Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any suggestions for making ART for the wall?

I need 2 large pictures on the wall behind my living room couch. I have searched around for along time trying to find real framed art, with no luck. I just can't find something I love. So I keep thinking I should make something, even if it's temporary. My entire house is in a transitional phase, out with the old and in with the new. My style before was sort of contemporary without being funky. Now I want to do timeless, sort of traditional, really comfortable, because I'm not formal. Nothing too trendy. I've checked the galleries, mainly I find those name frames. I know in the past I seen framed art work but I can't find it again. Seeing some stamped art would help, but I want ideas. For some reason I can see some ideas as far as small framed art, but I go blank when I'm trying to come up with a large idea. I also thought that if I do manage to make something nice enough to hang on the wall, using my stamps and supplies, my dh would see the TRUE value of my room full of stamping stuff! I can hope, anyway! Thanks for any creative ideas.
Dina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Have you seen some of the gorgeous canvas art made by fellow SCS'ers? I wish I could remember who in particular, but maybe you could go that route...

Maybe someone on here can lead you to those ideas, I checked my favorites but didn't save them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 09:53 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

The canvas scrapbook pages are so gorgeous. mkkimber (? I think I got that right) made one that I completely love. You can also make your own art - canvas is fairly cheap and you can buy already stretched/framed canvas at Hobby Lobby and other places and paint with acrylics. My kids and I did this as a 'project' and I loved theirs so much that they hang over our fireplace. I just chose three colors and left them to do what they wanted. We love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you for your suggestions. I went to Joanns, and stared at the large canvases. I just can't see how I could make something large enough. Also, the large canvases seem too modern. I think I'm going to try doing some smaller canvases first and see if that inspires me. I've seen some done like scrapbook pages and although I love them, that is not the art I want for my living room since they need to fill a large wall. Again thanks for your ideas.
Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Well if attaching the link works these are two new pictures I just spotted tonight! I think these are beautiful!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

My son got into serious trouble years ago for creating "art work" for the wall. LOL I really love the framed stamped art in the links above. Beautiful. If you use large frames with mats, your stamped piece would not have to be as big. If you have a Old Time Pottery, you can often find great frames for a good price. They usually have art in them, but you can just replace that. Be sure to post a picture when you get through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

When I was in JoAnn's the other day (and we don't have a superstore), there was a display of Christopher Lowell books. One was about wall art and I thought there were some interesting things that most anyone could accomplish. It wasn't with rubber stamps, but it might give you some ideas.
One thing they showed was an arrangement of the Basic Grey 12 x 12 papers glued to 12 x 12 canvas frames. The edge of the canvas was painted to finish the look. I believe the papers that were used were the Basic Grey Mortifica design, kind of architectural yet colorful. The wall arrangement included 6 different coordinating papers. I've seen the technique done on one of the HGTV shows. After the paper or print is adhesed to the canvas and the edges painted, they "seal" the paper by lightly drybrushing on varnish in a "slip slap" kind of way with a large bristle brush. Gives an oil painting kind of sheen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I love this idea! I just got some of the new Daisy D's Gypsy Harvest paper. The golds and burdundys would look great in my living room. Never would have thought to display them like that. TFS!!!

(I can't believe I had that wrong all this time!!)

Visit Caseville
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Of course, that would be BURGUNDYs...

(I can't believe I had that wrong all this time!!)

Visit Caseville
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2006, 03:07 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thumbs up These 2 are truly great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deca1964

Well if attaching the link works these are two new pictures I just spotted tonight! I think these are beautiful!!!
As soon as I saw the title to your thread the 2 above mentioned pieces came to mind -- I just spotted them yesterday as well -- they appear to be very large and they are GORGEOUS!!!

I did a piece a few weeks back that a lot of my friends have liked, and here's the link to it -- a triple framed piece:

I, too, would be interested in seeing more art pieces for the wall, so I'll be checking back to this thread. Good luck, and I hope you post whatever you come up with!!!

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store/Stamp Simply Clear Stamps

MY BLOG -- No Time To Stamp?

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2006, 03:44 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by notimetostamp
As soon as I saw the title to your thread the 2 above mentioned pieces came to mind -- I just spotted them yesterday as well -- they appear to be very large and they are GORGEOUS!!!

I did a piece a few weeks back that a lot of my friends have liked, and here's the link to it -- a triple framed piece:

I, too, would be interested in seeing more art pieces for the wall, so I'll be checking back to this thread. Good luck, and I hope you post whatever you come up with!!!

Wow! What a great looking set! Love the wall art. Am thinking of trying this idea myself...but not sure I have any stamps it would work with...hmmmm...
"thinking as I rummage through my rather small collections of stamps"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2006, 06:18 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Debra just posted her framed artwork for her living room the other day.....it is beautiful.
Debra's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by photocropper
Debra just posted her framed artwork for her living room the other day.....it is beautiful.
Debra's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
OOPS!! I should click on links before I post!! These were already posted...sorry for the duplicate.:rolleyes:

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes