Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #41  
immzw4

Talking

This is my first year stamping, so it will be my first year making halloween cards. I am a big fan of halloween. Everyone at work knows that the day after I start wearing my halloween stockings, it will be October. I must own a dozen pairs of weird leg wear, just dying for Sept. 30th to come! We also celebrate the Day of the Dead with sugar skulls and a little "welcome" for our ancestors.

We call Thanksgiving something different, "Thankstaking" (this makes my husband a bit mad and I seriously don't mean to offend anyone here). I'm American Indian, so the holiday means something totally different to me now that I'm grown, but we still celebrate and have wonderful food and it's a learning chance for the kids. I probably won't make cards for it, though.

SU has the cutest stamp sets for Halloween. How could I not buy them and make some cards?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Ok, I'm starting to see a trend here. I'm Canadian (well at least for the last 11 years - I'm really British) and I don't send Halloween cards, in fact I don't even *do* Halloween. I find it creepy and the pagan nature of it bothers me a lot. I don't ever dress up and I wouldn't give out candy if my Canadian husband didn't make me.

I guess a lot of it is to do with how you are brought up. Halloween wasn't that popular in Britain (although it's getting bigger each year) and was always overshadowed by Guy Fawkes Night (Nov 5th) which is as big a firework night as July 4th is in the US.

Now admittedly my 2 kids are a bit young for Halloween (2 and 10 months) right now so I may get into it once they go to school and want to start dressing up.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

I decorate my house for Halloween because on the block I live on it is kind of expected - let's just say that during Christmas it is called Candycane Lane....

I do have a couple of halloween stamp sets, but the only reason I make cards is that the first craft sale of my season falls on the weekend before October 31, so I make a few to sell.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

I too enjoy sending cards to remind people that I am thinking of them. I live many miles away from my family, and hope that the kids enjoy the cards that I send, for all of the holidays. Now that most of the boys are in their teens, it's a little harder to decide what to send. (I actually like skeletons for Halloween, but I'm a physical therapist, so bones are my thing!)

Eileen
Old 09-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

I love Halloween and usually make Halloween cards to send to out of town friends or at least treat bags for the gals at work. My mom always made us great costumes growing up so I have found memories of that. I like to decorate for most holidays including Halloween. My company even celebrates Halloween! We have a decorating contest for each department and we have a costume contest too. Last year I won for best female costume. I went as Cruella DeVille from 101 Dalmations. I look forward to dressing up each year probably as much as my son. I guess the fondness for Halloween is a regional thing sort of like May Day baskets. I've found many people who have never gave nor received one. Ahh, but that is another topic of discussion for next spring!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by immzw4
We call Thanksgiving something different, "Thankstaking" (this makes my husband a bit mad and I seriously don't mean to offend anyone here). I'm American Indian, so the holiday means something totally different to me now that I'm grown, but we still celebrate and have wonderful food and it's a learning chance for the kids.
Ha! One of many reasons I'm glad that in Canada, Thanksgiving is not about pilgrims and stereotypical, romanticised NA Indian imagery, but just about being thankful for what we have and for being able to spend time with family and friends (and eat too much pumpkin pie).
Old 09-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #47  
Inking Addict

