Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: What reason do you buy certain set for.
Do you buy sets randomly. 68 48.23%
Do you buy sets because you need it for a swap you joined 2 1.42%
Do you buy sets based on what you seen in the gallery. 79 56.03%
Do you buy sets based on the season we are in at the current time. 40 28.37%
Do you buy sets because of what you seen the dirty dozen group do 6 4.26%
Do you buy sets becuase of something you may have used in stamp camp 15 10.64%
Do you buy sets because of a card you got back from a recent swap and now you have to have it. 6 4.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2006, 03:17 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Default When placing an order do you question?

Do you order stamp sets randomly.Why?
Do you order them according to the season we are currently in.Why?
Do you order them by swaps that you signed up for.Why?
Do you order a set because of something you seen in the gallery.Why?
Do you order a set because of the dirty dozen.Why?
Do you order a set that you used in stamp camp.Why?
Do you buy them because you got a card back from a swap you were in,and now you have to have it.Why?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:31 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I used to just buy sets randomly.But now I am planning to buy by the season we are in.this way I have them ready to use for any current pictures I am taking.and the stamps are right there for me ready to use.

I usually buy a lot of stamps just because I seen some in the gallery that I didn't origianly like but grew on me after seeing a few of them or 1 card impeticular.Sometimes I get a card back from a swap that I love and have to own it now.

Sometimes I use a certain stamp set or product at stamp camp and have to eventually get it or will change my order at the last minute.

As of now I am trying to preplan my stamps sets by the season.So I have everything I want from the catalog marked for each monthas to what I am buying that month.Then I am more likely to get all the stamp sets I want or need before the caddy retires them.Then I don't have such a need to buy so much the last 2 months when the retired list comes out.

OOOHHHHH! I always make 1 month totally seperate by making sure I have 1 month out of the 3 months for 1 order to order from the mini catalog that is out.that way I don't miss out on a mini catalog.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:56 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I buy sets based on what I see on SCS..lol. Honestly, I never wanted any floral sets, now I own a whole bunch of them.. You guys are such enablers!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:04 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I usually buy sets randomly, THEN I go to the SCS gallery cuz I had no idea what I was gonna do with the set!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:10 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't really fall into any of those categories. I used to buy things completely randomly, but now am paying for that impulsiveness I have thousands of images from a huge variety of companies - a few cutesy holdouts from my early days, Western stuff, vintage women, realistic fruit, cartoon animals.... Get the idea? So now I *really* try to think through my purchases. How will the stamps coordinate with what I already own? What type of cards will I make with them? Is it versatile for scrapbook pages, too?

I must add that I'm also a demo for SU, so that further complicates matters. I'm not out to make big bucks, but I want to have a variety of images to create unique works of art for my customers. It has helped me expand my horizons, and I now adore a few sets that I wouldn't have looked twice at previously. I do occasionally just "have" to own something after seeing amazing samples in the gallery, but they're well thought out purchases now, not just jumping on the bandwagon.
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2006, 06:12 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

There wasn't an option for 'Do you buy sets based on your personal style' that is what I would have picked as mine.....I love line art(artfully asian, cowboy kid) and watercolor-like images(looks like spring, never-ending joy). That is how I usually pick which stamp sets I buy.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:21 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

My choice wasn't on the list either. I look through the catalog and make a wish list. After I do that I look at each set individually and have to be able to create at least 5 cards, projects, etc in my head before I will buy the set. I have to be able to justify buying the set and that is how I do it.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

WOW.LOL.and I thought I had all the answers here.I guess I didn't think if everything then.I guess I should of said Do you buy according to what pictures you have also for people who scrapbook all thier photo's But I guess thAT COULD FALL IN THE CATEGORY OF BUYING BY THE SEASON.

I never thought of style.I don't think I have any peticular style.I just buy whatever really appeals to me.so that's why I put the choices I did.hmmm next time I'll refraze my questions better.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Of the choices, by season was the closest to what I do. When I get the new catty, I go thru and make an initial wish list. There are some on that list that I know I'm going to get no matter what anyone else thinks (last year it was Knobbly Gnomes) and there are some on that list that I really need to wait and see what other people do with it, to see if it's something I think I can use often. Now I usually order twice a month and I try to get things that I'm going to use pretty soon after I get them. (I won't really use Christmas sets in February KWIM?)
Old 07-21-2006, 06:39 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default I buy based on specific projects

I buy based on specific projects I have in mind. For example, I know I need a good Christmas set (snowflake spot) and a sympathy set. I prioritize based on when I might need the set (Christmas set by Nov latest in order to make the cards) and then put in the generic stuff in the in between months/orders.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:48 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tah Dah!
I don't really fall into any of those categories. I used to buy things completely randomly, but now am paying for that impulsiveness I have thousands of images from a huge variety of companies - a few cutesy holdouts from my early days, Western stuff, vintage women, realistic fruit, cartoon animals.... Get the idea? So now I *really* try to think through my purchases. How will the stamps coordinate with what I already own? What type of cards will I make with them? Is it versatile for scrapbook pages, too?

