Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 483 Likes on 171 Posts
Default What's The Curtis like?

A friend and I are staying at The Curtis. Any news to share about how it is?

Hope you're all having a blast!

We are all one child spinning through Mother Sky. (Shawnee proverb)

My little blog: http://mypaperantics.blogspot.com/

My Webshots albums:http://community.webshots.com/user/stampinusa[/url]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Curtis

We are at the Curtis and we are very pleased. Its a fun hotel with themes for every floor. THe staff is very responsive and fun. THe hotel is very close to the center. You'll love it.

mojoStamper.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

We just got back from the pajama stamp-a-rama and found packs of Jelly Bellys on our pillows! This place is great!! Very fun and upbeat hotel.

Kathy's Korner ~ The Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Not a far walk at all and the hotel is so funky that it keeps you up beat through out the day!!! Love IT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

LOVE IT! We have a great room, and it is the coolest "funky" place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's great! Very easy walk to the Convention Center. The staff is great, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Curtis Hotel

We've enjoyed our stay too. It's clean, the staff is great and it has a Martini bar off the lobby!

T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Default How short of a walk

I was wondering how short of a walk it is to the convention center - It looks like the center is pretty big, so do you have to walk 1 or 2 blocks to the center, and then walk a long way through or are the SU activities close by where you would walk in from the Curtis?

Sounds like good reviews so far! It will be fun to be there next week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

hi. We are staying at the curtis and are very happy there. The restaruant is good and when we got back to the room at night, there was jelly beans on our pillow one night and a tootsie roll the next! FUN!!! You gotta love a place that leaves you candy on your pillow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I'm at the Curtis, too...and I highly recommend it for all of the reasons listed already...and for this one: Each floor has a theme. I'm on the ninth floor, which is the Big Hair Floor. Marge Simpson announces the floor when the elevator doors open, and all of the artwork features people with big hair. Very cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp with janetView Post
I was wondering how short of a walk it is to the convention center - It looks like the center is pretty big, so do you have to walk 1 or 2 blocks to the center, and then walk a long way through or are the SU activities close by where you would walk in from the Curtis?

Sounds like good reviews so far! It will be fun to be there next week!
It's about the equivalent of a 3-4 city block walk to the center, then most of the SU! stuff is on the far side/back side of the center. You enter thru the front doors to get everywhere. You will want decent shoes.

Also, I have a bad back and as much as I loved the convention bag, it was too heavy for me and a bit unwieldy so I am using one of the too cute Mini catalogs bags and just my small purse. Much better!

Restaurant is a bit pricey for what they serve but there are plenty of other options around. There is a great breakfast place called the Paradise Cafe on 16th street. Just walk down Curtis street and cross 16th to the other side and go left. It's about 3 stores down. Closed on Weekends (business district) but great baked goods and even great hot breakfast options. Best of all, it's quick service and good coffee so you can avoid the extremely long lines at the Starbucks.......

Hotel is great - very fun!

Enjoy Session 2 - we've had a blast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default Loved the Curtis!

Yes to all before - but don't forget to check out the happy hour at the adjoining restaurant, called The Office! $2.50 appetizers, $5 entrees (burgers, spring rolls, turkey club) and $5 Martinis! The Ruby Red Grapefruit Martini is out of this world - as are the szechuan shoestring french fries, and the Hummus with fresh pita bread... am I food oriented or what? Have fun, we were on the "Chick Flick" floor that had a Charlie's Angels logo and an mirror etched with the phrase "you had me at hello..." So cute! Finally, the service is awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: I don't stamp, I just talk about stamping on the internet!

Just got back from the Curtis. Liked it, overall. They were a bit short-staffed. Watch room service breakfast. The first day it was 1 hour late for us. Then the next two days they never gave us a breakfast menu and we had to call twice to request one. They did better on the timing of breakfast the 2nd day. If you get the "Blueberry Cheesecake waffles" you can share with someone - they are HUGE!

We also liked Sam's No.3 restaurant which is kiddie corner from the Curtis across 15th street. They have great ice cream there!!
Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

The Curtis is great with very friendly staff. The room serivce is tough to get, but you can eat quickly in the restaurant in the morning and it is fantastic!! Great rooms. Two short blocks to the convention center.

Sue's gallery
www.stampinwithsue.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Default Curtis Hotel

I don't think I would stay there again... three times we were evacuated from the hotel because someone decided to smoke in their room... ugh... we were on the 11th floor. Walking up and down the stairs 11 flights was a pain.

We didn't have any toilet paper and had to use tissue, and they threw my contact container away and I didn't have anything to store them in... I realized this at 12:00 am.

It was a fun atmosphere, but the elevators were small... when convention got out, sometimes there were lines out the door to get on them. The restaurant was awesome... great food and good prices.

Good luck... one good think we got see some cute fire fighters...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Cool

Just got back from Convention, and I'd stay at the Curtis again. The only thing was the long wait for the elevator, but considering there were so many people from our convention plus the Hunter-Douglas convention there, it was a full house. The service was very good. I forgot my toothbrush, and they brought one up to me when I just inquired if they had a little shop to buy one. We were able to check-out via the tv which was really helpful, and our room was pretty clean.

Room service on the first day of convention was a bit slow, but the breakfast was pretty ok. I'm not too sure about the restaurant on the corner. It all depends on your taste buds. In CA, we have a lot of fusion restaurants so if I were to compare, this one wasn't up to par. I did like the martinis though. The calamari and rock shrimp was pretty tasty. If you want to play it safe, Sam's No. 3 is a good place for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. It's affordable and you leave satisfied.

