Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ok, I guess the "Favorites" thing bothers me...

At first I was very excited to hear we now can view how many people have favorited our cards.

But now I'm not to thrilled anymore. I have multiple cards with 9 or 10 favorites, and not a single comment.

If someone likes my card enough to add it to their favorites, then why on earth can't they take 30 seconds to tell me what they like about it, or thank me for uploading?

I think it's rude! Anyone else feel that way? Anybody feel up to sharing WHY you do that, if you're one of them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #2  
Sassy Shani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG....I said the exact same thing the other day. Not that my cards are anything special. Oh and the fact that I hardly upload any, but seriously....if you can take the time to add it to your faves and least comment on the card. It really does make someones day! :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,034 Likes on 781 Posts

I like the 'favorited' for just this reason--it means someone likes my card! I have left tons of comments--all sincere, but I only add cards to my favorites that I am going to CASE! They are the ones I want to look at again.
Take it as a compliment and if you need to, count it as a comment.

Terry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Mostly it's lack of time time. For example, today I was looking at recent uploads and a thumbnail caught my eye, but when I clicked on it the picture had not been approved yet. So I put it into my favorites so that I wouldn't "lose" it later, but I couldn't leave a comment because I couldn't see more than a thumbnail and could not wait for the approval.

Most of the time I try to leave a comment for anything I put into my favorites unless I'm in a huge hurry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I quite like the fact that we can see how many people have added our cards to their favourites, I have one card (having looked back through my gallery) and I had 49 comments (which I was over the moon about) and it has been added to peoples favourites 92 times - wow, but what first came into my head reading your post was we have a favourites thread every week, and yet with so many people putting my card into their favourites not one person commented on it in that thread, so was a little gutted must admit now, having seen that 92 people thought my card was worth while putting into their favourites so this is how I am going to look at it from now on, pleased

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #6  

yes, I realize it is a compliment that they saved it, but I'd sure like to know WHAT they liked so much, some sort of comment or acknowledgement that it was a cool idea/color combo/whatever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Most of the time, I cruise the new additions when I'm at work. (shhhhh!!) I have a pretty demanding job and I have sneak on when I get a few minutes to do it. So, I really can't respond to every card I put into my favorites. If I'm viewing from home, I have Dial Up so it would take me forever to look and comment on every card I put into my favorites.

I understand your feelings about wanting comments, I hope that you guys understand that it's just not always doable from a time perspective.

"Time and trouble may tame a wild, young woman. But a wild, OLD woman is uncontrollable by any force". - Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #8  

I have dial up, too.... yet I have the time to upload. It'd be nice to get that little tiny "thanks" from those benefitting from my time and effort to make an post a card.

Not wanting to discourage anyone from looking at my gallery... just noticed the disrepancy and didn't care for it. Let's just all say we could be better at commenting, period.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Please don't think of it as rude. I try to leave comments whenever possible but I admit there are times when it's just easier to hit that "add to favorites" button. I too have some cards that don't have many (if any) comments but when I saw how many times they've been favorited, I was soooo happy! That means people are looking at my cards and liking them enough to want to "case" or just look at again. I think it's a definite compliment and I love that new feature. Sometimes, it's just hard to know what you specifically like about a card and it just seems so generic to keep saying "great card" or "pretty card". I have a hard time verbalizing why I like a card - it's usually a case of a culmination of many things - layout, color, technique - who knows? I just know it appeals to me for some reason. Anyway, I hope you take the favorited as a compliment and learn to view it a different way than you have been.

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

For whatever it's worth, I think comments are an option, not a requirement. If someone takes the time to comment, that is really nice, but I do not upload a card so that only people who comment can benefit from it.

In an ideal world people would all take the time to comment every time they looked at a card, but that's not realistic. So I look at comments and "favorites" pretty much interchangably.

The only thing that makes me sad is when a card has many views but no comments or "favoriteds". But even then, as long as I'm happy with the card, I just blame it on a bad photo or scan ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please don't be upset. Consider it a huge compliment that someone took the time to even view your card!!! Putting it into favorites is the ultimate compliment.

