Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-stamp related uses for rubber scraps

I've come up with some non-stamp related uses for the scraps of rubber that are left after you trim your stamps. Today I needed a spacer for one of those hanging shoe storage racks. You know the type that hang on a door and have clear pockets. I use them for storing lots of small items on my craft room door. Well, the door I was hanging the rack on wouldn't close and upon further inspection I discovered that the door wasn't thick enough to hold the hangers in a horizontal position so I needed a spacer under the hangers. My first thought was a plastic grocery bag, but it wasn't firm enough to do the job. So I mentally went over ideas realizing that I didn't want something unsightly I decided that I needed something that would fit on the back of the hanger. Then it dawned on me that the rubber scraps that I had been saving fit the bill. They have adhesive so they would stick on the hanger and I could cut them thin enough that they wouldn't show. Viola, they worked perfectly. Suddenly it occurred to me that the scraps I've been saving would solve some other problems I was needing to address. I am painting some cabinet doors and need to replace the cushions that fit on the edge to prevent them from closing too hard and also muffling the sound. They should work perfectly for that purpose. We just had our exterior doors varnished and I need to hang a wreath, but don't want to scratch the newly varnished doors. The rubber scraps will prevent scratches plus help keep the wreath straight. They would work wonderfully for the backs of pictures that seem to go crooked and also protect the walls at the same time. Or how about putting them under decorative items to protect your tabletop? If you are missing a rubber foot off of something you can make your own replacement by cutting it to size. Another use that is stamp related is putting them under your stamp pad to keep it from slipping around when you ink your stamp or use the brayer on the pad. They also keep my ink pads from sliding off the narrow shelf I have that is on the same wall as the door to my craft room. The opening and closing of the door makes them slide off over time, but that's no longer a problem when I stick rubber scraps on them. My plastic silverware tray always slips to the back of the drawer, but I can solve that with rubber scraps. Hmm, guess I need to buy some more stamps. I need more scraps!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 07:10 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Now you got me thinking....what a wonderful light bulb moment.

Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

How smart are you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Oooooooh.....how about as little feet for the tile coasters that we make? It would keep the coaster from slipping?!?!? TYVM for the awesomely clever ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's a good idea for the coasters. Another idea to add to the list.

Oooh, you just gave me an idea. Stamp a larger tile, put rubber scraps underneath and you have a hot pad. The rubber scraps would keep it from slipping around and also raise it up enough so the heat that is transferred through the tile won't hurt the surface it is on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 06:19 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I need to place a stamp order because I always throw away the rubber. I need to let my SIL know about the coaster idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

If you put them on the bottom of your stamp pads your pads will stay put when using them. I also put several on the bottom of my Fiskars Rotary Cutter and it stays firmly in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 07:42 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Or you could be like my DS and decorate your face with them!