Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   What's going on with Michaels?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/whats-going-michaels-610125/)

sunrisea 05-24-2016 01:36 PM

What's going on with Michaels??

Went to Michaels today and they no longer carry dies, embossing folders or Tim Holtz products!! They now have two long rows of their house brand color-coordinated scrapbooking embellishments.

Thank goodness we have Joann's and Hobby Lobby across the border in S.C. to fall back on for supplies and, of course, the internet. We no longer have a scrapbook store in town; you would think in a city the size of Charlotte, there would be one scrapbook store!

Saundra

bjeans 05-24-2016 02:00 PM

LSS's are struggling. My area used to have three; we're down to one. I try to buy from them as much as possible instead of on Amazon. They provide so much more than product to their customers - free make 'n' takes, demos, inexpensive classes.

Anyway, is it just your Michaels or all of them? Tim Holtz products are on Michaels on line.

I only ask because I happened to call two Michaels today to see if either had a product. One manager said they never carried it and was surprised the website had the message to check local stores. The other Michaels had seven in stock. : )

UnderstandBlue 05-24-2016 02:11 PM

That's weird - I was at Michael's Sunday and there were two full aisles of Tim Holtz - more than they've ever had. I wonder if it's just regional.

UnderstandBlue 05-24-2016 02:12 PM

I miss our LSSs :(

bjeans 05-24-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 21244350)
That's weird - I was at Michael's Sunday and there were two full aisles of Tim Holtz - more than they've ever had. I wonder if it's just regional.

Or just that store or stores where it wasn't selling well?

Copperkids 05-24-2016 02:40 PM

My michaels had a lot of Tim holtz and a huge line of their own embellishments. But they don't have the current products. Very few dies now. No embossing folders

muscrat 05-24-2016 02:43 PM

My Michaels has quite a bit of Tim Holtz stuff but I haven't spent much at Michaels or acmoore. I'm almost exclusively shopping my LSS. She orders for me if she doesn't have it and her prices are way low! I don't know how she makes any money with the minimal markup she does!

fionna51 05-24-2016 03:13 PM

I got frustrated with my Michaels store a long time ago and quit going. Well, except if I'm looking for American Girl crafts kits for my granddaughters. I'm in there once or twice a year is all. Disappointing.

lesliespringer 05-24-2016 04:11 PM

My store has lots of Tim Holtz stuff. But they have not had dies or embossing folders for well over a year or more. They don't even carry the cuttlebug or replacement plates.

tazmom 05-24-2016 04:51 PM

Mine carries Tim Holtz and some dies not a lot. But them again I am in WV so we are pretty limited to what we get. But they just got competition in Morgantown as we just got A.C. Moore and Hobby Lobby is coming too. So they had a monopoly for a long time here. Can't wait for Hobby Lobby.

wavejumper 05-24-2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscrat (Post 21244369)
My Michaels has quite a bit of Tim Holtz stuff but I haven't spent much at Michaels or acmoore. I'm almost exclusively shopping my LSS. She orders for me if she doesn't have it and her prices are way low! I don't know how she makes any money with the minimal markup she does!

My LSS is often higher than MSRP...I just cant afford to go unless they are having a major sale. Kills me-I usually love to support the little guy.

muscrat 05-24-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumper (Post 21244521)
My LSS is often higher than MSRP...I just cant afford to go unless they are having a major sale. Kills me-I usually love to support the little guy.

I consider myself lucky to be able to shop at my LSS. Honestly, I think the only way to get better prices would be sales online. Or a single item at Michaels with a 50% coupon.

crazysuziestamper 05-24-2016 07:14 PM

We had a Michaels but it closed several years ago. Wasn't worth going to IMO and neither is our Jo Anns. We do have a place called Pat Catans which also owns and distributes the Darice line. They own much property in our city. Pat Catan's sold their stores to Michaels and Michaels is opening a new store within a mile of our PC so guess will be losing PC soon. Will check out the Michaels when it opens but won't hold my breath. They will ruin PC. While PC name has to remain on the stores for 3 years it is all being run by Michaels now. Sad, really liked PC.

wavejumper 05-24-2016 07:15 PM

It definitely sounds like you are lucky Kathy! I'm jealous! :)

muscrat 05-24-2016 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumper (Post 21244552)
It definitely sounds like you are lucky Kathy! I'm jealous! :)

I posted pictures of her shop in another thread. Maybe the Alphabet Challenge thread or S2S16 thread? Her shop is packed with goodies and I love going there. I'll post one picture in this post if I still have pictures on my phone.

http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...79fa543a97.jpg

http://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...fbf3d5ad85.jpg

muscrat 05-24-2016 08:41 PM

Sorry....couldn't stop at one picture! LOL.

JuanCena 05-24-2016 10:04 PM

When I was first into buying a Big Shot or WRMK Evolution, I went by Michaels and noticed scarce dies, and no Evolution machine or Big Shot. I asked an employee about it and they said that they didn't sell the Evolution, and it sounded as though the company was moving away from selling die-cut machines, due to a trend away from the manual machines, and more toward Circut and similar products.