It takes over 30 seconds on a fast computer to click on a card, make a comment and get back to the gallery (I timed it). That's a long time sitting and waiting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie
I have dial up, too.... yet I have the time to upload. It'd be nice to get that little tiny "thanks" from those benefitting from my time and effort to make an post a card.

Not wanting to discourage anyone from looking at my gallery... just noticed the disrepancy and didn't care for it. Let's just all say we could be better at commenting, period.
That's what it is! It is a tiny thanks but now you know that someone appreciated your card when before that person might not have left a comment and you would never know they liked it.

I add cards to my Favorites that I don't take the time to comment on. I'm sorry. I never considered that this would bother or offend any one.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do the same thing-- sometimes add to favourites, but don't comment. I feel the same as one of the previous posters-- I often don't know what I like about a card, I just LIKE it. And it gets tiring saying "great card" all the time. Plus, I know for myself-- when I GET comments like "nice card", it really doesn't thrill me that much. I, personally, love the favourited feature. To me, it's like they made the nicest comment they could make, without even saying a word!

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hate to admit that I used to be one of those - only because I didn't know the trick to opening a card in a new window, and it took so long to add a comment, then backtrack back to where I could add it to my favs, then back to the start of my search.... anyhooo, I am now enabled and always leave a comment!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I will say that I usually don't leave a comment when the card has no additional info. Ex. - stamps used, etc. I am fairly new to this site and I love all the ideas and inspiration that a person can find here and I appreciate the time a person takes giving some info on their card (or other project).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I am a relatively new stamper who has *very* little time to stamp. I put things in my favorites for those rare times when I can stamp. This is done in the hopes that I will be able to work up to the level of the cards that I've 'favorited'. There are various reasons I put a card in my favorites...layout, technique, color combo, unique embellishment, etc. As a new stamper everything is new and exciting to me. If I stopped to comment on all of the cards I see that I am hoping to acquire the skills to try, I would never have time to stamp.

So please, try to see the addition to someone's favorites as a compliment, because that is what it truly is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I've been guilty of putting cards into my favs and not commenting. Part of that is, I think, I don't have a gallery, don't post a lot, and don't always feel like my comments would make or break someone's days and sometimes its just a time thing. BUT, having said that I have now made it my resolution that when something catches my eye, I comment. I try to be specific about what I liked about the card, but I don't want to have to follow rules about what I should say and sometimes, it just catches my eye - can't really tell why but its different or just stands out. But haven't you noticed just a general lack of comments recently in the gallery. I look pretty much every day (hmmmm, mostly while at work but you guys can keep that a secret can't you??) and I see a card that looks nice, has tons of views but hardly any comments. Its just been weird lately, less comments than normal I think. Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #18  
Google Master

I try to comment on all I save to favorites. I feel like it is a compliment if someone saves mine to favorites. Most of the time a comment is "nice card" or "pretty" anyway. I try to be more personal on my comments but I don't always have time to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

I hope no one hates me for putting their card into my faves, and I also hope no one hates me for removing it after I've done a project that specifically drew on their card. (I'm sure some folks go "Huh?" when someone includes in a comment "this is going into my faves!" and then that card has zero favouriteds. Favourites are a living reference for some. )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too view the gallery at work (don't tell) and trust me, I don't have the time to comment ALL the time. I use to love see the "views" mount up and that made me happy. I made the "favorites" of the week a couple of times and I thought I was going to burst with happiness! So, to me, this favorited thing is an added Bonus.

I don't always know what to say as far as comments either, it really takes a while to think, and type it, so the time factor plays a LARGE part in not making a comment. But I do put a lot in my Favorites to look at later or CASE.

As with everything, some will like this feature and some won't and I feel bad for those that don't. As for me I like the new feature and SCS is the greatest!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm guilty I don't always take the time if the card is already on it's second page of comments. I rather take that time and comment on a few cards that have no comments!