Have fun at convention!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

We were at the Curtis too, overall it was great. We were evacuated 2 of the 3 times there were fire alarms (happened to already be outside for the 1st one). Believe me, going outside in my PJ's at 6am is not a pretty site, then I walked up to the 13th floor instead of taking the elevator because I didn't want to wait (can you say heart attack). Great scrapbook moments! BUT the alarms are not the hotel's fault, they are the fault of the person who tried to smoke in their room and the person who tried to disarm the smoke detector in their room. The staff was wonderful and very friendly. We too thought we had a toilet paper issue but the "spare" rolls were in the closet vs in the bathroom, oops! So if you start running low, look there.

We had fun going around and taking goofy pictures in the different themes (our picture with the Charlie's Angels wall hanging ROCKS!), we'll be having some great scrapbook pages! We avoided our floor a little---13th floor---horror movies eeeekkkkk!!!

Overall, it was a great hotel and I'd definately stay there again! Have a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I stayed at the Curtis too and was on 11th flooor which got evacuated 'cos of the stupidity of another guest! My room was clean and the bed was very comfortable with great pillows. My only 'complaint' was the noise of the airconditioning unit but it was effective and kept my room at the temperature I needed. Also the staff were very friendly and more than willing to help with whatever you needed.If I ever were to go to Denver again(which is highly unlikely) I would happily stay at the Curtis again and I'm really 'fussy' about where I stay!! I like my comforts.

I didn't like the heat in Denver and I found with that and the elevation of the city (way above sea level) it was more of a problem than the actual distance to the Convention Centre. Take comfortable shoes probaly best with socks to prevent blisters and such, as walking thru to the SU parts of the Centre was quite a trek. If you also suffer with feet and ankle swelling when flying, it could be a problem while you're there so be prepared. A big must for those not used to the dry heat, drink PLENTY of water, you'll need it to save you get dehydrated. As for the centre, there was not always enough bottles of water for all at lunch time but don't neglect to get some. There's apparently a 711 within easy walking distance of the Curtis. At the Curtis the bottles of water were $2 (Salvation Liquid in a blue bottle!) so not cheap!

Have as much of a blast as my friends and I did!

BTW the 11th floor is "The Chic Flick" floor!

Word for November 2017: Choices
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Default I'm glad I'm not the only one

Regarding the contact case thrown away by housecleaning... they threw away my Stampin' Scrub pads! I had washed them out, squeezed out the extra water and leaned them up against the outside of the shower to dry. They were there when I left in the morning, and gone when I got home around 5 pm. I filed a report... we'll see what happens.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

We LOVED The Curtis. For all of us who suffered through numerous alarms, thanks to those people who just had to break the rules and smoke in their rooms, you all will be happy to know that the gal who checked us out assured us that they charge the rule breakers for the fire department having to come out. We were on the 12th floor - dance floor - with a mountain view which was heavenly for this flat landed North Dakota girl:-). We had room service each day and we did not have any problems and the staff was exceptional as far as customer service goes. I have already sent a letter off to the company praising their fantastic staff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Bummer... my contact case and contacts wasn't as bad a that... overall the Curtis wasn't bad, I guess it could have been worse... I could have stayed at the Holiday Inn... I heard that was a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Just to let you know (if you're there still and have issues with the fire alarms...) we politely asked if they had compensated anyone for the trouble with all of the evacuations and they comped our $30 roomservice bill. Just saying you might ask if the trouble continues - otherwise that place was AWESOME!

Are our SU! Ohio post-its still in the bathroom in the bar? Loved the mirror ball!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

If I had known how comfy the beds and pillows were - I would've gone 2 days earlier just to sleep! I wore ear plugs so the air conditioning didn't bother me. The hummus in the restaurant was great - I usually don't like it - but I liked theirs! We were on the 14th floor so the smoke alarm didn't affect us. Front desk were very polite and helpful. I'd stay there again!
The breakfast smoothies were just fruit and juice - no yogurt and ice like I'm used to - it was 5-10 minutes late than we asked for but they phoned to let us know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I am loving the Curtis right now. No fire alarms that we know of.

Breakfast kitty-corner at Sam's is super. Lots of men in there -- locals, work guys, cops -- so they know what makes a good breakfast. At home I eat yogurt with granola and fruit. Sam's serves a breakfast banana split which is a banana sliced length-wise, topped with yogurt, granola and fruit in a banana split bowl. So I'm getting healthy food instead of cholesterol laden bacon.

Friendly staff at the Curtis -- making recommendations on where to eat, and even what to order.

No long wait for the elevators.

A super hotel.

Last edited by mcbetty; 08-01-2007 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Love, love, love the Curtis!!
If you like fusion foods, don't hesitate to try the Corner Office or their room service menu. Didn't like the crab pad thai but everything else was divine! The calamari salad is huge and tasty. The lamb chops were yummy too.The appetizers are amazing and price wise, it was great.

My biggest regret was to not try the desserts- the lychee pannacotta and Key lime Creme Brulee- they sounded divine!

I love the attention to detail-the turn down service in the evenings with a treat on the pillow, and how well the rooms were cleaned, despite us being very messy with our half cut swap pieces strewn all over the beds.... they managed to make the beds and place the half finished swaps exactly where they found them- and we didn't find any missing items like scrubs or contact lens case- but we didn't bring any either!!

So-I'd return to the Curtis in a heartbeat!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

It's great! Very nice & fun!
Reply With Quote Likes