Recently, however, they've added a new section with stamp/die bundles. I recall seeing Sixxix, Tim Holtz, Lawm Fawn, and Recolections.

The local Hobby Lobby just added more die sets and die/bundles as well.

uncbballfan 05-24-2016 11:08 PM

To the OP: There's a Hobby Lobby next to Ikea in Charlotte.

If you're ever in Winston-Salem, about 5 minutes out of town in Lewisville is a WONDERFUL LSS called Enchanted Cottage. The ladies are so helpful, they almost always have the newest items; it's a feast for the eyes when I go in there. Definitely worth the trip!

http://www.enchantedcottagenc.com

And just a hop, skip and a jump from Enchanted Cottage is Scrapbook Traditions in Clemmons, NC:

http://www.scrapbooktraditions.com

And in Greensboro, about 15 minutes away, is Scrapbook Studio:

http://www.scrapbookstudionc.com/live/

And Stamper's Alley in Mooresville - not too far from Charlotte; head N on I-77:

http://stampersalley.blogspot.com

We are blessed to have so many still in operation.

bjeans 05-25-2016 06:25 AM

My three closest Michaels are different from each other. Customer service and overall friendliness vary and I often head to the one further away. There's a more distant Michaels that blows me away with how well they treat customers, from the time I walkin the door. (Am I on Candid Camera?)

My take on LSS's is that if we don't support them they will mostly disappear. Two out of three have closed in this metropolitan area.

Since crafting supplies aren't necessities like food and shelter, for me that means sometimes spending a little more for an item at my LSS. My LSS gives to the community at large (food drives, time spent at a nursing home), and supports paper crafters. They have make-n-takes, demos, inexpensive classes, get-togethers and encyclopedic knowledge to share.

It astonishes me when someone comes in, makes a card and then says, "That was fun! I can get this at Michaels cheaper," and waltzes out. I'm embarassed for them.

Obviously you can't always buy everything from them. Saving a few dollars is one thing; if you're buying a machine that costs $50.00 more that's another - at least for me.

Just my take; YMMV of course!

canada goose 05-25-2016 10:28 AM

It does appear at my closest Michaels, they are carrying more Recollection brand of everything.

Paula O. 05-25-2016 11:25 AM

Unfortunately there are NO LSS in my area. There is HL which I won't shop at, JoAnn's which has minimal, picked over stuff, and Michael's which has plenty of nothing. I shop S.U. or Simon Says Stamp. I would love to support a LSS.

muscrat 05-25-2016 11:35 AM

I wish I had a HL close by. I have to travel at least an hour to get to the closest one. Although I'd still shop LSS mostly. Its just fun to check out other places. I have two Joanna but they carry nothing for my interest.

Rebali 05-25-2016 12:02 PM

Prefer My LSS

I prefer my local shop called Crafters Haven. So friendly and helpful. I only found it a year ago and am so happy in there. Not a Michael's fan and very rarely go in.

sunrisea 05-25-2016 03:21 PM

The Michaels I went to use to carry dies, embossing folders, Tim Holtz and Martha Stewart but now all is gone. The Michaels up the street from me is the smallest Michaels I have seen and they never had Spellbinders, embossing folders or Martha Stewart. Glossy Accents was on clearance and they don't have it at all now; that is a staple! They have a few Tim Holtz's things but all old stuff.

Leona2025 05-25-2016 03:56 PM

I hate Michaels and Hobby Lobby and love them at the same time. When I want something quick it's good to be able to go there, but I feel like they don't have a variety of stuff I actually like. I understand they would be more about their store brand, but I feel like the quality of their things like flowers are lacking, especially when compared to WOC or IAMROSES.

It seems like they never get in new papers. I love designer papers.

This is why I tend to purchase most stuff online.

bjeans 05-25-2016 04:11 PM

In case anyone is new to the DC-VA-MD area or new to stamping, mixed media, any kind of paper crafts, there's a wonderful LSS in Herndon, VA called Angela's Happy Stamper, and one in the Historic Savage Mill in Savage, MD in between Laurel and Baltimore called The Queen's Ink. The Mill is worth a trip on its own - little shops, restaurants, cool setting, in the old mill.

(Some people avoid HL due to their politics more than their merchandise and prices.)

crafterinnc 05-25-2016 06:13 PM

There is a very nice store in Matthews - Paper Crafters Muse. Right off Independence, on Rice Rd. extension. Its not huge, but the owner is very nice and she has new items. I always find something I need there!

DianneB1030 05-25-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfan (Post 21244613)
To the OP: There's a Hobby Lobby next to Ikea in Charlotte.

If you're ever in Winston-Salem, about 5 minutes out of town in Lewisville is a WONDERFUL LSS called Enchanted Cottage. The ladies are so helpful, they almost always have the newest items; it's a feast for the eyes when I go in there. Definitely worth the trip!

