Also Beth: I'm CONSTANTLY tweaking my organization/storage/whatever and my husband gives me a hard time about it, but I know it's necessary (just like you) until that glorious day when everything is finally working the way it's supposed to! His favorite thing to say when I ask him where something is: "You organized it..."

Catherine773: Thank you so much for starting this thread! Even though a lot of it is "not new" information, ALL of it is good to remind us of what we do and possible reasons for why we do it and possible ways to do it better...

Everyone else: THANK YOU for all of the input! Great reading/pondering...maybe even putting into practice...?

missy3840 11-29-2017 03:21 AM

I have recently begun reorganizing and working in my craft room after 2 years of not touching it. There are a bunch of things I bought to use and never did. I'm also at that point of thinking "why do i still have this?" so what i'm doing is making myself use whatever it is, to see if it is something i'm going to like.

For me its more about technique supplies like smooch inks (eh, kinda dried up, threw them out), gelatos (tried them once, wasn't impressed but can't bring myself to ditch them yet so i'm MAKING myself use them again, still undecided if i'll keep or pass them on), embellishments (making cards to give away at work so yeah, they come in handy for an easy POP). Still cant' figure out what much to do with my stash of 20 perfect pearls bottles but I have fallen in love all over again with alcohol inks & twinkling H2O's.

Sometimes its a matter of forcing the issue to see which way you want to go with something but if it's extras, I'd toss most of them & keep a very few.

bjeans 11-29-2017 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy3840 (Post 21574595)
I have recently begun reorganizing and working in my craft room after 2 years of not touching it. There are a bunch of things I bought to use and never did. I'm also at that point of thinking "why do i still have this?" so what i'm doing is making myself use whatever it is, to see if it is something i'm going to like.

For me its more about technique supplies like smooch inks (eh, kinda dried up, threw them out), gelatos (tried them once, wasn't impressed but can't bring myself to ditch them yet so i'm MAKING myself use them again, still undecided if i'll keep or pass them on), embellishments (making cards to give away at work so yeah, they come in handy for an easy POP). Still cant' figure out what much to do with my stash of 20 perfect pearls bottles but I have fallen in love all over again with alcohol inks & twinkling H2O's.

Sometimes its a matter of forcing the issue to see which way you want to go with something but if it's extras, I'd toss most of them & keep a very few.

Good point - sometimes you have to give a medium a chance. For me, learning techniques is the key, on youtube or on-line or real life classes. I love Gelatos, but if I hadn't gone to a techniques class for several mediums I might not be into them.

It doesn't always work. I didn't love Distress crayons, so given away, and a gift of a beautiful Zentangle book and supplies? Noooo. Donated.

Alejandra Costello, a professional organizer/declutterer wrote a piece about clutter (or unused items), and a paragraph struck me:

"It’s also about seeing the opportunity to pass things on to those who need them more. After all, one of the secrets that leads to a fulfilling life is contribution to others. If you have excess clutter, be grateful you have the opportunity to serve. Your unused items could be what someone else desperately needs and could use every day."

If I'm holding on to things (not solely crafty) and kind of know I should let go, I remind myself of the money raised to help animals if I donate to the Life4Animals thrift shop, and the people at a senior center if I give there. It helps.

smadson 11-29-2017 04:25 AM

Great reading this morning! Thank you all for great ideas and pondering. It shows me how many of us are in the same boat! This �craft stuff collecting and constant organizing� is a mutual hobby! LOL

I want to add that the �holding box� idea works! I started adding stamp sets to a large wicker trunk a year ago. I had it full! I let it set in the family room, next to my craft room. The stamp sets were out of site, and the trunk looked like a decorative piece in the family room with the lid closed. Every once in a while I would go dig a stamp set out, use it and decide to keep it, or decide I didn�t like it and put it back in the trunk. This past Summer, I began the un mounting of my wood stamps and if I wasn�t crazy about a stamp set I didn�t want to take the time to mess with it. So into the trunk it went. I began to give sets a way, to young girl interested in starting to stamp , to a fellow SCSer, and finally I sold some at a local craft store garage sale-cheap, like 2-4 dollars each set! It felt good to get them gone, so I am starting the process again. I already have added to the wicker trunk! Happy organizing and purging!

