Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your most popular workshops/classes?

Hey all,
I'm going to become a demo once the new catalogue comes out but I don't know much about "demo-ness". My demo here is a hobby demo and has not much interest in the how-to so I was hoping a fellow Canadian demo would share!
I know about the starter kit and that I can change it about, who knows how much that'll change in the new IB&C! So, the info I was kind of looking for was the quarterly minimum, first order, etc! If you can help, that would be great!

Thanks!

Last edited by prchvs; 05-03-2006 at 11:27 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi there. I signed up to be a demo for the kit and the discount. Yet, here I am a year and a half later still at it! So, I love being a demo. You will get lots of info from Stampin' Up when you sign up. They give you a Getting Started DVD that not only gives lots of business tips and how tos but also a whole techniques section. Your quarterly minimums are $300 a quarter (Jan-Mar, Apri-June, July-Sept, and Oct-Dec.). Your first order within the first 45 days of signing will get a 30% discount instead of the usual 20%. If in your first 3 months you reach $1500 in sales or gain a recruit you get 2 free stamp sets of your choice from either the IB&C or current mini. They also have lots of incentive programs. If you have a chance to go to convention, I would HIGHLY recommend it. I just went to regionals and it was SO worth my time and money. I wish I could go to convention, but I have a newborn and would not enjoy/benefit as much as not having her with me. Also, this site is AMAZING for getting help as a demo. Good Luck! PM me if you have any other questions!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just to clarify Linda's post with Canadian specific information....

The quarterly minimums are $450, the Stampin' Start sales incentive is $2250 for your first 3 full months, and you have 60 days in which to receive 30% off your first Workshop (hostess) order.

HTH!

Caroline in TO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2006, 10:10 PM   #4  

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

I can barely wait for the new catalogue to come out to see the things I can pick for my kit, to see if the kit has changed, and all the new stuff!!!

One question : What are your suggestions to drumming up some excitement? What are your most popular workshops/classes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #5  

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm interested in this question, too. I also plan to sign up in July.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Me too! I'm signing as soon as the new catty comes out. If been thinking about this for a long, long time, and finally, I'm ready! Already have a friend from church that wants to do a workshop. Would really appreciate some tips.

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #8  

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #9  

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 05:02 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I may not be the best person to answer, since I can't find any customers, LOL. But I didn't want your post to go unanswered!

From what I've read on the demo side, once you have a few interested stampers, the most popular classes are techniques. I have a couple of people who bought pastels from me last year, so I'm trying to get together a class for techniques with the pastels. I'm planning on doing poppin pastels, pulling pastels, blender pens, and a tumbled marble tile. You could easily do two classes a month for a year with just techniques!

Once you have a core group, you could also do Stamp-A-Stacks as a thanks for your loyal customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 05:19 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Default stamp-n-stacks

Jen...I'm new to all this...but what are Stamp -N-Stacks?? Thanks for answering!!!!

SHAWN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I am not a demo, but I have a demo who does Stamp a Stacks.

Basically, she designs 3 or 4 cards, each totally different. She emails us a picture of each one, gives us the dates (she usually does it two nights), and asks us to sign up, indicating how many of each we want to make. I have only been to one. I made three of the first card and one of two others. By then, it was getting late, and she didn't mind if I didn't start the last one. I only had to pay for what I made. She charges $1.50 per card. Some people make more than they sign up for. Some people make less. I guess it all evens out for her. She has quite a few people attend. She sets up one card at each end of her large dining room table, one card in the kitchen, and one in the family room (all connected). She gives basic instructions, most people can pretty much figure it out from looking at the sample. Then, she's available if you have a question.
You pay on your way out, and just pay for the number of cards you've made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 09:07 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

bump

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am interested too. I will be starting as a demo next month and will be doing 10 cards for $10 class (card stackers), 6 projects for $10 (stamp camp) and a scrap party - $10 serve dinner and demo a scrap page with open scrapbooking for 6 hours. I would love to hear what is popular in other areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Okay, this is from a customer perspective because I'm not a demo. My demo is a co-worker and I absolutely love her workshops and camps. She started out by inviting as many co-workers, neighbors and relatives as she could fit in her house for her very first open house. We made about 5 different cards/projects and I was hooked! From there the workshops and camps just started to roll, and she would always have a seasonal card or two, and one or two "anything but cards" projects. I hated to miss a camp that was held this weekend where they made a journal and several cards from the summer mini.

She also does 1 workshop/camp of her own each month, and we are working on techniques. That is definitely a favorite. We are starting a little booklet with a sample square of the particular technique, and then we'll do a card using that technique. She charges $10.00 for each session and we do 4 cards/projects, and fill our booklet with 4 pages. Last month we did embossing, both dry and the powder embossing, plus she'll make sure we use eyelets, the 5 in 1 envelope template, and other embellishments. This month she is having a retirement party, and will continue with another 4 pages of techniques. What I really like is that she keeps the actual projects that we will work on a "secret", so we are always anxious to sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi there. I signed up to be a demo for the kit and the discount. Yet, here I am a year and a half later still at it! So, I love being a demo. You will get lots of info from Stampin' Up when you sign up. They give you a Getting Started DVD that not only gives lots of business tips and how tos but also a whole techniques section. Your quarterly minimums are $300 ($450.00 in Canada)a quarter (Jan-Mar, Apri-June, July-Sept, and Oct-Dec.). Your first order within the first 45 days of signing will get a 30% discount instead of the usual 20%. If in your first 3 months you reach $1500 ($2,250.00 in Canada)in sales or gain a recruit you get 2 free stamp sets of your choice from either the IB&C or current mini. They also have lots of incentive programs. If you have a chance to go to convention, I would HIGHLY recommend it. I just went to regionals and it was SO worth my time and money. I wish I could go to convention, but I have a newborn and would not enjoy/benefit as much as not having her with me. Also, this site is AMAZING for getting help as a demo. Good Luck! PM me if you have any other questions!

