Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   What people really think when.... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/what-people-really-think-when-126808/)

4stampin 03-07-2006 09:44 AM

What people really think when....

Okay. I'm throwing this out there because I'm just curious. I give my stamped cards, I give cards as a gift set. I create things with my stamps for gifts and for the people I do give these too they seem really appreciative and like the ideas.

From your experiences, what have been your reactions (from others) when you given someone your hand-stamped items? Or better yet, what has been your reactions of being a receiver of a hand stamped card or gift.

Here is my reaction. I LOVE em'!! I love seeing that people took the time to create something for me, I love the thought and energy they put into it. Do you think others feel the same?

StacyBeth 03-07-2006 09:49 AM

I don't think that people who don't do paper crafting (stamping., scrapbooking or whatever) have a true appreciation for hand-stamped cards. My mother is the only exception. Many people that I give hand-made cards to don't even realize that I made them myself.. and I don't want to say "I made that" Also, the people who do know that I made the card think that it is fabulous JUST because I made it.... to them it doesn't matter if it is a cool technique, triple matted with tons of embellishments, or just a stamped outline image on a single layer of CS... they love it either way.

BasketMom 03-07-2006 09:50 AM

I love getting hand-crafted gifts, regardless if it's stamped, quilted, sewed or painted! I just like gifts from the heart. The majority of people I give stamped gifts to like them. I give notecards a lot - that's really all I stamp and giveaway. I have gotten mostly good responses but after a couple of years of giving my SIL crafty items, she asked if I could just give her gift cards from now on "so she could get what she wants". Seems sort of impersonal to me - but then again, that's exactly how I'd describe her entire personality, so I guess it fits!

Rosestamping 03-07-2006 09:54 AM

All my friends love to receive them. The men are especially amazed I make them. My husband does not hesitate to tell everyone the card only cost $19.95. Little does he know!!!!!

-----------------------------

Doris
Hampton VA

Joan B 03-07-2006 09:58 AM

Perhaps it is a reflection on my paper crafting, but my experience has been -- lukewarm!!

miss 03-07-2006 09:59 AM

When my Mom's friend was diagnosed with cancer I sent her a handstamped card & she called to tell my Mom how much she loved it! Her kind words really meant a lot to me.

I never thought my own mother appreciated them however, until she said to me "where was my handstamped valentine? or whatever the holiday was that I missed. I gave her a pack to send fro Christmas & she has used almost all! I am so pleased that she likes them & need to make more.

I think there still are many people who "don't get it" & will say stupid things like "you must have too mcuh time on your hands". We have to try not to let them get to us & get our validation right here on SCS!!!

karinlm 03-07-2006 10:03 AM

I personally think it is hit or miss. I gave my mother some cards for Christmas and she loved them. I've sent plenty of hand made cards and had positive feedback as well BUT I have had some take a look at them an not really care that they were made by me and I take will only send/give things that I feel are store quality.

RidiculouslyAddicted 03-07-2006 10:04 AM

Varying Responses

Quote:

Perhaps it is a reflection on my paper crafting, but my experience has been -- lukewarm!!
I would say it is definitely NOT a reflection on your paper crafting! You do beautiful stuff! I really think that it depends on the person you are giving to. I have some people who LOVE the cards I give them, and others who don't really seem to care. Sometimes it's not who I expect!

I also would have to say that men seem to appreciate them more -- perhaps because it's further out of the realm of what they do. My stamping friends also appreciate them a lot.

A few months ago, I was looking through the catty on the bus, and a woman that I speak to once in a while asked what it was, and when I explained what I do, she said, "Well, it seems like a huge waste of time and money to be making and giving those away to people who will just throw them in the garbage." That hurt!! I know it's true in most cases, but I don't like to think of my hard work going into the trash can!! I know my bf saves EVERY single card I've ever given him...

MilwaukeeMommy 03-07-2006 10:10 AM

Well, my mom definitely doesn't get it. She's never been into crafts, has never wanted to learn crafts, & doesn't understand people who like to do crafts. My grandma, however (yes, my mom's mom) has always loved every form of crafting & really appreciates the cards I give her.

Otherwise, I usually try to stick with sharing among my fellow stampers. At least I know they appreciate them :)

I really need to get into a swap or two so I can do more "sharing", lol!!

Michelle

stamper1996 03-07-2006 10:35 AM

My reactions have been all over the place. I have some friends who will actually call or email after they've received a card I've sent them, raving about it. That always makes me feel good.

