Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   What size acrylic blocks do you use the most. (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/what-size-acrylic-blocks-do-you-use-most-151377/)

Lisa62 06-02-2006 12:22 PM

What size acrylic blocks do you use the most.

I am looking into getting some acrylic blocks so I can start going to unmounted stamps.My question is Do I really need to get all the sizes.or can I get away with just buying the next size up.to avoid getting blocks I really don't need to get.What sizes would I need.

I went thru Su's book and So far I have only a 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 ,and a 1 x 1 inch block.After putting the 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 block on a lot of stamps that I already have.I went thru su's catalog since they show actually size.So when I put the block on most of the stamps I have I found out that if I go to the next size up on some of them I can get by with it.Which means that I really don't need to buy all of the block sizes.

Do any of you do this also.or do you find that you do really use them all.Will there be a stamping problem when I stamp if the block is a little bigger than what I need.

I have 1 stamp by CTMH and I really like thier blcoks since they have the rounded edges.I also have a 1x1 block and it has sharper edges not at all like ctmh's.

Mahloumel 06-02-2006 01:50 PM

I will be following this thread! So far I have just a large acrylic block from Michaels that I use for anything that doesn't fit on my little 1x1 clear lid from a flat-lidded stamp pad. Any time a coupon comes up for Mikes, I always have something else I'd rather get than the other sizes of acrylic blocks.

GarnetJ 06-02-2006 01:51 PM

Lisa.... Since you already have a couple of small blocks, I would suggest that you get one just large enough for a full card. About 4.5" x 6". You can use that for anything from your 2.5" block and and a background stamp.
If you get one just a little bigger you will eventually want another one alittle bigger and so on. Might as well just get one that will work with all your stamps

GarnetJ 06-02-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
So far I have just a large acrylic block from Michaels that I use for anything that doesn't fit on my little 1x1 clear lid from a flat-lidded stamp pad.

Hi Melanie... It is nice to have some little blocks too. Look on ebay and put in a really low bid. If you don't get what you want, just wait.... there are lots of them out there.

gmcbunny 06-02-2006 02:00 PM

I use the 1x1, 2x2, 2.5x2.5 and the 3x3 the most. I also have a 1.5x1.5 block from Technique Tuesday that comes in handy (SHHHHH don't tell on me :) )

Kauai17 06-02-2006 02:11 PM

The ones I use the most are 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3. I have four other sizes as well! You shouldn't have a problem if you put a smaller stamp on a larger block..at least I don't! The blocks by TAC also have the "rounded" edges on one side (except the 1x1) it makes it really easy to hold!!

annabelle1974 06-02-2006 02:44 PM

I wish I had never paid the money for the big background one. I prefer to lay my stamps rubber side up and just do it that way. The others that I use and use all the time are 1.5 x 1.5, 1.5 x 2.5, 3 x3, 1.5 x 6.5, and 2 x 4.5. It is well worth the money to buy the gridded ones at Walmart with the rounded edges.

kphorse 06-02-2006 03:25 PM

I have about every size block you could have! Two drawers full! Such a waste, but I didn't know then what I do now!

Check Sunday International. www.sundayint.com They have really good deals on blocks, some in sets that save you $$.

I have never used the 12" I got! Hardley ever use the BG one (easier to lay it on the table), but I did end up buy several of the small ones in duplicate. If I am working on something, I hate to peel off to change the stamp. I rather have a couple of extras.

I got 6 great blocks for $9.00 + s & h. They also carry the gridblocks brand. Wal-Mart has one in stock, but I'm not sure of the quality as I have not used it. The gridblock brand, they hold up to everything!

HTH

Karen

kphorse 06-02-2006 03:30 PM

Slap me I've been up since 3 AM.

I use the 1 x 3, 1.5 x 1.5, 1.5 x 4, 2 x 3, and the 3 x 3 the most!

HTH

Karen

Cheese! I can't spell either! LOL

scpd 06-02-2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse
Slap me I've been up sice 3 AM.
I use the 1 x 3, 1.5 x 1.5, 1.5 x 4, 2 x 3, and the 3 x 3 the most!