I like being able to see the favorites. I was getting discouraged with my gallery comments, but it's nice to see that even though someone didn't have the time to comment they saved my card to their favorites!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
I hope no one hates me for putting their card into my faves, and I also hope no one hates me for removing it after I've done a project that specifically drew on their card. (I'm sure some folks go "Huh?" when someone includes in a comment "this is going into my faves!" and then that card has zero favouriteds. Favourites are a living reference for some. )
That brings up in interesting question? Does the new favoriteds feature only keep track of how many people have it in their favorites right now? Or does it keep a history and if people take it out of their favorites it will still keep that in the total? I'm curious now.

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Count me in as one who is honored to be favorited. Either way I know someone appreciates my cards.

Kind of like the Seinfeld episode where Elaine said the guy was "sponge worthy". It's nice to know my cards are "favorites worthy".

I guess it would bother me more to have a ton of views and no comments or favorites - KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Since the addition of this feature I have really been trying to be more conscientious in making a comment before I put the card into my favorites as I have thought the same thing about cards that are "favorited" like 100 times with 20 comments...I'm trying
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketgirl96
Please don't think of it as rude. I try to leave comments whenever possible but I admit there are times when it's just easier to hit that "add to favorites" button. I too have some cards that don't have many (if any) comments but when I saw how many times they've been favorited, I was soooo happy! That means people are looking at my cards and liking them enough to want to "case" or just look at again. I think it's a definite compliment and I love that new feature. Sometimes, it's just hard to know what you specifically like about a card and it just seems so generic to keep saying "great card" or "pretty card". I have a hard time verbalizing why I like a card - it's usually a case of a culmination of many things - layout, color, technique - who knows? I just know it appeals to me for some reason. Anyway, I hope you take the favorited as a compliment and learn to view it a different way than you have been.
I agree with this 100%.

I always add to my favorites, and I try to comment as well, but, if I want to see as many cards as I can, when I get a minute to look at the new additions, I just favorite them.

I LOVE this new ability. I hardly ever get comments, so seeing how many times a card was favorited, I thought was awesome, a huge ego boost for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #26  
Total Quack

Quote:

At first I was very excited to hear we now can view how many people have favorited our cards.

But now I'm not to thrilled anymore. I have multiple cards with 9 or 10 favorites, and not a single comment.

If someone likes my card enough to add it to their favorites, then why on earth can't they take 30 seconds to tell me what they like about it, or thank me for uploading?

I think it's rude! Anyone else feel that way? Anybody feel up to sharing WHY you do that, if you're one of them?

I agree with that. I also think that if someone can take the time to look at the card, they can take a second to comment on it. One little word (nice, great, cute, pretty) can make someone's day. So many views and so few comments. I just don't get it.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love to leave comments even if it is just "Very Cute". I know I appreciate them. I know a comment is left because of the numbers in my gallery or by e-mail, but I have to open the card to see the "favorited"

I am honored by the favorites, but do not know if there are any new unless I open each and every card in my gallery and keep track (not happening!). Where if you also leave a comment the designer will know for sure.

I guess I think if I took the time to open, look, and hit favorites then take the time and CASE an idea from the card, I can take the time to leave a few kind words too. ;)

JMHO
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shell
I agree with that. I also think that if someone can take the time to look at the card, they can take a second to comment on it. One little word (nice, great, cute, pretty) can make someone's day. So many views and so few comments. I just don't get it.
See, I agree with you, however, I have read on this site, and others, that people prefer to have a why you liked the card, something more then nice, cute, pretty etc. So how do I know I am looking at someone's card that likes the quick comments, or someone who prefers a longer comment?

I wish I had a lot of time to tell every one of you that your cards are beautiful, and what it was that jumped out at me to make me open it, but I just don't have the time to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Comments are always nice to get on a creation you make, but to me I don't care if I have many comments or lots of cards 'favorited'. My card has been noticed and that alone makes me feel good.
It's very very rare that I don't comment on a card I open.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love being favorited. I think it's just as flattering as a comment. So often the comments get repetitive (and I am not complaining about that either), so it's nice to see just that someone liked it enough to save it for themselves to come back to later.

