Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   What is your SECOND favourite craft/hobby? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/what-your-second-favourite-craft-hobby-625387/)

gregzgurl 07-30-2018 05:47 AM

I haven't chimed in before because I can't nail down an answer to the question (still haven't). I guess my over-arching "hobby" is trying a bunch of everything! I flit from thing to thing (often not finishing one before plowing into another) and have always, always been this way. I found two books (The Renaissance Soul by Margaret Lobenstine and Refuse to Choose by Barbara Sher) that made me feel much better about my inability to isolate a single passion - or even narrow down the options. In no particular order, I enjoy: reading, jigsaw puzzles, Sudoku, playing piano, volleyball, painting, beaded jewelry, sewing, upholstery, interior design, organizing (!), writing (essays, mostly), research (on whatever my interest is at the moment), planning retirement - including a Skoolie to hit the road in (almost have DH on board). When we had a house with a yard I enjoyed planting things (it wasn't really gardening), but my desert apartment balcony likes to watch things die, so I gave up. I also enjoy cross stitch, but haven't done it for a bit because my eyes are old and tired...

stampin stacy 07-30-2018 06:02 AM

https://images.splitcoaststampers.co.../icon_wink.gif Lets be honest here our ...

favorite hobby is shopping for supplies

second fav is hording those supplies

then third is using our paper crafting supplies :D

duranfan 07-31-2018 08:45 AM

I absolutely love to read. Used to bake a lot, but not so much anymore. I also used to do a good bit of cross-stitching but don't do that anymore, either, although I'd like to get back to it. So mostly scrapbooking/rubberstamping and reading. I also want to get back to the piano. I started playing again (I absolutely love music) a few summers ago after a 30 year hiatus, when I was off work, but the last two summers have been so crazy busy I haven't been able to play.

efromhawaii 08-01-2018 12:04 AM

I just discovered Diamond Painting and absolutely love it. I was actually going to start cross stitching again but found this instead and am thoroughly addicted.

erin

MiamiKel4 08-01-2018 12:12 AM

Reading :)

Nothing more fabulous (to me) than perusing books in the library or book store or my personal fave - the second hand book shops! I could get lost for hours.

Mary Joan 08-01-2018 12:54 AM

Oh, too many to count! Cross stitch, knitting, crochet, patchwork, beading ( I make 42 beaded Christmas decorations for my family each year), reading, anything involving needles and thread, ..... At least I'm never bored.

pnzimmer 08-01-2018 02:27 AM

What�s your second favorite craft?

Crossstitch and needlepoint!
Love to read also.

Gabriella18 08-01-2018 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurene (Post 21693646)
My second favorite hobby at the moment is the Kindness Rock Project. I am painting and hiding rocks outdoors where they can be found...kept...re-hidden or act as inspiration for someone to join in and paint some. This was supposed to be a more temporary thing for me but it has been fun this summer. My family is doing it too. I am trying to detach and get back to stamping :)

I saw a lady find. Rock this past Saturday in Lancaster PA. She is taking it back with her to Indiana to hide

Gabriella18 08-01-2018 03:33 AM

My first favorite hobby is Scrapbooking , second is stamping cards. Though I do use stamping in my Scrapbooking. My Third favorite hobby is quilting. I also enjoy cooking , canning, baking, suduko, embroidery, crossword puzzles and reading. I will never garden as there appears to be something called dirt in the ground

sarahk47 08-01-2018 04:29 AM

Knitting is my other major hobby.

Cards are me 08-01-2018 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacy (Post 21695412)
https://images.splitcoaststampers.co.../icon_wink.gif Lets be honest here our ...

HAHAHAHA, so true.

My second favorite hobby is what ever needs to be done next. Right now I have two babies arriving this fall/winter. So busy knitting and crocheting. I love to read, puzzles, cooking, baking, spending time with my family.

