Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   What's Your Secret Weapon? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/whats-your-secret-weapon-585671/)

123scrap 03-31-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumper (Post 20579107)
I like that ribbon idea! thanks!

I struggled for a long time with uneven layers...I have been through a number of cutters and it just kept happening. I have a guillotine style now and it's better but for layers....

I am totally in love with Spellbinders card creator layering dies. They come in A2 and A7, A and B...within a set they are 1/4 difference, use with the other set and they are 1/8 apart. I am sorry I did not move faster as originally there was A6 also that seems to have been discontinued.

A-2 Matting Basics A

All the big guys carry them so just wait for a sale.

The other thing is that I just got at a stamping show- special rulers that you can make layers with using an X-acto knife that I was looking at for a couple of months for stuff that doesnt fit within the sizes of the dies. I have hopes for them. This way it doesnt matter what size the original image is...you can cut layers for it as long as it has straight sides.

Perfect Layers THE Essential Scrapbooking Tool

Thanks for the kick in the pants, wavejumper (and to those who also mentioned it earlier). I've had some Perfect Layers rulers for awhile and just never sat down to learn them. Hopefully, I will very soon. xoxo

stiz2003 03-31-2014 06:50 PM

I have one that I have never seen posted and only learned of recently. No matter how I flipped my Big Shot plates there is always a bump or curve in it. It gets particularly nasty when cutting metals although I admit I am brutal with it.

So to flatten the plates, use a pyrex baking dish. Wrap a cutting plate in aluminum foil and lay it in your pyrex. Add weight to the top using more pyrex. In my case I didn't have enough pyrex so I added oven safe pots and pans on top of it, the heavier the better. Now put it in the oven and cook it at 325� for 30 minutes. Mine are bad enough that after they cooled I popped them in for an additional 10 minutes. The flakes of paper fall off too. I also had to do mine one at a time since both plates would not lay flat in the baking dish.

123scrap 04-01-2014 03:49 PM

Hey Nancy stiz2003, that's a great tip about heating the plates, little scary to try for me, but I found this youtube video that helps lead through it:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a8tIqVKiClk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm assuming this would work for Cuttlebug plates as well?

And for those of you who aren't gonna try this, do not throw away your old bowed plates. They can be used as cling mount blocks for your bigger background stamps. If you always have trouble getting the middle of the stamp to deliver to the paper, a bowed plate can help because it's similar to using a rocker mount (like IO sells for $25, just no handle on top). I never throw away any of my used acrylic die cutting plates. Someone always comes along with a great use for them, LOL. You can also apply Aleene's repositionable glue to it and keep it for rubber stamps that are not wood or cling-mounted. Just keep saran wrap on the plate between uses. Heck, you can even use 2 of them and some clamps as a press, or use as a paint or ink palette. LOTS of ways to use these! xoxo

Rachelrose 04-01-2014 06:10 PM

I have the matting basics in A and B and love them and use them all the time. But I also have Perfect Layers. They overlap in some ways, but with the Perfect layers I am not limited to the sizes Spellbinders provides, I can start with any size straight sided shape I want and get a perfect mat. Of course Perfect Layers won't give you that beautiful embossed edge like a Nestie. So, there's that. (Which is why I use both.)

UnderstandBlue 04-02-2014 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrap (Post 20581305)
Hey Nancy stiz2003, that's a great tip about heating the plates, little scary to try for me, but I found this youtube video that helps lead through it:
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a8tIqVKiClk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I'm assuming this would work for Cuttlebug plates as well?

And for those of you who aren't gonna try this, do not throw away your old bowed plates. They can be used as cling mount blocks for your bigger background stamps. If you always have trouble getting the middle of the stamp to deliver to the paper, a bowed plate can help because it's similar to using a rocker mount (like IO sells for $25, just no handle on top). I never throw away any of my used acrylic die cutting plates. Someone always comes along with a great use for them, LOL. You can also apply Aleene's repositionable glue to it and keep it for rubber stamps that are not wood or cling-mounted. Just keep saran wrap on the plate between uses. Heck, you can even use 2 of them and some clamps as a press, or use as a paint or ink palette. LOTS of ways to use these! xoxo

Just a tip - I edited your post to embed the video player in it. If you click on a YouTube Video and click share underneath it, click embed and copy that code instead of the link, you can paste it here and POOF - everyone can see the video! :)

Angelnorth 04-02-2014 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrap (Post 20581305)
Hey Nancy stiz2003, that's a great tip about heating the plates, little scary to try for me, but I found this youtube video that helps lead through it:...

There was a thread at the end of last year from someone who'd tried it suggesting that this isn't a good idea - you can read her experience here. I have no experience either way but remembered seeing the thread and thought I'd share.

stiz2003 04-02-2014 06:10 AM

Thanks Joanne for that link!
I've done mine twice so far. Mine are such a mess from forcing metal through that I had nothing to lose. It just helps me get a bit more mileage out of them. It does make sense that they may crack but I've broken plates in the past before I ever baked them.
Someone else in that link worried about fumes. There are no fumes from this at all.

jeanne3579 04-02-2014 06:17 AM

Mu first thought was the fumes, too. Since I do some polymer clay, and shrinky dinks, I bought a cheap toaster over reserved for crafts. Perhaps those of you that want to use heat could try that, if you have a craft oven. I just flip mine as soon as I see a slight bend. Since there are 2 plates I usually have one that is flat, if I forget to flip the other one. I reserve one set of B plates for die cutting and one set for embossing folders. That way I never have to worry about a bent plate when I want to emboss.

Buried Treasures 04-02-2014 07:03 AM

I really like the idea of using the plates as stamping blocks! Genius!

Kgeans 12-31-2020 09:03 AM

[subbing]