Wow...and I have a whole different perspective on the Canadian/Halloween thing.... I am an American, I was widowed with six kids, then re-married a Canadian, and my family never celebrated Halloween UNTIL we moved to Canada! We did do costume parties, pumpkin carving, and fall harvest parties, but never ghosts and ghoulies, black cats and witches spells.
Fall has always been my favorite time of year as I love to can my own applesauce, peaches, etc.. I love freezing tons of loafs of zucchini bread, and making pumpkin muffins. Nothing smells better than apple cider simmering on the stove. But I digress...
My kids love halloween!! Its fun to be scared and use your imagination about "what" could be lurking out in the dark.
As an official "stamping" holiday however, I only have one stamp in my personal collection that would be a true Halloween stamp. Its a witch that says "Happy Halloween".... it was too cute to pass up (Made by Penny Black). I purchased it because I know that the kids share treats at school, and having a new baby girl, I figured that when she was in kindergarten we would have fun making it into a card topper for 3x3 ziploc bags filled with candy corn for her friends. Libby is not in Kindergarten yet (will be next year), and then I will get to use the stamp!!
I own High Hopes Rubber Stamps, a Canadian RS company, and we have over 1000 images in our catalogue. We do not have any Halloween stamps, but we do have many fall related stamps (like scarecrows and pumpkins, which I love!!). I realize there is a whole market out there to be tapped full of people who decorate for Halloween, and who might buy Halloween stamps, but we dont have any plans to be making any. Its just not that big of a deal to me, and I am more than happy to let the other companies make those images.
That is not to say that I do not LOVE to see someone's yard decorated with scarecrows, cobwebs, black cats, and ghosts hanging from the trees...or the witch that hit the side of the house or the tree... those crack me up, and make the kids laugh... its all good fun.
I make cards for all occasions, and I think that if I were to receive a "thinking of you" card that was a cool black cat or frankenstein (Whipper Snapper has the coolest Halloween Stamps)... I would smile and think it was awesome, I love anything sent in good fun!
For me, my favorite card making holiday is Valentines Day. I start making the kids Valentines in January. Their teachers are always anxious to see what we come up with each year. I buy 3"x3" and 4"x4" ziploc bags off of ebay to fill with themed candies to match my cardstock and images. Where we live in Canada we have a store called the "Bulk Barn" that is a candy wonderland full of neato candies to match with anything from gummy worms, gummy bugs, and candy hearts to watermellon slices! I found the cutest little yellow ducky candies that I cannot wait to put with a card...
Maybe the whole "Halloween" thing is more location specific, than country specific? Just like at Christmas you see some neighborhoods decorated beautifully with lights and lawn ornaments, and others without..??
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #48  
Embossing Fanatic

As a Canadian who lived in the States (right outside San Francisco where Hallowe'en would seem worthy of a whole day off!), I can certainly state IMHO, that Hallowe'en is far more of a celebration than that which we see here. Of course (and I say this to my American colleagues every year), if you didn't have a Hallowe'en costume that went over your snowpants, you would be in trouble! Now, with global warming that is less and less a possibility, but here in Calgary, you never know!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:54 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your "location" I am from Sarnia too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickled-Tink
Wow...and I have a whole different perspective on the Canadian/Halloween thing.... I am an American, I was widowed with six kids, then re-married a Canadian, and my family never celebrated Halloween UNTIL we moved to Canada! We did do costume parties, pumpkin carving, and fall harvest parties, but never ghosts and ghoulies, black cats and witches spells.
Fall has always been my favorite time of year as I love to can my own applesauce, peaches, etc.. I love freezing tons of loafs of zucchini bread, and making pumpkin muffins. Nothing smells better than apple cider simmering on the stove. But I digress...
My kids love halloween!! Its fun to be scared and use your imagination about "what" could be lurking out in the dark.
As an official "stamping" holiday however, I only have one stamp in my personal collection that would be a true Halloween stamp. Its a witch that says "Happy Halloween".... it was too cute to pass up (Made by Penny Black). I purchased it because I know that the kids share treats at school, and having a new baby girl, I figured that when she was in kindergarten we would have fun making it into a card topper for 3x3 ziploc bags filled with candy corn for her friends. Libby is not in Kindergarten yet (will be next year), and then I will get to use the stamp!!
I own High Hopes Rubber Stamps, a Canadian RS company, and we have over 1000 images in our catalogue. We do not have any Halloween stamps, but we do have many fall related stamps (like scarecrows and pumpkins, which I love!!). I realize there is a whole market out there to be tapped full of people who decorate for Halloween, and who might buy Halloween stamps, but we dont have any plans to be making any. Its just not that big of a deal to me, and I am more than happy to let the other companies make those images.
That is not to say that I do not LOVE to see someone's yard decorated with scarecrows, cobwebs, black cats, and ghosts hanging from the trees...or the witch that hit the side of the house or the tree... those crack me up, and make the kids laugh... its all good fun.
I make cards for all occasions, and I think that if I were to receive a "thinking of you" card that was a cool black cat or frankenstein (Whipper Snapper has the coolest Halloween Stamps)... I would smile and think it was awesome, I love anything sent in good fun!
For me, my favorite card making holiday is Valentines Day. I start making the kids Valentines in January. Their teachers are always anxious to see what we come up with each year. I buy 3"x3" and 4"x4" ziploc bags off of ebay to fill with themed candies to match my cardstock and images. Where we live in Canada we have a store called the "Bulk Barn" that is a candy wonderland full of neato candies to match with anything from gummy worms, gummy bugs, and candy hearts to watermellon slices! I found the cutest little yellow ducky candies that I cannot wait to put with a card...
Maybe the whole "Halloween" thing is more location specific, than country specific? Just like at Christmas you see some neighborhoods decorated beautifully with lights and lawn ornaments, and others without..??
Old 09-06-2006, 02:54 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Wow, I can't believe so many people have answered my question! This is great! I love all the reasons you are giving for your love or dislove (LOL) of the the holiday. Keep them coming!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:28 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

I was just wondering this the other day. We live in the US and we decorate for fall time (nothing scary though, but that's just me), and just love all that fall has to offer. However, I haven't ever made a halloween card, but I have made an occasional fall card (maybe one or two, for a fall b-day) with pumpkins, leaves etc. We do the trick or treating thing.... Our DS usually gets one halloween card in the mail from my DH's SIL (not a stamped one though ), but I haven't ever sent any or made any specifically for halloween..... There are some really cute halloween cards and projects out there though and heck if it gives others a reason to stamp, then that's awesome!!!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

This has been an interesting thread...I only make 2 cards at Halloween - my daughter & sister who live in different states! This year I'm sending them out to a group I belong to here at SCS!!! I love looking at all the Halloween cards - they are funny, whimsical, scary, cute, and creative!!! Just look at one that my friend Rachel did & see if you don't smile!http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...15&limit=last1
Old 09-06-2006, 03:57 AM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

We don't even do halloween because my son who is 10 is "too old for halloween, MOM!" So I don't do cards, and I don't have pictures to scrapbook. Halloween is just no fun for me
Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #54  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Ha! One of many reasons I'm glad that in Canada, Thanksgiving is not about pilgrims and stereotypical, romanticised NA Indian imagery, but just about being thankful for what we have and for being able to spend time with family and friends (and eat too much pumpkin pie).
American here, and we never thought thanksgiving was about indians and pilgrims, though that is where thanksgiving came from. We have always celebrated being together and what we are thankful for, and family. I am part american indian, mostly Scottish though, but totally think the "stereotypical, romanticised NA Indian imagery" doesn't really come into play in most american households. Now if you said Turkey and football that is more the american thing.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I've always sent at least one Halloweeen card because my most favorite Aunt's birthday is Halloween. The past couple of years I have begun to make Halloween cards, but never with a Halloween stamp set. This year I bought the Booglie Eyes SUp set because I thought it was just too cute. And now that there is some exclusive Halloween paper available this year, I will definitely be making some cards. Every year I do make a scrapbook page honoring the long tradition of trick-o'-treating. My kids are still young enough to enjoy it.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Old 09-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #56  
immzw4

My older sons are 14 and 15 and they still dress up and go trick-or-treating. Of course, now they say it's because they have to take their little brother (3 years old) out to get candy. I think they just hate to have to give up the fun. My daughter last trick-or-treated when she was 17, I think. We're all little kids at my house!