jeanne3579 11-29-2017 05:50 AM

I have what I consider to be a nice-size stamping room. My husband built me cabinets for all my stamps and supplies. I have lots---more than I really need, but I truly love them all. However, every now and then I see stamps I love and want to own. If I can't fit it in the drawer where it should go, then something else has to go. I will go through that particular collection of images and decide which are the keepers and which have to go. I have made up my mind that the space I have is more than enough and I really can't make use of anymore stamps than will fit in the designated area. That being said, there are several drawers that seldom get purged, as I don't use say the safari style stamps or the kanji stamps. Now that I have moved to SW, I am acquiring more stamps to reflect my new area and will soon have to purge some of those beautiful, but totally unused stamps taking up space for ones I will use. So, "no space, something has to go" is my theme.

wavejumper 11-29-2017 06:08 AM

I like the hold box idea.

The point I was trying to make above is I dont like making decisions from an emotional place. For me that doesnt work well. It won't fix what is upsetting me and I tend to be too severe purging and regret it later. This applies to most everything, not just stamps. Sometimes I wonder if I am not punishing myself during the process. But that's getting more deep than we need to here.

The same way it messes with my crafting mojo. Sometimes making a card helps smooth me out and other times I just cant focus.

So a hold box is good compromise imo. Pull it, but decide later when you are calm.

On the other hand if I want a "push" to clear...I just have to watch a hoarding show for about 15 mins before I FLY out of my chair and am in motion pulling stuff. Could be 5 if the situation is bad enough. :shock: lol

I am never going to forget the woman who had the tractor trailers full of stuff she had not even opened the shipping package on of stamps and stuff we saw a couple years ago...was supposed to auction and then didnt...remember that?

Louisa May 11-29-2017 09:00 AM

What a beautiful thread! Catherine773, you could have spent hundreds of dollars for the good advice and shared experience here. I hope all is well with your family and that you experience your craft room as your personal paradise.

mzjohansen 11-29-2017 10:18 AM

I go through phases of de-cluttering.

When I look at a not-used-much item I know if it needs to find a new home. I went through my fabric stash last year and gave away about 6 large black garbage bags full of beautiful batiks to my quilting and sewing friends. It feels so good to lighten the load!

With card making supplies I try to buy things that I know I will like for a long time....but there are always papers that make me wonder "what was I thinking??!!" and they go into a give away pile for my 'paper play days' friends. I love it when friends can enjoy things that no longer delight me.....

In general...I do pay attention to the " if you have not used it in a few years then it go" idea and also the "does it make me happy?" philosophy...

ejluyk 11-29-2017 03:39 PM

OH Dear...we all have the same illness!!! I use a holding box, goes into a spare bedroom. I share some things with family each time I see them and after a few months, I donate it. Feels good to relieve that pressure of too much stuff you are not using!!! Great thread/conversation ...most of the stuff makes me happy. This year has been great for purging all through the house. 2 large garage sales and lots donated. Trying really hard not to fill it all up again!!! I have started keeping a monthly tally of what is being spent on new "stuff"...an eye opener and a helpful control tool....I look at the $$ spent for the month before I purchase. True, everyone has to find their own method of keeping it under control while staying happy and remaining creative.

Broom 11-29-2017 05:17 PM

"It�s also about seeing the opportunity to pass things on to those who need them more. After all, one of the secrets that leads to a fulfilling life is contribution to others. If you have excess clutter, be grateful you have the opportunity to serve. Your unused items could be what someone else desperately needs and could use every day."

That is just what I needed to hear. Thank you for starting this thread and for all the helpful suggestions.