Craftlover 08-01-2018 06:35 AM

Next favorite is beading, then
Crochet,
Knit,
Needlepoint

cardmaker2 08-01-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiKel4 (Post 21696427)
Reading :)

Nothing more fabulous (to me) than perusing books in the library or book store or my personal fave - the second hand book shops! I could get lost for hours.

Me too :)I love classic literature! Jane Austen is my favourite author by far. Then there are a lot of others I love

Bohodiva 08-01-2018 08:55 AM

Round and round I go...

I have issues, I know it and own them, but its all good. I go from one hobby to another in a creative cycle depending what has sparked my muse.
I moved into a new home in Nov. The first creative space set up was my sewing den. I was on a sewing kick Feb - Mar. It was a good productive run while it lasted. Once Spring sprung I was obsessed with setting up my garden Apr - May (until my body said it had enough!) In June, I finally set up my craft studio (workstations) so my attention has been redirected to papercrafting and printmaking, plus condensing, purging and organizing all my supplies so I can easily locate them for upcoming cardmaking sessions. Soon I'll re-visit my sewing projects building more inventory for the holiday season...

Teachybaby 08-01-2018 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=Soozie4Him;21692768]Reading!! But when I�m stamping a lot, I�m not reading, and when I�m reading a lot, my stamping suffers![/Q

Soozie, have you discovered audiobooks? I listen when I walk, clean, work in the garden AND when cutting paper, organizing supplies, gluing prepped cards, etc. Although I am trying to be less of a multitasker, old habits die hard, and combining reading (listening) with other hobbies and tasks makes me happy.

Bohodiva 08-01-2018 09:26 AM

[quote=Teachybaby;21696606]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4Him (Post 21692768)
Reading!! But when I�m stamping a lot, I�m not reading, and when I�m reading a lot, my stamping suffers![/Q

Soozie, have you discovered audiobooks? I listen when I walk, clean, work in the garden AND when cutting paper, organizing supplies, gluing prepped cards, etc. Although I am trying to be less of a multitasker, old habits die hard, and combining reading (listening) with other hobbies and tasks makes me happy.

I luv' audio books as well. Like you I listen to them while my hands are busy doing other things.:)

cardmaker2 08-01-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohodiva (Post 21696595)
I have issues, I know it and own them, but its all good. I go from one hobby to another in a creative cycle depending what has sparked my muse.
I moved into a new home in Nov. The first creative space set up was my sewing den. I was on a sewing kick Feb - Mar. It was a good productive run while it lasted. Once Spring sprung I was obsessed with setting up my garden Apr - May (until my body said it had enough!) In June, I finally set up my craft studio (workstations) so my attention has been redirected to papercrafting and printmaking, plus condensing, purging and organizing all my supplies so I can easily locate them for upcoming cardmaking sessions. Soon I'll re-visit my sewing projects building more inventory for the holiday season...

I have a similar ailment. Crafting ADD. Symptoms include inability to stay focused on one project at a time. There is no known cure but fortunately life span is not shortened due to condition. In fact, condition can lead to lead to increased enjoyment of life :)

bethduffdesigns 08-01-2018 10:01 AM

Netflix. All the netflix

bettyjoanes 08-01-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacy (Post 21695412)

HAHAHA! Except third should be organizing all the lovely supplies at least for me :p

kathg3262 08-01-2018 11:38 AM

Over the years I've been obsessed with several different craft mediums. Knitting, crocheting, liquid embroidery, plastic canvas, thread embroidery, cross stitch, counted cross stitch, quilting, sewing most of my life. For the past several years card making has been the all consuming passion. I have several unfinished projects from many of the mediums just waiting until the mood strikes again. But card making seems to trump them all. And SCS is the most empowering place I've ever known!!

merollin 08-01-2018 01:21 PM

First there's paper crafting...and everything else comes in second!!

