Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   What's the difference? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/whats-difference-161157/)

babyboxermom 07-03-2006 08:11 AM

What's the difference?

What's the difference between watercolor paper and cardstock? I'm playing with my WCW crayons and the cs (non-SU scrap) is kind of "soggy" after using an aquapainter. Maybe I'm using too much water....

Sereikastamper 07-03-2006 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyboxermom
What's the difference between watercolor paper and cardstock? I'm playing with my WCW crayons and the cs (non-SU scrap) is kind of "soggy" after using an aquapainter. Maybe I'm using too much water....

The watercolor paper is thicker and slightly textured, created to be used with watercolors...
You may be using too much water if you paper is soggy. Try keeping a dry paper towel on hand and run the brush tip against it so that you don't have alot of water in your brush.

indyemmert 07-03-2006 08:22 AM

I have found that using the watercolor paper really does make a big difference. It doesn't buckle at all. Also, if you are using the crayons directly on the stamps, the colors are much truer on the watercolor paper. HTH!

Mamadukes 07-03-2006 09:07 AM

I've found the Confetti CS works well for watercoloring. The watercolor paper is nice, but a little pricey, I think. I've started using Confetti White for anything I'm coloring whether it be Aquapainter and Crayons or even the markers. It bends some when it's wet, but can be flatten out when it dries. I've been very pleased with the results.

babyboxermom 07-04-2006 08:47 AM

Thanks for all the help ladies. I think I'm going to try the watercolor paper. Are they all alike or is one brand better than another???

annabelle1974 07-04-2006 08:59 AM

I spray Georgia Pacific 110 pound white cardstock (very cheap at Walmart) with a light coating of Krylon Matte Spray (a can will last for years) and get an even better result than the really fancy, expensive watercolor papers.

Palapala 07-04-2006 09:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the help ladies. I think I'm going to try the watercolor paper. Are they all alike or is one brand better than another???

With WC paper you get what you pay for. It hits all price ranges. I've found that the less expensive stuff (like from an WC artist pad at HL or Michaels) works just fine. Dick Blick will also send you a couple of samples if you ask.

One thing to be aware of: There is Cold Press and Hot Press WC paper. Hot press is a smoother finish and is recommended for Gamsol/Prismas. I personaly like the Hot press better as it is not as rough as the Cold press and I get better blending with the hot press. HTH

Sereikastamper 07-04-2006 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I spray Georgia Pacific 110 pound white cardstock (very cheap at Walmart) with a light coating of Krylon Matte Spray (a can will last for years) and get an even better result than the really fancy, expensive watercolor papers.

hmm I never thought to use my Matte Spray for that!!! Now you have my wheels a turning!

Grandma Overboard 07-04-2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

I found the blender pen to work really well on cs with the WWC. Found the aquapen too hard to control the amount of water. Could even just use a nice brush, drying it to your needs. I just love those WWC. Also, if you want to use the watercolor paper, you can get it real cheap at Michaels in a tablet form. There's different price ranges, but I just get the stuff that's
$2-4 and works just fine. You can cut it to the size you need.

kerrym38 07-04-2006 01:17 PM

When the WCW Crayons first came out, it was recommended to use them with the WC Paper or Confetti Cream or White when using the aquapainter. I find the WC Paper works best, but the confetti works well too. It's heavier then the whisper white or cream, and doesn't buckle a much.

Kerry

babyboxermom 07-18-2006 04:43 AM

Bought the wc paper...

and don't know if I like it. As much as I tried, I couldn't get a clear image, even using stazon.:(

evequilts 07-18-2006 05:53 AM

I just tried wc paper last night for the first time at my demo's stamp camp. We used an actual brush to apply the ink. I don't have much experience with watercoloring, but I found my results looked much better with the wc paper. The ink didn't run and it had a richer look.