Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Default What is the "potatoe peeler distressing method?"

Hi all, in a previous thread I asked about bone folders & their use and someone mentioned using it instead of a potatoe peeler for distressing. I am very curious about both kinds of distressing, how do you do them?

It's only an addiction if you're trying to stop....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry...had to clear the water out of my nose after it came spewing out...

Ah, I imagine somebody was just referring to using a potato peeler to distress the edges of the paper? By running it along the edge of the paper, as if, you know, peeling....? Honestly, I can't possibly think of anything else.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Sounds dangerous to me - I have enough trouble not cutting myself up when scissor distressing

So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcbunny
Sounds dangerous to me - I have enough trouble not cutting myself up when scissor distressing
how do you do scissor distressing??? All this distressing is stressing me out....
I see these great cards with distressed edges and I try and do it and looks like I wrecked the thing and I'm not giving someone a ratty looking card. I don't know how to use the bone folder, the potatoe peeler or a scissor for distressing!! Maybe I'll just keep making cards with clean edges, or torn ones!!

It's only an addiction if you're trying to stop....
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

OMG!!! potato peeler distressing????!!! So anyway..... scissors, bone folder, peeler - all are used to rub along the edge of a layer piece to rough it up. I use my finger nails...but anything to just keep rubbing until you like the effect. I love the new SU cutter tool with the distressing thingy. It's really easy to get a distressed look. HOWEVER, I may have to get out the potato peeler at my next workshop just to see the look on the groups faces.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2006, 02:54 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Rox71 mentioned in another thread about using sewing tools for stamping that she has used a seam ripper to distress the edges of her cards. Since I already have a seam ripper it's an idea I'm going to try...sounds as if it would work beautifully!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:29 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Ok, I had to laugh when I saw this thread. It was ME that mentioned the potato peeler but it's not a tool, it's a technique!!!
You hold the cardstock in your left hand, edge facing the ceiling, and hold the bone folder in your right hand. Draw the bone folder towards you across the edge of the CS, stopping at your thumb. If you have ever peeled potatoes the old fashioned way, with a knife, it's the same movement.
Try it! It's a really fast way of distressing and it doesn't ruin your nails. Of course now we have that adorable Cutter Kit to do this...
Old 08-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #8  
KJ
Matboard Maniac

I've never heard of a potatoe peeler for distressing. Hmmmm. Something new to try. I've only used my bone folder for getting good creases in the fold of my card. Works really well if you don't want to take the time to score a line prior to folding.

Making Memories makes a distressing tool. It's a plastic toold with a notch in it. You put it over the edge of the paper and pull it along the edge. I believe it has a blade up in their. Kind a reminds me of those thread cutter necklaces. The notch is about 2" deep so no little fingers could ever get up in the blade. However, they could probably destroy some stuff if they figure out how to use it.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:35 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Hey, Scarlet!!! This is such a hoot! I really wondered about the potato peeler method - I guess that's how new techniques are born - totally by misunderstandings. I'm glad you saw this thread to set it straight.
I have to say, though, that I peel my potatoes with a going away motion...maybe I'll try that motion for distressing.....LOL! great morning starter...
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Old 08-18-2006, 06:38 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyj30
.... HOWEVER, I may have to get out the potato peeler at my next workshop just to see the look on the groups faces.

Got a GREAT big laugh at that one! Thanks!!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Old 08-18-2006, 06:50 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I distress with one of those "woo hoo you've been approved for X mega bucks" credit cards that come in the mail. They work good and the edges aren't sharp enough to draw blood.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:57 AM   #12  

I just got my hands on the Cutter Kit from SU and I have to say it is totally cool. I am in love with the perforating tool, and the blade tool is really awesome for a variety of uses. And of course the scorer is really useful. But the distressing tool is SO fast! It takes a fraction of the time of a bone folder or credit card. Or a potato peeler : ) Hee hee!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:18 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I have to say if I was into the whole distressing thing I would get the cutter kit. I tried the distressing tool at my uplines last meeting and it worked quite well. When it was just something in the catty I was a bit skeptical but it really is quite simple. That being said I kinda want the perforating tool so I can make those cool card/bookmarks I keep seeing.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I bought the cutter tool kit, too! Wow, it distresses in a second compared to all the other ways. I really love it. I put it in my apron pocket when I am at workshops or stamp camps and its not bulky or anything. Works great!
Now a potato peeler? Well, I cut up my hands enough just peeling potatoes, I don't think I will try it with my paper.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyj30
Hey, Scarlet!!! This is such a hoot! I really wondered about the potato peeler method - I guess that's how new techniques are born - totally by misunderstandings. I'm glad you saw this thread to set it straight.
I have to say, though, that I peel my potatoes with a going away motion...maybe I'll try that motion for distressing.....LOL! great morning starter...
I meant the old fashioned way, you know, how some people peel apples? My parents used to holler at me and tell me I was going to cut my thumb off someday! It does work, though.