I think even if my kids did decide they didn't "do" halloween, I'd still be dressing up and being crazy. Even if it was just to make them roll their eyes at me.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:19 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

I love Halloween, deck out the houe and the kids and usually attend a costume party. I don't send cards though but I don't send them for Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Easter or St Patty's Day either. I barely get them out at Christmas. The last 2 years I made them but never sent them so this year I'm set. Maybe I'll get them out.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:30 AM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
American here, and we never thought thanksgiving was about indians and pilgrims, though that is where thanksgiving came from. We have always celebrated being together and what we are thankful for, and family. I am part american indian, mostly Scottish though, but totally think the "stereotypical, romanticised NA Indian imagery" doesn't really come into play in most american households. Now if you said Turkey and football that is more the american thing.
I agree with you we don't do the pilgrim/indian thing either. It's about being with family and being thankful for what you have and where we live. I was ignorant about Canadians celebrating Thanksgiving. I'm glad to hear we have more in common. This reminds me of when we took a trip to London with the kids. My DD wanted to know what the British did on 4th of July! I told her work, it's a regular day for them!
Old 09-06-2006, 04:58 AM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

My sister is almost 10 years older than me and went to college when I was 9. She always sent me a Halloween card to let me know that she was thinking of me. I only send Halloween cards to her kids when they were little (in and out of college now) and to her and her dh cuz it has a special meaning for us. I don't receive them from anyone. But I think getting a cute homemade card anytime is great and a "pick me up" (unless for religious reasons you don't celebrate/believe in Halloween which isn't the case for us)

Andrea
Old 09-06-2006, 05:16 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04
Sorry folks but I just don't get it! What's up with Halloween cards? I don't know if it's me or a Canadian thing but I just cannot get excited about making cards for Halloween. I wouldn't even know who to give said cards to. Is there anyone else out there who feels the same way or am I just a freak of nature?
I hope this thread doesn't offend anyone because it was not meant to. I'm just askin'.
Nope, you're not a freak. I don't get Halloween cards either. I don't own any Halloween sets. My kids do the trick or treat thing, and there are treats at school, but it's not a stamping holiday for me.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday! Even before I started making cards I always sent Halloween cards.Hallmark loved to see me coming!!!!I send them to everyone I know!Young & old!We probably put up the same amount of decorations for Halloween as we do for Christmas.Lights,spiders,ghosts,I especially love my 6 foot tall Frankenstein that stands by my front door!And I can't forget the skeletons and tomb stones! Lots of Jack o lanterns as well.The party stores here have had Halloween costumes out since July!I love to see what the kids are dressed up as in our neighborhood when they come to trick or treat.We were receiving party invitations in July because the people didn't want you to have time to make other plans!!!So...Halloween is a pretty fun time around our house.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

And as a quick note....there are only adults at our house...no kids(unless you count my 21 year old).
Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 AM   #63  
Forum Fanatic

Hey Terri! You'll have to post a pic of your decorations in your gallery! I know, I know, long time no hear from I'll send you a pm.

We've always done the Halloween thing at our house with my kids, they've always done trick or treating and in my old neighborhood we would sit outside if it was a warm night and give out candy. Now I decorate for my grandkids and they come to my neighborhood to trick or treat. I make up cute little baskets of candy for the little kids. I've always sent Halloween cards to the grandkids and now that I'm stamping I'll be making them cards. I don't really dress up but have in the past, one of my former co-workers always had a huge Halloween party and we would all dress up. I do wear my Halloween socks that whole week before Halloween and my Halloween sweatshirt!

Kathi

Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Old 09-06-2006, 06:43 AM   #64  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

We don't even do halloween because my son who is 10 is "too old for halloween, MOM!" So I don't do cards, and I don't have pictures to scrapbook. Halloween is just no fun for me
{{{{{{{{Momofoneson}}}}}}}}}

Well, I could take a pic of me in my fairy costume and send it to you, and then you could scrap that!

Would that help you have a fun Halloween?

OK, seriously? Please don't ask me to do it. I've gained some weight and I can't get the zipper up in the back and the darn thing shows off every bulge along my midriff . . .

My DD borrowed the costume for some event at the h.s. last spring, and she tore my wings and snapped m'wand!!!!

