Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   What's up with Michaels?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/whats-up-michaels-392615/)

Vee 10-24-2008 07:04 AM

What's up with Michaels??

My Michael's now has new signage in a new script that still says "Michael's" It also has a big banner saying GRAND OPENING and something about crafts.
I didn't have time to go in but thought it was pretty weird to reopen a store with the same name and the same type of store! Anyone elses Michael's doing this?

mommyof2 10-24-2008 07:08 AM

There was another thread on here awhile ago about them revamping the stores--new signage, more contempory feel and hopefully new merchandise.

willosmama 10-24-2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee (Post 11808173)
My Michael's now has new signage in a new script that still says "Michael's" It also has a big banner saying GRAND OPENING and something about crafts.
I didn't have time to go in but thought it was pretty weird to reopen a store with the same name and the same type of store! Anyone elses Michael's doing this?

oh- lucky you- My Mike's isn't getting revamped....might have to head over your direction to check it out!

Crafts 10-24-2008 07:50 AM

They rolled out their new logo last month in anticipation of opening their 1000th store.

Knutsen24 10-24-2008 08:07 AM

I sure wish that my Michaels would get revamped. It needs it lol! Lucky you, I bet that means that there are SALES too!!

angel1971 10-24-2008 10:48 AM

I went into one of the Michael's with the new signage and grand opening signs and they had alot of new papercrafting items that they wouldn't normally carry such as Tim Holtz products, etc... The whole center of the store is all scrapbooking!!! MUCH more stuff! I lost about 3 hours and alot of money in there. I was amazed that it was Michael's!!! Definitely check it out!!!

c-mouse 10-24-2008 11:03 AM

So envious!!!!!! closest M's is 4+ hours away..........But I do hit them about every 60-90 days.

AnMiSu 10-24-2008 12:19 PM

I'm heading over the border for a day of craft shopping in November and was wondering if any in the Niagara Falls, NY or Buffalo area stores have been revamped.

birdbrain 10-24-2008 01:56 PM

I walked into our Michaels last weekend and my jaw dropped. It's very impressive...almost reminds me of an Archivers. Less box/warehouse store than it used to be. I knew that some stores were being renovated, but had no idea that our's was on the list. A whole lot more paper crafting products, stamps, punches, paper...you name it, and it's all front and center!

ctab 10-24-2008 01:59 PM

I'm lucky enough to live by the new one in Hurst, Texas. It's awesome!

stampencamper 10-24-2008 02:40 PM

it probably is the 1000th store grand opening; I also wish
they would revamp ours, they need to because the competitor
crafts direct, is so much better, so I take my coupons over
to crafts direct

GinaLin 10-24-2008 03:05 PM

Last weekend I visited my Mom and they have a new Michaels. I ran in to grab something quick and couldn't believe the difference. It was so nice and brightly lit and well stocked. I didn't have time to go through the entire store but I noticed several new things in the papercrafting area.

Vee 10-24-2008 03:50 PM

Hummmm, I am already overbooked for the weekend, but now I will HAVE to squeeze in a trip to michaels. Nice to know that I can expect changes.

Stampin' Sooz 10-25-2008 08:24 AM

Let's hope they finally got rid of those "Class of '05" stamps! LOL!!

Marsh730 10-25-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' Sooz (Post 11818899)
Let's hope they finally got rid of those "Class of '05" stamps! LOL!!

Hi Stampin' Sooz,

I chuckled when I read your message because I saw that stamp in the 'dollar bin' bucket of my not revamped Michael and asked my DH why would they sell a stamp that is three years old.

Pat

53queenbee 10-25-2008 09:45 AM

Michael's was sold some time back and the new mega company is consolidating and updating. There was talk of closing all the Michael's for a while. If the new revamp doesn't do what they want then all the Aaron Bros, Michael's, and other holds will be consolidated. (The original Michael's owner is here in my town and decided to get out of it entirely and retire.)

Seems to me I always have to stand in line for 30 minutes so I cannot see how business is bad-especially in Texas! But we are all waiting for Archiver's to come to Dallas....

quirky62 10-25-2008 10:09 AM

list of new stores

Is there a list of the new stores and their locations? I have several Michael's stores within driving distance and it would be nice to know where the new revamped ones are?

Thanks.

maconscrapper 10-25-2008 10:25 AM

Didn't Lowes buy out Michael's? I think I heard that somewhere. I was NC a few weeks ago and they were cleaning out and starting over. Lots of sales. The local Mic's here has added alot more SB stuff, but same paper it had one year ago. I prefer Hobby Lobby.

53queenbee 10-25-2008 10:27 AM

Ya' know I cannot remember who it was but they immediately close several locations here and the one remaining scrapbook store Recollections. We have one in the north Dallas area and that is it. I literally drive to Waco to get the good stuff. They have an awesome indy there; my sis lives in Houston so I go to Archiver's there and spend about $500. I do NOT go very often to Houston!

sweetideas 10-25-2008 03:34 PM

I went into my Michaels yesterday and the whole place was tore up and they are remodeling it. Yeah! I just hope its a better place to shop in when they are done.

Erinlyn80 10-25-2008 07:18 PM

Dunno but I noticed a new font on the website, you can look at what they sell but not buy anything. Hopefully they'll get with the program so I'll have another online craft store!

thecountryrose 10-25-2008 11:07 PM

Ours was revamped and what a difference! They really built up the scrapping dept. and added some new lines that they hadn't had before. Worth a trip to check it out!

glitterdovefairy 10-25-2008 11:20 PM

ours shut down after 2 years... miss it so much wouldnt mind it being old and not revamped

teenastamps 10-26-2008 05:08 AM

They moved ours from the old location a couple of years ago to beside a Target. The parking lot is an absolute zoo, compared to the old place. The sales are not as good except for select things, and like was stated, I from time to time see things that are very old still hanging on the racks. They have stopped taking their coupons on magazines and books altogether, and I was told it was a corporate thing, due to the fact that the books/magazines are not owned by Michaels.

I went there yesterday for a Papercrafting Event...and I got there around 3 pm. It was supposed to go until 4 pm. They had left the table up for the first project, so I was lucky and got to make several cards...

There was a girl doing a demo at another table and of course before I could finish at table 1 she had already left, so I did not get to see anything demoed. I found out later that they had showed the Cricut in the classroom...which basically unless you are a child or decorate cakes, is now a wasted space, because they have done away with all of the classes except Wilton and Kids Club...sighhhhh.

I did have fun, and you can't complain about anything that is free...even if you did not get to see it...LOL.

I had been to AC Moore's papercrafting event first...and that was a total disaster...sighhhh...think I will start a thread about that...LOL.

My Michaels has not been renovated as of yet, but then again, they may call it as having been renovated because they are relatively new as far as location...sighhhhh...

I find it much harder to locate things now, and definately harder to reach as they put stickers and such almost to the ceiling...NOT kidding...even the tall women have problems getting stuff down for me...I'm 5 feet even...

I hope they do revamp our store...and maybe add a few more handicapped spaces out front while they are at it, because there are NO handicapped spaces in front of it now, you have to park at the Target spaces, which are almost always in use...:)

debbiemom23cs 10-26-2008 11:26 AM

It would be great if the Michael's close to me was revamped but so far, nothing new. I did read in the newspaper that a Hobby Lobby was opening in my town before Christmas. Now, that I am excited about!!:cool:

krisis 10-26-2008 01:29 PM

The Michael's in the NYC area stinks!, and one of them only opened this year!!! I wish we had a Hobby Lobby.