Linda
Sorry just had to update that Canadian $$$ amounts are different...just to avoid confusion!

OPPS just noticed that has been mentioned...I just like to talk....lol...usually when no one is listening! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Default LONG....but worth a read!

USE A CALENDAR!!!!!

I think that it is very important for yourself especaill when starting that you get all your stuff organized.

Calendars are a great thing to have and as I found ACTUALLY USE!!! lol

Plan your month out, get youself some little dot stickers and assign each color to a different "theme"

eg: blue stampin up
green family
red personal appointments
yellow kids stuff

put these dots on your dates so that you know when your free and available to work and when you have other things going on...

Then plan out the month just like you would a party.....if you plan on hosting workshops from your home...then pre-book those for youself and make sure that you promote guests and clients to sign up and pre-pay....Calendar, coasters, cards, and even scrapbooking nights.

Don't overwhelm youself at first and don't expect people to come to you! Think of your mouth as the door to your business and ALWAYS KEEP IT OPEN.

If your a "SAHM", and someone asks you what you do, first thing you should say is..."?????" not "nothing I am a SAHM"....be proud of what you have done for youself....starting your own business is a huge step and one well worth taking.

To get more customers!

Try the 21 day challange....talk to one person (personally) everyday about your new business if you miss a day start over from the beginning...if by ?? 8 p.m. you have not talked to someone about your business, then leave an eamil or a phone message....do this for 21 days, everytime you talk to someone get them to give you just one name of someone you can contact. The next 21 days your going to do the same thing, but add 2 people to your daily talk, remember these don't have to be people you know...bankers, hairdresser, receptionist, tim hortens staff. then give your self a 21 day break, then do 3 per day the next 21 days after that...by this time it will be natural, flow of your tounge...and you will be amazed that you have just contacted 126 people in the last 4 months.

I have tons more stuff I could tell you, but I would probably bore you!! You will do great and set your goals!

dee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativedee
USE A CALENDAR!!!!!

I think that it is very important for yourself especaill when starting that you get all your stuff organized.

Plan your month out, get youself some little dot stickers and assign each color to a different "theme"

green family
yellow kids stuff

put these dots on your dates so that you know when your free and available to work and when you have other things going on...

Then plan out the month just like you would a party.....if you plan on hosting workshops from your home...then pre-book those for youself and make sure that you promote guests and clients to sign up and pre-pay....Calendar, coasters, cards, and even scrapbooking nights.

Don't overwhelm youself at first and don't expect people to come to you! Think of your mouth as the door to your business and ALWAYS KEEP IT OPEN.

If your a "SAHM", and someone asks you what you do, first thing you should say is..."?????" not "nothing I am a SAHM"....be proud of what you have done for youself....starting your own business is a huge step and one well worth taking.

To get more customers!

Try the 21 day challange....talk to one person (personally) everyday about your new business if you miss a day start over from the beginning...if by ?? 8 p.m. you have not talked to someone about your business, then leave an eamil or a phone message....do this for 21 days, everytime you talk to someone get them to give you just one name of someone you can contact. The next 21 days your going to do the same thing, but add 2 people to your daily talk, remember these don't have to be people you know...bankers, hairdresser, receptionist, tim hortens staff. then give your self a 21 day break, then do 3 per day the next 21 days after that...by this time it will be natural, flow of your tounge...and you will be amazed that you have just contacted 126 people in the last 4 months.

I have tons more stuff I could tell you, but I would probably bore you!! You will do great and set your goals!

dee

Wow. This is why I would be a terrible business-woman.
I talk to 200 people every two days. My students are my captive audience. I would be terrible at drumming up business, but I am impressed with your strategies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #19  

Wow! Thanks for sharing all this ... it was totally worth the read. I'll keep this in mind when I finally sign my papers in a couple months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativedee
USE A CALENDAR!!!!!

green family
yellow kids stuff

To get more customers!

dee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a customer I love the 10 for 10 nights. We make 2 each of 5 different cards. Very reasonable and loads of fun! She showcases new sets and at least 1 or 2 that are a tad more advanced. I'd better call to find out when her next one is...

BTW...she has us RSVP for these, but always has a few extra.

Love my demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I have a hostess club going right now. Everyone seems to be having a great time. We meet once a month and I teach them 2 or 3 techniques, or types of cards (folds etc) each month. everyone has comitted to purchase $15. in product at each meeting, whether they can attend or not. Each person gets a chance to be the hostess and get the benefits from it.

the other thing that seems to go over well is technique classes and stamp camps. I have only done a few parties, most of my income comes from the classes. But I hope to be branching out during this next catalog season.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

My demo is doing a retirement party in two weeks. It is a mystery hostess event. You receive tickets to be in the mystery hostess drawing. You get tickets for RSVPing, bringing her a stamped item, send a RAK, bring treats to share, bringing a new stamping friend, and most importantly for her is you get a certain # of tickets for amnts. money spent. She will also do specials for retiring items. Last year she had make and takes using retiring sets.
You could do a new catty party along the same lines.
She also does stamp a stacks monthly from Aug.-Nov. for Xmas cards. In December we do tags and such. I love doing it with her and not having to worry about it.

Jeanette
Reply With Quote Likes