All I could send would be a pic of a very frumpy and bedraggled lookin' overweight fairy . . .
Old 09-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #65  
Watercolor Wizard

I live in the UK, so we don't really make a big deal of Halloween. The kids dress up and go trick or treating, but even then it would only be small children and it would be nowhere near the scale of the US. I think the Halloween set are really cute but I would never send one to anyone. But if anyone wants to send Halloween cards it is my anniversary and cards would be gratefully received, even with a witch on the front, my hubby would say that was an accurate portrayal!
But then I would only send a Valentine to my husband and we don't celebrate Thanksgiving at all, you are giving thanks that you are no longer ruled by the British!
The only big holiday over here that we would generally send cards for is Christmas. Easter I would send cards, but that is because I am Catholic, but it is not normal over here to send Easter cards.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well my husband and I usually have an open house because we live on a secluded dark road and my DD can't really trick or treat, so we use them as an invite, but like so many others really just an excuse to stamp...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

American here, and we never thought thanksgiving was about indians and pilgrims, though that is where thanksgiving came from.
Woohoo! Glad to hear it! My perceptions of American Thanksgiving have been heavily influenced by TV specials that show kids playing pilgrims and Indians in pageants (think Charlie Brown) and Tgiving craft and decor items. Your origins of the holiday are different from ours,but it sounds like maybe the actual differences are mostly the football thing, the Macy's parade, Black Friday, and of course the time of year.

In Canada, Thanksgiving has its roots in giving thanks for a successful harvest, though the first Tgiving celebrated in North America was thrown in 1578 by an Englishman in Newfoundland and Labrador area to give thanks for suriviving his long trip to try and find the Northwest Passage to Asia through North America.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

I send Halloween cards to my DD and her siblings are her dad & stepmom's house. And when DH was deployed last year I sent one to him. That's about it though.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #69  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Woohoo! Glad to hear it! My perceptions of American Thanksgiving have been heavily influenced by TV specials that show kids playing pilgrims and Indians in pageants (think Charlie Brown) and Tgiving craft and decor items. Your origins of the holiday are different from ours,but it sounds like maybe the actual differences are mostly the football thing, the Macy's parade, Black Friday, and of course the time of year.

In Canada, Thanksgiving has its roots in giving thanks for a successful harvest, though the first Tgiving celebrated in North America was thrown in 1578 by an Englishman in Newfoundland and Labrador area to give thanks for suriviving his long trip to try and find the Northwest Passage to Asia through North America.
Here's some info that you may find useful reference with regards to:

Thanksgiving in the US
Old 09-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #70  
Stampin' Fool

I haven't had a chance to read through all of this--but I think of it as another opportunity to send a smile. It always brightens my day when there is something in the mail that doesn't require the shredder or a check to be enclosed in the additional envelope provided. (wow--long, terrible sentence!) I've seen so many cute cards made with Booglie Eyes that I can't wait till mine gets here!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #71  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up Couldn't pass up posting ...

because Halloween is my favorite holiday. I have more Halloween decor tham Christmas. Part of it might be my theatre background, being someone else for a day. Being as outrageous as you want without being thought of as weird. Now that I have a child (4 y.o. dd), it's even more fun and she loves it, too. I also like the creativity of coming up with and making your own costume. No pre-assembled, store made costumes for us! The hunt for the perfect accessories and components is fun!

As far as cards, I love that there is no obligitory feeling to send them. I can send them to whoever I want. At Christmas, so many of the cards I make and send are because I feel like I have to. I also feel that a lot that we receive were sent because "we were on their list." Not that I don't appreciate them, it just doesn't feel quite as special as getting one because someone really wanted to send it. I mostly just send to other friends/family that love Halloween. I try to send out as many just because cards throughout the year just to brighten people's day, Halloween is just another reason. Does any of this make sense?
An - SCS member #44271
"I'm a mystery wrapped in a riddle, covered with chocolate sprinkles." - Cookie Monster
my tiny gallery
Old 09-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #72  
blueflowerę

I've never made a card for Halloween. We falter on the fence with celebrating Halloween so that's my reason for having not made a card.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #73  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
{{{{{{{{Momofoneson}}}}}}}}}
OK, seriously? Please don't ask me to do it. I've gained some weight and I can't get the zipper up in the back and the darn thing shows off every bulge along my midriff . . .