PMR 11-29-2017 05:53 PM

I just read all the newer replies. I get frustrated when I can’t find something that I know I have. I made my Christmas cards without buying anything new other than a New ctmh stamp set. It was a recent stamp of the month. It has 2017 on it so I had to use it. I had such fun making the cards. I volunteer and make crafts with middle schoolers at our local youth center. I just mailed a box of stuff to someone here. The key for me is not adding too much to my collection. My aunt asked me to make place cards for a dinner party she is having. I pulled everything from my stash. They came out really great, if I do say so myself.

My thought is if I enjoy something and can afford it then I’m worth it!

Allistamps123 11-30-2017 05:19 AM

I don't know how many times I've had a box of stamp sets to sell and they've sat in that box for up to a year and all of a sudden I need a set and I think, Do I still have it? Then I panic!

I've pulled maybe five , six sets over time and have been so glad I still had them!

I have so many sets I rarely use but still love! I figure I have the space so it doesn't hurt to keep them.

I have sets I've sold over the years and never missed! If I do not like them any more, off they go!

I don't buy many new sets anymore. I'm mainly SU so that stops me from wanting sets from all over. I have bought quite a few sets from a demo that has a HUGE sale each year with one or two other demos. Gosh I've gotten great stamp sets, ribbon, twine, punches, dsp, etc. from them.

Because of her sales I feel I'm set for life! I really only need to purchase adhesive, rhinestones, and card stock for the rest if my life.

So I don't buy new sets and I sell sets that do NOTHING for me or I dislike!

I agree with the negative emotion or anxious tactic-purge if negative emotions are attached to them! I also agree with the if you have the space, are organized, they bring you happiness, and still love them...keep them!

lylacfey 11-30-2017 10:50 PM

Catherine- hugs to you and your family. You are going through a lot right now. If your anything like me the culling could be a coping mechanism to stress. When I am stressed I get on a decluttering kick. Getting rid of one or two things makes me feel like I have a sense of control of at least one thing in my life.

I am not stressed right now. I am letting go. I decided this year to revamp my room. I have a lovely room. I don't know who that room belongs too. Even though it was lovely it wasn't my room. :) I am in my last stages right now. It has to be done the week of Christmas. Right now I am making upgrade notes.

This will be long. I do hope it helps you or somebody else.

This is how I let go. I laid out my projects that I kept for myself. I looked at every single one and wrote down what I used. I didn't skip anything. I wrote down glues, coloring tools, even the sponges or q-tips I used. After I was done I could see a recurring theme. I took all those things and laid them to the side. That is what I know I will use.

This is probably one of the geekiest things anyone has ever wrote for an organizational tip. I actually did a creative writing exercise of who I am as an artist and where I want to be as an artist. That helped put things in perspective. Then I went into my room and put items aside that I will use.

There is a recurring theme here. I am not decluttering. I am actually holding on to things I will use.

Then I tackled the biggest problem of my room. The furniture! It does not fit me. I had too much and it was a hindrance. This is what has taken me so long to do my room. It's a money thing, lol. I redid all my furniture. Look to see what is the biggest issue of your room and take that on.

After that I went through the rest of my room. It was pretty easy. I am doing the last do over so I can take upgrade notes.

I am really through. I have been fighting with this a long time. I want it done. I also have a husband who announced to me he is building not one but three workshops and revamping our garage next year. I am happy in my small room, lol.

Last week I culled through my stamps again. I really, really looked at them. I am not going to use a lot of those stamp sets. They are not even my style. I have a emotional issues with them. Hey, least I admit this, lol. I put all my favorites to the side. Then I took my emotional problems and my husband helped me with them. My DH has a good eye for things like this. Even though he said so many of them were pretty they were not even me. He said "Did you buy this to make your Mother a card?" I am like "Yes!" holding head down. I recently got rid of my gaslighting Mom out of my life. Best thing I ever did for myself. She is still in my freakin room. :)

I got rid over half my stamps. I am so proud of that. I only have my favorites left. I did get rid of rare things I won't find again. Now it is time for somebody else to find them.