OTOH, there are some folks who don't have a reaction either way. For instance, I made a Christmas gift basket for a girlfriend of mine. She's really into her dog, so I stamped dish towels with a dog theme, some cards, and tucked in dog treats and dog toys and wrapped it up in a basket with cellophane. Looked great (to me, anyway!). She opened it and didn't say much, so I don't know if she liked it or was disappointed. Needless to say, I won't put as much effort into a gift the next time around. . .

Rene

rocketgirl96 03-07-2006 10:52 AM

Depends on the person

I too have gotten a wide range of reactions from people.
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I think it's a reflection of how materialistic our society has become that more people don't appreciate the work we put into hand made gifts. It used to be "the thought" that counts, but now, unless it's on a "wish list" or a gift card, most people don't seem to appreciate it. I'm very selective of who I make gifts/cards for because of this very reason.
I hope I am just jaded and that other people are getting much better reactions.

Christine

mamakimberly 03-07-2006 11:00 AM

My old stepmom didn't appreciate them at all and mocked them sometimes. She even thought that we should sell her our handmade creations for 50 cents or LESS! Blech!

My new stepmom loves them... she ooohs and ahhhhs and we made her a lunchbox tin full of cards and she went NUTS! She's wayyyy into appreciating them.

Guess who gets more cards from me?? ;)

stamper-c 03-07-2006 11:07 AM

The reactions I get are lukewarm too....I gave hand stamped card sets to teachers , troop leaders and bus drivers at the end of the year last year and never rec'd thanks or comments, made scarves this year for the holidays, very few thanks and I have yet to see anyone wear them! It is frustrating b/c if you are willing to make something for someone, it is obviously something you love to do and to not even get a thank you is hurtful. My family is really no different...my parents seem to appreciate the work and compliment what I do (b/c they're my parents?! ;) ) but my mom tells me she has enough cards that the Vets mass-produce and send out that she doesn't need me to make her any...my inlaws say they are nice but no one ever says, Gee can you make me some? There are times when I feel like, why bother making something for someone, they don't care! I sometimes feel that maybe they think I am taking a "cheap" way out by making the gifts...little do they know how much that "cheap" gift cost me!!!
I made my Xmas cards, put my name stamp on the back...out of 50+ cards, got only one comment that they like them...others were, did you make those? oh! (Grrrrrr!!!!!)
I love crafting and would love to receive (and appreciate) a handcrafted item from someone but no one else I know has the same interest and if they do, they only dabble in it so not much is produced!!
I have started joining in on the challenges here b/c then I at least feel like I have a purpose for making my cards and can hone my skills and I have found it very enjoyable.
I do participate in a yearly craft fair and have done ok...got some compliments...good boost of confidence but then on the other hand, I have had people say, why would I need something like that? but those people are out there...
I would love to become a demo, but I know I wouldn't have any customers!! and I dont want to be my own best customer!!! Either does my DH!!!

so, there you have it...thanks for asking...:)

LilLuvsStampin 03-07-2006 11:07 AM

I, too, get mixed reactions. For the most part, people have expressed how much they appreciate the time I took to make them a special birthday card or whatever the occasion may be. There are two ladies here at work who have the cards I have given them displayed on their office wall for all to see. My mom, of course, is prejudice and thinks my work is spectacular, even though I know there are so many others who do truly outstanding work. I have also had those individuals (a few here at work) who have never commented at all and it makes me wonder. I figure as long as I'm happy doing it and giving them away (or even selling them), that's what's most important. It makes me feel really good when I take the time to let my creativity come out and spend the time making something special. I also LOVE to get them but don't have many friends who do this for a hobby, so I still mostly get the "boring" store bought cards.

Mahloumel 03-07-2006 11:14 AM

I'm very lucky that my family is pretty appreciative of my cards, and two or three best friends (including my DH) who are artists and really appreciate all the details I include in my cards and scrapbooks. They are people I am happy to go all out for (time and talent being the two limiting factors) knowing they will "feel the love". :)

SammyStamper 03-07-2006 11:20 AM

Mine are also mixed. I feel great when someone is shocked that I made the card. Thankfully enough people know that now and point it out and I don't have to. Usually they figure it out when it gets flipped over and it doesn't say "Hallmark." I didn't think my grandma liked them until she told my mom "Sammy hasn't sent me any of her little cards lately." Now that is all she gets and she puts them on display. My MIL actually asked for sets of Thank you cards for Christmas. I include a gift card to Joann's as well. I have never had good luck selling anything crafty and I do a lot, so now I stick with gifts for those that will appreciate it.

