Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   What is your least favorite embellishment to use on a card and why? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/what-your-least-favorite-embellishment-use-card-why-212021/)

Lisa62 01-07-2007 05:15 AM

What is your least favorite embellishment to use on a card and why?

what would be your 1 least embellishment that you use on a card.

birdbrain 01-07-2007 05:33 AM

Least favorite: staples...don't like the look and have never used them

Most favorite: ribbon and hardware (brads, slides, frames, eyelets). I also love Primas...don't use them as often as I should...I think I'm a hoarder;)

ladylinks 01-07-2007 05:34 AM

I don't like staples to much either. I have used them but I can't make them look nice.

lisahenke 01-07-2007 05:36 AM

personally, I think I have to say buttons. I just can't get them look right with any of my designs.

tanya 01-07-2007 05:37 AM

Not a staple fan here either. I have seen one or two examples where they look okay but overall, I think they look tacky-like you ran out of glue or eyelets/brads/ etc. and tso threw a staple on ther. Sorry to those who love staples, I just don't care for them. My other least favorit is buttons. I love the way they look but wish our buttons were self adhesive. It can be a pain to get them to stick.

Tanya

Joan B 01-07-2007 05:51 AM

It is either staples or paper clips. Hate em.

birdbrain 01-07-2007 06:02 AM

:oops:OK, call me a big dufous...for some reason I read the title of your post as wanting the least favorite, and the body asking for the most favorite...sorry. In my defense I was still on my first cup of coffee.:rolleyes:

Skittl1321 01-07-2007 06:24 AM

Paper clips- I don't get the point of them.

I do like staples though- it's a good way to get ribbon to stay on the card!
The embellishment I like but never use- large hardware- too expensive.

Topaz_n29 01-07-2007 06:33 AM

I never use staples either. But my least fav. was charms, couldn't get them to stay on. If i used a ribbon or cord they always flipped around backwards. I tried glue, they fell off.
Now i got somthing called super strength sticky glue dots..and beleive me they are sticky!! lol so will try them...loves ya..Gail (topaz_n29

greetingsbydebra 01-07-2007 06:39 AM

Fibers. I can never make them look cool. There are a bunch sitting in my embellishment drawer because I don't know what to do with them.

frankie 01-07-2007 06:40 AM

Do I have a least favorite embellishment?!?! Can't think of a single one off the top of my head . . . and I DO like staples!!!

Lisa62 01-07-2007 06:42 AM

fibers is another one.thre too floppy for me.and I have tons of them and never use them this would be a great challege for the scs girls.then maybe we would change our minds about them.those scs girls know how to use anything.

jtax 01-07-2007 06:43 AM

I have never "gotten" using staples either.

Arlene Bridges 01-07-2007 06:43 AM

Staples

smitty2004 01-07-2007 06:44 AM

stickers, they never look right for me..

wendykins 01-07-2007 06:46 AM

yep, staples, can't make them look good no matter how hard I try. Big HH pieces too---maybe just afraid of running out, but they always weigh the card down. And oh yeah, paper clips(the plain old silver ones)---don't get the point when there are so many really cool, colorful ones out there.

housefan 01-07-2007 06:55 AM

Fibers, staples, and those little ribbon flags that are attached with staples.

nabush 01-07-2007 06:58 AM

I'm probably way in the minority here, but I hate eyelets...I would much rather use a brad instead!! I hate setting the eyelets...it's loud and it hurts my hand after a while!

Nancy

triciastampinVA 01-07-2007 07:01 AM

challenged

Eyelets. I seem to be eyelet challenged. I use my 1/16 punch, put the eyelet in and then use my 1/16 punch to squeeze it. Maybe I squeeze to hard, because I always seem to not have nothing left on the back of the eyelet holding the cardstock and then I have to end up using a pop dot to keep it in place. :rolleyes: Any advice/tips/tricks...greatly appreciated.

I love brads. :)

kittie747 01-07-2007 07:07 AM

Staples. I even bought a stapler (and some special colored staples) that swings around to make it easy to place the staples.....but....I just can't amke myself use them. I have seen some darling cards using staples and have admired that the person could actually make it work for them. I just don't see that they benefit my style of work.

Faereygirl 01-07-2007 07:07 AM

I don't like stickers on my cards. I had to do a few demos at michaels with using stickers to make the cards and I hated it!

jtax 01-07-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabush
I'm probably way in the minority here, but I hate eyelets...I would much rather use a brad instead!! I hate setting the eyelets...it's loud and it hurts my hand after a while!