Bohodiva 08-01-2018 01:49 PM

I've been reading your responses and noticed no one has listed cooking, lol :)
As for myself (and it is a good thing I'm single), I'm happy with a hard boiled egg and coffee for my daily breakfast, leftovers throughout the week from my one of day of cooking on Sunday. i'll usually make two entrees (for freezing and eating) If I want something different I'll stop by a grocery store deli counter and pick up a bag of salad. I have plenty of tomatos and cukes growing in my garden to dress it up.
When I'm in the creative zone working on a project cooking is not a consideration.
I praying for partner who loves to cook, clean and has hobbies to pursue so I can do my thing... lol :)

Dorie95 08-01-2018 03:02 PM

When I'm in the creative zone working on a project cooking is not a consideration.

Oh boy, do I know this! I have tried to explain to my DH that I cannot cook, clean, do laundry on days that I am creating cards. I can, however, be tempted to go out for any or all meals that day! LOL!

I used to have a full-time job, raised 3 kids, raised my husband, did all my chores, cooked, cleaned, was a helpful daughter and daugher-in-law, sewed, counted cross stitch, embroidered, made costumes and more.

Now I'm old and I just want to make cards! And that's that...

Rebecca Ednie 08-02-2018 12:08 PM

Since I use more than the typical paper crafting supplies I�d have to say mixed media canvases. But it still uses a lot of the same stuff. If you want to stray from Papercrafting all together, I make jewelry. I also do calligraphy which although on paper, isn�t in a typical Papercrafting skill.

PikkuLilla 08-02-2018 02:35 PM

Cross-stitching

LindaF409 08-03-2018 10:08 AM

For those that cross stitch, do you have any neat patterns for the stitching on cards? The grid is large with using dies and so small patterns would have to do. I bought some dies but now what patterns to stitch on the card is an issue. :(

djjdmartin 08-03-2018 11:03 AM

Second Favorite Hobby

I got caught up in the new crafting craze called diamond painting back in January. The name brand in the states isDiamond Dotz, but I do not like their products as much as the off-brand ones from China. The Diamond Dotz brand are only partial drill which means only the focal point of the canvas is colored diamonds. Full drill means the entire canvas is filled with diamonds from corner to corner. Check it out!

kmk24 08-03-2018 12:05 PM

Reading, Martial art Haidong Gumdo using Katana sword, crochet. Working full time means I don't get enough sleep at night to fit this all in!

littleladybug3 08-03-2018 01:02 PM

My second hobby would be tea parties...I love having them in my home and even take my “traveling tea parties” to other’s homes. I love to go to antique stores in search of fine china and love it when I can get this dish ware at a bargain price.

Bohodiva 08-03-2018 01:35 PM

Create your own

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaF409 (Post 21697661)
For those that cross stitch, do you have any neat patterns for the stitching on cards? The grid is large with using dies and so small patterns would have to do. I bought some dies but now what patterns to stitch on the card is an issue. :(

Have you tried cutting your die and creating your own grid with a piercing tool, or transfer you design using transfer paper and then cross stitch?
I don't cross-stitch so I would not know if my suggestions would, its just a thought...

Jeanne S 08-03-2018 11:11 PM

Raising chickens.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spl...d6c9f7e24c.jpg

ejluyk 08-04-2018 05:36 AM

Art Journaling
Watercolor painting
Card Making
Scrapbooking
Gardening...seasonal; I have large perennial gardens all around the house in the woods

Coloring books
I mix all these up and use some of the same materials to accomplish them all. My spare bedroom is full...lots of supplies well organized keeps me going.

susanbri 08-04-2018 06:57 AM

Gardening (flowers and vegetables) in the summer.