It is hard to hear the nasty remarks from those that don't craft. I got tired of the old "You must have too much time on your hands." I live in the Bay Area, do you know how long it takes to drive anywhere?! If only I could stamp in traffic!

gmcbunny 03-07-2006 12:09 PM

i usually get a mixed reaction - but then I have to agree with the majority here if the recipient is a crafter the card is appreciated otherwise its 50-50

ADK 03-07-2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper-c
The reactions I get are lukewarm too....I gave hand stamped card sets to teachers , troop leaders and bus drivers at the end of the year last year and never rec'd thanks or comments, made scarves this year for the holidays, very few thanks and I have yet to see anyone wear them! It is frustrating b/c if you are willing to make something for someone, it is obviously something you love to do and to not even get a thank you is hurtful. My family is really no different...my parents seem to appreciate the work and compliment what I do (b/c they're my parents?! ;) ) but my mom tells me she has enough cards that the Vets mass-produce and send out that she doesn't need me to make her any...my inlaws say they are nice but no one ever says, Gee can you make me some? There are times when I feel like, why bother making something for someone, they don't care! I sometimes feel that maybe they think I am taking a "cheap" way out by making the gifts...little do they know how much that "cheap" gift cost me!!!
I made my Xmas cards, put my name stamp on the back...out of 50+ cards, got only one comment that they like them...others were, did you make those? oh! (Grrrrrr!!!!!)
I love crafting and would love to receive (and appreciate) a handcrafted item from someone but no one else I know has the same interest and if they do, they only dabble in it so not much is produced!!
I have started joining in on the challenges here b/c then I at least feel like I have a purpose for making my cards and can hone my skills and I have found it very enjoyable.
I do participate in a yearly craft fair and have done ok...got some compliments...good boost of confidence but then on the other hand, I have had people say, why would I need something like that? but those people are out there...
I would love to become a demo, but I know I wouldn't have any customers!! and I dont want to be my own best customer!!! Either does my DH!!!

so, there you have it...thanks for asking...:)

You should join the RAK Group.....you can send out cards to ladies who appreciate them on their birthdays and you might just get a few cards too ;)

JennstampsCO 03-07-2006 01:03 PM

I try not to care what happens to the cards when I send them. I figure I like to make them, and that's the fun part. However, I don't really send many hand-made cards to certain people because I know they don't care and aren't really into hand-made stuff in general. Or, I will send them cards that I ended up not liking that much. lol It's hard for me to send out my most favorite cards, so they are just sitting around collecting dust, or I send them to my mom since she is a stamper and appreciates things like that.

Jennifer

4stampin 03-07-2006 01:04 PM

Joining a Stamp club too, you'll get a lot of appreciation that way. I don't expect reactions from people. I was just curious as to what types of reactions others received. I gave a gift card set to my daugthers teacher (different occasions) and she absolutely loved it. I think it depends on the type of person you give it too-like fellow stampers, scrapbookers, crafters, people who really know what time and effort you put into it. I'm in two different stamp clubs and I know all of us really appreciate each others efforts and ideas. Stamping Rocks!!!!

abbyzmommy 03-07-2006 01:16 PM

I come from a family of crafters. After I started stamping if I gave somebody a store bought card they would give me this hangdog look and ask why I hadn't made one. I guess they appreciate it at least the women. I don't know that the guys appreciate one over the other.

luvtostampstampstamp 03-07-2006 01:20 PM

I love to give and receive stamped creations! Cards or any non-card stamped thing! Love em'! I agree with others, people who are not papercrafter's probably don't appreciate them as much...I know one lady that asks why we don't just buy some of the 99 cent cards at the dollar store! Argh!

CardFanatic 03-07-2006 01:25 PM

I only make cards and sticky note pad covers. I get mixed reactions. At work, most people usually ooh and ahhh and make me feel really good! My SIL is very materialistic and I get no comment at all from her. My mom, MIL, FIL & his GF all love my cards. My grandma says I'm getting better at it :rolleyes: She's always critical at something! My DH loves my cards, of coarse. Everyone else is pretty much in the middle.. 'that was nice of you' type of thing.

luvtostampstampstamp 03-07-2006 01:34 PM

As far as reactions, they are always favorable! I just did two altered clippies and I was unsure of what the reaction would be...they were going to non-stampers. But the reaction was awesome, they absolutely LOVED em'!! Talk about inspiring!

luvtostampstampstamp 03-07-2006 01:35 PM

OOPs, double post! :)

RidiculouslyAddicted 03-07-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

After I started stamping if I gave somebody a store bought card they would give me this hangdog look and ask why I hadn't made one. I guess they appreciate it at least the women. I don't know that the guys appreciate one over the other.
I don't know that the guys appreciate a card at all to tell you the truth!! :rolleyes:

GarnetJ 03-07-2006 02:35 PM

Is it fun???