Nancy

Get a Crop-A-Dile you will love eyelets again. It sets them easily and quietly!

synamon 01-07-2007 07:11 AM

Staples are my least favorite embellishment too.. lol I have seen many many beautiful cards done with them- but IMO if you are going to use staples-- please please please use the colored ones. lol

I have to admit, I have tried to use staples a few times, but I pick up the stapler and put the cardstock in it... It's like my hand is posessed and uses an old Jedi mind trick... "you will Not use this on these cards, take your hand off the stapler...."

Happy Heart 01-07-2007 07:14 AM

Another vote for staples! I've tried to use them, but I always think they look as if you couldn't find any better way to attach things! Very unfinished looking to my eye.
I'm also not a big fan of fibers. Although I have seen some lovely designs done with them, I just can't seem to get them to look right on my cards.

diane flan 01-07-2007 07:15 AM

Flat boring stickers are my least favorite. I do like the bubble stickers though. My favorite embelishment is ribbon.

JenMarie 01-07-2007 07:19 AM

Staples and paperclips. I agree with the statement that it looks like you ran out of adhesive. I have used staples a few times though. Usually not pleased at all with the results at all.

bobkitten 01-07-2007 07:24 AM

I don't like 1) staples, or 2) stickers.

LateBlossom 01-07-2007 07:25 AM

Fibers (how DO people make those look so good?!?!?) and staples (ditto!?!?!).

imataloss 01-07-2007 07:40 AM

Ok this is funny to me. I opened this thread and read the OP's question and thought immediately of saples. I was going to scroll down and just post when to my suprise the majority of responses were for staples as well.When ever I try to use them they just look terrible somehow.

KLF 01-07-2007 07:46 AM

Another no vote for staples. I agree that they look like you ran out of adhesive or were in a terrible hurry to finish the card.

Karen

Kittypaws 01-07-2007 07:59 AM

I really don't care for staples, either. One embellishment that I absolutely love but have trouble with is ribbon - I can't for the life of me tie a decent bow.

SkyesMom 01-07-2007 08:07 AM

Those yarn-ish fibers I think they are ugly and I never use. After 2 years of not using them I threw them away.

Baylorgrad 01-07-2007 08:09 AM

OK, I have to admit, I like staples...of course, I make sure to use them only on cards where I know it will look good! :)

I don't like fibers or buttons all that much, and I really don't like paper clips. Maybe I'll use a spiral clip once in a while, but that's a rare thing. ;)

MSBetsyZ 01-07-2007 09:52 AM

Gotta go with staples, too. Paper clips I don't mind as long as they're decorated in some way...ribbon tied to them or some sort of embellishment glued to the top.

There are a lot of other embellishments that I love to see but hate to actually use, lol! The staples, though, I just don't get at ALL.

Motherof6 01-07-2007 10:54 AM

Another vote for staples. I used one once on a card for a challenge and never used the card because it just wasn't my taste.

Tilly 01-07-2007 11:02 AM

I'm also eyelet-challenged. Can never get them to sit where I want them to. Prefer using brads - love them. Not big on stickers either. For those who are fiber-challenged - I taught a class at a papercraft convention awhile ago on lots of different ways to use them on cards. I'll try to find my notes and post some ideas if anyone is interested?

propecia 01-07-2007 11:04 AM

Fibers! I can never get them to look right!

Mahloumel 01-07-2007 11:15 AM

I have two cards of fibres and multiple small skeins of yarn salvaged from my crocheting days that I can never do very much with. My plain paper clips and staples stay in my office area and never stray into my crafting area (tho I do use binder clips occasionally to hold stuff together til it dries). Other than the fibre, my biggest crafting supply disappointment has been those Jolee-style dimensional embellihsments. I can never see them on a card or sb page without thinking how the giant Jolee section looks in Michaels, so I never use the few I've purchased.

WordTrix 01-08-2007 01:23 PM

Eyelets. It's not that I can't set them, but I find brads quicker and esier to do, plus they're not as noisy as setting eyelets can be, and when you live in an apartment...well, let's just say your neighbors may not understand your need to create at 2am. ;)

Heather

caseyandstephy 01-08-2007 01:27 PM

Buttons... blech!