Art Rubber Stamps, Scrapbooking Supplies, Albums and Paper | Lewisville, NC

And just a hop, skip and a jump from Enchanted Cottage is Scrapbook Traditions in Clemmons, NC:

|| &laquo Scrapbook Traditions

And in Greensboro, about 15 minutes away, is Scrapbook Studio:

SCRAPBOOKSTUDIONC.COM

And Stamper's Alley in Mooresville - not too far from Charlotte; head N on I-77:

Stamper's Alley - Your Full Service Stamp Store in Mooresville and Lake Norman

We are blessed to have so many still in operation.

I visited the Enchanted Cottage when I was visiting family in North Carolina, and it was great. My heart belongs to my LSS here in Iowa though. They can't carry everything, but they have a lot and will gladly order anything they don't have. They offer wonderful inexpensive classes, and have the most friendly, helpful staff you can imagine. It's called Outstamping Designs, in Valley Junction in West Des Moines.

Alice in Md 05-25-2016 08:12 PM

Maryland -- another LSS

[QUOTE=bjeans;21245025]In case anyone is new to the DC-VA-MD area or new to stamping, mixed media, any kind of paper crafts, there's a wonderful LSS in Herndon, VA called Angela's Happy Stamper, and one in the Historic Savage Mill in Savage, MD in between Laurel and Baltimore called The Queen's Ink. The Mill is worth a trip on its own - little shops, restaurants, cool setting, in the old mill.

Photo Scraps is in Eldersburg, Maryland, in Carroll County, about 25 miles west of Towson and 7 miles north of I-70 via Maryland route 32. The owner and staff are outstanding, and while their main focus is scrapbooking, they strongly support stampers, too. Photo Scraps

muscrat 05-25-2016 08:31 PM

I loved their "what's in the box!" I want that hero arts prayers stamp and die set!

bjeans 05-26-2016 05:11 AM

Oops, Alice in Md made me realize I hadn't included the links to the two LSS's I mentioned in Herndon, VA and Savage, MD:

Angela's Happy Stamper - Rubber Stamping in Northern Virginia

The Queen's Ink

Check out their classes; some are unusual.

Beth

cms 05-26-2016 10:38 AM

Alice in MD ~ I was just going to mention Photo Scraps! The ladies there are awesome, they have new stuff all the time, and will order for you, too. I love them. <3 Queen's Ink is amazing - and very different, IMO, from Photo Scraps. Both stores are definitely worth a visit!

iwoz 05-26-2016 05:29 PM

Scrapbook-N-Memories in Harrisonville, MO is great,too. Kourtney is wonderful and has lots of special guests and activities..

uncbballfan 05-26-2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscrat (Post 21245158)
I loved their "what's in the box!" I want that hero arts prayers stamp and die set!

Kathy, is this the one you're talking about? If so, I have it and it's really one of my favorite sets.

Hero Arts Prayers Die and Stamp Set

prairiecrafter 05-27-2016 03:09 AM

Minnesota LSS-Fond Memories in Walnut Grove is a small store, but full of newer products and will order for you. People travel a great distance to attend workshops, classes and to shop. Fun place to shop,

muscrat 05-27-2016 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfan (Post 21245892)
Kathy, is this the one you're talking about? If so, I have it and it's really one of my favorite sets.

Hero Arts Prayers Die and Stamp Set

Yes, that set! I saw Jennifer McGuire use it and have been hoping Michaels would get it in since they carry some hero arts, but so far no luck. I think my LSS could order it if I remember to ask when I go out, but I can't get out there as often as I'd like since its 40 minute drive

sewflake 05-27-2016 04:58 AM

Our Michaels has that row of all color coordinated supplies, it looks so pretty sitting there! And it looks just as neat and tidy as the day it was introduced... kind of like no one is shopping from that rainbow selection of products... I know I'm not!! Martha Stewart is gone, a lot of the paper is store brand, and it is getting hard to find a good album again store brands. BUT at least it is still there for a some Tim Holtz and Heidi Swapp stuff and between M's & HL I can get Cricut accessories.

One LSS is closing down this month after many years. While is consider it a LSS the store is almost an hour away. Needles to day I can't get there very often especially since there is another LSS and hour in the other direction that is well stocked. I don't get to go there often either.

The one still here is in Foley Alabama, Gi Gi's, close to an outlet mall. Has a great eating place right next door, on the other side an amusement park is being built, plus is it only a few minutes drive to Gulfshores.

ciocidi 05-27-2016 06:34 AM

store name and town location?

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscrat (Post 21244369)

Kathy - would you please provide the store name and location? I may be within driving distance and supporting an LSS is high on my priority list. Thanks, Diane

muscrat 05-27-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciocidi (Post 21246023)
Kathy - would you please provide the store name and location? I may be within driving distance and supporting an LSS is high on my priority list. Thanks, Diane

Nora's Rubber stamps, but she only has a tiny sign on her mailbox and the shop is in the back of her farmhouse. It is on Rt. 45 going west outside of mifflinburg. And rubber stamps doesn't begin to tell you everything she has!