What she said -- only no slapping, please!;) Those are the most-often used block sizes in my 'arsenal', too. I have posted this before, but you may find that using Evo Templates (square or rectangle) works well, too -- if you have some, give them a try before you spend a whole lotta $$ on acrylic blocks! I love things that do double-duty, anyway. Here's the link, in case you're not familiar with Evolving Images and their nifty templates ==> www.evolving-images.com

jeanstamping2 06-02-2006 05:46 PM

I also use 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 1x 7, and I have a 1x8.5 That I like using with my Ribbon Stamps.
I do like the Acrylic Blocks they are easy to use and clean.
I have one Large block that I have only used a time or two. But I don't have any Background stamps.

Suzastampin 06-03-2006 03:27 AM

I always suggest the 2x2 and the 4x4 as the first blocks to purchase. Most stamps will fit on one of these blocks. I like the 4x4 also to put a group of stamps on to random stamp a background. It's a lot faster than stamping each stamp individually, and the random stamping is more uniform that way.

Suz
CTMH Director

annabelle1974 06-03-2006 06:13 AM

Suz, what a GREAT idea! I have been putting groups on a large block to stamp the cards to go in the front, but never thought of it for actual stamping. Hey, you could put lots of saying on it in different directions and get a cool background that way too!

mschoener 06-03-2006 06:22 AM

I buy from TAC and CTMH besides SU and have 2 long narrow blocks and some of the smaller ones. The only one I didn't get was a really large b/g one because all you really need to do is lay the b/g out upside down, ink it up and then brayer your c/s over it, so don't really need a block for it. I have a 1" sq., 1 1/2" sq., 2 1/2" sq. and I think a 2" sq. They all seem to work fine for what I have. I think I purchased the assortment from TAC.

NancyK. 06-03-2006 08:40 AM

I've got about seven blocks in various sizes. The real small ones are good, as well as a long narrow one. Don't forget a large one to fit your backgrounds.

BsmtScrapper 06-03-2006 08:45 AM

CTMH acrylic blocks

I have all of them except for the one that is 11" long. I just don't make words that long. I use my 1 x 3.5 ALOT with the "word puzzle" sets. So much that I just bought a 2nd one. Next to that, I use the 2.5 x 2.5 square often. I have alot of the alphabets and word puzzle sets.

I found that I like the block to fit the stamp I'm using. Inevitably I rock the block on the ink pad and paper and end up with ink on my paper where I don't want it.

ajcmeyer 06-03-2006 09:00 AM

2 x 2 must have!!! The rest I just read what the set calls for in the CTMH catty and decide if I need it or I can make do with the blocks I already have.

mnhyrkas 06-03-2006 11:31 AM

I've been using UM systems for about 6 mo now. I have a clear acyrlic block set that I got with a coupon from M's. It has a grid line on it which is very helpful in lining up the stamps. It also has rounded edges which makes it comfortable. The sizes are 2 1/2 x 2, and 4 x 3. I find between these two, I can use the majority of the stamps I own. Ocassionally I will nick the ink on the edge of the block if I'm using a larger block than my stamp, but it's easy to wipe off so it doesnt get on your project.
When I was UM some of my SU sets if I came to an unusual size (long, narrow or tiny words) I just kept the wood block and put some Aleens tack it over on the block. I cant see through the block, but I can still postition it by looking at the edge.

happy2stamp 06-03-2006 11:42 AM

I think it's nice to have several different sizes, for some reason, I like using the smallest block possible when stamping. I guess it makes me feel like I have more "control" (which actually defies logic). My favorite place to buy online is ebay, http://stores.ebay.com/Simon-Says-STAMP, my latest favorite store.

The bigger the blocks, it seems like you can line up phrases and pictures well, but if you have multiple sizes of blocks, you can design each block individually and change placement, etc of your flowers, or balloons, words, or whatever. It's also nice when inking up one block at a time to change colors on different parts of your images. Know what I mean?

Suzastampin 06-03-2006 11:58 AM

I figured something out the other day that worked out well. I was in a hurry and couldn't lay my hand on my 2x2 block, so I grabbed the 4x4. I was using a Thank You stamp that was one line. I put it on the upper end of the block, instead of in the middle. I grabbed the block more like a handle and used it that way.
I have found with the clear stamps and blocks that I no longer have the urge to rock my stamps because I can actually see the ink transfering.

Suz