All I could send would be a pic of a very frumpy and bedraggled lookin' overweight fairy . . .

Too funny! It's a good thing I have thanksgiving and christmas, hmmm...even easter isn't celebrated in the usual way. He made me tell him if the easter bunny was real. Well I am still holding on to Santa, St. Nicholas who is a very real Christmas spirit!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #74  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Here's some info that you may find useful reference with regards to:

Thanksgiving in the US
Thanks Julie,
Could you repost this site because, unfortunately, I can't get it. I'd love to read up on your Thanksgiving.
Connie
Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #75  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04
Thanks Julie,
Could you repost this site because, unfortunately, I can't get it. I'd love to read up on your Thanksgiving.
Connie
Oooh, I found a good one here:

Thanksgiving in the US
Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #76  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I musta screwed up the web addy of the one I had originall posted, but the Wikipedia one is good/helpful
Old 09-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #77  
immzw4

"Thanksgiving" seems as old as time, even in North America where strange myth and lore mix with the celebration.

http://qumran.com/Holiday_Files/than...g_question.htm

I know that traditional Thanksgiving celebrations had nothing to do with the indians and pilgrims, and that isn't really what it means today, but years of drawing hand turkeys and pilgrim's hats and indian regalia in school have left a pretty strong mark on me. Even if that is just Peanuts Propaganda, it's what I grew up with and it makes me kind of shaky now.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

I'm Canadian (well, half American, half Canadian) and I love Halloween more than Christmas! We always made a big deal out of it when I was a kid in the 60's, the school and town decorated and handed out candy, the town is small enough that we could "work" the whole town in one evening! LOL We even got time in the morning to colour and decorate our loot bag (brown paper shopping bag) and had a party and contest in the afternoon...so pretty well the whole day of school off. (this all changed once that school closed and we were bussed to a larger school)
It was also my Mums b-day, so that made it a special reason to celebrate in our house.

...now that my kids are grown and gone I don't decorate the front porch quite as scarey as my son and I did when he was a teen, but I still spend hours carving pumpkins and decorating for fall/halloween/thanksgiving. We did the pumpkin patch, corn maize, haunted house tours every year and participated in many of them that were charitiy fundraisers. I used to go into the schools and make big papier mache spiders that bounced on elastic strings with the kids every year - I was the "spider lady" to my kids class mates - haha I still hang those from the porch ceiling.

I also collect vintage Halloween collectibles and Halloween reproductions that are on permanent display in a corner of my studio. I am always on the lookout for halloween light strings too - pumpkins, skeletons, ghosts, spiders and webs - gotta have them!

Hubby is retiring soon and we are moving back to my family home. I can't wait to have a big party and invite all my cousins that still live in the area to come and celebrate Mums birthday...in "spirit" only!

Halloween is a great reason to send an "anytime" card to give someone a smile...

J
..funny thing is I pretty well HATE orange the rest of the year but once the weather starts to cool down orange and black are my favorites and I dig out my orange chenille sweater
Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #79  
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

Halloween is my FAVORITE holiday. Yes, more than Christmas. I LOVE it! I go all out. My DH and I collect costumes and use more than one every year with different events etc. We have a party and go to other people's parties. I would make the cards as invites to our party.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #80  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Totally send tons of Halloween cards, to family, friends, anyone I can think of. For me Halloween starts the holiday season! I've decorated to the nines for halloween since my girls were small (my youngest DD's birthday is in October) and we always had the house decorated for her birthday. For the most part, I keep the same decorations out for Thanksgiving, and turn my jack-o-laterns around just to have pumpkins at Thanksgiving. When my girls were in middle school, some years ago, we started having an open house for their friends, to gather here before they went out. I always had a fire lit in the yard, chili on the stove and plenty of softdrinks on hand. Now that they are in highschool and college, they still want the chili, and their friends still stop by. I would be in big trouble if I didn't have the annual chili fest on Halloween night!