I must add that I'm also a demo for SU, so that further complicates matters. I'm not out to make big bucks, but I want to have a variety of images to create unique works of art for my customers. It has helped me expand my horizons, and I now adore a few sets that I wouldn't have looked twice at previously. I do occasionally just "have" to own something after seeing amazing samples in the gallery, but they're well thought out purchases now, not just jumping on the bandwagon.

Pretty much what she said!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:04 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I go through the catty and list everything I would love to have if money was not an option. Then I cut my list down until it is half my budget for the year. As I'm cutting I am considering if I have anything similar and keep future projects/cards/scrapbook pages in mind. Once my list is down to half my budget that is what I look at when making my choice for the month. (I have a monthly stamping budget). If there is a sale, I look at my original list and see if I liked it or if it just got my attention because of the sale. If was on the original list then I compare to my condensed wishlist and see how the purchase stacks up. I also do that to things I like in the minis.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Not so much because of what I see in the gallery though there's been a few. Mostly because of what appeals to me be it either style or sentiment etc. Until now I've been kinda shying away from event/season specific sets. Wanted to get a well rounded collection which could/can be used in different situations before I started on the event/season specific ones.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I buy stamp sets that appeal to me, I look at each set and try in invision future cards and how many different ways it can be used. I basically try to get the most bang for my buck...hee hee hee..
Old 07-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

I guess the choice that fits the most is "order randomly" because I don't buy a set theme, or anything else in the poll, but I don't consider my orders to be random at all.

I buy things that appeal to me and that I know I will use. My orders are thought out, often for months before they are placed. While the contents might seem random, I don't think I order randomly- to me that's like opening the book and just turning to random pages and picking something on it.

So I wasn't able to choose a poll option.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I try to buy a "selection" of stamps so that I have different ideas for my customers. But when I was telling them about my initial orders from the new catty, I was very surprised to hear one of them say that my picks were exactly "me". I try so hard not to be "me" but I guess I am anyway! Beyond that, I buy what I love (or what SCS makes me love).
Old 07-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #17  
MnM
Insane Embellisher

I buy based on what I like. Even if I have no particular project or idea at the time. I know if I like it, it will eventually find it's way into one of my projects.
I guess it's a "Buy the dress the party will come" way of purchasing.
So I can't say that I really fall into the random catagory or not. But I definately don't fall into the other options.
Marianne
Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkub
There wasn't an option for 'Do you buy sets based on your personal style' that is what I would have picked as mine.....I love line art(artfully asian, cowboy kid) and watercolor-like images(looks like spring, never-ending joy). That is how I usually pick which stamp sets I buy.

I too pick for personal style and What I like.
I'm a floral Nature person And I also like Cute and Fun stamps.

There wasn't a pick for me......So I would say I buy what I like!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

After the catty came out, I created a list of the sets I wanted - then after seeing cards in the gallery - I already have a revision 1 to my list. So, I picked buying sets after what I have seen in the gallery
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 07-23-2006, 04:18 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also made a list when I saw the IB&C, based on my preferences. I've seen a lot of cute things in the gallery that have opened my eyes to other sets, though. My list is always changing.
Mommy and teacher to my 3 blessings
Old 07-23-2006, 05:02 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I pick out sets that I really like and if I think they are versatile then I will buy them. I usually go to the gallery here and if the set is used in many different ways and for different occasions I will purchase it.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:18 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

For part of it I buy by the season, for others, I usually have set projects planned and buy for that purpose. If I'm teeter tottering on a set, I will look through the gallery to help me decide if I will actually use the set all that much.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #23  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkub
I would go with personal style also so I didn't have a catagory to choose from. I did buy In Full Bloom based on the SCS gallery and find I don't use it enough so now it's personal style only.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:01 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

I buy sets because I like them and think I will use them regularily.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:03 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I buy sets randomly and switch my order often leading up to a party. It drives my stamping friends nuts. They know not to listen to me when I say "OK, I've decided, I'm definetly getting X" because I'll change my mind 10 times after that.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:06 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

i used to order randomly, but I now order according to what projects I need them for or what cards I will need soon.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I order what I love....could be anything. Then, I come into SCS and case everybody's cards...LOL Soooo, I guess that's random.
But then my wonderful demo will have an 'inspiration' night and I order that stamp set because of all the possibilities.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

I look through the catty and then put page markers on those that I have found sets that I really like. I choose sets from those pages and then I visualize what designs I can use with those sets...I guess I choose randomly with personal preference in mind. I buy what I like!!
Smiles, Joanne