I like what Jennifer said about making the card is the fun part.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JennstampsCO
I figure I like to make them, and that's the fun part. However, I don't really send many hand-made cards to certain people because I know they don't care and aren't really into hand-made stuff in general. Jennifer

Most of my friends are VERY affirmative... lots of oohs and aahs. Especially those who are artists; creative; crafty.
One sister always thanks me. But, I did just realize that I should not expect praise from my other sister for a card with my monthly note. Am supposing that she thinks I am boasting. I still send her a handmade card for birthdays and holidays, just not every month.
By the way... somewhere out there on the net is a rubber stamp that says... "If you think I stamped this card because I'm too cheap to buy one, then you haven't seen the price of rubber stamps lately."

janarah 03-07-2006 05:27 PM

I enjoy getting and giving handmade items. I even save cards kids made for me at school. It means a lot more to me to get a handmade card or gift than getting something bought from the store with no thought involved. I know someone who makes cards and she never gives me a handmade one. I have to wonder, Am I not worthy of a handmade card from her? It really hurts my feelings when she gives me dollar store cards and I know she is very into stamping them. As far as people throwing them away, I agree with whoever said the fun is in making and giving so it doesn't matter what they do with them. I would hope they would at least try to recycle it. I have not used a store bought card in 3 years and don't plan on buying any in the future.

SwissMrs 03-07-2006 05:32 PM

When I give someone a handstamped gift or card I tend to get lot's of "WOW", you made that"? When I am on the receiving end of something hand made I truely appreciate it because I know all the hard work and thought that went into it.

BsmtScrapper 03-07-2006 05:52 PM

It's hit & miss...

I have had both reactions. My mom and crafty friends RAVE and have gotten very excited over stuff I've made. I participate in a monthly card exchange with friends... I love the ideas and it's fun to talk about everybody's ideas.

OTOH My sisters, who aren't into this kind of stuff don't always say much. Plus, I have made stuff for people at work, and it really depends on the person. I once made a notepads and cards for my co-workers...later I walked into my boss' office and actually caught her ripping the front cover off the notepad so she could use it. She looked at me, I looked at her and we never spoke about it. Since then we have had meetings and talked about Christmas and gift exchanges and I have heard her or other say "no homemade stuff". As if a cheap candle from walmart would be better. (I'm not bitter!) Mind blowing.

I send a cards each holiday to my family and when I don't one month-- I usually hear about it from certain people. They want to know if they have been "dropped" from my list. Hahaha. It's always nice to have positive feedback.

That's another reason I love this site-- Whenever I can, I look for cards to check out those w/o many comments and make sure people hear something good. Maybe because I like to hear it so much.

Amy05 03-07-2006 07:38 PM

Everybody loves mine so I guess I owe all of you a big thank you! I case so many cards here. Actually, I am selective in who I give them to. People who comment on my work receive more cards...
Yes, I enjoy making them but receiving the compliments is great too.

RidiculouslyAddicted 03-07-2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

I once made a notepads and cards for my co-workers...later I walked into my boss' office and actually caught her ripping the front cover off the notepad so she could use it. She looked at me, I looked at her and we never spoke about it. Since then we have had meetings and talked about Christmas and gift exchanges and I have heard her or other say "no homemade stuff". As if a cheap candle from walmart would be better. (I'm not bitter!) Mind blowing
ROFLMAO -- NOT at you!!! This just reminded me of the Christmas episode of "The Office" where he gets a pair of knitted oven mitts in the exchange, and he's given away an iPod, despite the fact that HE made the $20 limit...
I totally agree with you! I made a couple of select people afghans this Christmas, and I know they REALLY appreciated them, because they know how much time and effort went into them (my bf knew especially, because I told him how long everyone else's took! ;) )
I always appreciate handmade gifts from people. It really touches me that someone would spend their time on something for ME! And nowadays, handmade stuff actually tends to cost more to make than to purchase something mass produced (and uglier!!) of the same type of item!!

