Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's up?

Why is it that cards in the challenges always get so much more attention than those in the day to day gallery? I posted two cards today, and the one that was linked to the Color Challenge got over fifty comments while the other card got sixteen. I loved both of them, but actually liked this one better than the Challenge card.

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=349088&cat=500&ppuser=3219&sortby=l&sorttime=all&way=desc

Does anyone have any insight on why this happens? Some really wonderful cards get largely overlooked if they're not linked to a thread or challenge. Is it because it's easier than going through pages of uploads? What do you think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I would think that other people that want to participate in the challenge would review the cards in that gallery (before or after they made theirs). They have a specific purpose for viewing that card rather than randomly going through other galleries and finding the other one.

The only reason I go into other galleries is to review the cards made with sets I own or am thinking of getting, although I do browse the days card almost every day.

To be honest I think you're pretty lucky to get so many comments on a card you only just recently uploaded, I'd be pretty happy if any of my cards got 16 comments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, I'm not complaining about getting 16 comments! Far from it! I was just wondering about a phenomena I've been aware of for some time. I was referring to everyone's work in the daily gallery, not just mine! I often see cards that are absolutely wonderful that get very few comments compared to cards that are on a par, but linked to a challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Happy Heart, I noticed the same thing. It's probably because people who try out a challenge are looking for other cards made using that same challenge. They are more likely to comment on this common challenge. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I work full-time and don't have lots of time to do all I want on SCS. That being said, I have more time than I used to with my kids both becoming adults. I don't have all the mommy things I used to have. My routine is I like to read the general stamping forum and occasionally I will look thru one of the other forums. Looking at the links are enjoyable for me, as well as the card sketch challenges. Occassionally I take the time to look at the other challenges. I have certain things I look at daily in the gallery and occasionally will look at certain sets for ideas. This usually takes me about an hour and then if I take the time to comment it takes me longer. I am really bad about commenting in the gallery. I am working on taking the time to comment in the gallery. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yup... I've noticed my challenge cards get more comments than my other uploads. I am thinking it's because the challenges have a MUCH bigger (and regular) 'viewing crew' than the daily uploads. I know myself... after I do a challenge, and upload it, I'll go to the keyword to view & comment on that day's challenge cards. Most times I am too tired to make it over to the daily uploads after that. I have also noticed that if you wait a few days to play a challenge, it won't get as many views as if you had made it on the day the challenge was posted. (KWIM?)

I *heart* My Computer
Because a lot of my best friends live in it!!
Thanks SCS.... for providing a place to cultivate priceless friendships!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Those are all good reasons! I realize that time constraints may influence how people use the gallery.
My kids are grown, and I'm off work for the summer. I baby-sit two of my grandchildren twice a week, but other than that, I have a lot of time to do as I please. I almost always view the gallery on a daily basis (sometimes several times a day![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif[/IMG]), and leave comments on cards that I like. I want to encourage the people whose work I enjoy to keep sharing their wonderful creations! As often as I view the gallery, I still tend to miss so many great cards. That's one reason I like the Sharing Favorites thread on No-Upload Sundays....it gives me a chance to see some beautiful cards I may have missed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: In my Happy Place with no one bothering me....I hope!

I agree that as others have said, that when you post to a challenge you do tend to comment on as many other challenge cards as you can. I know that is what I do....but I do try to go through the daily additions too. Just never enough time to see all the great uploads!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I know for my own experience. I was on here for at least a few months before I even realized you can browse the gallery by the cards uploaded that day. I then started to look at everydays cards until it started getting over 10 pages a day. I like to view all cards that are done for a challenge I participated in. Usually VSBN takes a lot out of me because I like to do every challenge and it is at least a week after before I even finish viewing those challenges. Same goes for VSN if I participate. The weekly challenges I do like to view to get ideas if I am starting the challenge and if I get it done within that week, I like to view what everyone else did with the same challenge. That is usually all I have time for except looking through the set galleries to see if I must have a certain set on my wishlist. Since there are so many uploads now, I never view the days additions to the gallery anymore.
When I do, it is a rare occasion. Of coarse that is just me but I'm sure there are others who do the same.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrooketrout
I agree that as others have said, that when you post to a challenge you do tend to comment on as many other challenge cards as you can. I know that is what I do....but I do try to go through the daily additions too. Just never enough time to see all the great uploads!!
Yep, same here. I also try to comment on *friend's* cards even if I don't get a chance to do the challenge or if I see them post a card in general.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrooketrout
Yep, same here. I also try to comment on *friend's* cards even if I don't get a chance to do the challenge or if I see them post a card in general.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

OOPS!! Sorry for the double post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I've always wondered about the comment thing??? I have cards I really were pleased with that sometimes have no comments and others I was only so-so with that receive tons (never 50 though - that's awesome!!!!!). Due to my work schedule I never seem to have time and don't participate in the challenges so that is not a factor. I absolutely agree though that there are many wonderful over-looked cards daily. Personally I try to go through the entire new gallery daily and make comments on 10 cards per day (randomly selected by what catches my eye!
Web-site:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 03:10 AM   #14  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

G'Morning Elaine Hey, did I ever tell you my middle name is Elayne? Love that name!

Anywho.. here's my 2c.. I surf the gallery twice. Once I scan for challenge cards (i'm a sucker for those).. make my comments, then later I do a general viewing of everything else for the day. I must admit, I often miss some really great cards because of the number of uploads.

And sometimes, I mix stampers up and call them by the wrong name! LOL

Peace and abundant blessings!
Reply With Quote Likes