Last the holding box. I have one too. I think that is smart crafting. I am going down to one e-cutter and manual die cutter. I am packing away my Cameo and either my BigShot or Cuttlebug. Still deciding on that. I am packing away my bookbinding supplies because I won't be binding next year. It is a love but it's not a love I want to just set around in my room dusting it when I am not currently using it. I know where it is if I need it. I do go through my holding box once a year, usually around Christmas. I get rid of things I have upgraded and want to move the older item into the holding box or put something away I won't use for the upcoming year.

gregzgurl 12-01-2017 03:47 AM

DeeAnn, that is brilliant! I need to do something similar to what you've described - especially finding recurring themes/tools/techniques/whatever. I have not made a single thing since we moved - there is no way to work in the room designated as the guest/craft room. We're renting a partially-furnished place and the parameters are tricky. I need to re-think where/how to do this. My beloved workbench is now in the garage (my husband is using it as a workbench - go figure) and I only have a small desk - no real estate to craft on! I was already aware of this major issue, but the smaller issues surrounding it are what you've brought to my awareness, so thank you!

Rachelrose 12-01-2017 04:07 AM

DeeAnn - Not geeky at all! I love that you worked your list off projects you have held onto - I have some of them and they really do represent most who I am as a crafter and an artist. And, hey, I journal my way through everything, anything that comes up written about, so you doing that just sounds like normal life to me.

Sue - recognizing what is keeping you from crafting is the most important first step and I know I don't have to tell you that. It strikes me that even though there are lots of issues you need to think about, that lack of a comfortable workspace (ie your worktable) is a key one. Unless you are one of those people who say "Oh, I could craft anywhere!". I envy those people but am not one of them. Before anything else, I need a space that makes me feel open and relaxed. No way you could very carefully wrap up some of the furnishings that are cramping your style and store them somewhere? (Maybe the garage! ;)!)

gregzgurl 12-01-2017 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelrose (Post 21575722)
DeeAnn - Not geeky at all! I love that you worked your list off projects you have held onto - I have some of them and they really do represent most who I am as a crafter and an artist. And, hey, I journal my way through everything, anything that comes up written about, so you doing that just sounds like normal life to me.

Sue - recognizing what is keeping you from crafting is the most important first step and I know I don't have to tell you that. It strikes me that even though there are lots of issues you need to think about, that lack of a comfortable workspace (ie your worktable) is a key one. Unless you are one of those people who say "Oh, I could craft anywhere!". I envy those people but am not one of them. Before anything else, I need a space that makes me feel open and relaxed. No way you could very carefully wrap up some of the furnishings that are cramping your style and store them somewhere? (Maybe the garage! ;)!)

Actually, the main solution is relatively simple - move the futon out and a table/desk in - problem solved! Lighting is an issue, as well, so I need to invest in a good setup for that. We've only been in the house for two months, so it's not like I've suffered terribly, lol. I was waiting until after Thanksgiving to tackle it (we had nine people staying here), but maybe this weekend...?

Rachelrose 12-01-2017 07:33 AM

Good! It makes me happy to think of you back in a happy crafting space!

bjeans 12-01-2017 08:42 AM

DeeAnn, your post wasn't long; it was just right. You wrote, "I got rid over half my stamps. I am so proud of that. I only have my favorites left. I did get rid of rare things I won't find again. Now it is time for somebody else to find them."

How perfectly beautifully put.

I think it's easy to think about this process in terms of loss. Loss of things, money, comfort, memories, ______. (And if we tend to buy willy nilly and without intent, even loss of the distraction that buying can temporarily bring from unwanted feelings.)

Yet it's a gain: of space, lightness, efficiency. I'd guess most of us are somewhat visual, right? :) I now can walk into my space and feel visual delight. I'm lucky to have a room, but if it was a dining room table or a massive suite, it would be the same.

Some people aren't so affected by their surroundings, and happily work surrounded by piles and what others might consider disarray. But I'm highly affected - by clutter, unneeded hidden items, even wall color, so need to craft a space to accommodate my brain.

I heart this thread. It reinforces the processes I've coincidentally been working on. Every day I spend at least five (5!) minutes to stay in it and involved.

Beth