Knitting in the winter.

gobarb26 08-04-2018 10:35 AM

I love stamping and card making but I have so many other interests that I can't mention them all! I have been making jewelry pendants for the past year. I do a lot of Zentangle since I am a CZT and I love to use some of these patterns in my pendants. I sell most of my work. I also have discovered acrylic pouring and that has been a lot of fun! Sometimes I will pour on freezer paper and make skins to use in my jewelry as well as on cards. I also spend a great deal of time on the computer, doing research for my work. I watch a lot of YouTube videos that give me information and spark ideas. Lastly, I sing with my church choir.

papercrafter40 08-04-2018 08:09 PM

I would say photography for sure, and raising cats! We recently ended up with an "unplanned kitten." She was apparently dropped at an arboretum where we were visiting (about 40 miles from where we live). The staff there didn't know where she came from, and also couldn't take care of her. I looked for a rescue group that could possibly take her, but there aren't many around here, and the one I found was full to capacity. So, after much soul-searching (and some tears) over a couple of days, Mama & I decided to take her in. We named her Ginger, because she's a ginger and white colored kitten. We already have 3 other cats. Pepper (the oldest) pretty much ignores Ginger completely. Zipper (next oldest) has taken to playing/wrestling with her. The funny thing is, Zipper & Ginger could almost be twins, though Ginger has more orange on her shoulders and her eyes are brown. Barney (formerly the youngest) apparently hasn't quite figured out how he feels about this new addition. :rolleyes: Until now, we haven't had a kitten in the house since we adopted Barney--six years ago! It's an adventure! :D :cool:

susie718 08-06-2018 12:40 AM

Besides cards, I love to garden, read, solve puzzles, and make jewelry. To keep up the large teaching part of who I am, I volunteer to teach Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.

In reading this thread, I noticed how if someone is a creative/making/artsy type person, most of us don’t just pick one outlet for our creativity as perhaps a professional artist might do for a career. Most of the rest of us take joy in lots of different forms of creative expression.

And just a nice thing to consider for those who haven’t retired yet, you won’t believe how rich your time with get when you have more hours in your week to create. It’s a wonderful time of life.

SophieLaFontaine 08-06-2018 02:23 AM

I like making dollhouse furniture. I use a LOT of card-making supplies for this though. The vast majority of the furniture I make is actually cardboard wrapped in cardstock.

lynnewithane 08-06-2018 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djjdmartin (Post 21697710)
I got caught up in the new crafting craze called diamond painting back in January. The name brand in the states isDiamond Dotz, but I do not like their products as much as the off-brand ones from China. The Diamond Dotz brand are only partial drill which means only the focal point of the canvas is colored diamonds. Full drill means the entire canvas is filled with diamonds from corner to corner. Check it out!

You made me look. I watched a couple of diamond painting videos.
I am intrigued, but decided that my eyes probably are no longer good enough for that craft. Also, I think I have enough stuff.
Thank you for making me aware of this.

susanbri 08-06-2018 07:25 AM

Susie, that struck me as well - we all do lots of creative things. I just always need to be busy with my hands and I love the joy of creating things, whether it's cards, a beautiful flower garden, vegetables to pick and cook, or a knitted sweater.

I have friends who are still working because they don't know what they'd do if they retired - whereas I retired as soon as I could because there was so much I wanted to do other than work. It's very sad to think of those people who have nothing in their loves except work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie718 (Post 21699456)
In reading this thread, I noticed how if someone is a creative/making/artsy type person, most of us don�t just pick one outlet for our creativity as perhaps a professional artist might do for a career. Most of the rest of us take joy in lots of different forms of creative expression.

And just a nice thing to consider for those who haven�t retired yet, you won�t believe how rich your time with get when you have more hours in your week to create. It�s a wonderful time of life.

rosetresures 08-08-2018 05:02 AM

aside from paper and stamping projects. making jewelry with items that would be found in the landfill is my "go to" hobby. I love using paper towel tubes, napkins, funny papers, old calendars, popcorn box chipboard, magazines and what ever else I can find and making lovely wearable art. I have a couple of shoe boxes full of GORGEOUS beads of all kinds and many more in the works. It is my addiction, to which I am NOT seeking a cure or intervention of any kind. I hope it's ok to insert an address to check out some of my jewelry and then there is lots more pics of beads on there. If this is not acceptable, I apologize for over stepping. Thanks, patty "Fun Little Pieces of Life": Good Friday, Beads, Beads and More Beads and a Tip