stampscout 03-08-2006 03:37 AM

It doesn't matter to me if no one comments about the cards I give, but those who comment get more and get the nicer ones :) I wasn't sure about my Christmas cards this past year but have received many positive comments from those who received them, biggest booster was SIL's parents. At the office everyone makes sure I know it's their birthday so they can get a handmade card--talk about a high. My boss wants me to make and sell them. (She'll get a set of her own as birthday gift this year.) DIL asked me to make her baby thank-you cards--the ultimate compliment! In the end, I enjoy making and giving the cards and those who like them are the ultimate. It's thanks to this site I've become a better stamper. :)

prbloom 03-08-2006 05:54 AM

My MIL is my biggest fan and "needs" the most cards! She always says she doesn't have enough, even if I've jus sent her new ones! For me that's the best that it gets! I think my DH is my biggest fan and he always has to have a stash of cards on hand at the office for him to give out. Last week I took a friend's Mom out to lunch, she's 92, and she asked me to make some of my new Froggie cards for her to give to a friend of hers! I think that about says it all of why we do what we do!!

Paula

Rush'd Lady 04-12-2006 04:28 PM

People at church always rave over my cards. Pastor sends out birthday and anniversary cards. He says he's always needing more masculine cards than anything. In his previous life, before he became a Pastor, he and his wife owned a card & gift shop, so that's a compliment to me. I've had people tell me they keep every card I've ever made & given them as a piece of "art".

However, on the family side, I don't get many kudos. MY MIL first asked for pretty stamped cards when I first began stamping, so I gave everybody 1 dozen cards for their Christmas' for several years. My sister told me right off, she wasn't sending them to me. My other one never mails anything, she'd rather call somebody. MY mother is a former ceramist, watercolor artist, & scrapbooker, but she snubbs stamping, although I scrap too. Last year I gave her a rose card & she promptly disassembled it to use parts of it in her scrapbook. I tried to tell myself that at least she reused it as clipart in her scrapbook, but the ink was barely dry and it hurt my feelings. I discovered my other relatives would stash them, forget abt. them, & never use them, so last year, I didn't make anything crafty for the relatives. However, my friends were "gifted", esp. the stamping ones! :D
I appreciate the comments on my cards. At least I can feel good abt. something I craft here. :D

SilverDragoness 04-12-2006 04:34 PM

I've had mostly positive reactions but I just thought I would throw this out there. My brother and I always recieve giftcards from our relatives to stores that we wouldn't even normally shop at. I wish they would put a little more thought into their gifts sometimes and I think he would agree with me. It kind of feels like they don't care. Also some people just aren't that great about giving feedback to gifts.

GWTW Junkie 04-13-2006 09:39 AM

I have had people tell me they have never thrown away a single card I sent them--that makes me happy (although I am a prolific card-sender so I do wonder where they're putting them!)
My mother buys hundreds of cards from me to send to her patients (she's a naturopathic doctor). Lucky patients to get handmade birthday, sympathy, get well and thinking of you cards, I say!
Last night I gave a dear friend a mini-card-scrapbook thingy I learned at the Milwaukee Regional SU convention and SHE ACTUALLY CRIED when she read it! Isn't that too cool!? Now there's appreciation for you!
Has anyone ever noticed that your stamping friends DON'T send you hand-made cards after you became a demo? My guess is that they're too intimidated now. As for me, the pressure's on now that I'm a professional... every card has to be perfect!

AZShann 04-13-2006 09:45 AM

I have had good luck with praise. Mostly, I give cards to my grandma's...they wouldn't care if I put a post-it note in an envie as long as I sent them something. They share it with everyone in the family so I write very general stuff. I sometimes wonder though what my mom thinks of them. She never really says. Suprisingly, my mother-in-law raves over them.

Last week, dh's aunt was in from MI. I showed her my stuff and she just loved them. I gave her 6 cards before she left.

I am also making the little card holders with cards, for the mom's, grandma's, and two of dh's aunts for Mother's Day. I'll make some for my aunts if I have time. His aunts are the ones who think my stuff is just great.

when in doubt, stamp it! 04-13-2006 02:17 PM

I recently sent a baby congrats card to one of my stamping swap buddies and I've talked to her twice since sending it and she has said nothing about it (sniffle!) I thought it was cute...I'm not sure what to think! Sometimes I wonder why I do it - stamp and send when the feedback is nil - but I do love sending RAK's - because I don't expect any feedback and I know it's appreciated. I love to stamp, so I'm going to keep stamping!

Rush'd Lady 04-13-2006 04:45 PM

Is stamping and crafting in general, your "therapy", like it is mine? :D