I also try and comment in galleries of people I don't "know" whenever they comment in my gallery - so if you don't know me, you know what to do!!

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love this new feature, both as a viewer and as an uploader. At least now when I add it to my favs, the creator knows it was appreciated even if I did not have time or the right words to comment. As someone else said, I don't always know exactly why I like something when I see it - I just know I like it. So what can I say? If I say "love it", you'll still not be satisfied because my comment was not specific enough, right? I do try very hard to comment when I know what to say.

As an uploader, I'm so happy to know that my work is liked enough to be saved. So I think it's a win-win for all. Great addition to this site!

mother of two stampers: Breana (1 and Nicolas (15)
my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #32  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by jranagel
See, I agree with you, however, I have read on this site, and others, that people prefer to have a why you liked the card, something more then nice, cute, pretty etc. So how do I know I am looking at someone's card that likes the quick comments, or someone who prefers a longer comment?

I wish I had a lot of time to tell every one of you that your cards are beautiful, and what it was that jumped out at me to make me open it, but I just don't have the time to do that.

I see. That's a perspective I've not thought of.

I do want to make clear that I do LOVE the favorite feature. Those comments are just important to some of us, too!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #33  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaof3insd

It's very very rare that I don't comment on a card I open.
Ditto!! If I take the time to open it (and sometimes it takes quite some time!!!), I will say *something* about it.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I think it's rude! Anyone else feel that way?
Anybody feel up to sharing WHY you do that, if you're one of them?
No, I personally don't consider it rude in the least.

I appreciate any and all comments, views, or being included in someone's list of favorites. But, I don't share my creations here for that purpose.

I share them simply to share.

If I don't have time to comment on every piece I view or add to my favorites, it's not due to lack of appreciation, but genuine time constraints; I comment as I am able. After all, there are 110,000 registered members here, and over 400,000 images in the gallery, and literally HUNDREDS uploaded daily.

I assume that life is equally as busy for other folks just like me, so a lack of comments in relationship to having having my work favorited by others is not something I would interpret as rudeness or lack of appreciation by the same token.

:grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel

Ditto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #36  
Forum Fanatic

I personally LOVE the new feature and was completely amazed to see a few of my cards had been favorited- of course the majority had not been.

I don't mind at all if someone did not comment first, especially now I can see both numbers- but I do also really love comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

I think I'm one of thousands of quiet participants in this community. Some might call us lurkers, but mostly, I think we're shy.

I've posted a few cards, participated in a few swaps, and have started a few threads. I read the boards and check out cards almost every day, even if the number of posts next to my name doesn't seem to show it. I'm just more of a watcher than a joiner. I don't feel compelled to comment on every thread or every card that catches my eye. Just those where I feel I have something of value to add. Like an answer to a specific question in the forums or a comment that somone else hasn't made on a gallery entry.

When I favorite a card without leaving a comment, it's generally a sign that I agree with the existing comments. It's a quiet, non-chatty way to leave the artist a little praise.

I hope we can all agree that it's just a different form of flattery. Perhaps even higher than a comment. Personally, I get more gratification from a few constructive comments or favorites than dozens of generic comments. I can't help but think of all the time spent writing comments that could be spent stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Sometimes I wish we didn't have the ability to know anything...number of views/comments/favoriteds. I would love to be able to just enjoy the artwork people are sharing willingly without worrying that people think I'm rude because I don't comment every time I open a card or save it to my favorites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #39  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Ya know....about 6 months ago I went and commented on all the cards in my faves. I felt like if I liked it enough to put it into my favorites, I dang well better comment on it. Still feel that way!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

All I can say is that it is an HONOR to me to have been favorited (new verb!) by someone, and that I will not look a gift horse in the mouth! Comment or no, I don't care, just knowing that someone took the time to favorite me thrills me to no end.
Reply With Quote Likes