Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liking stamps vs. using stamps

Hello!

I keep going back and forth on this issue when I buy stamp sets and when I decide which I want to get rid of. Some I just LIKE so I get, and then I don't use them. Some I don't really like but I know they are useful so I buy them. Do any of you run into this? And then some I buy KNOWING they have limited use but when I do need them they will be great.

Do you buy stamps you like? That you can use? Both?

Here are some sets that I liked but just can't find a use for in what I do-- Tickled Pink (Flamingos), Monkey Business, the old Wanda set, Life Cycles and It's Academic. I know these are all specialized sets, so that's probably why, but it's frustrating because I KNOW they are good sets.

And on Monkey Business. I don't even like monkeys!!!! My son asked me why, and when we watched Jumanji yesterday I told him "THAT'S WHY!" Those monkeys are CREEPY!

Enjoy your evening!!

Cindy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi - this is so funny! The monkeys are valuable - ya know. I have the flamingoes and love them - but have only used for a couple of cards. I buy sets I like and sets I think I will use - and then don't use any of them enough. I am getting better though ( my cards still cost $25 plus each). I am working getting this cost down even though I am steadily buying more STUFF. Sorry I rambled - don't know if I answered the question. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I call them "good idea at the time stamps". They are those ones that you must have right now and then you get them and go 'ummm what was I thinking?'

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wish I could buy stamps that I think are going to be useful but I can only buy sets that I actually like and so I tend to limit myself.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I stalk the gallery and try to make sure I can come up with at least one card design I would either CASE completely, modify or come up with something original for before I buy a new set... even better if I can "borrow" a friend's and try it out 1st!! I just talked myself out of getting headline that way - just had to admit, even though I REALLY like it; it is really close in size and almost identical to another i have. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I only buy stamps that I like and are useful. If I would only be able to make a few cards with a stamp I couldn't justify spending the money on it. My sets are few but my ideas are many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I too am getting better at buying sets that I will actually use. I sometime get sets that I plan on using, but I am just not good enough to get the look I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that I'm new to stamping, I had the wan't list from (you know) where. I kept re-doing and re-doing. I think by going back and looking at certain sets I was able to not buy all the *wants* and more of the *will use*. I try to talk myself out of this stamp for just one thing too!
Hard to do with the goodies they pack in front of us!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I always buy stamp sets I like and just never do enough stamping to use a lot of them. Here's something I've started doing. When we go away for a weekend, or if I'm allowing myself some free weekend stamping time-I pick a set that I haven't used in a while (or haven't used at all!) and make a bunch of cards with just that set. It's been fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 05:33 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I absolutely do the same thing. And to top it off, I'm not willing to part with any of my sets. I have found that my tastes change, and I figure I might like some of those "what was I thinking" sets again. Sometimes I buy a set with great intentions, and then as I'm cutting it out I'm already drawing a blank as to what to do with it. The gallery on this site has really helped remind me why I even liked the set in the 1st place. On the bad side the gallery has also convinced me that I like a set, that I originally didn't think I needed.
I read a great tip recently, and I'm sorry I don't remember where I read it, or who's idea it was, but here goes....The idea is to use what ever craft item, especially stamp sets one use per $1.00 value, so if a set was $20.00 make 20 cards with it. Then you can justify the money spent, and it will also help in making the decision whether to buy a set in the future. I do think there are plenty of stamps that are so specific to a certain use, but if you can some how manage 1 use per $ spent then the set is worth purchasing. One thing I already try to do, is purchase sets that I can use for card making and scrapbooking. One of my goals besides following the $ use rule, is to go thru every stamp set and make at least 3 very different cards with it. The important thing is that the cards are all very different, because for me when I see a set I seem to have an idea of how I can see the set being used, but as we can see from the gallery here each set has limitless possibilities. I need to think outside the box.
So anyway, you are not alone. I have many unused stamp sets. This thread might be just what I needed to start implementing my goal, and actually use my sets. Thanks.
Dina
Reply With Quote Likes